Sometimes I wish I was poor for this reason - BED Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Sometimes I wish I was poor for this reason

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Falling_leaves

Falling_leaves

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2014 posts
  • Location🛌

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:44 AM

• Choco_Bitch_612, demonshaley and hevfl like this
HW: 69 kg
LW: 42 kg?
CW: 41.4 kg

Day(s) b/p free: 2
https://www.myproana...s#entry72410567

#2 𝔶𝔠𝔩𝔢𝔭𝔱

𝔶𝔠𝔩𝔢𝔭𝔱

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9349 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:07 AM

I mean with BED being poor doesn't change anything. I grew up poor and I'm still a broke student and I still binge constantly. I've even spent some of my last money before payday on food because the compulsion to binge is so strong.

Sometimes poverty even triggers me tbh. I'm so depressed over my financial state that it just makes me want to binge more.

You don't wish you were poor. Financial insecurity and instability sucks, is terrifying, and saps the happiness out of your life in so many ways. Poverty really fucking sucks.
Sounds like you just wish you didn't have BED.
  • thinspogirl17, CherryGreen, Choco_Bitch_612 and 10 others like this

fa71f8ac5b172a6d0f103c4c6da40ff4c026965b

#3 Nottfine

Nottfine

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:40 AM

.. You obviously don't know the struggles that comes with poverty

• 𝔶𝔠𝔩𝔢𝔭𝔱, Phtisie, wildflowersforever and 2 others like this
tumblr b169fd3efd1a99b7ed5801023e08e74c a824ecab 400

I'm really doing nothing all day

He|Him

#4 Falling_leaves

Falling_leaves

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2014 posts
  • Location🛌

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:45 AM

.. You obviously don't know the struggles that comes with poverty

obviously not, I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean it like that. It’s just a really dumb desperate though I get sometimes, but I guess circumstances doesn’t really affect EDs that much..
  • Choco_Bitch_612 and flickerbeat like this

#5 HipsRUs

HipsRUs

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:42 PM

I ate out of a trash can once. Just because a lady put a perfectly good funnel cake on the trash. I wasn't even hungry, I just saw it and wanted it. Plus when I grew up we had food stamps because my dad didn't want us going hungry. But I would still wait til my brothers are then I would eat after they did.

#6 wildflowersforever

wildflowersforever

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:56 PM

I can definitely see why ppl might find this offensive but I can 100% understand where you are coming from.
I grew up the same way, however I didn’t struggle with an ED until I left home. Like a previous comment said, you don’t wish you were poor. You wish you didn’t have the ED. And that’s okay. Ppl need to understand that EDs are literal mental illnesses. They fuck with your rational thoughts and perceptions. And with BED, we look outside ourselves, at our environment, the people we’re around, and hope we can simply chalk our illnesses up to that, when in reality it’s much more complicated.
  • CherryGreen, Choco_Bitch_612 and flickerbeat like this

#7 Choco_Bitch_612

Choco_Bitch_612

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9165 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:03 AM

I can definitely see why ppl might find this offensive but I can 100% understand where you are coming from.
I grew up the same way, however I didn’t struggle with an ED until I left home. Like a previous comment said, you don’t wish you were poor. You wish you didn’t have the ED. And that’s okay. Ppl need to understand that EDs are literal mental illnesses. They fuck with your rational thoughts and perceptions. And with BED, we look outside ourselves, at our environment, the people we’re around, and hope we can simply chalk our illnesses up to that, when in reality it’s much more complicated.

exactly.i (and many other ppl with ed's) have had literal fantasies of being locked up and starved. obviously, i don't actually want to be locked up and starved, but i'm mentally ill and desperate to be thin which isn't exactly a recipe for rational thought.

• flickerbeat, wildflowersforever and NellWingedDevil like this
                                             tumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.gif                                                                                                        

H: 5'7.5 LW: 150 (2014) SW: 158 (2014)  HW: 216 (Dec. 2019..that's embarrassing) CW: 188.8

nU14Dpl.png                            

tenor.gif

I wouldn't say I'm mentally ill, but I wouldn't say I'm mentally well, either

Tumblrhttps://pastxlblues.tumblr.com/

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/ednos.bitch/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ednospoison 

OMAD for June (Challenge)

Gw 1: 190 lbs (86 kg) BMI - 29.3

Gw 2: 180 lbs (82 kg) BMI - 27.8

Gw 3: 170 lbs (77 kg) BMI - 26.2

Gw 4: 160 lbs (73 kg) BMI - 24.7

Gw 5: 150 lbs (68 kg) BMI - 23.1

Gw 6: 140 lbs (64 kg) BMI - 21.6

Gw 7: 130 lbs (59 kg) BMI - 20.1

Gw 8: 120 lbs (54 kg) BMI - 18.5

UGW: 114 lbs(51 kg) BMI - 17.6 

MAINTAIN BETWEEN 107-114

tumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.gif 

Effy & Pandora 

Spoiler

Anime stuff

Spoiler

Korra stuff

Spoiler

Weight loss stuff

Spoiler

#8 aisaretai

aisaretai

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:30 AM

The disorder wouldn't disappear with poverty, at least if you live in a Western country. In fact poorer people are at a higher risk of obesity here, because processed foods full of sugar are the cheapest ones you find at the supermarket
  • thinspogirl17, wildflowersforever and CroissantWhore like this

#9 Phtisie

Phtisie

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:01 AM

feel free to syphon your money to me

• thinspogirl17, Choco_Bitch_612 and wildflowersforever like this

ijl2mHF.gif

#10 Pharmasqued

Pharmasqued

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:31 PM

I understand what you mean. I can relate.

• wildflowersforever likes this

Height : 1m73 or 5'8

HW : 73.5

CW : 66.5

LW : 65.9

GW : 65

UGW : 60

#11 vodkasodapls123

vodkasodapls123

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:03 PM

As someone who can’t afford food in general, this post is extremely offensive.

#12 thinspogirl17

thinspogirl17

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationTerabithia

Posted 11 May 2021 - 10:07 PM

Growing up in poverty is actually what I think gave my BED. My brain got so used to living in survival mode when it came to food that whenever I was around food I would just eat and eat and eat as a survival method I think. And it worked--I survived, and am now living above the poverty line(though just barely). But I can't always turn that part of my brain off. I get serotonin and a feeling of saftey while I'm binging, like the traumatic part of brain is being calmed, and I get to eat food that tastes good. BUT, after like 2 minutes, I can't seem to turn it off and I just keep going. I can see what you mean with your point, but accessibility to food does not equate eating disorder. By your logic, people will low access to food would have anorexia at higher rates--but as someone else pointed out, low income people are more likely to face obesity because the quality of food that is most readily accessible is often of poor nutrition.

I, personally, don't think it's offensive that you've said this, but it does show a lack of critical thinking or empathy for people below the poverty line for you to actually post something like this. Of course this site is a space to say things most people wouldn't say in their real lives, but sometimes being thoughtful of other people and their experiences is more important than just saying any thought that comes into our minds.

I deeply hope this isn't coming off as condescending or rude, I truly don't mean it that way, but I just really hope that you can please be more careful in the future.

#13 Falling_leaves

Falling_leaves

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2014 posts
  • Location🛌

Posted 11 May 2021 - 11:57 PM

Growing up in poverty is actually what I think gave my BED. My brain got so used to living in survival mode when it came to food that whenever I was around food I would just eat and eat and eat as a survival method I think. And it worked--I survived, and am now living above the poverty line(though just barely). But I can't always turn that part of my brain off. I get serotonin and a feeling of saftey while I'm binging, like the traumatic part of brain is being calmed, and I get to eat food that tastes good. BUT, after like 2 minutes, I can't seem to turn it off and I just keep going. I can see what you mean with your point, but accessibility to food does not equate eating disorder. By your logic, people will low access to food would have anorexia at higher rates--but as someone else pointed out, low income people are more likely to face obesity because the quality of food that is most readily accessible is often of poor nutrition.

I, personally, don't think it's offensive that you've said this, but it does show a lack of critical thinking or empathy for people below the poverty line for you to actually post something like this. Of course this site is a space to say things most people wouldn't say in their real lives, but sometimes being thoughtful of other people and their experiences is more important than just saying any thought that comes into our minds.

I deeply hope this isn't coming off as condescending or rude, I truly don't mean it that way, but I just really hope that you can please be more careful in the future.

I’m actually shocked about all the reaction here, I don’t know what else to say than I’m truly sorry. I’m actually a very emphatic caring person, but since I got depression/anhedonia a few years ago, I can’t feel emotions/empathy. My loving dog died, who was my whole life...and I didn’t even shed one tear. I lost all my friends and social life, and couldn’t care less. My dad almost got a heart attack, and I couldn’t feel scared/worried. My grandpa died, didn’t feel anything. This isn’t me. I’m so sick of this disorder. But yeah idk what else to say ..I’m sorry and I should probably delete this before I hurts someone else
  • Phtisie likes this

#14 thinspogirl17

thinspogirl17

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationTerabithia

Posted 12 May 2021 - 09:21 PM

I’m actually shocked about all the reaction here, I don’t know what else to say than I’m truly sorry. I’m actually a very emphatic caring person, but since I got depression/anhedonia a few years ago, I can’t feel emotions/empathy. My loving dog died, who was my whole life...and I didn’t even shed one tear. I lost all my friends and social life, and couldn’t care less. My dad almost got a heart attack, and I couldn’t feel scared/worried. My grandpa died, didn’t feel anything. This isn’t me. I’m so sick of this disorder. But yeah idk what else to say ..I’m sorry and I should probably delete this before I hurts someone else

I really appreciate this empathy. I actually think I'd maybe advocate for leaving it up, honestly. I think there are a lot of people who might think this--maliciously or not. It could be a good learning opportunity for them! Maybe you could go in and edit it and leave a disclaimer so that new readers of the post can get a little bit of perspective on the developments and conversations that have been had lol so they know your thoughts in a little bit of a more nuanced perspective?? Idk, just a thought!:) Also! Maybe this would be a cool opportunity to talk to your family about food waste and try to challenge them to be more mindful about the food they they buy(this would be a win for both the environment AND for your ED lololol).

Also, I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I can REALLY empathize with the emotional burnout. Especially throughout the pandemic it's been so hard to allocate feelings to almost anything. I hope things get better soon. For you, for us, for everyone on this site, and for everyone in the world. We're in this together. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users