Opinions On Trigger Warnings? - Page 3 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Opinions On Trigger Warnings?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 2BeThinEnough

2BeThinEnough

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3637 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:30 PM

I could go both ways
I do however agree on trigger warnings on self harm and suicidal ideation do to some persons inability to mentally handle that. We all live so far and when someone leaves a post like that and you read it and you have no way of doing anything to stop that person. Well that's now something the reader has to carry especially if the person writing was serious or anything really did happen. Also not everyone signing up for the site understands any potential connections to self harm and I don't think that's something every member can handle...or maybe just plain doesn't want to see hate rather than love written on her arms (yes I am fully aware of the to write love on her arms movement that was phrased purposefully)
I also feel like and this rarely happens but occasionally a photo will go up and the person was definitely not fully thoughtful in what they were posting ....It was several years back and I have no recollection of who it came from nor does it matter it was taken down quite quickly but I was on one night and someone had video taped themselves hands free purging (a very new person I will add) and attempted to explain a potential how to. It was up maybe 5 minutes. It was not in a specifically separate thread it was in a thread on I believe similar to how do you keep your appetite low type of thread...could be off on last bit. Anyways point of that story is often we see posts land and not totally relate to the original title so if you think your information could be a surprise contribution to the original topic I think a TW is a nice thing to add. I don't however think we need to attack those missing TW s people can scroll past. Many of us are as said above desensitized

Branching out a little personally I appreciate the use of a TW for the sole purpose of say a meme with flashing/strobe lights and I wish more people new to put a warning on those images.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

#42 Ang3lina

Ang3lina

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:12 PM

Eh, I have constant panic attacks and triggers are everywhere. I would love a day where I could go without being triggered but a trigger warning has never helped me. The warning itself is usually enough for me. Maybe I'm just stoopid, but yeah the very mention is enough to set me off and because of that I refuse to be uppity about it - It's too big an ask haha.

height: 159cm

HW: 52kg 

LW: 38kg (like 5 years ago uuugh)

SW: 52kg

CW: 44.3kg

GW: 44kg

GW2: 40kg

UGW: 38kg

Accountability

#43 CrisisMgt

CrisisMgt

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:12 PM

Like some others, I don't have a problem with TWs for extreme things like rape/gore.

Honestly though, people used to live without TWs. They got triggered, and then learned the skill of getting over it. Sometimes that meant developing a thicker skin, confronting people or learning to set boundaries. Or, you could be on the other end of the stick and learn that there were consequences for acting like an insensitive jerk, and that you probably aren't going to have many friends it you didn't learn to take others into account.

Those lessons will help you cope in life, if you are willing to learn them.
  • EternalFurtive and PillPrincess like this

#44 EternalFurtive

EternalFurtive

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:21 AM

Yeah i agree, the self harm thing. It’s something that bothers me when people say you need a trigger warning if you have visible scars, or even worse, the rare occassion that people irl tell me to cover my arms bc i’m “attention seeking” or “trying to trigger others”. i was told that when i was 13 before during class and it hurt.
i can’t help how my wrists and legs are because it was in the past, the scars are part of my body, no i will not put a warning on it ._.

yeah same, ive been told my SH was attention seeking before as a teen, idk why people feel they need to weigh in when they have nothing of value to say

9c7b7555db6c03d50ab1e1d9501a608e.gif

#45 EternalFurtive

EternalFurtive

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:25 AM

I think there’s a difference between showing fresh self harm and self harm scars though.

maybe online but irl? im past the point of hiding fresh SH from randos

9c7b7555db6c03d50ab1e1d9501a608e.gif

#46 sazzle

sazzle

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationThe Phantom's lair

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:57 AM

Yeah it's a good convo to have especially on sites like this.

I think Trigger Warnings were constructed (rightly so) to warn people in situations where they are not necessarily expecting to hear anything triggering (i.e. in a work training scenario). However, I'd argue that nothing should be shown that could be triggering in the first place. On this site, that sort of goes out of the window because - well it's been said, we know this place is/can be triggering - that's also sort of the point.

So yes TWs are needed but in certain contexts with more than just the 2 letters but a whole host of surrounding support mechanisms to enable the listeners to engage with it in a way that they are NOT triggered. Surely that's the whole point? If Trigger Warnings don't explain what kind of trigger it is - i.e. Self-harm, suicide, etc, then it defeats the object surely, because otherwise it's assumed that all these types of topics are triggering to everyone. 

I think it's unhelpful when TW is whacked in front of anything that might be remotely "offputting" to someone else. I see TW in front of titles about periods or menstrual cycles for example on here (and in LOTS of other organisations and institutions) and I think that's such a shame that a) the person, usually a cisgender woman, may think that her topic is too sensitive for others and therefore warrants a TW - which is absolutely not the case, B) that society associates women's blood with trauma. 

FYI When I talk about food, I am never talking about animals  :wub: 
Untitled

#47 Apteryx

Apteryx

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:29 AM

Handling your own triggers is part of the healing process. I think micromanaging someone else's trigger and telling them that "Nah not gonna warn you before I talk about XYZ" is kinda shitty though, same for dismissing a trigger as not valid unless they expose their trauma and validate it to you. Is it weird to have to warn a new guest that you have a cat? Sure thing. Doesn't give you the right to not tell them if they ask you outright because "it's just a cat". In a lot of ways, it's like an allergy. The person consuming it is responsible for checking the ingredient list (ex- sites like doesthedogdie.com) if it's a commercial product, but at a restaurant, if someone says they're allergic to aspartame and orders a regular coke, we all agree it's a dick move to serve them diet cola despite that?

Posting online where your audience is infinitely broader, the general, large trigger warnings should be included if the content warrants it, and you shouldn't be forced to include every possible warning on the off chance someone will come across it. If you're in a more direct conversation with someone and they ask for a little forewarning before you start discussing something, that's just basic decency. It comes down to boundaries, doesn't it? Even if the trigger seems 'minor' to you, is it really so hard to respect a boundary someone has set? If you can't- then you both need to go your separate ways and that's not a negative reflection on you or them. 

"Hey, don't touch my clothes."

"It's just clothes and you can't even feel it, people will brush up against you in the real world all the time. Get over it and deal it with yourself, grow thicker skin."

vs

"Sure, I really don't need to touch them, but if I do have to, I'll let you know beforehand."

Also: even if you're somewhere where you can expect to be triggered by XYZ, it's not like you'd be expecting ABC. Triggering someone's ED is different than triggering a flashback to another trauma, you know? 

• VV0lpert1nger and sazzle like this

kiwi.png

#48 sazzle

sazzle

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:37 AM

"It's just clothes and you can't even feel it, people will brush up against you in the real world all the time. Get over it and deal it with yourself, grow thicker skin."

vs

"Sure, I really don't need to touch them, but if I do have to, I'll let you know beforehand."

I really love this example you've got here! It makes me realise how often the people in my life, or other people I hear about, respond with the former! 

When an alternative response is presented like this one above, it makes so obvious the difference between respectfulness and politeness vs downright rudeness! AND how eaaaasy it is to just respond respectfully! 

• Apteryx likes this
Untitled

#49 fairies

fairies

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5871 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:46 AM

maybe online but irl? im past the point of hiding fresh SH from randos

Yeah, I don’t agree. It’s a lot more triggering whereas healed closed up scars (not saying they need to be fully healed, but no one needs to be walking around with massive open cuts either).

#50 fairies

fairies

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5871 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:53 AM

Yeah, people need to learn to deal with their triggers, but it’s not like that happens instantly and if taking a second to add a trigger warning can stop someone from being really distressed or potentially harming themselves when they’re not in a better place with that if they can even get to it. Also yeah maybe certain things aren’t as avoidable in the real world, but they’re also not commonplace and people want to curate a safe space for themselves.
  • Apteryx and VV0lpert1nger like this

#51 Hardlicore

Hardlicore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:03 AM

Honestly, anything can be triggering - like everyone is their own person and has their own background so anything could be a trigger. I think that anything that isn't healthy can certainly use the tw label or viewer discretion in fairness including obese people and underweight people :ph34r:

• VV0lpert1nger likes this

Height: 5'5

CW: 123

Recovered anorexic b/p subtype

#52 RumHam

RumHam

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3564 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:51 AM

I agree with OP. As someone with an ED whose also a surviver of pretty horrific abuse, my heart will always go out to anyone who’s living in that dark place that I know so well. But I think it’s possible (and honestly helpful) to act/speak with kindness and consideration without trigger warning the living shit out of everything.

I remember living in panic attack land, curled up in a fetal position, feeling like every possible trigger I saw was aimed straight at me. Perfectly harmless shit would send me into a tail spin of not eating for days and sitting awake crying at night, feeling terrified about the prospect of navigating another several decades on this planet. The ONLY thing that saved me was the normalcy of spending time with my friends out in society, where I was exposed to triggers and was gradually forced to learn how to cope a bit. I eventually became so desensitized to my former triggers that I can now move on pretty easily with minimal effort.

The real world and all its triggers are going no where. Learning how to deal with that while surrounding myself with supportive and reasonable people was the best thing I’ve been able to do for my mental health. And my life is so much easier and more enjoyable now, even if there’s still some bullshit.
  • inevitablestarvation and CrisisMgt like this
Height - 5'1 HW - 108 CW 89 LW - 80 UGW-79

#53 sazzle

sazzle

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:46 AM

I think maybe the spoiler function could be utilised more on this site. It's a great tool to hide certain content and I really appreciate it when users do this properly.

I feel it's a bit redundant if the disclaimer of a TW is used and then the content is visible right underneath - eyes can skim and see words/phrases subconsciously and that might be more damaging. I don't think it's fair to deem that by warning someone the content might be triggering and then saying it anyway is a good example of being inclusive and sensitive. It's about giving as much control and power to the person you feel may be triggered - so hiding the content allows the user to click if they wish. 

Just my thoughts - not having a go :) 

Untitled

#54 visualkeithinspo

visualkeithinspo

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHell. You should stop by and visit sometime.

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:54 AM

I don't care either way but it's cringe to have trigger warnings on stupid stuff like food, and super specific trigger warnings.

Triger warnings are needed on things like graphic descriptions of suicide, abuse, assault, etc. It would prevent a lot of people from spiraling into deeper mental health issues.

On MPA, for food related stuff, or talking about purging, or overeating, or restriction, it just makes me cringe. This is a triggering forum. It's your responsibility to click off if something bothers you. Unless it's a non ED related triggering thing, of course. What I'm talking about is stuff like, "TW: Food" or shit like that. I don't get why people put things like  "TW: Purging" in the BULIMIA forum! Of course you guys purge!

But in the rant room, I think it is needed sometimes. Like if you are gonna be giving detailed descriptions of your self harm, that's fine, but putting a TW on it for self harm would be helpful.

Outside of MPA, I think it can be super helpful sometimes, but it is often overused and made a complete mockery of. 

• inevitablestarvation and sazzle like this

" in this world where  feelings                                                                                                           height:  5'2 or 5'3

gw: 38.5 kg / 85 lbs                                                  hw: 43 kg / 95  lbs                                yes, i know my signature

are only  a hinderance                ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾                             ugw: 34 kg / 75 lbs                                                      lw: 39.4 kg / 87 lbs                                                 is cringe

and it's too long ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

♡  so just scroll past

shoot me and kill me."                                  (΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)                                                                                                                                                                             ♡  and have a nice day                                                          

♡ 𝖛𝖎𝖘𝖚𝖆𝖑 𝖐𝖊𝖎, 𝖉𝖗𝖆𝖜𝖎𝖓𝖌, 𝖉𝖊𝖆𝖙𝖍 𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖆𝖑 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖎𝖒𝖊 ♡                                        cw: 39.9 kg / 88 lbs

bmi:  15.6 or 16.1 because of height 

♡  EDC: visualkeithinspo

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚(◕‿◕✿)**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚   

▅ ▆ █ 100 %

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

╰┈➤   (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ 𝔹𝕒𝕟𝕕𝕤 ♥                                                                                                                  ╰┈➤        𝓐𝓫𝓸𝓾𝓽 𝓜𝓮

♡  『M』『U』『C』『C』                                                                                                                                                                                   ♡    𝕀ℕ𝕋ℙ
                                ♡  𝔇𝔦𝔯 𝔢𝔫 𝔤𝔯𝔢𝔶                                                                                                                                                                             ♡   𝓢ᕼ𝒆/𝕙𝑒𝐑
                                         ♡  𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝑜𝓇𝒶𝓁 𝒸𝒾𝑔𝒶𝓇𝑒𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓈                                                                                                                                                                   ♡   𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖑𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝖉𝖎𝖌𝖎𝖙𝖆𝖑 𝖆𝖗𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙
                                             ♡    malice mizer                                                                                                                                                                                   ♡  𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣 𝟙𝟠
                                           ♡  🆃🅷🅴 🅶🅰🆉🅴🆃🆃🅴                                                                                                                                                                 ♡  𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊𝖘 𝖓𝖊𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖞, 𝖍𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖞, 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖕𝖍𝖎𝖑𝖔𝖘𝖔𝖕𝖍𝖞
                                                   ♡  𝖇𝖆𝖇𝖞𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖆𝖑                                                                                                                                                                                  ♡ 🅰🅽🅸🅼🅴 🅰🅳🅳🅸🅲🆃
                                                       ♡  𝒽𝑒𝓁𝓁𝑜 𝓈𝓁𝑒𝑒𝓅𝓌𝒶𝓁𝓀𝑒𝓇𝓈                                                                                                                                                              ♡  𝖘𝖔𝖈𝖎𝖆𝖑𝖑𝖞 𝖆𝖜𝖐𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖉 𝖆𝖘 𝖍𝖊𝖑𝖑
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         ♡  likes alternative, visual kei fashion and j-fashion
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         ♡    𝓫𝓲𝓼𝓮𝔁𝓾𝓪𝓵

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#55 PillPrincess

PillPrincess

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:22 AM

I think most trigger warnings are actually a huge sign saying “LOOK HERE” because we all know most of us actually like to trigger ourselves

#56 valfreyja

valfreyja

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 12:35 PM

I know they have been overused by some people online to the point of being a joke. Like I remember tumblr 5ish years ago and the amount of people policing each other and writing angry posts about people needing to tag tw of literally everything.

There are people who have very valid reasons to avoid certain topics if they are associated with trauma/ptsd/and I'd also say it is really helpful that people put tw for ED content as it is detrimental to people trying to recover.

There's a girl at my uni who always interrupts lectures to correct people and tell them their wording might possibly somehow be offensive and bigoted but she's not sure but she's going to correct them in front of everyone anyway. She recently told me I was being triggering out of nowhere after bringing up a topic herself and tbh everyone found it very odd and uncomfortable. I obviously was like oh of course but she also then wrote her entire piece on the topic she told me was triggering, so it's like she just jumped at the opportunity to call someone out/take moral highground again.

And I agree whenever I see tw I ignore it and click anyway.

#57 ShyButStillHere

ShyButStillHere

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 01:18 PM

With my younger sister's anorexia recovery, trigger warnings have been a life saver because she's easily triggered by certain things but genuinely wants to be able to recover. I support them for that reason. I know a lot of people here (myself included) view trigger warnings as a big welcome sign and sometimes actively seek them out, but everyone's different. I'm going to trigger myself regardless of if the warning is there or not, but for people like her it's good to have that option to avoid it.
  • fairies likes this

_________ :wub:_________

SW/HW: 110 lbs / 49 kg

CW: 83 lbs / 38 kg

UGW: 75 lbs / 34 kg

#58 jpi332

jpi332

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:47 PM

yes I agree
and OMG really? videos of these sorts actually exist? thats...very weird on so many levels... why do tiktok allow theses kinds of contents

Supposedly it was to stop people from binging, but it showed up on my fyp..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ANAtomist likes this

"Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you,

nice to know somebody loves me"

#59 mangofrommars

mangofrommars

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Locationusa (help)

Posted 12 June 2021 - 06:50 PM

trigger warnings are nice and useful. but they get super specific. also usually i've already seen the triggering content before any tw in a caption lol

-𝖒𝖆𝖗𝖘

𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔶/𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔪

cw 46.8kg

ugw 45

lw 46.8

hw 63.5

bmi 17.3

body fat: 15.3%

#60 GloriousThorn

GloriousThorn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3798 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:19 PM

When it comes to my eating disorder, I face triggers every single day, no matter where I go or who I'm with. I do think it's kind for people to give trigger warnings if their posts are about other touchy subjects like rape or abuse or self harm, etc. But yeah, it should be a given that all posts on this site will be discussing aspects of eating disorders and I don't think trigger warnings are necessary in those instances.
"I couldn't utter my love when it counted
ah but I'm singing like a bird about it now"

5'1 and a half
HW: 165
CW: 118 (4/26/21)
LW: 103
GW: 120 ☆
Gw2: 115
Gw3: 110
Ugw: 105 (bmi 19.5)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users