Fat Phobia (?) - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Fat Phobia (?)

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#21 Pandoras-Box

Pandoras-Box

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2340 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 May 2021 - 09:04 AM

Fat Liberation, Fat Acceptance, Body Positive -- these ideals are sneaking into recovery literature and stating that all Ed's are directly rooted in fatphobia...so you have to admit you are fatphobic to truly "heal"

Thanx. I'm all for body positivity, and loving your bod weather you a size 2 or 22 yet that sounds insane....

• littlelightweight and Milianna like this

<p>Dream Believe you will succeed-Scott Stapp--
Height 5-9
Weight-112

gw:100

ugh:98

#22 ivorypeacocks

ivorypeacocks

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 May 2021 - 09:43 AM

yeah there's been this thing in body posi online spaces lately, making all eating disorders seem like we are focused on fat people's bodies and nothing else lol

Exactly! I'm tired of the body positivity people making everything about themselves. Like...no one is that obsessed with you. Sorry.

• littlelightweight, Diet_Coke_Head, Abbey84 and 5 others like this

h: 5'3" (162 cm)

hw: 130 lbs (60 kg)

lw: 95 lbs (43 kg)

cw: 110 lbs (50 kg)

gw: 90 lbs (40 kg)

#23 Hereigo

Hereigo

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 10:59 AM

My eating disorder started with trauma from my house fire, grief from my grandma dying of cancer, and stress from trying to find a job. My goal weights were my weights from childhood: 9th grade, 8th grade, 7th grade, 6th grade, then I’m not valid until I hit BMI 13. None of it had anything to do with fatphobia. Also I’m not afraid of becoming fat because I know it will never happen. I’m afraid of being medium size.
  • sailormoonlegs, littlelightweight and ForeverDieting like this

#24 WorthlessCow

WorthlessCow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 11:16 AM

Fat activists feel the need to center themselves in everything. They don't understand that we can hate ourselves and not really think anything about them. They pretend they suffer from the same exact disease we do because they want their voices to be louder than ours.

I'm sorry, but too many fat acceptance people really despise people with EDs, instead of having sympathy for us. They pretend to care about mental health and then they treat us like monsters. I'm tired of it.

We're victims of the same hateful, thin obsessed culture they are. The difference is we're apparently garbage for not being able to handle it as well as they can.

• littlelightweight, freezer burn, ForeverDieting and 5 others like this

#25 catgomeow

catgomeow

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5709 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 29 May 2021 - 11:17 AM

Tbh I think some of it is an excuse to encourage another ed. by saying that they've renounced fatphobia they can ignore their own bed.

Not saying I'm healthy, but neither are they
  • littlelightweight, makirx and Light_Tuna like this
Visit my food folder! giphy.gifStats:
Spoiler
Social medias:
Spoiler

#26 Ava Guinevere

Ava Guinevere

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 May 2021 - 11:33 AM

I'm sorry, shows like My 600 Pound Life exist to entertain normal people. The Biggest Loser is essentially 'turn exercise and diet into torture because the participants deserve it and they're cleansing themselves of their egregious sins'... we might be fucked up in the head but our reactions are self destructive and deadly, a mental illness. I can't imagine anything worse than being of a healthy mind and a piece of trash because, sans disorder- you're offended someone else lives their existence differently. I'm sure working till you're old enough to get abused in a nursing home is a goal everyone should aim for- we've just had a pandemic illuminate the generation that ate right, exercised and were all the right size got rewarded for it with a nursing home, sitting ducks for abuse and illnesses. 

Picking on people with eating disorders really won't solve medical bias or any of the issues afflicting larger people. You're just victimizing a group across the eating disorder spectrum who have to deal with stone age mentalities and higher suicide rates. It doesn't make you look good- it just makes you trash.

Tbh I think some of it is an excuse to encourage another ed. by saying that they've renounced fatphobia they can ignore their own bed.

Not saying I'm healthy, but neither are they

Most people with larger bodies don't have BED or an eating disorder. I hate the fact normal people would rather make BED look voluntary than admit most people are in full control.

• Sasha_Ascendant and snork like this

Oh, wait. I just realized I don't care.

#27 stupidgirl404

stupidgirl404

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 11:36 AM

Hmm I don't necessarily agree...

In my mind, being scared of being fat and treating fat people badly are two separate things. You can want to lose weight and still respect people who are fat because most of our desires to lose weight are rooted in society's wild beauty expectations, not hatred for fat people. 

• littlelightweight, Pandoras-Box, ForeverDieting and 2 others like this

#28 AshOfTheLilacs

AshOfTheLilacs

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 11:49 AM

ugh, it's so fucking dumb. I hate myself for being fat - I could not give less of a shit what other people look like and I think that the treatment of fat people in society is disgusting (and this includes shit like fatspo). Honestly, saying that EDs are fatphobic because not wanting to be fat is fatphobic is like saying that being happy that you can walk on two legs without a cane/wheelchair is ableist.

• littlelightweight, Pandoras-Box, Abbey84 and 2 others like this

Zoe/Milly

atypical an (fuck knows what type)

female

5' 11"

cw 60kg 18.3

hw fuckin high lol

gw1 65kg 19.8

gw2 55kg 16.8

gw3 45kg, maybe, 13.7

GrjhVfd.png

#29 cancermoon

cancermoon

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 12:59 PM

how is it that the fatties are offended by a mental illness... they make everything abt them i stg.

im not fatphobic. only fatphobic to myself because i will never allow myself to be fat again. but i respect fat people except when theyre like fat activists because that is the dumbest shit ive ever heard. if ur fat ur unhealthy and if u think otherwise ur delusional and in denial. its all the fast food, processed meat and high fructose corn syrup people consume- makes me sick to even think about it.

i just think if fat people spent the time they do preaching fat acceptance in the gym they could actually not be fat.

• sailormoonlegs, littlelightweight, thittlelighs and 1 other like this

#30 drinkmytears

drinkmytears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 29 May 2021 - 01:16 PM

Recovery CAN be admitting to fatphobia but that's only if you're actually yk? fatphobic. So don't feel bad if it's not you. I feel like half of the people saying that are bringing up the fact that a lot of eds are rooted in fatphobia but NOT because of the mental illness itself. They're talking about when the actual societal problem is what leads someone to have an ed (ie getting bullied or something). The other half are people who can't comprehend and twist everyone's issues, making everyone a “bad guy.” Tiktok is full of kids tho and they don't really understand the full extent of what they're consuming sometimes. The app is literally for 12 year olds. But I mean, if you ARE fatphobic and then yeah you obviously can't recover fully without addressing your issues. Or else you wouldn’t even really be recovering.

┍━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━┑

ɴᴇxᴛ ɢᴡ → 𝟙𝟙𝟝 ʟʙs

┕━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━┙

#31 AshOfTheLilacs

AshOfTheLilacs

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 02:07 PM

yeah, there's a massive difference between 'I hate fat people' and 'I have an ED because of the treatment I received due to my weight'

Zoe/Milly

female

5' 11"

cw 60kg 18.3

hw fuckin high lol

gw1 65kg 19.8

gw2 55kg 16.8

gw3 45kg, maybe, 13.7

GrjhVfd.png

#32 littlelightweight

littlelightweight

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4454 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 May 2021 - 02:31 PM

So ridiculous! I was called “fatphobic” because I said I was afraid to gain weight.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: And kicked off a website called Beating Eating Disorders. The thing is, I was accused of hating fat people. This is not true! I don’t like or dislike people due to their weight. 

• thittlelighs and Sasha_Ascendant like this

#33 Fox_Grape

Fox_Grape

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationPit of Despair

Posted 29 May 2021 - 02:38 PM

They are the same people that call fatphobic whoever want to lose weight for healthy reasons bc then "hOw Do yOu tHiNk i fEeL wHEn yOu SaY tHat yOu dOnT WaNt tO bE LiKe mE"

Bruh.

Also please, for the love of god, can someone recognize that there other eating disorders that can make you fat. HAES out there acting like anorexia its the only ED that exist.
  • Abbey84 and jpi332 like this

giphy.gif

#34 snork

snork

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1986 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 03:48 PM

I don't think all ED sufferers are fat phobic, and fatphobia is not the root cause of an eating disorder HOWEVER fat phobia can definitely onset an ED.

for example, if you have a parent who is heavily against fat people, criticizes them in front of you, tells you not to be fat, controls your diet so you won't get fat, and treats fat people poorly in front of you during developmental years, you will have an increased chance of developing an ED AND you will have to unlearn these behaviors. Because your formative years are now laced with fatphobic ideas. And thus, just like a child raised in a bigoted household will be bigoted, a child raised in a fat phobic household will be fatphobic unless that intentionally break that chain of discrimination.

I also think fatphobia is RAMPANT in ED spaces. Things like discussing other overweight influences negatively, praising influencers on losing weight, or talking about how much they hate fat people when they say they're hungry. ED spaces are notorious for shunning fat people and judging them openly. Just consider reverse thinspo for a second. We all have internalized hatred of our bodies, and for a lot of us that can include a hatred of and fear of fatness. Or whatever we define as fatness. I don't think acknowledging and dismantling ones fat phobia will cure an eating disorder in any capacity, but I do think that it's important to take a hard look at how you feel about and treat fat people, to their face or not.

body positivity is not "let yourself become 300 stone and don't listen to doctors ever!!1!" It's "every human being is deserving of respect and dignity regardless of their size or food choices". And the reality is that overweight and fat people are not given the same respect and treatment as average and thin people. And that is incredibly prevalent in ED spaces, especially amoung the older crowd.

I'll get off my soapbox now >>"

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk
  • ☆PaisleySky☆, Ava Guinevere and amitoughenough like this

"𝗜 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗲𝗲𝗹 𝗺𝘆 𝗯𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗯𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀͵𝗯𝗮𝗯𝘆
𝗜 𝗮𝗺 𝗮 𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗱𝗿𝗮𝗺𝗮 𝗾𝘂𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗜 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘄 𝗺𝘆 𝗴𝘂𝘁𝘀 𝘂𝗽 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳⎯𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗺
𝗜𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘂𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗺𝘀
𝗜𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘂𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗺
𝗘𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗯𝗼𝘆 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗮 𝗯𝗼𝗱𝘆 𝘁𝗼 𝗱𝗶𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿
𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹 𝘄𝗵𝗼ʹ𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗿𝗶𝘃𝗮𝗹" 
 ( He / Him pronouns)

ED Playlist

snermk3

#35 snork

snork

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1986 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 03:57 PM

its all the fast food, processed meat and high fructose corn syrup people consume- makes me sick to even think about it.
i just think if fat people spent the time they do preaching fat acceptance in the gym they could actually not be fat.

For a lot of people, processed food is the only option. Low income people have a lot less options when it comes to feeding themselves and their families. When given 5 dollars, they can either chose to make a salad that will feed them MAYBE for one dinner OR 5 one dollar meals that may be processed but will ensure that no one is hungry. Sure some people can afford to eat "better", but a lot of fat people cannot.

As for high fructose- corn is a MAJOR subsidized crop in the US. It's almost impossible to avoid corn syrup or corn byproducts. Almost everything not fresh has corn or high fructose in it.

And for your last point about fat people going to the gym- what if they can't afford a gym membership? What if they're too busy working to work out? What of they're disabled and cannot work out or risk injuring themselves or exaughsting themselves beyond the point of being able to do daily tasks?

The fact of the matter is that fat people deserve respect, not to be called "fatties". Fat people want to be RESPECTED. That's all. They don't want everyone to be fat. And for a lot of fat people, especially in America, healthy living is not a choice. They can't afford it or don't have the time. Minimum wage is too low and living costs are too high for them to focus on reaching the ideal lifestyle- they're just trying to make it through the day.

There are more societal factors to weight than just "they're lazy".

• ☆PaisleySky☆, eatmore, StarvingLlama*-* and 2 others like this

"𝗜 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗲𝗲𝗹 𝗺𝘆 𝗯𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗯𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀͵𝗯𝗮𝗯𝘆
𝗜 𝗮𝗺 𝗮 𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗱𝗿𝗮𝗺𝗮 𝗾𝘂𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗜 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘄 𝗺𝘆 𝗴𝘂𝘁𝘀 𝘂𝗽 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳⎯𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗺
𝗜𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘂𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗺𝘀
𝗜𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝘂𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗺𝘆 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗺
𝗘𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗯𝗼𝘆 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗮 𝗯𝗼𝗱𝘆 𝘁𝗼 𝗱𝗶𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿
𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹 𝘄𝗵𝗼ʹ𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗿𝗶𝘃𝗮𝗹" 
 ( He / Him pronouns)

ED Playlist

snermk3

#36 clueless¿

clueless¿

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3481 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 29 May 2021 - 04:05 PM

For a lot of people, processed food is the only option. Low income people have a lot less options when it comes to feeding themselves and their families. When given 5 dollars, they can either chose to make a salad that will feed them MAYBE for one dinner OR 5 one dollar meals that may be processed but will ensure that no one is hungry. Sure some people can afford to eat "better", but a lot of fat people cannot.

As for high fructose- corn is a MAJOR subsidized crop in the US. It's almost impossible to avoid corn syrup or corn byproducts. Almost everything not fresh has corn or high fructose in it.

And for your last point about fat people going to the gym- what if they can't afford a gym membership? What if they're too busy working to work out? What of they're disabled and cannot work out or risk injuring themselves or exaughsting themselves beyond the point of being able to do daily tasks?

The fact of the matter is that fat people deserve respect, not to be called "fatties". Fat people want to be RESPECTED. That's all. They don't want everyone to be fat. And for a lot of fat people, especially in America, healthy living is not a choice. They can't afford it or don't have the time. Minimum wage is too low and living costs are too high for them to focus on reaching the ideal lifestyle- they're just trying to make it through the day.

this is everything i wanted to say but couldn’t be bothered to type out, so thank you. not everybody is privileged enough to be able to afford healthy produce as it’s often a lot more expensive than processed food
  • ☆PaisleySky☆, whatever95 and snork like this

#37 AshOfTheLilacs

AshOfTheLilacs

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 04:06 PM

how is it that the fatties are offended by a mental illness... they make everything abt them i stg.

im not fatphobic. only fatphobic to myself because i will never allow myself to be fat again. but i respect fat people except when theyre like fat activists because that is the dumbest shit ive ever heard. if ur fat ur unhealthy and if u think otherwise ur delusional and in denial. its all the fast food, processed meat and high fructose corn syrup people consume- makes me sick to even think about it.

tbh this kinda comes off as being a dick for no reason

• snork likes this

Zoe/Milly

female

5' 11"

cw 60kg 18.3

hw fuckin high lol

gw1 65kg 19.8

gw2 55kg 16.8

gw3 45kg, maybe, 13.7

GrjhVfd.png

#38 AshOfTheLilacs

AshOfTheLilacs

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 04:07 PM

tbh this kinda comes off as being a dick for no reason

like a lot of ppl with eds are fat or started fat as well. but you probably wouldn't congratulate us for having an ed because we're not fat anymore

• Abbey84, snork and James Buchanan Barnes like this

Zoe/Milly

female

5' 11"

cw 60kg 18.3

hw fuckin high lol

gw1 65kg 19.8

gw2 55kg 16.8

gw3 45kg, maybe, 13.7

GrjhVfd.png

#39 D1splayname333

D1splayname333

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 May 2021 - 04:16 PM

Fat activists feel the need to center themselves in everything. They don't understand that we can hate ourselves and not really think anything about them. They pretend they suffer from the same exact disease we do because they want their voices to be louder than ours.

I'm sorry, but too many fat acceptance people really despise people with EDs, instead of having sympathy for us. They pretend to care about mental health and then they treat us like monsters. I'm tired of it.

We're victims of the same hateful, thin obsessed culture they are. The difference is we're apparently garbage for not being able to handle it as well as they can.

Well at least it’s possible they’ll have the gravitational pull to make themselves the center of everything. 

:P

• Diet_Coke_Head, Abbey84 and jpi332 like this

5’8”

HW: 145

GW1: 125

GW2: 115

GW3: 110

CW: 105-106

GW4: 100

UGW: ?

#40 cancermoon

cancermoon

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 06:12 PM

ok honestly im not sure why ur on this website but were gonna ignore that lmao. people ate before processed foods. u can still eat fairly healthy without a ton of money. rice, beans, grilled chicken, legumes, a pound of fruit literally costs $3.94. all excuses if u want easy ur gonna get the outcome of being fat. not everyone is skinny because not everyone wants to go the extra mile. being aware of high fructose corn syrup and how it has brought on obesity is important. just dont buy processed foods its not very difficult i dont. planet fitness memberships are $10 a month and yes ik they deserve respect but they spread misinformation like "fat is healthy", "wanting to lose weight is fatphobic" and its honestly just delusional.

• thittlelighs, BoredAsHell, Abbey84 and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users