heart problems? - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

heart problems?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 fairies

fairies

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5582 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:21 PM

It happened during the night, so I was asleep until it actually happened. But for month prior, I was having palpations. I didn't know what it was and just thought it was because of my anxiety. So I never told anyone.

I was down to BMI 14 and I was about 23 yrs old at the time. (I'm 36 now).

It felt like...imagine a huge butcher knife stabbed into your heart and dragged up and down. It was incredibly painful. I had trouble breathing because the pain was so intense. I also know that because I was on very strong medication at the time to help me sleep, that what I felt wasn't the full extent and that terrifies me because I can't imagine it having been worse.

It lasted what felt like a long time, then it must have eased up and that's when my medication over took the pain and I either fell asleep again or I passed out. I live alone so...yeah.

The next morning I woke up absolutely terrified that I was paralyzed because I remember what had happened but I didn't know at the time it was a heart attack. So it took me nearly an hour to even move a little in bed, like wiggling my fingers and just every where on my body. I wasn't paralyzed thank god but wow. I was very careful with even sitting up because I was so afraid that the pain in my chest would come back. I also was afraid that my chest would look bad like I could see what had cause the pain, but there was nothing. No signs to confirm anything had happened.

So it got into my head, once I found out that I seemed ok, that maybe it didn't happen but I was 50/50 on believing that.

My regular weekly doctor appointment was 2 days later. It was standard for me to get an EKG before each appointment and so when I got one done, it came back showing I'd had a heart attack.

My first actual thought was panic because I didn't want to go to hospital. LoL. I wasn't afraid I'd had a heart attack, I was actually surprised yeah, but all I was worried about was a forced admissions again. I spent 5 nights in the Cardiac ward and was pumped with fluids and a naso tube. It was my first time in that hospital so they let me discharge against medical advice instead of sending me to the eating disorders ward. Plus my mum flew down to stay with me.

Now, everytime I get palpations I need an EKG done because my heart is weaker than it should be but it's hanging in there. I still get minor chest pains which tell me that I'm playing Russian roulette with it happening again and need to be more careful.

If I was to have another heart attack, I doubt my body would survive it. Some people, as you know, don't survive the first so please don't have it happen to you. You don't want a weak heart.

All heart related issues with an eating disorder are serious. No matter your size.

Dam I just wrote you a book LoL.

If you have more questions, I don't mind answering.

I’m glad you’re still here.
cbmi: 15.3

new accountability

#22 ForeverDieting

ForeverDieting

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2507 posts
  • LocationA gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:39 PM

Yeah please see your doctor. I ignored my heart, just brushed it off.
Then I had a heart attack.
Please be careful.

As someone who's had several heart episodes in the past, I understand how painful and how distressing they can be. I'm sorry you've had to suffer from your ED so long, but thank the lord you made it.
Stay strong girl
  • Ziola likes this

#23 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5230 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:56 PM

Take care of you.... Really... i messed up my heart from over dosing on ephedra when i was a teen ugh..i know i sound like a hypocrite, yet really be as good to you as possible

Thank you. My heart is also weaker because I use to use Ipecac syrup as a teen.

I'm sorry your heart isnt strong either.
"Now you see, the world is full of temptations. They are wrong things that seem right at the time" - Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.

High restricting is the way for me because slow and steady wins the race. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you end the day on a calorie deficit, you have won.

Height: 5 foot 7 / 171cms,
Highest Weight: 180 pounds / 82 kgs, (BMI 28.0)
Lowest Weight: 85 pounds / 39 kgs, (BMI 13.3)

ULTIMATE GOAL WEIGHT (again): 85 pounds / 39 kgs OR LOWER!!!

#24 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5230 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:57 PM

wow this is shocking..sometimes i forget how serious messing with your heart is especially at a young age..
i don’t know you, but i really hope the best for you. you’re not even half way through your life, there’s still time to recover. stay safe :(

Thank you hun.

Take care of you ok? I know it's not easy but please do.
"Now you see, the world is full of temptations. They are wrong things that seem right at the time" - Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.

High restricting is the way for me because slow and steady wins the race. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you end the day on a calorie deficit, you have won.

#25 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5230 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:58 PM

I’m glad you’re still here.

Thank you. Seriously, this gave me goosebumps to read because it ment so much ♥️
  • fairies likes this

#26 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5230 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:02 PM

As someone who's had several heart episodes in the past, I understand how painful and how distressing they can be. I'm sorry you've had to suffer from your ED so long, but thank the lord you made it.
Stay strong girl

Thank you so much.

I'm so sorry you have had this trouble with your heart. It's really hard to explain just how painful it is to people.

I really hope you never have anything like it happen again.
  • ForeverDieting likes this

#27 FallingAngel98

FallingAngel98

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1150 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:20 PM

Like others have said, this is serious. I'd tell my parents exactly what you told us, if you're not comfortable telling them about the ED then just tell them the heart stuff. But when the body actually gives you a warning, it's time to see a doctor. Like parrot said, most of the time it just stops without giving you a chance. You've been given a chance - please use it.

This

Height: 5'1" female

SW: 152 lbs
UGW: 94 lbs

bi19m4.png?t=1&IHAEioBS

Please someone remind me to change this every so often. <3 updated 06/11/21

#28 Ziola

Ziola

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1637 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:52 PM

As someone else who also had heart problems, see a doctor as soon as possible.

I hope everything turns out ok and you’re alright. Be safe

2e13b692f148c54a57bdd4cc58937f677492d7d7

* UGW-100 *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users