I have no idea how many calories I burn a day - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

I have no idea how many calories I burn a day

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Im really just vibing

Im really just vibing

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:20 PM

Basically the title but the reasons are the following:

1) online calculations estimate my BMR and TDEE way too high. If they were true, I would be losing way more than I am

2) for every pound I lose, I also lose water weight and food weight (I assume) so I’m worried that for every pound, I only burn, for example, 2500 calories and the scale just shows a lower number even though I haven’t truly lost 1 pound.

3) I don’t trust my ability to count calories and think I underestimate (so I try to overestimate to balance it out) so I can’t monitor my weight loss and work backwards

Are these legit? Especially number 2? I’m really worried that I haven’t truly lost much weight and I just want to know my TDEE so I can eat in peace (*´ー`*)

19 years old

5'8" (172 cm)

HW/SW: 115 lbs (52.2 kgs)(BMI 17.5)

CW: 99 lbs (45 kgs) (BMI 15.0)
LW (at 5'6"): 85 lbs (38.6 kgs) (BMI 13.7)

UGW: 85 lbs (BMI 12.9)

Just wanna run in a flower field and be loved <3

#2 𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒

𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationIn your garden.

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:40 PM

Do you calculate your TDEE to sedentary?

When you say you're eating up to your BMR and still not losing, what is the time frame on that? Did you do math to calculate how much you should be losing each week because it will be slower. Say your current BMR is 1,250 (it's actually a little over 1,270 but I always round down a little and I also assumed you are biologically female), if you eat at your BMR for a week, that'd be a deficit of 250 kcals per day, and you will have lost 0.5 of a lb of FAT by the end of a week. This 0.5 lb of fat can very easily concealed by water weight gain (especially if you've been restricting beforehand), so you might think you're not losing any fat when you are. That's why they say you need to stick with stuff for a month or longer and not give up easily.

Also, just a reminder, your BMR is the energy level your organs need to function at and is the bare minimum, if you're actually not losing at your BMR, either 1) you're eating more kcals than you think you are/burning more kcals than you think you are (if you are incorporating kcals burnt) or 2) you've got a medical problem or 3) also a severe medical problem but you may be in a coma (lol).

If you're not measuring stuff or using a food scale, chances are you're actually overcounting kcals. It's super easy to do and even the best of us do it. I always round up my kcals in every meal (just a tiny bit like, say I had 342 kcals for a meal, I'll put 350) and I've found that this aligns closer to the weight I lose (I keep a lot of spreadsheets). 

And finally, working backwards can be a useful tool when trial and erroring it to figure out how much you're off with your kcal counting, but it should not be your only tool because it's not really accurate since weight loss isn't linear. When you weigh yourself, you're not just weighing the fat on you (which you said, just reiterating), you're weighing everything: water, food weight, waste weight, etc. and that fluctuates A LOT. It's almost impossible to tell, especially when you're getting to really low weights, what is fat and what is just normal fluctuations. One thing you can be sure of, your BMR is accurate. Your sedentary TDEE is probably close as well. What's off is more likely to be your kcal counting, normal weight fluctuations, and/or you're adding in kcals burnt and overestimating how much you're burning (which is why I ignore them and consider them a bonus and only consider sedentary TDEE).

INFJ-T ~ "The Advocate"

https://www.16person...nfj-personality

giphy.gif

#3 Im really just vibing

Im really just vibing

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:01 PM

Do you calculate your TDEE to sedentary?

When you say you're eating up to your BMR and still not losing, what is the time frame on that? Did you do math to calculate how much you should be losing each week because it will be slower. Say your current BMR is 1,250 (it's actually a little over 1,270 but I always round down a little and I also assumed you are biologically female), if you eat at your BMR for a week, that'd be a deficit of 250 kcals per day, and you will have lost 0.5 of a lb of FAT by the end of a week. This 0.5 lb of fat can very easily concealed by water weight gain (especially if you've been restricting beforehand), so you might think you're not losing any fat when you are. That's why they say you need to stick with stuff for a month or longer and not give up easily.

Also, just a reminder, your BMR is the energy level your organs need to function at and is the bare minimum, if you're actually not losing at your BMR, either 1) you're eating more kcals than you think you are/burning more kcals than you think you are (if you are incorporating kcals burnt) or 2) you've got a medical problem or 3) also a severe medical problem but you may be in a coma (lol).

If you're not measuring stuff or using a food scale, chances are you're actually overcounting kcals. It's super easy to do and even the best of us do it. I always round up my kcals in every meal (just a tiny bit like, say I had 342 kcals for a meal, I'll put 350) and I've found that this aligns closer to the weight I lose (I keep a lot of spreadsheets). 

And finally, working backwards can be a useful tool when trial and erroring it to figure out how much you're off with your kcal counting, but it should not be your only tool because it's not really accurate since weight loss isn't linear. When you weigh yourself, you're not just weighing the fat on you (which you said, just reiterating), you're weighing everything: water, food weight, waste weight, etc. and that fluctuates A LOT. It's almost impossible to tell, especially when you're getting to really low weights, what is fat and what is just normal fluctuations. One thing you can be sure of, your BMR is accurate. Your sedentary TDEE is probably close as well. What's off is more likely to be your kcal counting, normal weight fluctuations, and/or you're adding in kcals burnt and overestimating how much you're burning (which is why I ignore them and consider them a bonus and only consider sedentary TDEE).

Woah thank you for such a long response!! I usually lose about 1 pound per month so I guess I’m not counting my calories right because I don’t factor in loss from exercise. Thank you so much!!

19 years old

5'8" (172 cm)

HW/SW: 115 lbs (52.2 kgs)(BMI 17.5)

CW: 99 lbs (45 kgs) (BMI 15.0)
LW (at 5'6"): 85 lbs (38.6 kgs) (BMI 13.7)

UGW: 85 lbs (BMI 12.9)

Just wanna run in a flower field and be loved <3

#4 𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒

𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationIn your garden.

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:27 PM

Woah thank you for such a long response!! I usually lose about 1 pound per month so I guess I’m not counting my calories right because I don’t factor in loss from exercise. Thank you so much!!

No problem! I'm either doing 0 or 100, there seems to be no in between for me :lol:. Let me know if you have any more questions or anything!

INFJ-T ~ "The Advocate"

https://www.16person...nfj-personality

giphy.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users