Stop self harm tips? - Age 40+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Stop self harm tips?

Self harm EDNOS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chihiro123

Chihiro123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:02 PM

I have had a long history of self harm going back to around age 6. I have had 2 recent episodes where I scratched 2 holes in my left arm and on another day, I clawed my skin off under my sleeve. Both times I was under extreme duress. I'm seeking help. Does anyone have similar experiences? What do you do to curb the urge because my current urge is to start reducing the food I eat and being super restrictive, use excuses and drop back down into officially under weight for my height. I'm only a few pounds away from the minimum heathy weight for my height. But I am stuck. Being skinny is way easier to make excuses & lies for than bandaid and then tell tale scars on the forearm.
  • shannie and branlew like this

#2 shannie

shannie

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts
  • LocationDown South

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:36 PM

I have had a long history of self harm going back to around age 6. I have had 2 recent episodes where I scratched 2 holes in my left arm and on another day, I clawed my skin off under my sleeve. Both times I was under extreme duress. I'm seeking help. Does anyone have similar experiences? What do you do to curb the urge because my current urge is to start reducing the food I eat and being super restrictive, use excuses and drop back down into officially under weight for my height. I'm only a few pounds away from the minimum heathy weight for my height. But I am stuck. Being skinny is way easier to make excuses & lies for than bandaid and then tell tale scars on the forearm.

Oh, I’ve been there and I am so sorry you’re in so much pain xo 

the most humiliating experience I ever had was being admitted to the hospital and having to strip in front of the nurse so she could document identifying marks on my body and her seeing my inner thighs and literally saying Oh my god!!  Did you do that to yourself!!??   Omg...my inner thighs look like just one big mass of scar tissue...so ugly and so humiliating. 

For me, a lot of my self harm urges subsided substantially after several months in the hospital being weight restored and not having access to sharp objects....they even made me keep my nails super short.  I also started a med for anxiety and ocd and that curbed it a lot, too. 

I really hope you’ll seek help for it because there are ways to curb the urges. Please stay safe 

xo 

• branlew likes this

Ht. 5'3"
CW 80lbs

LW 75lbs
GW ??

#3 Chihiro123

Chihiro123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:29 PM

Thank you, Shannie. I am seeking help. I do keep my nails cut to the quick and buffed smooth on the edges. I take medication also. Thank you for the encouragement, it is so validating to connect and have a place to get new ideas I have not heard of or thought of. I am switching psych. Dr asap with the intention of seeking evaluation if needed. I'm diagnosed ADHD & anxiety both severe. I'm going to seek help to figure out if some of my atypical behaviors (I try to hide them until I'm away from people outside my family) could be related to possible Autism spectrum. Thanks again!
  • Chkinut and branlew like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Self harm, EDNOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users