Thoughts on Tess Holliday as a Atypical AN - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Thoughts on Tess Holliday as a Atypical AN

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 chasingcalm

chasingcalm

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1331 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:41 PM

I honestly feel kinda of appalled about all this drama over Tess Holliday saying she as anorexia as someone with atypical anorexia. It feels like everyone is gatekeeping the anorexia diagnosis. You would think people with eating disorders would be the people to advocate for having anorexia at any weight because it is a mental illness

I'm in a larger body (although not nearly as big as her) and when you say 'she can't be anorexic', It makes me feel as though I am less valid. It is leading to mpa starting to not feel like a safe place for me to be. I know we are all sick, but some people need to work on their internalized fatphobia (myself included)

• bonedgirl and Light_Tuna like this

just a twenty-something trying to get her shit together

#2 impmon

impmon

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11070 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:44 PM

she's a wreck. anorwreck. i'm trademarking that.

• mourir de faim, teaworkeat, catgomeow and 15 others like this

5'3 / bmi 12.whatever / hikikomori

pls no bullytwitter / fat fucking ego

0e85f646e50bb3d3afd6072a4076e3591c4e2c10

if i'm ever mean, i'm just schizoid and don't know how to communicate. call me out.

#3 dylanisnolongerdyingsadly

dylanisnolongerdyingsadly

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2041 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:47 PM

Idk what to tell you. By literal diagnosis she cannot be anorexia nervosa, requires different treatment.
To me i do consider atypical anorexics as just anorexics, in the same category as those who are underweight. But from a diagnostic POV, she can’t be diagnosed.
Nobody is “gate keeping” a mental illness. I fucking hate that word. It has nothing to do with that.
She’s not anorexic, point blank. And if she is, then how she’s presented herself for years has been a lie, and she’s an awful person.
we can’t make this site your perfect safe space lol we have to be factual, we can’t coddle constantly. There’s a difference between saying “SHES A FATTY SHE COULD NEVER BE ANOREXIC” and “She doesn’t meet the criteria.”
  • CumDumpster, RumHam, ifeelpretty and 30 others like this
My signature is a mess rn redoing it lol

Spoiler

773427w34lc9wivu.gif

#4 flaneur

flaneur

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4018 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:49 PM

she doesn’t have anorexia. point blank period lol. anorexia is literally categorised by weight loss, whether you’re at a higher bmi or not. she has lost no weight. she actually agreed with a comment that said they used to have anorexia but had never lost weight due to ‘starvation mode’, which shows how little she actually knows about the condition. it’s not about the weight, most people agree that you can have any ed at any weight. it’s about the fact that she’s an ignorant little shit who has pulled stuff like this for attention before. not to mention how her whole brand is loving herself as a plus sized girl. doesn’t seem like she can relate to the typical anorexia mindset to me but okay lol
  • HenloAmFrog, sophieshungry, nofunclub and 12 others like this

#5 plum-crazy

plum-crazy

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1435 posts
  • Locationin the back of fiat multipla

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:53 PM

I think its not her weight that seems to be the actual problem here.
First of all she is not losing weight so she doesnt really meet the critetia of AN. Had she been obese and suddenly dropped 40 lbs, got into overweight or normal weight range everyone would agree she has AN.
She doesnt look like she is losing weight tho.
So she DOES NOT HAVE AN.

Which COULD mean she suffers from BED or EDNOS rather than AN.
Sure she may be also sick on top of being obese which doesnt allow her to lose weight yet she may have a brain of an anorexic person.
Got it?
Second thing: she is famous.
That fact alone will make a large group of people speculate that she is making her ED up to get attention.
Which may be true.
Now my personal opinion.

I feel sorry for her. Whether she has an ED or not she is obese. And while it may seem rude and hypocrital, obesity is...bad for her health. BOTH physical and mental. So im 100% sure her claiming she has a big problem with eating is true.

TOO MUCH DRAMA EHHHH
  • Sloane-Shanahan, saraaaaaa, itsybitsyme and 5 others like this

#6 kitn

kitn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5459 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:02 PM

my main confusion is how anyone can have atypical anorexia without actually losing weight.. if she had atypical anorexia she'd be eating a calorie deficit and therefore would lose weight? also the way she has conducted/presented herself over the years makes me doubtful. it's nothing to do with her bmi or current weight whatsoever for me as I've been at both ends of the scale myself. 

• TinyLostSoul, Deltadelta, 𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒 and 3 others like this

#7 chasingcalm

chasingcalm

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1331 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:05 PM

my main confusion is how anyone can have atypical anorexia without actually losing weight.. if she had atypical anorexia she'd be eating a calorie deficit and therefore would lose weight? also the way she has conducted/presented herself over the years makes me doubtful. it's nothing to do with her bmi or current weight whatsoever for me as I've been at both ends of the scale myself. 

I just wouldn't want to assume that she hasn't lost any weight. We don't know her personal medical information

• Sun baby likes this

#8 clemishungry

clemishungry

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:05 PM

honestly im sick of talking abt her but ill say one thing. to me her weight doesn't matter. the fact that she has shown off her body and happily and proudly declared herself fat in such a public way is the main reason i dont think she could have an.

for the first 3 yrs my weight only went up while i was disordered, mainly cause i'd binge for abt a week after restricting for a few days so to me it's possible for someone to have atypical an while maintaining, gaining, or losing/gaining the same 10 lbs.

frankly i think shes lonely, hurting and craving attention and this is a cry for help, publicity or both
  • saraaaaaa, imprecisebuteffortless, 𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒 and 10 others like this

1.8 lbs from my gw which will put me at bmi 15.0 

currently in inpatient

updated july 17th

#9 flaneur

flaneur

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4018 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:09 PM

for the first 3 yrs my weight only went up while i was disordered, mainly cause i'd binge for abt a week after restricting for a few days so to me it's possible for someone to have atypical an while maintaining, gaining, or losing/gaining the same 10 lbs.

wouldn’t that be considered ednos though?
  • TinyLostSoul and surrealicity like this

#10 chasingcalm

chasingcalm

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1331 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:11 PM

wouldn’t that be considered ednos though?

OSFED has replaced EDNOS in the DSM-5 and atypical AN is a subtype of OSFED

#11 flaneur

flaneur

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4018 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:14 PM

OSFED has replaced EDNOS in the DSM-5 and atypical AN is a subtype of OSFED

oh right lol i didn’t know that it had been changed. but my point was i thought that atypical anorexia was having all of the same features as a textbook anorexic does aside from the low bmi? and that includes the continuous weight loss. correct me if i’m wrong though i don’t know much about this stuff

#12 kitn

kitn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5459 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:15 PM

I just wouldn't want to assume that she hasn't lost any weight. We don't know her personal medical information

she looks exactly the same to me but agree with you it's not right to assume she hasn't lost weight especially not based on my eyes as they deceive me all the time.

• chasingcalm and bonedgirl like this

#13 kitn

kitn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5459 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:17 PM

the fact that she has shown off her body and happily and proudly declared herself fat in such a public way is the main reason i dont think she could have an.

yeah like she's literally made a career of being proud to be significantly overweight so was she lying all that time when she acted like she was okay with her body? 

• Deltadelta likes this

#14 chasingcalm

chasingcalm

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1331 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:20 PM

oh right lol i didn’t know that it had been changed. but my point was i thought that atypical anorexia was having all of the same features as a textbook anorexic does aside from the low bmi? and that includes the continuous weight loss. correct me if i’m wrong though i don’t know much about this stuff

Criterion A of AN states 'Restriction of energy intake relative to requirements, leading to a significantly low body weight in the context of the age, sex, developmental trajectory, and physical health' so taking out the 'significantly low body weight' part, you don't actually have to lose weight, you just have to restrict, which for most people would cause weight loss, but there are medical conditions (like hypothyroidism and PCOS) where that might not happen

• bonedgirl likes this

#15 chasingcalm

chasingcalm

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1331 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:22 PM

yeah like she's literally made a career of being proud to be significantly overweight so was she lying all that time when she acted like she was okay with her body? 

I understand that argument and agree with it

#16 flaneur

flaneur

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4018 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:25 PM

Criterion A of AN states 'Restriction of energy intake relative to requirements, leading to a significantly low body weight in the context of the age, sex, developmental trajectory, and physical health' so taking out the 'significantly low body weight' part, you don't actually have to lose weight, you just have to restrict, which for most people would cause weight loss, but there are medical conditions (like hypothyroidism and PCOS) where that might not happen

yeah okay lmao fair enough, but as far as i know, those conditions are both pretty rare right? which means that most people who claim that they have anorexia but have never lost weight from their conditions are just liars. and i believe that’s the case with tess because there is nothing about her that screams ‘i have anorexia’ from her lack of weight loss to her posting a video of herself eating a whole ass cake and making a living off of her being fat and being proud of it
  • Diettea123 and bbhbuns like this

#17 ☆PaisleySky☆

☆PaisleySky☆

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1931 posts
  • LocationPNW🌲

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

she looks exactly the same to me but agree with you it's not right to assume she hasn't lost weight especially not based on my eyes as they deceive me all the time.

I also think it’s worth pointing out that sometimes it’s difficult to actually see the weight loss when someone is that heavy, since it’s a smaller percentage of their overall bodyweight. Losing 60 lbs will look a lot more significant on someone who went from 150 lbs to 90 lbs than on someone who started at 350 lbs down to 290. Most people just see someone who is still fat. Even still, 60 lbs down for an obese person may seem like the beginning of “healthy” weight loss but isn’t really a good thing if it was achieved quickly through unhealthy means. It can still have a negative impact on someone’s health, and that doesn’t even take into account what they may be going through psychologically.
  • chasingcalm likes this

5'2"

CW 108 lbs 🐳

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

✨Watch my relapse here✨

#18 kitn

kitn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5459 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:30 PM

I also think it’s worth pointing out that sometimes it’s difficult to actually see the weight loss when someone is that heavy, since it’s a smaller percentage of their overall bodyweight. Losing 60 lbs will look a lot more significant on someone who went from 150 lbs to 90 lbs than on someone who started at 350 lbs down to 290. Most people just see someone who is still fat. Even still, 60 lbs down for an obese person may seem like the beginning of “healthy” weight loss but isn’t really a good thing if it was achieved quickly through unhealthy means. It can still have a negative impact on someone’s health, and that doesn’t even take into account what they may be going through psychologically.

agree

#19 snowqueenxx

snowqueenxx

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationSnowland

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:37 PM

she's a wreck. anorwreck. i'm trademarking that.

anorwrecktic
  • teaworkeat, paperaeroplane, Deltadelta and 6 others like this

#20 teaworkeat

teaworkeat

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3840 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:41 PM

It’s the starvation mode thing for me. I feel like that myth would INSTANTLY go out the window once someone has actually suffered. What doctor wouldn’t bank on a celeb’s self-diagnosis, too?
  • warmmilk, stkitty and Diettea123 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users