Any ideas how to fight compulsion to binge? - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Any ideas how to fight compulsion to binge?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 loletaxeni

loletaxeni

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5513 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:42 AM

I'm running out of ideas and I'm struggling. I know I should keep busy, put my focus on other things and keep myself distracted but this compulsion to binge is like 150 dB disco around me that I'm just trying not to hear. It's literally impossible. Unless I destroy my eardrums and become deaf, which would be easier than.. I don't know, having a lobotomy? The desire to eat is so strong my whole body aches.

I really really really don't want to b/p. Any ideas?

#2 Foxii_Fighter

Foxii_Fighter

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2043 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:47 AM

Do some extensive research on The Dopamine Affect and Learned-Reward Behavior.  Part of how I overcame the BP urge was understanding the science behind why it happens -- knowing that you're not just fucked up, and there's a physiological reason behind these urges helps tremendously. 

Google "Urge Surfing" too - there's lots of articles on this method, used by alcoholics and drug addicts to break through urges. 

• dégueulasse - also on EDC, loletaxeni and immyu like this

Foxii_Fighter

HW: 226.3

LW: 108.7

RGW: 150.0

CW: 170.8

(Updated 4/22/2021)

177 - 176 - 175 - 174 - 173 - 172 - 171 - 170 - 169 - 168

167 - 166 - 165 - 164 - 163 - 162 - 161 - 160 - 159 - 158

157 - 156 - 155 - 154 - 153 - 152 - 151 - 150

Is it possible for a recovered anorexic to lose weight the healthy, right way?

Accountability / Journey

#3 loletaxeni

loletaxeni

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5513 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:07 AM

Do some extensive research on The Dopamine Affect and Learned-Reward Behavior.  Part of how I overcame the BP urge was understanding the science behind why it happens -- knowing that you're not just fucked up, and there's a physiological reason behind these urges helps tremendously. 

Google "Urge Surfing" too - there's lots of articles on this method, used by alcoholics and drug addicts to break through urges. 

Thank you so much, will definitely look into all that!

#4 foggyfool

foggyfool

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Locationin my room, crying

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:17 AM

It gets easier with time! My number one tip is just get out of the house. I've spend hours in the nearby library just hanging and tons of time walking around in order to avoid eating. It's really hard to binge when you have no food in sight, hehe 

• loletaxeni likes this

#5 perfectly_insane

perfectly_insane

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:25 AM

Honestly, PROZAC( fluoxetine)!!!
  • dégueulasse - also on EDC and loletaxeni like this

#6 loletaxeni

loletaxeni

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5513 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 11:57 AM

Honestly, PROZAC( fluoxetine)!!!

I'm probably calling to a doctor tomorrow and hoping for a prescription. It scares me so much though, I usually react very badly with medication and I've seen a lot of mixed experiences.. but for some it's really the saving grace and I'm just so desperate to try anything at this point. Recommendation definitely gives me hope that it could work for me too.

#7 Firefly11

Firefly11

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:00 PM

I drink coffee and chew and spit lol

#8 Rubyxo

Rubyxo

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:26 PM

Please don't consider the above advice and chew and spit, it has ruined my life more than bulimia and that's saying something.

Just hitting this point you are at is so important as I know it's hard to even want to stop. As another person also said it does get easier in time. You can do this and life will be better without being constantly pulled towards binging and purging. It's so damn powerful but the more you give in the more it will draw you in. Take one day at a time and anything you can figure out that has ever worked in helping.

For me It is just accepting that I cannot fast all day like I'd like to and the more I starve the more likely I am to lose control. That my thinking is very disordered and irrational and what I consider overeating and a "trigger" are not always even close to that. For example sometimes a random unplanned bite of an apple can have me spiralling and considering binging just so I can purge the 1/4 of apple. It's nonsense.

Good luck you can do this.
  • loletaxeni and immyu like this

#9 loletaxeni

loletaxeni

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5513 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:51 AM

I'm currently doing an egg fast in order to fight my b/p urges, as well as trying that "ride the wave" technique and so far it's working. I hope that I can keep this up for some days and that cravings would start quieting down soon. Usually I have less cravings when I'm in ketosis, so I reallly hope this works.

Still didn't call that doctor. I'm just so afraid of doctors, medications, all of that ruining my life that I'm just avoiding it to the bitter end. But it's on my mind, all the time. If I can't stop, I have to give up and make that call, admit everything and ask for prescription.

#10 loletaxeni

loletaxeni

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5513 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:57 AM

Please don't consider the above advice and chew and spit, it has ruined my life more than bulimia and that's saying something.

Just hitting this point you are at is so important as I know it's hard to even want to stop. As another person also said it does get easier in time. You can do this and life will be better without being constantly pulled towards binging and purging. It's so damn powerful but the more you give in the more it will draw you in. Take one day at a time and anything you can figure out that has ever worked in helping.

For me It is just accepting that I cannot fast all day like I'd like to and the more I starve the more likely I am to lose control. That my thinking is very disordered and irrational and what I consider overeating and a "trigger" are not always even close to that. For example sometimes a random unplanned bite of an apple can have me spiralling and considering binging just so I can purge the 1/4 of apple. It's nonsense.

Good luck you can do this.

I recovered from bulimia, well, mostly, years ago. And I know bulimia is absolutely not worth it, bulimia is really the deepest levels of hell and I don't want to have anything to do with it... and then I realize I'm right back in there and having hard time stopping. It's so crazy, like how did this even happen? I swore so many times I would never start purging again and whoops, been doing it for months now. Bulimia is really the worst ever. Thank you for your words, really, they give me hope. I won't give up this fight, I just refuse living with bulimia. I won't do it. Thank you really, your words gave me a lot to think about. Also, so true about that apple thing. I noticed that pattern just some days ago.

#11 lurkerkramer

lurkerkramer

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:22 AM

I’ll tell you what I do when my urges are extremely high, and other methods are just useless cause I can’t focus on anything else.

I think like mindful/distraction/etc activities are good, but when I’m out of control they are not realistic. So I always got depressed when I failed at other people’s suggestions.

What has worked at these times is telling myself I’ll just wait 10 more mins then do it. Then postpone again after 10 minutes... 5 more if I can manage... just 1 minute even. Little by little.

This is like riding the wave I guess, because surprisingly I find the urges DO fade. But the difference is I’m still letting myself still think I’ll b/p because if I keep focusing on how to fight and change my mind I’ll fail anyway.

This doesn’t always work, often I do binge still after postponing, but it really gives me the greatest chance of stopping an otherwise impossible urge.

Other stuff when I’m desperate:

- Literally go to bed. Even in the middle of day if it’s possible. Luckily I’m always exhausted 24/7 anyway (ha) so being lazy and just sleeping is the lesser of evils for me. My brain HAS to switch off.

- Just exit the environment you are in (e.g bedroom/kitchen) and just start walking without planning on where. Don’t even think yet or try to internally convince yourself to fight the urge. Literally just exit the space.

The key thing is basically NOT fighting with the urge and trying to convince yourself to stop. Because I know when I’ve got no ability to fight more rational coping-strategies will do nothing.

BUT if I get through this 10/10 urge phrase successfully THEN it’s possible for me to try distracting or whatever because at least I’m out of that crisis point.
  • futiledevices, loletaxeni and StarvingLlama*-* like this

#12 loletaxeni

loletaxeni

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5513 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:37 AM

I’ll tell you what I do when my urges are extremely high, and other methods are just useless cause I can’t focus on anything else.

I think like mindful/distraction/etc activities are good, but when I’m out of control they are not realistic. So I always got depressed when I failed at other people’s suggestions.

What has worked at these times is telling myself I’ll just wait 10 more mins then do it. Then postpone again after 10 minutes... 5 more if I can manage... just 1 minute even. Little by little.

This is like riding the wave I guess, because surprisingly I find the urges DO fade. But the difference is I’m still letting myself still think I’ll b/p because if I keep focusing on how to fight and change my mind I’ll fail anyway.

This doesn’t always work, often I do binge still after postponing, but it really gives me the greatest chance of stopping an otherwise impossible urge.

Other stuff when I’m desperate:

- Literally go to bed. Even in the middle of day if it’s possible. Luckily I’m always exhausted 24/7 anyway (ha) so being lazy and just sleeping is the lesser of evils for me. My brain HAS to switch off.

- Just exit the environment you are in (e.g bedroom/kitchen) and just start walking without planning on where. Don’t even think yet or try to internally convince yourself to fight the urge. Literally just exit the space.

The key thing is basically NOT fighting with the urge and trying to convince yourself to stop. Because I know when I’ve got no ability to fight more rational coping-strategies will do nothing.

BUT if I get through this 10/10 urge phrase successfully THEN it’s possible for me to try distracting or whatever because at least I’m out of that crisis point.

Thank you, so many good ideas! Some I use already, I sometimes also just go to bed and force myself to sleep just to avoid it.

Sometimes it's really hard though, when the urge doesn't seem to pass but it just keeps getting stronger instead. Many times I've gone through days and days of that same constant urge and while it's there, I can't literally do anything at all. I can only sleep if I take sleeping pills because the urge just keeps hammering me. Maybe I've had the wrong mindset, the type of "trying to resist it" instead of just observing it without caring, I don't know.. it's not easy. I have to start practicing asap!  

I also read Judith Beck's diet book which focuses on cognitive behaviour therapy type of responses, all these logical phrases that honestly reminded me more of pro-ana stuff than most pro-ana stuff. These "response ideas" included stuff like "if I give up, I will only give up more easily the next time." or "I might not care right now but I will care tomorrow." I can say those didn't work at all, no matter how true they are. :lol:

It's not easy, it really is not. Some diet folks even say it's not about willpower at all. If our brain wants something, it will force us to do its bidding. On some other diet book they explained how mice whose brains were injured particular way, ate until they died. They would not stop eating, ever. They would just eat, eat, eat and die. I feel I'm a mouse like that.

I'm rambling. :lol:

#13 lurkerkramer

lurkerkramer

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:53 AM

Thank you, so many good ideas! Some I use already, I sometimes also just go to bed and force myself to sleep just to avoid it.

Sometimes it's really hard though, when the urge doesn't seem to pass but it just keeps getting stronger instead. Many times I've gone through days and days of that same constant urge and while it's there, I can't literally do anything at all. I can only sleep if I take sleeping pills because the urge just keeps hammering me. Maybe I've had the wrong mindset, the type of "trying to resist it" instead of just observing it without caring, I don't know.. it's not easy. I have to start practicing asap!

I also read Judith Beck's diet book which focuses on cognitive behaviour therapy type of responses, all these logical phrases that honestly reminded me more of pro-ana stuff than most pro-ana stuff. These "response ideas" included stuff like "if I give up, I will only give up more easily the next time." or "I might not care right now but I will care tomorrow." I can say those didn't work at all, no matter how true they are. :lol:

It's not easy, it really is not. Some diet folks even say it's not about willpower at all. If our brain wants something, it will force us to do its bidding. On some other diet book they explained how mice whose brains were injured particular way, ate until they died. They would not stop eating, ever. They would just eat, eat, eat and die. I feel I'm a mouse like that.

I'm rambling. :lol:

All good pal I know how hard it is only too well. Still trying to figure it out myself.

I try using a lot of the mindset techniques I used when I quit smoking years ago cause I never relapsed (yay!) but obviously it’s not the same because you can’t cold-turkey quit food.

One thing though I just remembered that was similar that helped was viewing quitting from a positive of what I GAIN instead of from the perspective of “giving up something”.

Like I’m not giving up or quitting b/p, and I don’t tell myself I HAVE TO STOP.

Instead I think of how I GET to quit, I’m gaining freedom, I don’t have to b/p I’m so relieved!!!

Like fake it til you make it stuff, but just using language that sees b/p as this thing I’m getting freedom from and all the positives I gain instead of thinking about fighting to “give up” something to avoid negatives etc.

I’m not sure if that makes sense sorry lol.

Good luck though <3
  • loletaxeni likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users