Swelling when not purging - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Swelling when not purging

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bluemoonn

Bluemoonn

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

Yesterday I didn’t purge but instead of the swelling going down, my face swelled up like freaaaking balloon. Does the water retention gets worse at first when you don’t purge? When does it get better? It’s so demotivating. I hated my fave so much that I b/p’ed 4 times again today lol. Not helpful at all but I feel so desperate

<3

#2 Flymo89

Flymo89

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:10 PM

I'm struggling with this too, really have been trying to not b/p but the bloating all over is so uncomfortable it sends me back again. Maybe if we new how long it would last and when that light at the end of the tunnel would come it would be easier to push through but i guess its different for everyone.
SW 245 pounds
Gw 139 pounds

Height 181cm

#3 sewerside

sewerside

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8381 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:15 PM

deleted as i didnt read the post properly 

#4 Bluemoonn

Bluemoonn

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:24 AM

I'm struggling with this too, really have been trying to not b/p but the bloating all over is so uncomfortable it sends me back again. Maybe if we new how long it would last and when that light at the end of the tunnel would come it would be easier to push through but i guess its different for everyone.

I feel you aaah

• Flymo89 likes this

<3

#5 Passivesuicidalist

Passivesuicidalist

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1426 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 04:13 AM

I promise, it DOES get better. And it sucks in the meantime and I know it feels like you'll have a "fat" face forever (I literally always convinced myself it was real weight gain in my face from literally a day or two lol) but I'm telling you, it gets way better. My face was swollen enough after quitting purging to make me really self conscious for maybe a week and a half or two, tops, before it started to visibly get smaller. You gotta stick with it though.

Think of it like if you get a cut. It takes awhile for it to heal and the scab is ugly, but just part of the healing process. After awhile the scab goes away and your skin looks normal again. But if you are impatient and try picking at it, it starts bleeding again and has to re-scab, making the healing process even longer. It'll heal eventually either way, your actions just control how long it takes.

My analogy for the best method? Fucking bandage that shit up lol. Aka avoid mirrors for a bit because it won't do any good and only make it harder to stick it out if it's something that bothers you as much as it did me. I haven't purged in about 6 months! You can do it, too ❤️
  • Bluemoonn likes this
Highest BMI: 23.4 (Post refeeding/IP)
Lowest BMI: 12.1 (Acute renal failure)
Current BMI: I haven't the faintest clue, I had to quit weighing myself 4 years ago to (attempt to) save my sanity.

#6 loletaxeni

loletaxeni

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5513 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 04:21 AM

Probably caused by electrolyte imbalance or something. Eventually it will even out. Just try to relax and wait for some days.

#7 kitn

kitn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4876 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:39 AM

face swelling takes a while of consistently not purging to go down.

MESSAGES ARE BROKEN PLEASE CONTACT ME HERE

#8 Bluemoonn

Bluemoonn

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:44 AM

I promise, it DOES get better. And it sucks in the meantime and I know it feels like you'll have a "fat" face forever (I literally always convinced myself it was real weight gain in my face from literally a day or two lol) but I'm telling you, it gets way better. My face was swollen enough after quitting purging to make me really self conscious for maybe a week and a half or two, tops, before it started to visibly get smaller. You gotta stick with it though.

Think of it like if you get a cut. It takes awhile for it to heal and the scab is ugly, but just part of the healing process. After awhile the scab goes away and your skin looks normal again. But if you are impatient and try picking at it, it starts bleeding again and has to re-scab, making the healing process even longer. It'll heal eventually either way, your actions just control how long it takes.

My analogy for the best method? Fucking bandage that shit up lol. Aka avoid mirrors for a bit because it won't do any good and only make it harder to stick it out if it's something that bothers you as much as it did me. I haven't purged in about 6 months! You can do it, too ❤️

Thank you SO much for this <3 I'm really proud of you for not purging in 6 months!! That's awesome! 

<3

#9 valfreyja

valfreyja

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:03 PM

I agree it only takes a week or two to completely change. I didn't notice how puffy my face was because it happened gradually and I was just convinced I'd gotten a bit uglier lmao and then when I managed to stop purging it changed dramatically within two weeks. Glands under my chin went from avocado stone size to normal and my cheekbones are the widest part of my face again, not the same width as my swollen puffy shapeless cheeks. You just have to make it through that first week
  • foggyfool likes this

#10 Bluemoonn

Bluemoonn

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:33 PM

I agree it only takes a week or two to completely change. I didn't notice how puffy my face was because it happened gradually and I was just convinced I'd gotten a bit uglier lmao and then when I managed to stop purging it changed dramatically within two weeks. Glands under my chin went from avocado stone size to normal and my cheekbones are the widest part of my face again, not the same width as my swollen puffy shapeless cheeks. You just have to make it through that first week

Thank you so much for replying and sharing your experience <3 I really hope I’ll be able to stay a week b/p free
  • valfreyja likes this

<3

#11 Emptyspirits

Emptyspirits

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2202 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:06 PM

This can happen. I quit purging cold turkey after IP and my cheeks developed salvia stones. - they told me to take otc nSAIDS AND suck on LEMONHEADS! I hope you feel better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users