"Have you always been so skinny?", asked my new gynecologist - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

"Have you always been so skinny?", asked my new gynecologist

doctor Happy moment Real anorexic Medical analysis

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 back_to_skinny

back_to_skinny

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:30 AM

...and then he went on to ask me if I have an ED background.

I am shocked that he was able to see this after seeing me for the first time. I have never officially been diagnosed with an ED and never received any official treatment wither. This fact always made me feel like a fake wannabe ED woman even though I did lose my period due to starving myself and overexercising.

Anyway, I somehow felt happy and excited after this encounter with my new gynecologist and wanted to share this ambiguous yet happy moment with you as there is nobody in the real world I am a part of who can relate.
  • CalSav, gossamer_wings, Hydra_ and 1 other like this

my stats and thinspiration 

Spoiler

FtGE.gif

♥ being a loving partner 

dreaming of my own home

fingers crossed 

#2 back_to_skinny

back_to_skinny

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:54 PM

Obviously, I was too excited to actually ask you whether you have experienced a similar situation? If you find the doctor's comment professional or unprofessional?

I distinctively remember that in my most serious ED episode I told my former GP (he's a really kind and supportive man) that my thoughts about food were unhealthy and that I lost a lot of weight and I didn't have my period back then but he said it would be normal to go through phases of weight loss and weight gain which is why I was so surprised at the reaction of my gynecologist this past Wednesday even though I am in the upper part of underweight right now and eat as many calories as I need to so that I do not lose my period again.

I would love to exchange ideas with and appreciate any comment! Have a wonderful Friday everyone!

Spoiler

FtGE.gif

♥ being a loving partner 

dreaming of my own home

fingers crossed 

#3 tententen

tententen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 02:00 AM

A hopefully not misplaced congratulations to you. Sounds like you got some much deserved validation out of this and also, no matter how kind and supportive your former GP seemed to you, he sounds suspiciously like an idiot. “All my thoughts are about food and I’m losing a lot of weight.” “Sounds normal to me!” No, GP. No.
  • Disappearing1 and back_to_skinny like this

#4 back_to_skinny

back_to_skinny

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:48 PM

A hopefully not misplaced congratulations to you. Sounds like you got some much deserved validation out of this and also, no matter how kind and supportive your former GP seemed to you, he sounds suspiciously like an idiot. “All my thoughts are about food and I’m losing a lot of weight.” “Sounds normal to me!” No, GP. No.

Thank you so much for your sweet comment. Even though I felt kind of proud about my gyn's comment back then I've been struggling with body dysmorphia. I have reached my low weight and am maintaining yet I dislike that my breasts seem to have disappeared while my thighs are still massive. Sorry for the rant...

Spoiler

FtGE.gif

♥ being a loving partner 

dreaming of my own home

fingers crossed 

#5 tententen

tententen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:09 PM

I wish we could trade, you can have my chest. I’m sorry about the body dysmorphia, I also struggle with that and it sucks horribly. Here to listen any time.
  • back_to_skinny likes this

#6 back_to_skinny

back_to_skinny

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:16 AM

I wish we could trade, you can have my chest. I’m sorry about the body dysmorphia, I also struggle with that and it sucks horribly. Here to listen any time.

Thank you for more nice words, I feel understood. I just have this weird love/hate relationship with my body. On the one hand, I feel extremely proud that I suceed at maintaining my underweight BMI (fasting, restricting, exercising do not come easily to me, I have to make an effort to engage in thrdr behaviours) on the other hand I still have my problem areas and they make me feel like a loser.

The same is true for people commenting on my allegedly skinny body. I feel surprised that they notice because I don't see myself as skinny, yet at the same time proud because they DO notice and simutlaneously insecure with thoughts about me looking too emaciated popping up.

Thank you very much for reading my lines. Knowing that MPA is a safe space with a supportive community who understands already helps incredibly much.

Spoiler

FtGE.gif

♥ being a loving partner 

dreaming of my own home

fingers crossed 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: doctor, Happy moment, Real anorexic, Medical analysis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users