What do you think about beetroot? (Freaking out about oxalates) - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

What do you think about beetroot? (Freaking out about oxalates)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ifoundDory

ifoundDory

wildly inappropriate bore

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2108 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 11:09 AM

I've lately entered a weird phase where a big percentage of my diet has to come from raw fruits and veggies. I've been making a lot of smoothies (which makes it easier to also consume protein) and that way I'm consuming two pieces (200-300 grams) of raw beetroot per day on average.

But I know that beets are high in oxalate and I am really scared of getting kidney stones (I never had them, nor did anyone in my family but I have this probably irrational fear of kidney stones lol)

Do you think this is a legit concern? Would cooking the beets beforehand make it have less oxalate?

Also if you have any recommendations about what veggies are good in smoothies apart from leafy greens and carrots I would love to hear them. My scope of safe foods is quite limited rn and if I "have to" ditch beetroot from the list I will need some new ideas.

#2 Fariel

Fariel

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:29 PM

If you're really worried, you can have your oxalate levels tested - or slow down with the beets (maybe limit to half of your current intake?) and try some other veggies in your smoothies.  I've added red and yellow capsicum to smoothies and they blend well with other veggies / fruits.  Also, cucumber (skin on) is nice in green smoothies.  

#3 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationGotham

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:55 PM

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. We are huge fans of beets! In the wintertime I make a beetroot vegetable stew that is so delicious and warming! And recently I tried making kvass, which is essentially fermented beets in water (I fermented mine two weeks, and it turned out so yummy!). Beets are so good for your heart!

tumblr_m7l8xkk92d1qadi39o3_500.gif

Height: 5'4"

CW: ??? (currently pregnant)

LW: 111 lbs (that was ages ago)
GW 1: 130 lbs

GW 2: 125 lbs

GW 3: 120 lbs
UGW: 95 lbs (haha who am I kidding, will I really want to stop here?)

#4 ifoundDory

ifoundDory

• Accountability access
  • 2108 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:42 AM

If you're really worried, you can have your oxalate levels tested - or slow down with the beets (maybe limit to half of your current intake?) and try some other veggies in your smoothies. I've added red and yellow capsicum to smoothies and they blend well with other veggies / fruits. Also, cucumber (skin on) is nice in green smoothies.

Thanks so much for the idea! I've never considered putting capsicum in smoothies but I'll definitely try it. I've also decided to replace some of my beet consumption with carrots.

#5 ifoundDory

ifoundDory

• Accountability access
  • 2108 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:46 AM

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. We are huge fans of beets! In the wintertime I make a beetroot vegetable stew that is so delicious and warming! And recently I tried making kvass, which is essentially fermented beets in water (I fermented mine two weeks, and it turned out so yummy!). Beets are so good for your heart!

This sounds amazing! Beets are definitely very nutritious. I just tend to get health anxiety, there are a few random conditions that really scare me for some reason but it's probably not rational. Also I might try cooking the beets instead, if I'm not mistaken cooking inactivates oxalates to some extent.

#6 HaoHao

HaoHao

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Locationavoiding the bread monster

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:17 AM

Oxalates can be destroyed by cooking, that's why you shouldn't eat raw spinach without wilting it first.

Just cook the high oxalate foods and combine with calcium sources like green leafy veg to be sure.

Untitled.png

EDC: HaoHao

#7 Just Cat

Just Cat

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2256 posts
  • LocationThe PB Jar

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:48 PM

Oxalates will be reduced by cooking, and go into the cooking water I believe.

Aside from spinach, my go-to vegetables for smoothies are raw zucchini or cauliflower

5'5/166cm

HW- 149

LW- 110

CW- We don't talk about that...

♡♡♡

source.gif

I made a recipe thread (let's see how long I actually update it for): https://www.myproana.../#entry67473611

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users