Is kimchi really as good for you as they say - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Is kimchi really as good for you as they say

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Papa

Papa

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:11 AM

You look up kimchi and u get pages of blogs raving about how healthy and nutritious it is, but is it really??

I mean, it has so much salt in it and usually some sugar as well. If you get the canned kimchi from the grocery store, are u really reaping all the benefifs?

#2 HaoHao

HaoHao

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Locationavoiding the bread monster

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:26 AM

The fermented nature of kimchi is good for your gut and digestive health. I probably wouldn't go for canned varieties though. And kimchi portions are supposed to be quite small so balancing the salt intake should be easy enough in a meal. 

• Feathered, WallyWoofer and CoconutLaCroix like this

Untitled.png

EDC: HaoHao

#3 Banana__Milk

Banana__Milk

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:02 PM

It's currently a fad health-food in the west. There's no conclusive evidence that kimchi specifically is a health food. There have been studies done here in Korea that "link" excess salt consumption of the Korean diet to their high rates of stomach cancer. But they seemed to ignore the raging alcoholism, chain-smoking, and overworked stress that tons of Koreans are subject to.

That said, well-made kimchi has only small amounts of sugar to aid the fermentation process, is consumed in small quantities with other foods, fermented foods are (generally) good for your gut microbiome, and I'd avoid the canned stuff like the plague because it's the lowest-quality and doesn't taste very good. If you want the good stuff, try to get some that's made by your local Korean grocer (if you have one) or make your own.

• Feathered, Haci and rotten_apple like this

#4 Featherweight-Fragility

Featherweight-Fragility

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 April 2021 - 12:23 AM

I get local stuff in a very aesthetic glass jar lol and it has barely any sugar to help it ferment. You only need a small portion and apparently fermented foods help with depression so I figured why not add that one to the list if I like eating it anyway?

I like throwing some veggies like bok choy and peppers in a wok with a little miso paste and having a small amount of rice with kimchi on the side. I think it goes well with fresh veggies so it just makes me want to eat more veggies. 

Bmi: 18.4 ~ Height: 5'6 ~ Current Weight: 117.4 114 114

BodyFAT: 20.5%                  

Gw 1:114 ~ Gw 2:110 Gw 3: 105 ~ Gw 4: 100 ~ Ugw: 95

When in doubt drink tea!

#5 Haci

Haci

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1353 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 April 2021 - 04:30 AM

As others said, it's the fermentation. Probiotics are great for you, but you can get them from a variety of foods. I just take a supplement every day
tumblr_lzv4asKqlv1qbs47q.gif

Stats
5'8"
Vegan
SW: 140
GW1: 130
GW2: 120
GW3: 115

#6 lilb00

lilb00

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:41 AM

I would say yes buuuut if you eat too much of it be prepared for the gut symphony. It’s great for digestive health but you will poo and poot your ass off if you go too hard
  • Skarf and HailSeitan like this

#7 ANAtomist

ANAtomist

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2933 posts
  • LocationIn a mortuary next to an autopsy table OR climbing beyond octaves written by Rachmaninov and Paganini OR cracking the Da Vinci code

Posted 30 April 2021 - 01:08 PM

Yes

p.s. I am part Korean 

• HailSeitan likes this

[Updated: June, 2021] 168cm | 37kg | BMI = 13.1

PLEASE!! THIS IS MY PERSONAL PLEA: DON’T SAY THINGS LIKE “if your BMI is true you need to be hospitalised” or “if your signature is still accurate...” because A. yes? It’s still accurate? It says updated on JUNE 2021, which is like...literally what today is B. why would you think it’s not true? Why do I need to lie on an anonymous site? It’s exactly because I can’t talk about my ED IRL so I have to go online... I’m already struggling & hurting so much, just like how you are too. Imagine you having no support whatsoever, go online to find an outlet, only being questioned for your credibility about your stats and posts, how would you feel? C. yes it might seem low but my highest ever BMI was around 17, I’m premature and have multiple medical conditions that made me weight less/can’t eat much even prior my ED. So yea, 13 is not that bad compare to someone who got here from a much higher HW.

EDC: ANAtomist Da Vinci | Pancakes: ANAtomist van Beethoven

~ AN - r ~

#8 HailSeitan

HailSeitan

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:30 PM

Idk but it certainly isn't *bad* for you. It makes me...make. So that's nice.

#9 seaofghosts

seaofghosts

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 01:11 AM

There has been a lot of research lately linking gut health with basically every other system in your body (mood health, immune system, etc). If you have a good gut full of the right bacteria, it will improve your health in other systems.

Short answer... Yes. I like kimchi a lot more than yogurt and such. It's a low cal bomb of flavor for soups and rice bowls.
  • rotten_apple likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users