This is ridiculous - Page 3 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

This is ridiculous

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#41 StillUnwritten

StillUnwritten

Advanced Sage

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1403 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 01:52 PM

don’t you mean mannitol? the sweetener in sugar free gum

I stay away from that too. Erythritol is ok (what’s in truvia) bc it’s not metabolized but every other sugar alcohol is as bad as sugar
  • ugh27 and sickfaerie like this

#42 Foxii_Fighter

Foxii_Fighter

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2380 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:45 PM

I stay away from that too. Erythritol is ok (what’s in truvia) bc it’s not metabolized but every other sugar alcohol is as bad as sugar

in what way?

Because I've reviewed every non biased study I can find from 2017 forward and NONE provide conclusive evidence in a wide enough sample of humans to suggest that sugar and artificial sweeteners have the same insulin and blood sugar responses.

I have seen enough evidence to suggest that artificial sweeteners may have some impact on gut-biome and bacteria, so is that what you're referring to?

You need to be careful what you say. If you personally react to sugar and AS the same, say so - but blanket statements and guarantees are not safe....

Some of us cannot survive without carbohydrates - my thyroid for example doesnt produce enough hormones if I dont have carbs....but I'd not make a blanket statement (especially to a vulnerable population) saying that carbs are a cure-all...
  • firelord ozai, ugh27, Detective L and 2 others like this

Foxii_Fighter

HW: 226.3

LW: 108.7

RGW: 150.0

CW: 170.8

(Updated 4/22/2021)

177 - 176 - 175 - 174 - 173 - 172 - 171 - 170 - 169 - 168

167 - 166 - 165 - 164 - 163 - 162 - 161 - 160 - 159 - 158

157 - 156 - 155 - 154 - 153 - 152 - 151 - 150

Is it possible for a recovered anorexic to lose weight the healthy, right way?

Accountability / Journey

#43 Kaya Chan

Kaya Chan

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1275 posts
  • LocationFrance - Paris

Posted 30 May 2021 - 02:47 PM

Don't worry, I have been eating around 800kcl a week and gaining. Did you start working out ? Will you get period soon ? Sometimes this happens to me, then I lose weight. It's a plateau

• firelord ozai and ugh27 like this

#44 sickfaerie

sickfaerie

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2535 posts
  • Locationsleeping

Posted 30 May 2021 - 03:46 PM

thanks i’ll stay away from it

#45 Foxii_Fighter

Foxii_Fighter

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2380 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 30 May 2021 - 04:05 PM

Umm. I can't say for sure what is going on.

Those things look low in Protein, this can cause fluid retention. I have to have a hell of a lot of Protein or else my body will retain fluid big time. Like, kilos of it. So I'm at around 130-150g a day. But that's me and it's a result of being severely deficient in Protein for many many years. Maybe see your GP for a blood test to test your Protein levels. If this is the issue, at least you will know to switch up your intake for more high protein foods. Easier said than done I know. I really really know.

Also drink water. How much are you drinking? I'd you don't drink enough, fluid will stay in your cells and just keep increasing to a point.

I have no idea of the sodium in those foods but too little or too much can cause fluid retention.

Now if you have gained fat....well I just don't see how that's possible so for now I'll stick to it being fluid weight.

OP, I'm quoting this post because after taking some time to analyze, I definitely think you'd benefit from an increase in protein --- I understand you like your food choices, but they are not setting you up for any success, weight or health or anything.

I also agree with talking to your doctor to look at bloods for protein deficiencies, blood glucose, and a whole hormone panel. If you have access to a dexa scan or an RMR respiratory test, I'd suggest that too. Because of how reliant your diet is on carbs, I'd be curious what your insulin levels and blood glucose look like..... I'm kind of torn as to whether to make specific recommendations given what I'm seeing, but I'll give you a few ideas:

• Swap out the candy paper with some whole fruit - this way we can get you some vitamins, and fiber, and water.
  • Sub the smoothie melts and cappuccino for a protein shake to give yourself a hearty dose of protein
  • Cut the ice cream down to a single serving, and use the rest of those calories on some lean protein, complex carbs, and some veggies. You could very easily have some chicken, some rice, and some green beans or mushrooms as a full meal, and then have the ice cream for dessert. 

I normally don't do this, but I wanted to give you an example of what I would eat on a 1300 calorie day -- which should be a safe amount for most people, even with an ED, to high restrict on and still lose some weight. If you're only going to eat 1000 calories, obviously you can play with this, but I won't ever give suggestions for under 1200. 

Breakfast: Dave's Killer Bread, Egg Whites, Turkey Bacon (made into a sandwich) with some ketchup (230), Coffee and cream (20)

Lunch: Chicken breast with 1 box microwave cauliflower (260), fiber one brownie or yogurt (80)

Snack: Cottage Cheese with preserves (140), and 1-2 servings of fruit (100) 

Dinner: Mexican Meatloaf (special recipe made with ground chicken, black beans, corns, salsa, peppers, bread crumbs, egg whites, and seasoning) - (338 - for a slice the size of my face lol)

Dessert: Halo Top ice cream 2 servings (140)

Total: 1288

Hope that helps. 

• ugh27, Detective L, not_my_body and 2 others like this

Foxii_Fighter

HW: 226.3

LW: 108.7

RGW: 150.0

CW: 170.8

(Updated 4/22/2021)

177 - 176 - 175 - 174 - 173 - 172 - 171 - 170 - 169 - 168

167 - 166 - 165 - 164 - 163 - 162 - 161 - 160 - 159 - 158

157 - 156 - 155 - 154 - 153 - 152 - 151 - 150

Is it possible for a recovered anorexic to lose weight the healthy, right way?

Accountability / Journey

#46 Strawberryontop

Strawberryontop

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2935 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 May 2021 - 04:07 PM

i feel you on this. Could be water weight or food weight i go from 1-2 lbs if i eat and if i havent tmi gone to toliet can just build up and up. could also be like others said maybe your not drinking enough water either. try doing walking too it helps i find

• ugh27 likes this

4”11
85.9lbs (28-7-21 ) 😐
bmi 17.5 Poland 🇵🇱

pronouns : he him/they/them.

genderfluid

Artist , ask for my art ig.

Striving to be skinner

just my weight loss goal rewards 

https://www.myproana...rewards-thread/

if im not online anymore im prob died from one eating disorder or my alchollism

#47 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6780 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 May 2021 - 05:17 PM

I know some time back they told me to be careful with protein as with such a small mass it was too much
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they explain why? I know.i have more than most but that's because my body personally needs a hell of a lot to function and I wasn't meaning for you to have as much as I am. I'm at BMI 16-17 (on the border) so 130-150g is classed as too much but my doctor has confirmed for me that's what I need.

But anyway, just curious why they said that to you.
  • ugh27 likes this
"Now you see, the world is full of temptations. They are wrong things that seem right at the time" - Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.

High restricting is the way for me because slow and steady wins the race. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you end the day on a calorie deficit, you have won.

Height: 5 foot 7 / 171cms,
Highest Weight: 180 pounds / 82 kgs, (BMI 28.0)
Lowest Weight: 85 pounds / 39 kgs, (BMI 13.3)

ULTIMATE GOAL WEIGHT (again): 85 pounds / 39 kgs OR LOWER!!!

#48 ugh27

ugh27

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:14 PM

Did they explain why? I know.i have more than most but that's because my body personally needs a hell of a lot to function and I wasn't meaning for you to have as much as I am. I'm at BMI 16-17 (on the border) so 130-150g is classed as too much but my doctor has confirmed for me that's what I need.

It was coming up with my urine

#49 ugh27

ugh27

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:14 PM

It was coming up with my urine and kidney function

• not_my_body likes this

#50 ugh27

ugh27

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:15 PM

i feel you on this. Could be water weight or food weight i go from 1-2 lbs if i eat and if i havent tmi gone to toliet can just build up and up. could also be like others said maybe your not drinking enough water either. try doing walking too it helps i find

I walk 8-12 miles daily

#51 ugh27

ugh27

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:15 PM

I walk 8-12 miles daily

#52 ugh27

ugh27

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:16 PM

OP, I'm quoting this post because after taking some time to analyze, I definitely think you'd benefit from an increase in protein --- I understand you like your food choices, but they are not setting you up for any success, weight or health or anything.

I also agree with talking to your doctor to look at bloods for protein deficiencies, blood glucose, and a whole hormone panel. If you have access to a dexa scan or an RMR respiratory test, I'd suggest that too. Because of how reliant your diet is on carbs, I'd be curious what your insulin levels and blood glucose look like..... I'm kind of torn as to whether to make specific recommendations given what I'm seeing, but I'll give you a few ideas:

• Swap out the candy paper with some whole fruit - this way we can get you some vitamins, and fiber, and water.
  • Sub the smoothie melts and cappuccino for a protein shake to give yourself a hearty dose of protein
  • Cut the ice cream down to a single serving, and use the rest of those calories on some lean protein, complex carbs, and some veggies. You could very easily have some chicken, some rice, and some green beans or mushrooms as a full meal, and then have the ice cream for dessert.

I normally don't do this, but I wanted to give you an example of what I would eat on a 1300 calorie day -- which should be a safe amount for most people, even with an ED, to high restrict on and still lose some weight. If you're only going to eat 1000 calories, obviously you can play with this, but I won't ever give suggestions for under 1200.

Breakfast: Dave's Killer Bread, Egg Whites, Turkey Bacon (made into a sandwich) with some ketchup (230), Coffee and cream (20)
Lunch: Chicken breast with 1 box microwave cauliflower (260), fiber one brownie or yogurt (80)
Snack: Cottage Cheese with preserves (140), and 1-2 servings of fruit (100)
Dinner: Mexican Meatloaf (special recipe made with ground chicken, black beans, corns, salsa, peppers, bread crumbs, egg whites, and seasoning) - (338 - for a slice the size of my face lol)
Dessert: Halo Top ice cream 2 servings (140)

Total: 1288

Hope that helps.

This is helpful yes but unfortunately I don’t think I could stomach that and my mum kinda thinks I’m in recovery and doing well if she sees sweet treats. I love halo top and low calorie ice cream but she doesn’t allow

#53 ugh27

ugh27

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:16 PM

Don't worry, I have been eating around 800kcl a week and gaining. Did you start working out ? Will you get period soon ? Sometimes this happens to me, then I lose weight. It's a plateau

Like for a whole month??

#54 StillUnwritten

StillUnwritten

Advanced Sage

• Validating
  • 1403 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 08:09 PM

Mannitol and maltitol are both sugar free sweeteners.

https://fitjoyfoods....-is-bad-for-you

#55 rivversflowing

rivversflowing

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 06:05 AM

That's all true except for point 8 and not all of those factors affect everyone. For example, my mother can eat maltitol with little digestive discomfort but it makes me look 2 months pregnant. High glycemic index does not cause weight gain, that's what calories do. It can still be bad for you for other reasons, but it's not weight gain. 

Anyway, I was just correcting the other person as they thought you meant mannitol when maltitol is also a sugar alcohol. I don't know why you're quoting me with information I already know and never contradicted.

hydrate h*e

#56 Ababy

Ababy

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 May 2021 - 06:15 AM

How can I be having under 1000 and gaining. Previously wasn’t gaining on around 1200 now all this gain. This is really getting to me

Easy.  I know not everyone believes it's real but I've experienced it myself. Metabolic adaptation. The less you eat, the more your body holds onto what you do, even leading to weight gain on lower amounts.

• ugh27 likes this

LW: 26kg Lowest BMI: 9.8   HW: 44kg Highest BMI 16.6 

Current BMI, 11

#57 Spiceandsugar

Spiceandsugar

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 07:11 AM

Depends on your weight use a weight loss calculator
  • ugh27 likes this

Lw- 86lbs

Cw - 97lbs

Hw - 123lbs

5'5

#58 ugh27

ugh27

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 12:22 PM

Easy. I know not everyone believes it's real but I've experienced it myself. Metabolic adaptation. The less you eat, the more your body holds onto what you do, even leading to weight gain on lower amounts.

So what do u suggest. What REALLY worked for u

#59 ugh27

ugh27

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 12:23 PM

Depends on your weight use a weight loss calculator

But like I don’t think anyone should at this amount :(