i still get my period at bmi 15.5 ? - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

i still get my period at bmi 15.5 ?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 bonesandamethysts

bonesandamethysts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:50 PM

Yeah as multiple people already mentioned the period thing is weird. Idk you never now if/when/why you get your period, that’s what I learned from years at different weights haha
(Not) getting your period is def not the only indicator of good health though that’s for sure
Loss of periods was removed from the DSM-V as a diagnostic criteria for AN as far as I know ... ofc we ein Europe still have that AND the weight criteria in the ICD-10

HBMI was in the "Obese Class III" category

LBMI was in the "Severely Underweight" category

Former (?) or not maybe going back or maybe just giving up on myself and my goals law student.

It brings me no joy to confess that I dropped out two years ago because of AN (still in denial about that one tho) and all the other horrors and mental terrors it triggered.

Always had "issues".

Currently in self-hatred mode.

English is not my 1st language so please excuse any mistakes I make! I try my best.

#22 susanrose

susanrose

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2375 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:59 PM

I stared mine for the first time in my early 20's with a BMI in the low 14's. I still get one every now and then. It is not a measure of how sick you are and as many have stated, there is a reason it is no longer criteria. You have to consider that many of the older criteria were determined by men who never had that experience and were basing it on data also recorded by men (no hate, just wanting to acknowledge that they had limited knowledge and had to base their information on limited scientific data available at the time). We now know better.

#23 electriceel

electriceel

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 08 May 2021 - 10:50 PM

I stared mine for the first time in my early 20's with a BMI in the low 14's. I still get one every now and then. It is not a measure of how sick you are and as many have stated, there is a reason it is no longer criteria. You have to consider that many of the older criteria were determined by men who never had that experience and were basing it on data also recorded by men (no hate, just wanting to acknowledge that they had limited knowledge and had to base their information on limited scientific data available at the time). We now know better.

Indeed I'm glad we know better now, because I've always been taken aback by the use of that as a criteria, and how it was only corrected so recently as 2013. To me it's like, why should that any more be a diagnostic requirement than say, hair loss, low blood pressure, osteoporosis, dehydration, etc? These are all just potential side effects they don't necessarily define the disease, and amenorrhea is no exception. Weight loss is the only consistent physical signifier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users