How I Lost 45lbs June 8th 2020-May 10th 2021 - Diet Results - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How I Lost 45lbs June 8th 2020-May 10th 2021

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1088 posts
  • LocationSunnydale, looking for my key

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:16 AM

So yeah, I've lost 45.3lbs since last June.

Might not be that impressive, but I've kept it off thus far, so...

It makes it sound like I was one of those 'I wash myself with a rag on a stick' people, but I was only ever just about overweight at my heaviest (anorexia recovery/antipsychotics related weight gain from overeating largely) as I'm tall.

I still have a way to go to get to my ugw, but I'm thinking I'll just try and maintain for a while by eating my BMR calories as I quite like my current size, plus I have a huge pile of old skinny clothes that now fit me.

4-digit calories freak me out, but I'm just gonna have to deal. My body needs a break to be honest.

If anyone wants some blunt, foul mouthed thoughts & tips from a belligerent old bitch, here you go:

• completely banish alcohol from your life.

Like, immediately. Won't bore you with the liver/metabolism science - essentially, your body prioritises getting rid of booze as it's seen as poison (which it technically is), so anything you eat when boozing is automatically stored as fat. Yep - if you wanna lose weight, you gotta be sober (PS - 'drunkorexia' is a fatlogic bullshit myth perpetuated by morons). Alcohol has as many calories per gram as fat, but unlike fat, it's empty calories that you could have spent on food. It also disinhibits you & gives you the munchies, so you're more likely to eat shit

• get off your arse

uninstall Facebook, turn off the anime/K-pop videos/Netflix, put your phone away & go for a fucking walk. Sedentary lifestyles kill.

• no purging ever.

Again, there's metabolism science behind this, but yep - don't make yourself spew (or abuse pee/poo pills if you're into that)

See the spike in the middle of my chart down there? Guess what caused that.....

• completely banish ALL fast food from your life.

Yes, even Subway.
All fast food is very carefully engineered via manipulation of salt/sugar/fat/MSG to make you want more, more, more which ultimately makes you poor & fat.

• ALL diet pills/shakes/teas are snake oil & utter bullshit.

Except glucomannan
Generic glucomannan pills/powders are extremely cheap, so don't get suckered into buying overpriced shit like Boombod that some brain dead celebutard is flogging on Insta.

The rest of these diet pills literally just give you a jolt of caffeine you could have obtained in bog standard coffee and/or they're laxatives that'll make you shit out water to give the false impression of fat loss.

Pharmaceuticals are a different matter - I know the wannarexics constantly obsess over getting their paws on ADHD meds, ephedrine, meth, speed, etc.

They may make you lose weight, but they fuck with your heart too. You may ultimately fit that cute ugw dress, but you might not get to fully appreciate your glow up reveal as the only the dude seeing it will be the medical technician prepping you for your autopsy.

I recommend Elizabeth Wurtzels memoir on her Adderall addiction - it ain't pretty.

• Intermittent fasting isn't magic as it's just CICO like every other diet, but it works like a charm

I did the full ABC diet for a laugh about 6 months into adopting an intermittent fasting lifestyle & it made it infinitely easier.

Lost 15lbs in those 50 days which I've kept off & it really helped boost my overall weight loss.

I'd recommend anyone considering ABC or any of the other dumb butterfly diets to train their bodies to IF a minimum of 16:8 for a good few months before hand & focus on low carb for their eating window.

The reason for ABC's high failure rate is constant eating of tiny nibbles all day plays havoc with your insulin & so your appetite goes mental

• Spend your calorie limit wisely

Eat high fibre, water dense food like cruciferous vegetables & lean protein like tuna, egg whites, etc rather than shit that barely qualifies as food - McDonald's, muffins, cakes, sugary frappucinos, etc.

• Liquid calories are the devil.

They take zero effort for your body to process as there's no fibre, etc, they won't fill you up & refined sugar is immediately stored as fat. You're better off eating an orange instead of chugging orange juice.

See also, bullshit like Huel - aside from the factory being exposed as a rat shit riddled dump, you're better off eating cheap, filling, real, unprocessed food than drinking a glorified McDonald's milkshake that'll just make you hungry & likely to binge later.

And if you're using Herbalife, I'm sorry you're trapped in a pyramid scheme/your loved one is trapped in a pyramid scheme & you have a garage full of unsellable stock, but that shit has literally killed people. Throw it in the bin.

Juice Plus & Beach Body are also pyramid schemes & their products have been proven to be utter bollocks too.

• If you don't buy it, you can't eat it

Pretty simple really - if you don't have the option to binge on cake because there's none in the cupboard, you can't binge on it.

Also worth only taking the cash you absolutely need for bus fares, etc when you're out so you don't impulse buy shit.

I have a second bank account where I put £10 on the balance each week for pet food, toilet roll, etc - my normal bank account card stays at home & I take the £10 when I go out.

It helps that I'm extremely poor, so I don't have the cash to waste on shit.

Also, uninstall food delivery apps for obvious reasons - JustEat, UberEats, Deliveroo treat their staff like shit & so you're evil if you give these companies your money anyway.

If you want a pizza, physically go to the place on foot - cravings last 20 mins, so by the time you get there, you most likely won't even want it anymore. If you still want it, at least you've burned 150+ calories walking 2x20 minutes

But don't go to Papa John's.
John is a legit Nazi & sex pest & the staff are treated like absolute shit, from delivery dudes all the way to the board room, even after John resigned in disgrace after one sexual harrassment lawsuit too many

• Weigh everything

Enough with the whole 'a handful of', 'a dash of', 'a pinch of', 'a few', 'a spoon of' fuzzy-measurements.

Buy an electronic food scale (mine was £8) and a set of measuring spoons & you can't go wrong.

You'll be able to accurately track what you're eating on MFP, etc. Bear in mind tho, nutrition labels can be wildly inaccurate, hence it's better to eat mainly unprocessed, whole foods with standard nutritional values.

Also bear in mind that MFP is like Wikipedia - a lot of illiterate morons input a lot of the data & so nutritional values for food they've added can be way off. Don't treat it as gospel & compare the label (although this isn't gospel either) so what's on MFP before committing to adding it to your diary.

• Keep your bathroom scales in the kitchen

Sounds weird, but it'll make you think twice about inhaling the fridge if you've got to pass your scale to get to it.

• Make it a pain in the arse to get to shit food

If you absolutely must buy crap, put it on a high shelf that you need a stepladder to get to, etc

It'll be easier to just eat an apple if getting to that chocolate requires a load of effort

• Be mindful of lame excuses

Things like 'oh I have to eat my bodyweight in shit because I'm going out to dinner/it's Christmas/it's my cat's quinceanera'

Unless you're being physically pinned to the ground with a funnel pouring gallons of Shamrock Shake down your gullet, you are solely responsible for what you consume.

Weight loss requires holistic lifestyle changes, so you shouldn't need to choose between your social life & diet - you just need to make smarter food choices.

If Big Fat Sue from work is judging your low calorie lunch & suggesting you eat a Big Mac, it says more about Big Fat Sue's self esteem level than anything else.

• Don't freak out over period cravings

It's 100% natural to have insane food cravings the week before your period - maybe even during it

Hormones are mother fuckers & the various fluctuations in progesterone & oestrogen have a direct impact on appetite as well as water weight.

Just as you'll have an insatiable appetite, turn into a sloth & feel like you want to stab the world in the face pre/during your period, you'll also have a time between periods when you're not very hungry, have more stamina during exercise & you feel like you could fuck anything that moves (your body's way of saying 'please get pregnant') - everything balances out weight wise.

No, youve not put on 5lbs overnight before/during your period - that's 100% water. 

You would need to eat 3500 cals over your TDEE to put a pound of fat on in one day.

Just stay away from the scale when Aunt Irma makes her monthly visit.

Also worth getting a period tracker app so you know where you are in your cycle, so if your PMT phase is on the horizon, you can lock all your sweets in a safe, steal a rowing boat, sail out to international waters under cover of darkness & chuck it in the ocean.

• You can't outrun a bad diet

Exercise should be treated as 'nice to have', but if you overeat, a run won't magically undo it.

Net cals logic is utter bullshit & fitness watch 'calories burned' are little more than finger-in-the-air guesstimates.

The only legitimate way to find out how many calories you burn via exercise is to go to a sports science professional like those frequented by Olympic athletes.

• TDEE is key

As long as you eat less than your TDEE (not accurate by any means, but a vague guide), you'll lose weight

Contrary to what the fat acceptance cult preaches, your weight is determined by calories in, calories out.

Yes, you may have PCOS, be on meds, have some genetic issue that makes your appetite stronger, but these in and of themselves don't make people 600lbs. It's the bin bag size portions of Doritos that do that.

You also don't have to live on 200 calories a day to lose weight.

Once again for those in the back, as long as you eat less than your TDEE (or BMR if you're a glutton for punishment), you can't not lose weight.

You need to be honest when calculating your TDEE tho. If you sit on your arse all day, but deem yourself as moderately active & use that TDEE number, don't be surprised if you don't lose weight.

• weigh yourself weekly, not daily

Fluctuations due to food weight/water/un-pooed poo can all lead to demotivating false readings.

If you absolutely must weigh daily (I'm in the process of weaning myself off this), use the Libre app (where my graph is from)

This tracks your overall trend, so it cares less about day to day ups & downs, more about averages over time

See my reply on this thread that details 'the whoosh effect' for more info

• 'starvation mode' is a fatlogic myth.

You will not slow your metabolism by dieting.

The reason 'diets fail, you'll just get fat again' is because people lose the weight and go back to eating their fat weight TDEE, not their thin weight TDEE. You should recalculate your TDEE every time you weigh in (SailRabbit is great for this) and adjust your intake accordingly.

• a binge is not the end of the world.

If you've been low restricting, a binge might actually boost weight loss. Just don't let a one day binge turn into a week of 'fuck it' bingeing

Don't throw up/eat 100 Dulcolax either

At best, you'll throw up 1/3-1/2 of your binge (no, eating a load of Twizzlers as markers so if you see red, you've emptied your stomach is nonsense - stomach contents aren't neatly layered like trifles, they're more like casseroles as your stomach pulsates, twitches & churns food like a washing machine), plus your body wises up & will think 'oof - she's spewing again, better absorb these calories higher up her digestive tract'.

Laxatives/water pills do nothing to undo a binge - all the food has been digested by the time it's unpooed poo - all youll do is shit water weight & fuck up your heart due to electrolyte imbalances.

Chew and spit doesn't work either - you can't not swallow calories, your insulin response is immediately triggered the second your tongue touches the food, your body will think 'ooh something sweet is coming!' & when you don't deliver, you'll be bombarded with cravings until you cave & dive head first into a full blown binge. You'll also nuke your teeth and salivary glands & potentially give yourself IBS (been there, done that for all three, do not recommend). IMO, it's worse for you than purging as at least then, you've reached a point of being absolutely stuffed full of food, so generally once you purge, you're done with bingeing for the rest of the day. With C&S, you can go on indefinitely, which is why it fucks your system.

• a tape measure is your best friend

Costs £1 & it's the best indicator of fat loss you can buy.

Measure waist, tits & hips each week & you'll find that even if there's no change on the scale, you'll have lost inches.

It's also worth having a pair of ugw jeans (specifically jeans as they're less stretchy) to try on each week & get an idea of fat loss

• get rid of your fat clothes as you lose weight

As I've lost weight, I've been ebaying my fat clothes - mainly for the cash, but also to make it harder to accept weight gain.

If you get down to a size 10, but still have 12/14/16 in your wardrobe, you'll just go back to your fat clothes if you give up & regain weight. If you only have size 10's, the second those jeans feel snug, you can do damage control & stop yourself ballooning.

I guess if you have the cash & particularly love a fat dress, you can pay to have it sized down by a tailor tho.

_________
Might add more later if I think of anything

766c346c324f42abd17e02651a0ba419.jpg

• Hartera, jenniferme, Purple100 and 13 others like this

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#2 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1088 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:23 AM

Some recommended reading

(Google 'z library' to get them for free, but use a VPN as it's not strictly legal)

c90f4ae91ae35020de0c4b9a4e5d6160.jpgce424b26b9229b99e352cb2352141a34.jpg7de7155267f15d5a4c652362d257ee0b.jpg2c6bb4b20cd831549fa0e7cf1c3e4598.jpge730b2429b62c60128373a92ec0b5978.jpg4ed84a71e4c54dacb4fa517477f9fc18.jpg
  • thittlelighs, Hartera, exacerbatinged and 2 others like this

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#3 jenniferme

jenniferme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:51 AM

This is just amazing, congrats for losing such amount. I really loved how clear and blunt you were such a wake up call really...I appreciate that, thanks❣️
  • Glorificus likes this

#4 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1088 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:16 AM

This is just amazing, congrats for losing such amount. I really loved how clear and blunt you were such a wake up call really...I appreciate that, thanks

Aww thank you!

Honestly, decent weight loss is very easily doable with some lifestyle tweaks, etc so you'll get there

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#5 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1088 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 08:36 AM

Recommended YouTubers

- these are largely gym-bro scientists, but they're more blunt & informative IMO.

I've never understood the fascination with people here watching 'The Best Little Girl in the World' a thousand times in the hope Goddess Ana will fly through the window & up their butthole so they magically stop eating.

Far better to educate yourself on how the meat bag you walk around in works & how to make it behave.

_______

Dr Sten
https://youtube.com/c/drekberg

Alan Roberts
https://youtube.com/...yDamnDayFitness

Michelle McDaniel
https://youtube.com/...ichelleMcDaniel

Obese to Beast
https://youtube.com/user/ObesetoBeast

Biolayne
https://youtube.com/c/biolayne1

Illuminaughti
(selected vids where she debunks supplements)
https://youtu.be/eq9eCJBW74Q
https://youtu.be/TDinT12hlLo
https://youtu.be/50N0U3H5BAE
https://youtu.be/Ji9jhD0bLsk
https://youtu.be/atyTZz5dRQs

I'll add more if I can think of any

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#6 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1088 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 03:38 AM

Maintenance/Further Loss Accountability

Will post overall summaries here too  

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#7 Purple100

Purple100

Advanced Sage

• Supporter
  • 1973 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 07:10 AM

This is great. Good job! I especially appreciate that you emphasize being under TDEE. I was going by my fitbit calories, was one year hypothyroid due to wrong dosage of thyroid hormone, yet my metabolism or discrepancy between fitbit and TDEE was only about 20-30 % max which still gave me plenty to eat (1800+) and to loose slowly (burning 2600+). Even doctor was surprised that being hypo I did not gain weight. Yes I was also working out my ass off but it was worth it.

• Glorificus and angrychair75 like this

#8 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1088 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:34 PM

Forgot about this article I saved that talks about why we plateau

I've copy/pasted the text as it's a dudes personal blog & he'd be notified if it's linked here & he'd quite rightly be horrified, lol

"Fundamentally speaking, burning fat is all about creating a calorie deficit. You eat less food than your body requires, thus forcing your body to make up the difference by getting energy from fat reserves. This isn’t a theory. It’s the first law of thermodynamics. It’s literally one of the laws of physics. And it all contributes to “the whoosh” effect.

However, as many diligent dieters have personally learned, the amount of weight that you lose each day, or each week, is rarely consistent.

Some weeks, you’ll find that you don’t lose any weight at all. Even when you’ve had a perfect workout schedule and eaten at a perfect caloric deficit the scale is inconsistent. Other weeks you’ll discover that you lost way more weight than the numbers say you should have lost.

If the laws of calorie-in/calorie-out are real, why would a person lose such dramatically different amounts of weight from week to week, despite following an identical routine?

Enter… “The Whoosh Effect”

As you burn fat, you’ll sometimes notice that the area where the fat used to be now takes on a sort of squishy consistency. Squishy fat forms because as fat cells are extracted and mobilized, space where they once existed gets filled with water, making the area feel softer than normal. Sometimes squishy fat forms in places we can see it, and sometimes it forms more internally where we can’t. Sometimes it’s in huge pockets, and sometimes it forms at a microscopic level where you can’t see it or feel it. But the areas that were once filled with fat sit there, filled with water!

The squushy fat areaa can last for a few days to as much as a few weeks. Then, one day, inexplicably and out of nowhere, all that squishy fat suddenly tightens up! In some cases, you’ll even (suddenly) look leaner. And at the same time, the scale suddenly drops, and you cheer because you feel like whatever you did the day before caused you to lose a ton of weight!

It will probably surprise you to learn that almost ALL scale movements are the result of fat burn that happened days, or even weeks ago! Sudden scale movement at the very beginning of a diet is usually the result of water-weight being dropped due to a decrease in carb intake.

Did you catch that? When the scale goes down while dieting, it’s usually because of fat that you lost several days (or even weeks) ago, and your body is finally expelling the water that took its place.

Put another way, even though you may be in a state where you are constantly burning fat, the results of that effort may not show up on the scale immediately. And more likely, they’ll show all at once, one day, where you’ll have a sudden “whoosh” of weight-loss.

The Minnesota Starvation Experiment

During World War II, a scientific study was performed wherein 36 men volunteered for a semi-starvation diet of 1,500 calories a day for 6 months, combined with several hours of hard labor every day. This became known as the “Minnesota Starvation Experiment.” The purpose was to learn about the physiology and psychology of starvation and use the data to help the returning Prisoners of War.

One of the many interesting findings that came from this study was that weight loss progressed in a nice, linear fashion in the beginning. Men lost about 2 pounds per week, every week. After some time, though, it became erratic and unpredictable.

Body weight would remain stagnant for several weeks followed by overnight “bursts” of large amounts of weight loss (3+ pounds). It’s physically impossible to burn several pounds of fat overnight, so how is that possible?

Well, the scientists looked into the phenomenon further and found the answer: water retention.

The men were steadily losing fat even when their weight wasn’t changing because as they lost more fat, they held more water. This only became obvious once the excess water was expelled, which gave the appearance of very rapid weight loss.

So let’s be very clear on what was happening:

The calorie deficit did its job by systematically reducing body fat. But the reductions in total body weight were often counter-balanced by increases in water retention.

How can you avoid the “Whoosh effect”?

Short answer: You can’t. Or more accurately put, you don’t really need to. It’s your body’s natural method of coping with fat-loss. Just let it do its thing.

Long answer: Scientists in the study referenced above actually found a trigger to cause the whoosh effect. You ready? It was a single meal that included a dramatic increase in caloric intake. For instance, a 2,300-calorie meal was served to celebrate the half-way mark of the experiment, and researchers noted that many of the men woke up several times to pee that night and, in the morning, were several pounds lighter than the day before.

Yeah, you read that right, a small cheat-meal triggered the drop in water-weight… And it’s one of the key reasons I recommend incorporating a REASONABLE cheat meal once a week into your long-term weight loss plan.

Once again, it’s important to reiterate that you don’t NEED to do anything to trigger the whoosh effect. It’ll happen when it happens. But sometimes, if you’ve been dieting for a long time (6+ weeks) and haven’t lost anything on the scale for 1-2 weeks. A small cheat meal can help you feel like things are “back on track”.

Conclusion

A weight loss plateau doesn’t necessarily equate to a fat-loss plateau. Just because the scale isn’t moving, it doesn’t mean you’re not burning fat. It doesn’t mean you’re doing anything wrong.

Second, and probably more importantly, don’t expect results every single morning when you weigh-in. While it CAN work this way (and often does early on), it’s not typical. You might find that weighing-in once a week is a better strategy if you find yourself dealing with this problem"

All this 100% happened during my weight loss plan - check out my graph further up where it shows the overall loss pattern as opposed to daily fluctuations.
  • katie108 and s7vnth like this

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#9 ArmyPrincess

ArmyPrincess

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2099 posts
  • LocationThe stars

Posted 31 May 2021 - 03:04 PM

Great post, only one thing I don't agree with!

"You will not slow your metabolism by dieting.

The reason 'diets fail, you'll just get fat again' is because people lose the weight and go back to eating their fat weight TDEE, not their thin weight TDEE. You should recalculate your TDEE every time you weigh in (SailRabbit is great for this) and adjust your intake accordingly."

I've experienced not losing weight until I lower my calories to under 1000, or maintaining on calories which I should not be maintaining on for MONTHS, and it only ever happens after a long time of restriction, and I haven't lost a significant amount to where my TDEE is so much lower. Your body when starving shuts down bodily functions, which is why we lose hair, get cold, lose energy etc. Your body does adjust to long-term restriction and losing gets much harder :/

162cm

HW: 57 kg / 125 lbs (BMI 21.7) July 2019

LW: 47.5 kg / 104 lbs (BMI 18.1) Dec 2020

CW: 51kg / 112 lbs  (BMI 19.4) June 2021

#10 99mirrors

99mirrors

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:53 PM

Loved reading this. I have been on MPA for years and everytime I stumbled across something you have posted, it made me laugh. Congrats on your success!
  • Glorificus likes this

pKQD1Xg.gif 
5'4" 
30 f INFP Aquarius
cw: 198
lw: 130
gw 1: 175
gw 2: 160
gw 3: 140
ugw:125

pKQD1Xg.gif

IWe3RrE.png

#11 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1088 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 03:56 AM

Loved reading this. I have been on MPA for years and everytime I stumbled across something you have posted, it made me laugh. Congrats on your success!

Aww thank you! :)

xx

Sent from my Redmi 8 using Tapatalk

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#12 éloise

éloise

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Locationseoul

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:35 PM

i read this topic already some weeks ago (but i was awaiting member approval) and i just wanted to pop in and say that this topic is so great!! you clearly put a lot of time and effort and thought in making this and more people should read this because it answers to questions that are posted over and over again ahahah anyways, congrats on your diet<333

i want to have my cake and eat it too                                                        currently doing 2468 diet  (ღˇᴗˇ)。o                                                                height: 160 cm / 5'3

hbmi: 20.9

♡ cbmi: 19.8

#13 Pantsy12345

Pantsy12345

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:54 PM

I just had a weird experience with this. Ate pretty much nothing for 4 days cos bad gastro. Weighed yesterday and had lost nothing!!!! Ate 1200 and woke up to pee a lot in the night.

This morning, I'd lost 2.5kg and am now *finally* at bmi 18.53. So close.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users