The Future of MPA - Page 13 - General Announcements - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

The Future of MPA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2178 replies to this topic

#241 Crispy Crumbly Frustration

Crispy Crumbly Frustration

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14810 posts
  • LocationThey/them

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:11 PM

It is interesting that someone private messaged me the following, I will not post their account ID for their protection:

Sent Today, 05:30 PM

This has been in the works for weeks now, and was supposed to be announced several days ago. I've seen screen shots of the conversations between him and the mods.

And yeah, it's a sell-out. The site takes in approximately $40,000 a year in ad revenue, and the guy who's Admin (I've had his phone number for years, and have actually seen him on Youtube, at a trade show once) just wants to cash out.

He's peddled MPA to this VS company, who owns scores of other web forums, and milks them for their ad revenue. Forms for people who own BMWs and other sorts of hobby sites. He's convinced them that they need to get into the "Wellness" game, and so he's buffing up the site to fit that model. So it's really just all about money. Like most things these days.

So yeah, no more "pro" content, no members under 18, purging the site of all sorts of existing content, and despite what you may have read, don't count on all the mods sticking around to help him or VS with any of this. Some may, but some have been fed up with his bullshit for years now and will be leaving. And the follks from VS will be calling the shots now. People with no prior intrest in EDs at all.

And as you said, a "Wellness" site for people with EDs, that's named My Pro Ana ?

You just gotta laugh about that.

"Our ability to relax is in direct proportion to our ability to trust ourselves and life."

--------------------------------

Not sure if any of what was written is true or not, it is just what I received in my MPA mailbox.

Maybe off topic but I hate the word "wellness" and every single grifter, shill and hippie crystal healer associated with it

• skelliebelle, varioustoothpastes, sugarless💖💕 and 15 others like this

You're a culture of one. Which is no less valid than a culture of one billion.

#242 Perdoname Padre Lizzy

Perdoname Padre Lizzy

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2180 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:11 PM

wowwww i just made a post about how this place is my comfort site and you decide to sell it out and change everything lmao i’m gonna cry

i am 100% unconvinced that the buyers are just donating all profits to charity. it’s literally a company that makes money off boosting websites on google. that does not mix well at all with the whole point of MPA, being a small little hidden corner of the internet where mentally ill people go to vent about things they never want to be seen publicly.

i’m also unconvinced that the changes will be good and won’t touch places like thinspo and accountability. because really admin has no power over what the company decides to do once he sells it to them, and i doubt they will want their name attached to a thinspo subforum or self harm threads and will probably delete shit en masse without care. these are all empty promises.

this isn’t for ED sufferers’ best interest, this is for profit.

and let me enlighten you about the mind of a mentally ill person. the dark, twisted, non-advertiser-friendly thoughts are always there. this place is one of the only places that allows an actual outlet to prevent the thoughts from festering under the skin and spiraling into something like self mutilation or drug abuse. what normies who preach for “non-enabling, non-destructive positivity” can’t quite grasp is if the outlet is taken away, the thoughts will still remain. they will simply fester and spiral. that is why this forceful pro-recovery toxic positivity bullshit is harmful to many of us.

love u and appreciate u mods so much, i’m probably fucking off to pancake tho
  • skelliebelle, iaine, PrettyAbs and 19 others like this

*+:.lizzy.:+*
ht 51 // hw 124 // lw 102 // gw1 109 // gw2 102 // gw3 97 // ugw 93

cw 124 like a fucking idiot 123 122 121
i want blood, guts, and ~angel~ cake
im gonna puke it anyway
*+:.little lavender fawn.:+*

giphy.gif

checklist:
// called “pretty” ♡ // called “tiny” ♡ // called “petite” ♡ // called “frail” or “dainty” or “fragile” ♡ // called an ariana grande lookalike ♡ // called an irl anime girl ♡ // called ‘doll like’ ♡ // coworkers ask about my health ♡ // parents notice ♡ // friends/boyfriend notice ♡ // someone worries ♡ //

#243 Ecstasy

Ecstasy

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:12 PM

I honestly thought this would be about the site shutting down.
I don't feel one way or the other. I'm curious what changes will come, for better or worse. I'm too curious to leave.

• PinkishKitten likes this

#244 Foxii_Fighter

Foxii_Fighter

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2382 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:12 PM

Your concerns ignore basic international privacy laws and assume that their people are exclusively cishet males looking for a thrill. Presently VS yields to the strictest user siding privacy laws, those being a toss up between California and the European Union. The idea that they sell user privacy out like that not only gets the site nuked but also fines them millions of dollars for such a violation. As for the premise that their employees are a bunch of sexual predators. I honestly don't know how to relieve you of that notion. None of the vs techs I've spoken to have discussed their sexuality or gender identities with me. But in accordance with those privacy laws anyone who has personally identifiable photos can message me or the vs admin account which will be introduced tomorrow and those photos will be removed with no concerns if that is your wish. Same can be expected with regards to any post with legally protected personal information.

Last time I checked, predatory behaviors know no gender or orientation limits......

Also, I can't seem to find VS's history of donating to ED related charities -- normally donating to proper 501c3 organizations is a matter of public record. Care to share that data for us? 

• faeway, varioustoothpastes, 𝓎𝔠𝔩𝔢𝔭𝔱 and 9 others like this

Foxii_Fighter

HW: 226.3

LW: 108.7

RGW: 150.0

CW: 170.8

(Updated 4/22/2021)

177 - 176 - 175 - 174 - 173 - 172 - 171 - 170 - 169 - 168

167 - 166 - 165 - 164 - 163 - 162 - 161 - 160 - 159 - 158

157 - 156 - 155 - 154 - 153 - 152 - 151 - 150

Is it possible for a recovered anorexic to lose weight the healthy, right way?

Accountability / Journey

#245 pheythe

pheythe

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationIn your closet (-:

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:13 PM

I can't even lie, I am having the hardest time following this thread. There is so much happening

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
  • lemmy the failed formalist and caper_25 like this

#246 Jcoh

Jcoh

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:14 PM

wowwww i just made a post about how this place is my comfort site and you decide to sell it out and change everything lmao i’m gonna cry
i am 100% unconvinced that the buyers are just donating all profits to charity. it’s literally a company that makes money off boosting websites on google. that does not mix well at all with the whole point of MPA, being a small little hidden corner of the internet where mentally ill people go to vent about things they never want to be seen publicly.
i’m also unconvinced that the changes will be good and won’t touch places like thinspo and accountability. because really admin has no power over what the company decides to do once he sells it to them, and i doubt they will want their name attached to a thinspo subforum or self harm threads and will probably delete shit en masse without care. these are all empty promises.
this isn’t for ED sufferers’ best interest, this is for profit.
and let me enlighten you about the mind of a mentally ill person. the dark, twisted, non-advertiser-friendly thoughts are always there. this place is one of the only places that allows an actual outlet to prevent the thoughts from festering under the skin and spiraling into something like self mutilation or drug abuse. what normies who preach for “non-enabling, non-destructive positivity” can’t quite grasp is if the outlet is taken away, the thoughts will still remain. they will simply fester and spiral. that is why this forceful pro-recovery toxic positivity bullshit is harmful to many of us.
love u and appreciate u mods so much, i’m probably fucking off to pancake tho

I wish I could offer you some peace of mind. I hope you find some solace in wherever you land. You’re totally right that this is fucked up and for profit and not in our best interests.

I wish you the best <3

#247 Nyri

Nyri

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5186 posts
  • Location⋆ ⁺₊ ⋆ ☾ ⋆ ⁺₊ ⋆

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:15 PM

what a big mess.

• jpi332, Crispy Crumbly Frustration, fxckyou and 1 other like this

#248 plantbb

plantbb

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

nah its true. i was a previous mod there. my username was meela.

i left for a plethora of reasons. 

ahh yeah i was being 100% serious. i know exactly how awful they are, i'm sorry ♡ your username does ring a bell actually! 

• widepeepohappy and fxckyou like this

#249 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1035 posts

Last time I checked, predatory behaviors know no gender or orientation limits......

Also, I can't seem to find VS's history of donating to ED related charities -- normally donating to proper 501c3 organizations is a matter of public record. Care to share that data for us?

My understanding is said records are based on the fiscal quarter and not in real time. I'll ask

PSA: If you have an issue with any warning received from a moderator, messaging the Admin to fight or argue against the warning is not an ideal way to resolve any issue. The moderator team is not new here and have been delegated the responsibility of warnings and moderation of MPA. If you wish to discuss your warning, please message the moderator who sent you the warning or the entire moderating team to open a dialog. 

-Admin

#250 Tempurrance

Tempurrance

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Locationlarge barrel

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:16 PM

If the site is being passed hands and everything is changing, we should have some option for mass deleting/editing our posts or like...nuking our personal content from the site IMO

I agree.

• Yell_Heah, goodenough, Katurian and 1 other like this

wn8ZEZQ.gif

"WHAT DOESN'T KILL YA MAKES YOU THINNA" —Galia Grainger

INTP 5w4

#251 Papa

Papa

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:16 PM

Damn we will be feeling very lonely once they start censoring us
  • emperished, circling.the.drain, widepeepohappy and 4 others like this

#252 Foxii_Fighter

Foxii_Fighter

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2382 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:19 PM

VERTICAL SCOPE DATA BREACHES:

https://www.trendmic...calscope-breach

https://krebsonsecur...t data breaches

Here's a link to a LOVELY Vertical Scope managed forum....looks spot on https://www.avsforum.com/

Also - did you forget to mention we'd have to agree to a new set of terms and conditions? Because I guess we are going to have to do that too under their current TOS policy. 

Edited to add: I could build that other forum in my fucking sleep. 

• AndThen, PrettyAbs, varioustoothpastes and 21 others like this

Foxii_Fighter

(Updated 4/22/2021)

Accountability / Journey

#253 Nullivorous

Nullivorous

hot single calorie whore near you

• Accountability access
  • 4363 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:20 PM

It is interesting that someone private messaged me the following, I will not post their account ID for their protection:

Not sure if any of what was written is true or not, it is just what I received in my MPA mailbox.

You accidentally also quoted their signature. I suggest you edit it up for their privacy :)

• caper_25 and deleted89909 like this

Just let me relapse without judgement

Legit Nutritionist Degree

Inbox always open for questions or memes

The only hurdle to becoming who I want to be is me

My MPA Status Thread

MY ULTIMATE WEIGHT PREDICTION CALCULATOR!! FREE TO USE:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hEqFBBhu6Tz6HVK6fiJ_mY_rpRVXDg3eQzacH6qY-NE/edit

Coronavirus Survival Thread:

https://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/3967739-enduring-quarantine-hangouts-tips-and-tricks-galore/

Iconic MPA Threads:

Spoiler

#254 DistressedOrange

DistressedOrange

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4308 posts
  • LocationLaundering My Exit Bag

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:20 PM

POPULAR

It's fucked up and devastating how much worse off so many peoples lives are going to be because of this decision. It may seem melodramatic but actually it isn't. We all know that eating disorders have the highest mortality of any mental illness. You call it enabling, but let me fucking tell you, each and every member on here LOOKS AFTER EACH OTHER. The mortality is down to health issues, and there's such an encouragement of harm reduction. The community and ability to express ourselves combats the isolation sufferers face which leads to suicides.

We have been a self sustaining community with the help of our wonderful mods for years now. They do so much hard work, but we also moderate the forum ourselves. We aren't afraid to call out bad behaviour. We defend each other without a second thought. We're always wiling to reach out to each other and help even when we're rubbing together 2 functional brain cells between all of us.

You want to sanitise this, make it "safer", but we don't need to be coddled. We look after each other in a way you haven't been engaged in for years and years to create a supportive community which is self sustaining and self managing, which has a life of its own. Where we have the freedom to be ourselves. Taking away the freedom, taking away our control, even if it was somehow going to some benevolent totally altruistic tech gurus, is a huge misstep on your part. It will have consequences and I hope you're prepared to deal with them, on your own conscience.
  • skelliebelle, faeway, Sholla and 56 others like this

Yet another accountability...

https://www.myproana...

5'2" 

Current weight: Body mass + Existential Dread 

tumblr 59c39c426d0f7cbd327bd5b0e9dee207 4d849bab 500
85836f38d63a2e26ab9133c57368e068
giphy (1)

Self centered hoe 

#255 fxckyou

fxckyou

Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:22 PM

Are the mods going to be allowed to stay?

#256 Papa

Papa

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Please dont change the design its so nostalgic. I’ve been on MPA since 2013 and it will be so heartbreaking if the look of the site changes completely (new colors etc)
  • Cocoa and Cocaine, LURK MOAR, atomickitty and 14 others like this

#257 Fragglerock

Fragglerock

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAustralia

I only joined MPA a little over a month ago and this makes me sad tbh because I really like this site the way it is...

#258 skelliebelle

skelliebelle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4392 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:23 PM

I keep refreshing the feed and there are multiple posts each, 68 people are here just chilling. I literally got a call for a job interview and all I could think about was how I was missing the action. So many different conversations and so many confused people, it's all a mess

omg same, i'm supposed to be at work but i just looked up and realized i spent like an hour on this. good thing i'm working from home lol
hope the in person interview goes well!
  • something_of_an_aimless and widepeepohappy like this

#259 lemmy the failed formalist

lemmy the failed formalist

OG wildly inappropriate whore

• Accountability access
  • 4660 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:24 PM

VERTICAL SCOPE DATA BREACHES:

https://www.trendmic...calscope-breach

https://krebsonsecur...t data breaches

Here's a link to a LOVELY Vertical Scope managed forum....looks spot on https://www.avsforum.com/

Also - did you forget to mention we'd have to agree to a new set of terms and conditions? Because I guess we are going to have to do that too under their current TOS policy. 

Edited to add: I could build that other forum in my fucking sleep. 

dear lord

• jpi332, Unicorn SS, rivversflowing and 2 others like this

#260 Foxii_Fighter

Foxii_Fighter

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2382 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:24 PM

Oh I am SO glad we are now in the same hands as the managers of veggieboards.com and mothering.com. Lovely. 

https://www.vertical...rticals/health/

"Yeah, lets put an EATING DISORDER FORUM in our wellness group" ---- said no one ever. 

• TinyLostSoul, PrettyAbs, MorbidFixation and 14 others like this

Foxii_Fighter

(Updated 4/22/2021)

Accountability / Journey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users