How long after you've eaten is purging not effective? - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How long after you've eaten is purging not effective?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dizzy'nfainty

Dizzy'nfainty

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Locationcandy-isle

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:45 PM

If I purge straight away, obviously it would be more effective than if I've waited 20 minutes. But how long after does it become a pointless exercise (in weight loss terms)

Unsurprisingly I've been unable to find this information on Google.

H: 5'8 SW: 158 GW: 115 CW 119

#2 sewerside

sewerside

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8388 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:55 PM

well im not sure, i dont think theres an exact concrete answer. maybe its different for everyone but once i had food come up after 2 hours so but i suppose if u havent been purging for that long then that wouldnt happen for you? 

i dont obviously wait 2 hours tho, i set a timer for an hour so i know how long i have left to get it up before it becomes difficult. 

#3 02kg

02kg

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:46 PM

like what the comment above mine says, its probably different for everyone. i personally try to purge under 30 mins bc i think its more effective that way. if i go past that it's hard for me to get food out

5'2 | 17 | ugw 90

dct0kvm-5c4a94f0-ac7a-44f8-a758-2456df37

ten hearts for june

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

#4 EdNose

EdNose

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:55 PM

the boring but right answer must be that it isn't effective. But also that the body adopts so that it gets better and better at saving the nutrition. So the answer to your question is that time gets more and more important. But to use purging as a way to lose weight is a bad idea. 

#5 kitn

kitn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4928 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:25 PM

in my experience the more I purge the longer I can leave it.. I've heard many others say the same thing around here too. it's because digestion becomes slower for some of us the more we purge. also there is sometimes a problem with purging too soon. not just bc of how much you can get up but also to avoid choking.

MESSAGES ARE BROKEN PLEASE CONTACT ME HERE

#6 Dizzy'nfainty

Dizzy'nfainty

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Locationcandy-isle

Posted 12 May 2021 - 08:25 PM

the boring but right answer must be that it isn't effective. But also that the body adopts so that it gets better and better at saving the nutrition. So the answer to your question is that time gets more and more important. But to use purging as a way to lose weight is a bad idea.

Yeah, I don't binge and purge, I restrict and purge on occasion (it's getting worse tho lololol)

I've read that it's not effective and bulimics tend to not lose weight. But anecdotally I've found it does seem to work.

H: 5'8 SW: 158 GW: 115 CW 119

#7 racecar

racecar

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Locationmentally, i'm skinny on a beach drinking margaritas

Posted 13 May 2021 - 12:33 AM

for me, 30 min after eating is the sweet spot. I'd say after 60 min you start moving the food and after 2 hours, you're done. sometimes takes up to 3, but you probably won't get anything up an hour and a half or more.

god forbid I exercise a little...

#8 DistressedOrange

DistressedOrange

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3856 posts
  • LocationLaundering My Exit Bag

Posted 13 May 2021 - 01:46 AM

Really?? The longer I purged for the worst my body got at saving nutrition
  • EdNose likes this

Accountability NEW taste LOW IN CALORIES 

https://www.myproana...es-whoop-whoop/

157cm/5'2" aka short but with long legs, proportionally

Trying to stay out of IP

CW: 34-35kg (BMI 13.8-14.2)

LW: BMI 11.6

main qimg ccff807404625ee45ceed597e49d9bb9

tumblr o577clWumO1urz3l2o1 400

giphy

Salad

Spoiler

#9 notslimkindashady

notslimkindashady

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 02:05 AM

Digestion times vary widely between individuals but this is a general average:

1) 50% of stomach contents emptied 2.5 to 3 hours
2) Total emptying of the stomach 4 to 5 hours
3) 50% emptying of the small intestine 2.5 to 3 hours
4) Transit through the colon 30 to 40 hours.

That's based on an average meal of mixed foods though. Other things to keep in mind, liquids will digest faster than solids, protein and fat will digest slower and stay in the stomach longer than carbs, and chronic b/p can lead to gastroparesis over time, if you have that food can stay in the stomach literally for hours.

So basically there is no magic cutoff when purging is no longer effective but within the first 2-3 hours you can be reasonably certain of getting at least 50% out.

Edit to include references:
http://www.vivo.colo...cs/transit.html

#10 Guest_princesstofu_*

Guest_princesstofu_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:05 AM

36 hours lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users