Opinions On Trigger Warnings? - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Opinions On Trigger Warnings?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 mn23

mn23

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:33 PM

definitely not everything. it shouldn’t be a force thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah not everything, like now u see tw food which is overkill. id get it if it was tw restriction or tw numbers, but just for "normal eating"?
i dont think people should be forced, but if a triggering thing is the focus of the content, its common decency of the creator to include one

#22 tutifruitibooti

tutifruitibooti

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:46 PM

It depends on the context for me. 

Is the triggering content appearing in a place one would not normally expect to see that content? If so then I think a TW is valid.

If it's being posted in a place where the risk of a specific trigger is to be expected and is likely, then I think it's up to the individual to avoid that content if they want to.

For example, I wouldn't expect TWs about anorexia or numbers anywhere on this site. However, if someone is sharing pics with visible fresh SH in the "guess my BMI" thread I hope they would warn. If that person posted the same photo in a thread about SH I wouldn't expect a warning as I should avoid such a thread if I thought it was triggering. 

• dandan, Sweet~Revenge, fairies and 1 other like this

Moving to MPA2 and EDC under the same profile names!!

tumblr_mg295gDqJE1s2n5k4o1_500.gif

145 ---  121 120 119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99

#23 Sweet~Revenge

Sweet~Revenge

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8538 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:58 PM

It depends on the context for me.
Is the triggering content appearing in a place one would not normally expect to see that content? If so then I think a TW is valid.
If it's being posted in a place where the risk of a specific trigger is to be expected and is likely, then I think it's up to the individual to avoid that content if they want to.

For example, I wouldn't expect TWs about anorexia or numbers anywhere on this site. However, if someone is sharing pics with visible fresh SH in the "guess my BMI" thread I hope they would warn. If that person posted the same photo in a thread about SH I wouldn't expect a warning as I should avoid such a thread if I thought it was triggering.

my feelings exactly

• tutifruitibooti likes this

#24 kitkat27

kitkat27

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5133 posts
  • LocationLothlórien

Posted 09 June 2021 - 06:45 PM

Most people (myself included) just ignore TWs, so they seem kinda pointless. And if the person saying/showing/doing the triggering thing really wanted to protect their readers/viewers/listeners, they ought to just not include the triggering content in the first place.
  • inevitablestarvation likes this
Spoiler

#25 SecretsOfNeptune

SecretsOfNeptune

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1231 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:43 PM

This post reminded me of something in a book I read..

I feel like if people are coming onto a site like MPA. They should probably already be prepared to be triggered. If they can not handle it then maybe a site such as this one is not the right one for them... 56ddf159d2aeb4c4497045b56b30cf16.jpg85bd6b539905f8a9cb2b5e16a40efd33.jpg
  • dylanisnolongerdyingsadly likes this
SecretsOfNeptune

160 159 158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150 149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 133 132 131 130 129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ni64q2a6u5mlpf0zs9<p>

#26 dandan

dandan

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:47 PM

I agree with you for the most part. When it comes to this website specifically, I think trigger warnings are pretty useless. Like? Hello? We are on a forum for EDs, so of course you're gonna read some fucked up shit sometimes. People will come here and complain about being triggered by certain threads, but ultimately each individual is responsible for their own mental well-being. If you have to write your posts in such a way that absolutely won't offend anyone, then you're not truly able to express yourself and there's no point to this site. Of course, you shouldn't purposefully go out of your way to be a total dick or throw others under the bus, but writing from the standpoint of a mentally ill person isn't always gonna sound pretty and comforting, you know?

In terms of stuff like videos or movies/shows, I think trigger warnings can be useful. Sometimes you might think you're reading something totally wholesome and fine, but then a sensitive subject might come up. Of course, there's definitely times where it's overkill, but tagging general things like explicit ED talk never hurt anyone. Tagging food though? Food's everywhere. If you can't even look at it, then what are you gonna do? Never go outside? Never use the internet? Stare at a wall in your room all day? I think I'm sort of harsh in that line of thinking, but tagging stuff like that almost seems enabling to me, like creating optimal conditions for someone to feel safe and comfortable in their eating disorder habits when it really shouldn't be like that in the first place.

I guess in the end it's all about balance. We shouldn't have to go around coddling everyone and watching what we say to such a degree where it's impossible to even speak, but we also have a responsibility to respect other people's feelings and apologize when we may have said something shitty without realizing.

Lol sorry, I don't know where I was going with all of this.
  • jpi332 and inevitablestarvation like this

#27 jpi332

jpi332

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1139 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:26 AM

I feel like if it’s blatant, that’s something else. Like one girl posted vids on tiktok of mushed up food as thinspo saying stuff like “are you sure you want to but this shit in your body”? Some stuff is just kinda gross and some people don’t want to see it, probably even people without EDs. And even if those people seek out triggers, they may not be searching them out right then.

If it’s just someone slim existing in their body as it is, that’s silly to add a trigger warning.

• inevitablestarvation, ANAtomist and PillPrincess like this

"Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you,

nice to know somebody loves me"

#28 ANAtomist

ANAtomist

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2997 posts
  • LocationIn a mortuary next to an autopsy table OR climbing beyond octaves written by Rachmaninov and Paganini OR cracking the Da Vinci code

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:28 AM

I feel like if it’s blatant, that’s something else. Like one girl posted vids on tiktok of mushed up food as thinspo saying stuff like “are you sure you want to but this shit in your body”? Some stuff is just kinda gross and some people don’t want to see it, probably even people without EDs. And even if those people seek out triggers, they may not be searching them out right then.

If it’s just someone slim existing in their body as it is, that’s silly to add a trigger warning.

yes I agree

and OMG really? videos of these sorts actually exist? thats...very weird on so many levels... why do tiktok allow theses kinds of contents

[Updated: June, 2021] 168cm | 37kg | BMI = 13.1

PLEASE!! THIS IS MY PERSONAL PLEA: DON’T SAY THINGS LIKE “if your BMI is true you need to be hospitalised” or “if your signature is still accurate...” because A. yes? It’s still accurate? It says updated on JUNE 2021, which is like...literally what today is B. why would you think it’s not true? Why do I need to lie on an anonymous site? It’s exactly because I can’t talk about my ED IRL so I have to go online... I’m already struggling & hurting so much, just like how you are too. Imagine you having no support whatsoever, go online to find an outlet, only being questioned for your credibility about your stats and posts, how would you feel? C. yes it might seem low but my highest ever BMI was around 17, I’m premature and have multiple medical conditions that made me weight less/can’t eat much even prior my ED. So yea, 13 is not that bad compare to someone who got here from a much higher HW.

EDC: ANAtomist Da Vinci | Pancakes: ANAtomist van Beethoven

~ AN - r ~

#29 Bloomyyy

Bloomyyy

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:54 AM

I agree with the poster talking about trigger warnings for food? When I first encountered tiktok with tw:food i was confused and expecting some savage looking food. I dont know how I feel about tw for using knifes etc in videos. I feel like you will see people use knives in everyday life so trigger warning it online seems unrequired.

TW for visible self harm scars, discussion about mental an d physical health ( and taking about abuse etc ), true crime should imo be TW. Not because they shouldnt be discussed but people should be able to decide whether they want to engage with the content or not at the time theyre seeing it. 

I see many videos w over the top TW such as food when its not necessary but then i will see videos of people literally commiting murder and that is somehow not TW? I dont know where the logic is. 

Bodychecking accusations are getting out of hand on apps like tiktok though. A person whos very slim ( possible ed ) isnt always bodychecking as soon as they show an outfit. As soon as someone is deemed too thin or too big people are like wolves.

It makes me sad because the reality is people with mental health issues exist and should also be allowed a platform, as long as its not them blatantly encouraging others to harm themself by posting bodychecks, what i eat etc. I think online personas can help people put their time into something that helps distract them from their struggles, whatever those may be. 

168cm 

#30 CoffeeYeah

CoffeeYeah

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:24 AM

Personally i have always said that the world owes you nothing and neither do other people, i know that sounds harsh, but if you actually think about it, there are what like 7 billion people on earth, you cant control what all of them post and dont post. 

I agree on putting a disclaimer on violent/graphic content, but as far as eating disorders go, thats on me and no one else. you will never be able to go out in this world and not see something that will trigger your ED. you could go to the shop and see a supper skinny girl and it would trigger you, she cant wear a trigger warning, so the thousand things that dont have trigger warnings overrule the few videos that do. 

I also understand people being in recovery and actually actively trying to avoid triggering themselves but at the end of the day you do yourself more harm by trying to be over protective and sensitive because you cant shield yourself from everything . You see skinny people, dietary/low cal foods everywhere you go, how are you going to skip seeing that.  

Also some people with EDs are creating a toxic space on the internet due to insisting on trigger warnings on EVERYTHING because people literally cant post a picture of themselves in a bikini without someone going on about how they are trying to recover from a ED and the content is triggering to them. EDs have too much of a broad spectrum to use trigger warnings on because not everything that includes clothes, food, diets, exercise,skinny, over weight people, gaining weight, losing weight, have to do with eating disorders but eating disorders have everything to do with those topics. so we will always find something to relate to or trigger ourselves with, and thats on us, not these other people just living their lives. 

• inevitablestarvation, CrisisMgt, EternalFurtive and 1 other like this

#31 CoffeeYeah

CoffeeYeah

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 01:37 AM

Personally i have always said that the world owes you nothing and neither do other people, i know that sounds harsh, but if you actually think about it, there are what like 7 billion people on earth, you cant control what all of them post and dont post. 

I agree on putting a disclaimer on violent/graphic content, but as far as eating disorders go, thats on me and no one else. you will never be able to go out in this world and not see something that will trigger your ED. you could go to the shop and see a supper skinny girl and it would trigger you, she cant wear a trigger warning, so the thousand things that dont have trigger warnings overrule the few videos that do. 

I also understand people being in recovery and actually actively trying to avoid triggering themselves but at the end of the day you do yourself more harm by trying to be over protective and sensitive because you cant shield yourself from everything . You see skinny people, dietary/low cal foods everywhere you go, how are you going to skip seeing that.  

Also some people with EDs are creating a toxic space on the internet due to insisting on trigger warnings on EVERYTHING because people literally cant post a picture of themselves in a bikini without someone going on about how they are trying to recover from a ED and the content is triggering to them. EDs have too much of a broad spectrum to use trigger warnings on because not everything that includes clothes, food, diets, exercise,skinny, over weight people, gaining weight, losing weight, have to do with eating disorders but eating disorders have everything to do with those topics. so we will always find something to relate to or trigger ourselves with, and thats on us, not these other people just living their lives. 

Also no one that was able to read this topic and reply to it should be people agreeing to wanting ED trigger warnings because  you are quite literally on a eating disorder forum, if you didnt want to trigger yourself, then you wouldnt be on this group. 

#32 EternalFurtive

EternalFurtive

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:03 AM

Might be an unpopular opinion but unless its something like a graphic rape scene in a movie which you should be made aware of, trigger warnings are most of the time a bit much

So for example i find self harm pretty triggering, i find it difficult to not SH and i do my best to avoid seeing it but you can't stop seeing it alltogether. Like you see people with SH when you're out and about, I've seen two people with fresh SH cuts over the past week, and its hard but you kinda have to accept that you're going to see triggering things at some point and you have to make the effort to work past it so it doesnt affect you as much.

Like im still affected by seeing SH but its up to me to deal with that, not for other people to go out of their way to censor themselves.

and food TW? what are you going to do, never go outside? food is everywhere? so is diet talk. Like i dont want to be blunt but theres a time when you have to toughen up a little

• dylanisnolongerdyingsadly, inevitablestarvation, CrisisMgt and 1 other like this

9c7b7555db6c03d50ab1e1d9501a608e.gif

#33 Diet_Coke_Head

Diet_Coke_Head

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1249 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:57 AM

They're stupid.

#34 dylanisnolongerdyingsadly

dylanisnolongerdyingsadly

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:15 AM

Might be an unpopular opinion but unless its something like a graphic rape scene in a movie which you should be made aware of, trigger warnings are most of the time a bit much
So for example i find self harm pretty triggering, i find it difficult to not SH and i do my best to avoid seeing it but you can't stop seeing it alltogether. Like you see people with SH when you're out and about, I've seen two people with fresh SH cuts over the past week, and its hard but you kinda have to accept that you're going to see triggering things at some point and you have to make the effort to work past it so it doesnt affect you as much.
Like im still affected by seeing SH but its up to me to deal with that, not for other people to go out of their way to censor themselves.
and food TW? what are you going to do, never go outside? food is everywhere? so is diet talk. Like i dont want to be blunt but theres a time when you have to toughen up a little

Yeah i agree, the self harm thing. It’s something that bothers me when people say you need a trigger warning if you have visible scars, or even worse, the rare occassion that people irl tell me to cover my arms bc i’m “attention seeking” or “trying to trigger others”. i was told that when i was 13 before during class and it hurt.
i can’t help how my wrists and legs are because it was in the past, the scars are part of my body, no i will not put a warning on it ._.
  • EternalFurtive likes this
I have been in recovery for a while. I am mostly recovered - I can handle most things but please just be kind ^^
I still have some bad habits, like bingeing and restricting, but I am actively trying to be better.
I am a doll collector and I love anime like sugar sugar rune and kodomo no jikan !!!
I don’t come on here often, but sometimes I come back to vent or read about how others have been.
Click below for some anime gifs !!

Spoiler

773427w34lc9wivu.gif

#35 bonybanana

bonybanana

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationin ur mum

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:28 AM

Trigger warnings are important if they briefly mention something potentially triggering

i only dislike them when i think people shouldn’t post them AT ALL if they know it’s actively going to trigger a bunch of people and when it won’t make any positive impact. public restrictive body checks and FDOE especially. it’s different on MPA of course, but anyone could see those videos, even little children, so i don’t think dangerous behaviours should be posted publicly like that at all

jb4rp10.png

#36 𝖉𝖊𝖇𝖆𝖘𝖊𝖗

𝖉𝖊𝖇𝖆𝖘𝖊𝖗

chaotic neutral

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15108 posts
  • Locationfight club

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:04 AM

they're for weaklings

• CrisisMgt likes this

5'4"    ★     hw 155 (bmi 26.6)    ★    lw 84 (bmi 14.4)    ★    gw 70 (bmi 12.0)

tumblr_ngr5bnG4AP1taw7zdo1_500.gif

ENTP-T    ★    7w8 or 8w7    ★    diagnosed AN-bp in 2017    ★    ED since 2015

𝖒𝖔𝖗𝖊 𝖌𝖎𝖋𝖘 𝖎𝖓 𝖘𝖕𝖔𝖎𝖑𝖊𝖗

<p>

#37 Iana

Iana

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:20 PM

I like tw, then I can decide if I want to read or not.
Also like that there's a "food picture" in the headline, because I can't stand to see food.
  • VV0lpert1nger likes this
Height 5.5

cw: 99 (45kg)
gw: 92 (42kg)
Ugw:88 (40kg)

#38 fairies

fairies

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5865 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:02 PM

I think there’s a difference between showing fresh self harm and self harm scars though.

#39 ForeverDieting

ForeverDieting

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3067 posts
  • LocationA gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:29 PM

Unless the title specifies that it's sh related, most people will click a tw thread in a heartbeat.
MPA lives for the drama

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Accountability: https://www.myproana...accountability/
Shortcut to my rants: https://www.myproana...-bullshit-dump/

Binge free since 06/16/2021
Purge free since 06/22/2021

#40 Choco_Bitch_612

Choco_Bitch_612

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 9226 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:00 PM

I don’t really see why people are so anti-trigger warning. Adding one is a lot less inconvenient for us than the consequences might be for a vulnerable person caught off guard by triggering content. And yes, of course coping mechanisms are important - everyone is bound to encounter triggering content in the real world and ideally people should be working toward distress tolerance and exposure therapy. However, that doesn’t happen overnight. You don’t teach someone to swim by tossing them into deep water without a life jacket, ya know? We have no idea where someone might be at psychologically. Coping mechanisms need to be learned and practiced in a safe, stable environment before they can be used effectively in surprise situations, and sometimes a TW/CW doesn’t serve as an indication that the content should be avoided, but rather prepare someone that they will need to practice their coping mechanism. It’s easier to just put a damn TW on something sensitive than expect everyone in a fragile place to “toughen up”, and while some find it a minor annoyance, it isn’t worth the harm that might come to others.
I don’t see it as coddling - I see it as harm reduction and empathy. Yeah, there are SOME cases where people take it to an irrational level, sure. For example when I was in treatment there was a girl in my group who had recently gone through a bad breakup. She saw that I had pictures of my boyfriend (now husband) and I hung up, and requested that I take them down and not talk about him in group therapy conversations because it reminded her of her relationship with her ex. This seemed unreasonable to me because we literally lived together, he was my main source of support and asking me not to talk about my most significant interpersonal relationship could be detrimental to MY healing. You wouldn’t expect a teenager to avoid all mentions of their parents because someone else had abusive ones - you would just ask them to be mindful about future mentions of abuse. I took the pictures down because I felt bad that they upset her but told her that I HAD to talk about him occasionally in group, although I agreed to warn her in advance. I think situations like this are rare though - and honestly just giving her a heads up wasn’t a big deal to me. When it comes to TW or CW around discussions of numbers, self harm, assault etc on social media and recovery spaces, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to expect and just the considerate thing to do.

well said! <3

tumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.gif                                                                                                        

H: 5'7.5 LW: 150 (2014) SW: 158 (2014)  HW: 216 (Dec. 2019..that's embarrassing) CW: 188.8

nU14Dpl.png                            

tenor.gif

I wouldn't say I'm mentally ill, but I wouldn't say I'm mentally well, either

Tumblrhttps://pastxlblues.tumblr.com/

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/ednos.bitch/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ednospoison 

OMAD for June (Challenge)

Gw 1: 190 lbs (86 kg) BMI - 29.3

Gw 2: 180 lbs (82 kg) BMI - 27.8

Gw 3: 170 lbs (77 kg) BMI - 26.2

Gw 4: 160 lbs (73 kg) BMI - 24.7

Gw 5: 150 lbs (68 kg) BMI - 23.1

Gw 6: 140 lbs (64 kg) BMI - 21.6

Gw 7: 130 lbs (59 kg) BMI - 20.1

Gw 8: 120 lbs (54 kg) BMI - 18.5

UGW: 114 lbs(51 kg) BMI - 17.6 

MAINTAIN BETWEEN 107-114

tumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.gif 

Effy & Pandora 

Spoiler

Anime stuff

Spoiler

Korra stuff

Spoiler

Weight loss stuff

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users