'Anorexia is for teenagers'.. Please tell me im not alone here - Page 4 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

'Anorexia is for teenagers'.. Please tell me im not alone here

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#61 ☆PaisleySky☆

☆PaisleySky☆

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1679 posts
  • LocationPNW🌲

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:35 PM

I think it’s a common time for EDs to manifest, but definitely not exclusive to teenagers. When I was in IP there was a woman there in her 70s. It was actually heartbreaking, I think about her a lot and wonder if she’s still alive. I hope she ended up okay.
I’m 26 and I’ve had an eating disorder for like a decade now fml.
  • ᵒ ʷ ᵒ ᶜ ᵃ ᵗ and fairies like this

5'2"

CW 🐳

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

✨Watch my relapse here✨

#62 orange juice & vogue

orange juice & vogue

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Locationrainforest

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:18 PM

hi, i'm 25

height: 5'7

cw: 115 (goal)
ugw: 95 

#63 savedbymyownstupidity

savedbymyownstupidity

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:24 PM

My ed developed when I was 13 but here I am 10 years later relapsing for the third time.

#64 Red_dragon

Red_dragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:24 PM

I’ll need a time machine then

#65 leftthislifetorot

leftthislifetorot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:45 PM

ive never dealt with ed until i turned 21 just other mental illnesses i never even thought i would growing up and now i think its because of my past trauma and addiction problems. anyone of any age can experience 

i drink your blood and i eat your skin

#66 kumorijimins

kumorijimins

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1727 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:00 PM

i hate hearing that so much omfg like it makes me feel invalid or sometimes even just worse like if its for teenagers why havent i outgrown it whats wrong with me lol

giphy.gif

cw: 111.2lbs

gw: 100lbs

bmi: 18.5

#67 thinstrument

thinstrument

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • LocationUpper Midwest...where it's cold

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:07 PM

psh

My children are in their 20s

oops

I ramble online at Carrots In My Carryon

#68 littlelightweight

littlelightweight

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4454 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:20 PM

I’m 49. I feel embarrassed to be so deep in my ED. I should have my shit together. 

• not_my_body likes this

#69 Straight_lace

Straight_lace

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:45 PM

I turned 31 at the start of June and I’ve been this way since I was about 9 I think. The whole ‘ED is for teens’ comes from the stylised movies, popular news etc I believe, I know people from my last outpatient treatment group (3 years ago now) that are turning 45, 18, 22 and 60 this year…

It takes all sorts. Time of life doesn’t factor in an eating disorder and anyone who says it does clearly doesn’t understand what they’re jabbering about.
  • littlelightweight and Hanna94 like this

#70 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5682 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:46 PM

I’m 49. I feel embarrassed to be so deep in my ED. I should have my shit together.

Nah no need to be embarrassed. An Ed has no age. I'm 36.
  • littlelightweight and yellow_sun like this
"Now you see, the world is full of temptations. They are wrong things that seem right at the time" - Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.

High restricting is the way for me because slow and steady wins the race. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you end the day on a calorie deficit, you have won.

Height: 5 foot 7 / 171cms,
Highest Weight: 180 pounds / 82 kgs, (BMI 28.0)
Lowest Weight: 85 pounds / 39 kgs, (BMI 13.3)

ULTIMATE GOAL WEIGHT (again): 85 pounds / 39 kgs OR LOWER!!!

#71 DenialsABitch

DenialsABitch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:52 PM

I'm 27. My mom struggled with orthorexia well into her 40s-- probably still does, but we don't have a relationship so I can't say for sure.

I think a lot of people do get better as they get older because for a lot of people, as they move from a teenager to a young adult, they tend to get more control over their lives (thus, the need to seek it out in this way diminishes somewhat). But that's not the case for everyone, especially those who gravitate towards situations where control continues to be limited (relationships, jobs, education, any environment that exacerbates these underlying problems) or those who come from backgrounds that leave them unable to understand and accept the control they do have-- being passive to the point of being self-detrimental.

I also think it's an easy thing to fall back into when life takes an unexpected turn (this relapse is directly related to a sudden death in the family, for example).
  • fairies likes this

#72 CoffeeYeah

CoffeeYeah

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:16 AM

I'm 22. I know of many people older than me with severe eating disorders but sometimes I can't help but feel like it's partly seen as something that indicates I'm mentally immature or incompetent at life or deal with emotions like a child. I hate that and don't want anyone to think that. I think it's a subtle stigma attached that people tend not to discuss.

I agree. By theory there are 100s of adults with eating disorders but i think there is almost an idea around being an adult that by having a eating disorder you do not have your life in order hence being child like and not wanting to see the reality in things, when this infact has nothing to do with your emotional/mental maturity or your grasp on reality. Its less spoken of and i think in a way as adults we try hide it more than as teenagers, which is strange because as adults we do not fear getting in trouble for it, only being judged by it.

• valfreyja and Hanna94 like this

#73 CoffeeYeah

CoffeeYeah

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:22 AM

I'm 23 now but I've always thought thus stereotype was ridiculous even as a teen.
Kind of feels invalidating no matter your age because even IF you fall into the 'target' category it just feels like people are making it out to be a silly, irrational teenie thing instead of a mental illness that can befall ANYONE like literally every other MI out there

I agree. I also think this stigma is harmful to teenagers with eating disorders because it implies its a hormonal or immature thing that comes with growing pains .. Its a mental illness, not a hormonal teenager stage

• Hanna94 likes this

#74 CoffeeYeah

CoffeeYeah

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:37 AM

Thank you to everyone who commented on this, it actually really helped me, and others from what i see. This disorder constantly makes us feel unvalid and this is just another example of that. Ive never been on any type of community like this before (made this account like 3 weeks ago) and also i genuinely dont know a single soul , nor ever met anyone with a ED, so i have always felt very alone up until today

• littlelightweight, ᵒ ʷ ᵒ ᶜ ᵃ ᵗ, not_my_body and 3 others like this

#75 2BeThinEnough

2BeThinEnough

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3634 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:44 AM

Just turned 35 though I do not feel look or act it lol

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
  • not_my_body likes this

#76 Earthwitch87

Earthwitch87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:52 AM

Such a load of bollocks. I'm 34. Was anorexic as a teen then I did recover once I hit 19. Got married in my early 20s, had some babies and ibs triggered my disordered eating relapse in the last 2 years. Trying to control my body. Anyone can get triggered and relapse at any age.
5'3
Cw:116
Gw:110
Ugw:105

#77 Hanna94

Hanna94

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • LocationNorthern Europe

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:15 AM

I‘m 27 in October and my first symptoms started around 8 years old. So neither did it start in my teens nor did it miraculously vanish when I "grew up"...

#78 Prettyinthin113

Prettyinthin113

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:05 AM

25 /F/FL

#79 SecretsOfNeptune

SecretsOfNeptune

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:38 PM

Im 27 and didnt start restricting or purging until i was 23-24.. not everyone with an ED starts in their teen years..
SecretsOfNeptune

160 159 158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150 149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140 139 138 137 136 135 133 132 131 130 129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ni64q2a6u5mlpf0zs9<p>

#80 Lizzzer

Lizzzer

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:53 PM

40 here

don't step on It

In recovery, I guess? 

Relapsing