Long term low carb lipids - Low Carb Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Long term low carb lipids

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Myspys

Myspys

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:56 AM

Hello, anyone here had their lipids checked after long term low carb? Given most low carbers eat saturated fat and dietary cholesterol in bigger amounts usually which then effects negatively health

Mostly curious about ApoB but LDL-C, triglycerides and HDL-C are interesting as well

So if anyone could share theirs that would be brilliant :)

• Undiscovered Soul likes this

#2 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3348 posts
  • LocationThe downstairs laboratory in the castle you shouldn't go near.

Posted 29 April 2021 - 12:26 PM

I don't think there will be any people here who get that checked.

I recommend posting the same question in r/keto (on reddit). Huge community, bound to be some people who get their stuff checked.

Temporary lapse.

#3 zeppelin.cries

zeppelin.cries

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1969 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:15 PM

Lipids are a funny one because all sorts of things cause them to go up and down.

Stress and inflammation make it harder for your body to work effectively. Atherosclerosis is a type of inflammation, which is the hardening of the arteries, done via buildups of cholesterol in your heart. Chronic stress — and thereby inflammation — have a direct effect on cholesterol levels irrelevant of diet. Childhood adversity is the worst kind of chronic stress than leads to inflammatory conditions such as high cholesterol. So if you were neglected, abused, or if your parents had serious problems, you will need to monitor your cholesterol closely for life.

Being on psychiatric medications or having psychiatric conditions is another direct effect or high cholesterol.

Drinking too much alcohol, even red wine, increases cholesterol as cholesterol is broken down in the liver. If you bombard your liver with alcohol, you don’t give it enough time to do it’s thing, and it results in alcoholic fatty liver disease and high lipid levels.

Triglycerides are a particular type of fat in your blood which is a marker of much stored fat you have in your body, i.e., what energy your body doesn’t break down right away gets stored as triglycerides. And in your fat tissues, you also make inflammatory cells. So having excess adipose tissue has a direct effect on total-body inflammation and thereby cholesterol.

So what to do about lipids? Luckily there are many interventions that work to reverse lipid levels. These are things like losing weight if you’re overweight, not drinking too much alcohol, exercising regularly, and managing stress levels.

All this to say, that generally, eating a keto diet is far less inflammatory than the standard western diet. This is becuase it generally focuses on whole foods, completely reduces your alcohol intake, and you are likely eating many more veggies than you would be normally. And a lot of clients I work with who do do keto see reductions in lipids despite eating high fat diets and lose weight.

But yes, obviously be mindful of how much saturated fat you eat on a keto diet, too.
  • urfavdrug likes this

giphy.gif

#4 Undiscovered Soul

Undiscovered Soul

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:27 AM

Actually I’m getting mine checked next month!
There were some findings in my latest blood work, e.g high cholesterol and elevated liver enzymes (bilirubin) so I got referred to endocrinology and lipids clinic (something like that).
Btw I’m 31 and I’ve had ED for years, started keto only a few months ago. So I’m not sure if low carb has anything to do with it, or is it just general damage caused by long term ED, but I will share my results next month ☺️
  • urfavdrug likes this

#5 FlaminGalah

FlaminGalah

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 10:44 PM

Weight loss generally lowers cholesterol but even in calorie restriction many have low carbers still have shockingly high LDL.

Weight maintenance keto is even worse if they're eating a lot of saturated fat.

LDL strongly tracks Apo-b. A high LDL is going to have a high Apo-b in 99% or more of cases. The discordance is in those with average range LDL but high apoB due to insulin resistance and T2 diabetes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users