short term keto experiences? - Low Carb Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

short term keto experiences?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thinningxskin

thinningxskin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:22 AM

hello everyone! i was wondering if anyone here has ever done a short term keto diet. if you have, how long did you do it for? was it effective? did you gain weight back after you stopped?

i have been retaining water like crazy and nothing helps so i was thinking to do keto for one week to hopefully get rid of water weight and then switch back to normal restricting. i’ve only read experiences of people who have been on keto for longer periods of time so i was wondering if the weight gain coming off would be as significant after only 1 week of keto. thank you in advance! :-)
H: 158cm ♡ 
HW: 62kg   LW: 45.2kg  
CW: 51.5kg UGW: 39-42kg 

#2 Depressed Jesus

Depressed Jesus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:28 PM

First time I did it, I did keto for a little over two weeks and lost around 6kg (5 of that in the first week), I gained half of it back afterwards, but only because I had a couple bad binges. I definitely think if i went back to restricting with no specific diet I’d maintain or lose more after it.
  • thinningxskin likes this
<3

#3 thinningxskin

thinningxskin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:32 PM

wow those are really impressive results!! thank you so much for sharing. i appreciate it 😊
H: 158cm ♡ 
HW: 62kg   LW: 45.2kg  
CW: 51.5kg UGW: 39-42kg 

#4 fraymagic

fraymagic

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Locationright behind you!

Posted 25 May 2021 - 08:09 AM

The first weightloss on keto is water weight. Your cells don't hang on to water without carbs, so just know you will gain some weight back once you stop the diet and eat carbs
  • alerexia and thinningxskin like this

You can't wake up

#5 starshapes

starshapes

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:19 AM

I often lose 5 lbs within the first few days of keto/IF. I just lost 3 overnight and it's only been one day, but I know I am seriously retaining water. you'll have to keep your carbs low to keep the water weight off cause it'll come back once you start eating normally again. but you can use it to jump start your weight loss and shed some temporary water weight

#6 journeyerr

journeyerr

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1297 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 May 2021 - 01:31 PM

hello everyone! i was wondering if anyone here has ever done a short term keto diet. if you have, how long did you do it for? was it effective? did you gain weight back after you stopped?

i have been retaining water like crazy and nothing helps so i was thinking to do keto for one week to hopefully get rid of water weight and then switch back to normal restricting. i’ve only read experiences of people who have been on keto for longer periods of time so i was wondering if the weight gain coming off would be as significant after only 1 week of keto. thank you in advance! :-)

it's a great option if you have 2 weeks before an event

i recommend following the Atkins induction phase

stay away from foods marketed as low carb, just eat meat, eggs, fish, and veggies and diet beverages only

count absolutely EVERYTHING and never go above 20g carbs a day

no alcohol, and limit your cheese intake also

you can lose major lbs with this plan, like 10 lbs if you've already been dieting and 20 lbs if you have been binge eating lately

if you only have 3-7 days before an event you should just fast that will get the weight off quicker

either way you will gain the 3-5 lbs of water weight back, and need to work to maintain any other weight lost but you probably knew this already

#7 Sloane-Shanahan

Sloane-Shanahan

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 03:07 AM

One week of keto, and (I guess?) your body isn't metabolically flexible from doing keto in the past?  You'd barely have time to get into and back out of ketosis.  It'd probably be more pain and discomfort than it's worth, as both going into and out of ketosis takes a few days and can come with various irritating side effects.  

I used to carb cycle and my 'keto phase' would last anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks.  It's almost unavoidable that you will gain water weight as soon as you get out of ketosis, but it's not anymore likely you'll gain fat ime.  Of course, if you really want to try it for a week and then just go back to restricting, I don't think it's going to do any real damage to try it.  I guess if you restrict low enough you might be able to avoid gaining most of the water weight back.

I've gained a lot of weight since those days, but that has more to do with bingeing and giving up on fitness for a long time than quitting keto, and it didn't happen as a result of eating carbs again.  I managed to maintain my weight for a long time eating a good amount of complex carbs, like quinoa and sweet potatoes.

#8 cloverhoneyy

cloverhoneyy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:32 PM

It takes about 3 days for your body to enter ketosis (burning fat as fuel instead of sugar). So after about a week, it's mostly going to be water weight lost. I do think you can drop a solid KG of fat which stays off if you can commit to strict keto for 2 weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users