Thoughts on Tess Holliday as a Atypical AN - Page 3 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Thoughts on Tess Holliday as a Atypical AN

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 ANAtomist

ANAtomist

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3324 posts
  • LocationIn a mortuary next to an autopsy table OR climbing beyond octaves written by Rachmaninov and Paganini OR cracking the Da Vinci code

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:57 PM

Omg like... PLEASE, just PLEASEEEE stop giving her even more attention than she already have. She doesn’t deserve us to waste our lifetime even looking at a peep of any of her stuffs
  • 𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒, lemmy the failed formalist, hunthebun and 2 others like this

[Updated: June, 2021] 168cm | 37kg | BMI = 13.1

PLEASE!! THIS IS MY PERSONAL PLEA: DON’T SAY THINGS LIKE “if your BMI is true you need to be hospitalised” or “if your signature is still accurate...” because A. yes? It’s still accurate? It says updated on JUNE 2021, which is like...literally what today is B. why would you think it’s not true? Why do I need to lie on an anonymous site? It’s exactly because I can’t talk about my ED IRL so I have to go online... I’m already struggling & hurting so much, just like how you are too. Imagine you having no support whatsoever, go online to find an outlet, only being questioned for your credibility about your stats and posts, how would you feel? C. yes it might seem low but my highest ever BMI was around 17, I’m premature and have multiple medical conditions that made me weight less/can’t eat much even prior my ED. So yea, 13 is not that bad compare to someone who got here from a much higher HW.

EDC: ANAtomist Da Vinci | Pancakes: ANAtomist van Beethoven

~ AN - r ~

#42 hunthebun

hunthebun

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 12:58 PM

Omg like... PLEASE, just PLEASEEEE stop giving her even more attention than she already have. She doesn’t deserve us to waste our lifetime even looking at a peep of any of her stuffs

this!!! she's a raging attention seeker who found a new 'thing' to claim for attention. let's ditch it now. 

• jpi332 and ANAtomist like this

an immortal anorexic with a god complex 

175cm (5'9"),

all leg 

hw = 56kg (BMI 18.9, I was shorter)

lw = 31kg (BMI 10.1)

cw= 31.9kg (BMI 10.something)

​*mentally preparing for my arse being forced into treatment soon*

#43 ANAtomist

ANAtomist

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3324 posts
  • LocationIn a mortuary next to an autopsy table OR climbing beyond octaves written by Rachmaninov and Paganini OR cracking the Da Vinci code

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:29 PM

this!!! she's a raging attention seeker who found a new 'thing' to claim for attention. let's ditch it now. 

Ikr and nothing. NOT a single thing from her deserves ANY of the attention that she’s having now. Doesn’t benefit us in life either

[Updated: June, 2021] 168cm | 37kg | BMI = 13.1

PLEASE!! THIS IS MY PERSONAL PLEA: DON’T SAY THINGS LIKE “if your BMI is true you need to be hospitalised” or “if your signature is still accurate...” because A. yes? It’s still accurate? It says updated on JUNE 2021, which is like...literally what today is B. why would you think it’s not true? Why do I need to lie on an anonymous site? It’s exactly because I can’t talk about my ED IRL so I have to go online... I’m already struggling & hurting so much, just like how you are too. Imagine you having no support whatsoever, go online to find an outlet, only being questioned for your credibility about your stats and posts, how would you feel? C. yes it might seem low but my highest ever BMI was around 17, I’m premature and have multiple medical conditions that made me weight less/can’t eat much even prior my ED. So yea, 13 is not that bad compare to someone who got here from a much higher HW.

EDC: ANAtomist Da Vinci | Pancakes: ANAtomist van Beethoven

~ AN - r ~

#44 skelliebelle

skelliebelle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3943 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:29 PM

she's the one enforcing gatekeeping. if she's diagnosed atypical anorexia why does she keep saying "anorexia nervosa"? what's wrong with atypical, especially when she could be raising awareness for a little known mental illness? cos she's all about raising awareness for marginalized people right?
she's capitalizing the shock value of a very fat person claiming "anorexia nervosa." she's the one disrespecting your diagnosis.
also why do we know her nutritionist but not the psychiatrist who supposedly diagnosed her? is it because the dr. would out her as being OSFED or AAN and ruin the headline?
my bigger problem is how she hasn't addressed that "lovin my fat gurl life 😘" persona would have to be a lie if her diagnosis was anything restrictive (besides maybe ARFID.) so there's yet another way she's invalidating your problem. she is basically saying you can have AAN and not suffer with body insecurity, how tf does that work?
your anger and hurt should be directed at her
  • 𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒, stkitty and Loquat like this

#45 stkitty

stkitty

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2504 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:35 PM

she's the one enforcing gatekeeping. if she's diagnosed atypical anorexia why does she keep saying "anorexia nervosa"? what's wrong with atypical, especially when she could be raising awareness for a little known mental illness? cos she's all about raising awareness for marginalized people right?
she's capitalizing the shock value of a very fat person claiming "anorexia nervosa." she's the one disrespecting your diagnosis.
also why do we know her nutritionist but not the psychiatrist who supposedly diagnosed her? is it because the dr. would out her as being OSFED or AAN and ruin the headline?
my bigger problem is how she hasn't addressed that "lovin my fat gurl life " persona would have to be a lie if her diagnosis was anything restrictive (besides maybe ARFID.) so there's yet another way she's invalidating your problem. she is basically saying you can have AAN and not suffer with body insecurity, how tf does that work?
your anger and hurt should be directed at her

lol... like as if "gatekeeping" is a problem? Tess Holiday obviously doesn't have it (atypical or not), it's fucking obvious and we can see it.

You can't just say "all gatekeeping is bad uwu" and then turn around and expect us to go along with this shit.

• jpi332 likes this

#46 skelliebelle

skelliebelle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3943 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:39 PM

ps i haven't seen her nutritionist actually confirm this ridiculous dx only make very vague blanket statements that technically are true but not necessarily relevant to tess's claims like "anyone can have an eating disorder" "EDs have no weight" etc like ok true but that doesn't actually answer any of the questions anyone is raising

#47 Bee's bones

Bee's bones

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:42 PM

It isn't about her being big. She isn't anorexic because she doesn't exhibit any of the symptoms of the diagnosis (even for Atypical AN). 

[under construction]

#48 skelliebelle

skelliebelle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3943 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:57 PM

lol... like as if "gatekeeping" is a problem? Tess Holiday obviously doesn't have it (atypical or not), it's fucking obvious and we can see it.

You can't just say "all gatekeeping is bad uwu" and then turn around and expect us to go along with this shit.

i didn't say any of that im just saying if OP feels that someone is creating a hierarchy of EDs it's the person falsely claiming a diagnosis specifically to avoid being associated with OP's diagnosis, or worse OSFED which doesn't even include the magic a-word!
i think gatekeeping has a range just like anything else although im more familiar with it in the LGBTQ context. with mental illness i do think what some people call "gatekeeping" is necessary because i'm actually professionally trained in diagnosis and all the "research" aka googling in the world doesn't compare to years of specialized training but like ok here we are. the people who disagree will never change their mind and unless they want to go thru the same education they'll never really understand the difference so here we are.
OP is AAN and feels invalidated so i just wanted to point out that maybe they should be mad at the person working hardest to distance herself from AAN not the people here raising very obviously valid doubts
  • tea-and-owls and dreamsynopsis like this

#49 skelliebelle

skelliebelle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3943 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 07:02 PM

i didn't "uwu" anything and i actually didn't say anything about gatekeeping besides that tess holiday is doing it. didn't say good or bad, def didn't say "all." maybe read the comments you're replying to first

#50 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:08 PM

For real, don’t feed the troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you,

nice to know somebody loves me"

#51 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1600 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:12 PM

i didn't "uwu" anything and i actually didn't say anything about gatekeeping besides that tess holiday is doing it. didn't say good or bad, def didn't say "all." maybe read the comments you're replying to first

They liked your comments...I think they were agreeing with you..

• bbhbuns likes this

#52 ☆PaisleySky☆

☆PaisleySky☆

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1931 posts
  • LocationPNW🌲

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:37 PM

Hate to bump this thread again but I have a few thoughts.
I see A LOT of folks who believe she may have some kind of ED, but have an issue with the fact that she said “Anorexia Nervosa” instead of specifying “ATYPICAL Anorexia Nervosa” (which still includes “Nervosa” in the name, btw.) I understand that maybe it feels misleading to people, or that not giving OSFED/AN-N visibility could be interpreted as contributing to the stigmatization of it. I respect that and believe awareness and visibility of lesser known EDs are important. However, I also feel like fixating and putting so much emphasis on having to distinguish between the two also contributes to the diagnosis hierarchy in a way. In a treatment or medical setting, yes - there is a distinction for a reason, because one usually requires weight restoration while the other may not. But when we talk about these disorders in our day to day life, why do we feel such a need to specify? My guess is that for a lot of folks, it’s because they still view AN as more legitimate and serious than A-AN, and having the two lumped together makes them uncomfortable. Perhaps they fear losing the validity of their disorder if people no longer associate “anorexia” with exclusively being underweight. They (possibly even subconsciously) like the exclusivity because it validates them. Food for thought.
  • chasingcalm likes this

5'2"

CW 108 lbs 🐳

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

✨Watch my relapse here✨

#53 mn23

mn23

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1547 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:52 PM

I see A LOT of folks who believe she may have some kind of ED, but have an issue with the fact that she said “Anorexia Nervosa” instead of specifying “ATYPICAL Anorexia Nervosa” (which still includes “Nervosa” in the name, btw.) I understand that maybe it feels misleading to people, or that not giving OSFED/AN-N visibility could be interpreted as contributing to the stigmatization of it. I respect that and believe awareness and visibility of lesser known EDs are important. However, I also feel like fixating and putting so much emphasis on having to distinguish between the two also contributes to the diagnosis hierarchy in a way. In a treatment or medical setting, yes - there is a distinction for a reason, because one usually requires weight restoration while the other may not. But when we talk about these disorders in our day to day life, why do we feel such a need to specify? My guess is that for a lot of folks, it’s because they still view AN as more legitimate and serious than A-AN, and having the two lumped together makes them uncomfortable. Perhaps they fear losing the validity of their disorder if people no longer associate “anorexia” with exclusively being underweight. They (possibly even subconsciously) like the exclusivity because it validates them. Food for thought.

i totally agree with u to a degree. im sure people r pissed bc they feel invalidated. to clarify i dont have anorexia so the distinction isnt super important to me.
but its obvious she has neither anorexia nor atypical anorexia because science.
also she 100% specified anorexia nervosa on purpose for attention. even when other people specified atypical or ednos on her behalf, the words ednos nor atypical never left her mouth. thats why people are being so anal about her wording. not really because of gatekeeping but bc theres clearly outlined diagnostic criteria with the disorder shes claiming to have that shes doesnt fit

#54 skelliebelle

skelliebelle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3943 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:36 PM

They liked your comments...I think they were agreeing with you..

oh okay. i saw that too and found it kind of confusing like maybe they liked some but not most. maybe the second part was directed at OP not me. thanks ya i wasn't sure what to make of it either cos i saw the like and then right after i felt like i was being accused of saying things i didn't say. & i recognize this user i usually agree with what they post
text only communication can have its problems
  • jpi332 likes this

#55 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1600 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:46 PM

It’s also just the definition though. Words have meanings, put “cancerous” ahead of “tumor”, and you have a totally separate thing than just a tumor. Put “nervosa” behind anorexia, and you have something different from just plain anorexia, which is a lack of appetite. If you have OCPD, that doesn’t mean you are “so OCD” because those are two different things, and as someone with OCD, yeah, I think I’d be justified in being kinda ticked off if someone wanted to pass that off as the same as the disorder that has almost ended in me taking my life.

It’s true that AN is different from OSFED and one has a different survival rate, different mental symptoms, and different issues. That’s not a belief in OSFED not being “legitimate”, it’s just using words accurately.

It’s unfortunate that our disorder makes us see recognizing that one thing is more extreme and different as there being a hierarchy-but the problem isn’t the distinguishing between dx’s, it’s the fact that we see the worst dx as the one to aspire to.

• Sloane-Shanahan, matcha-honey and dreamsynopsis like this

#56 skelliebelle

skelliebelle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3943 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:12 PM

omg i typed out this whole thing that got deleted but maybe that's for the best bc it basically said yes i see your point but i think ppl are mainly only reacting this way because it's TH and she went out of her way to make it sound like AN not AAN, yes they both have nervosa in the name but come on most ppl don't say that part either way. and it was all because there are more clicks and money in "obese chick has skinny disease whaaa??" than "tess holiday brings awareness to rare overweight version of anorexia" like come on, you know that was the headline she wanted to avoid. so ya in general making a huge deal about whether people are including all their specifiers is probably dumb, people don't say they have bipolar and we're like "omg I or II??" but i think this reaction is specifically because tess holiday is such a capitalistic scumbag.
outside of her i generally just think like well if it shouldn't matter then why does it matter to the person with AAN complaining and why can't we all just say ED and give that the respect it deserves. but if this was someone less inflammatory in general or not so extremely morbidly obese i don't think there'd be such a big reaction about the specifier. but being someone constantly trying to instigate and stay in the headlines, whose entire everything is being morbidly obese, no i don't think leaving the specifier off was unintentional, i think it was extremely intentional, and i think that intention should be pointed put and examined

#57 dreamsynopsis

dreamsynopsis

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2083 posts
  • Locationthe heights

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:45 PM

you can’t fucking gatekeep a mental illness. if you don’t meet the criteria for a mental illness you should be thrilled not upset. (edited to add): if she does fit the criteria for any diagnosis that sucks, and it’s likely she has BED or EDNOS. maybe even bulimia. but she absolutely point blank period doesn’t have AN/AAN.

she hasn’t lost any weight. she’s revealed she knows nothing about the disorder when she started talking about starvation mode. her whole brand is centered around how much she loves being super morbidly obese. wanting to lose weight and attempting to do so in a disordered way isn’t anorexia, that’s the basis for other restrictive EDs. anorexia always comes with weight loss even if you recover before ever becoming underweight.

this is an absurd thing to argue about, the facts are laid out bare.
  • skelliebelle, tea-and-owls, catgomeow and 3 others like this

i want to commit, restricting is a compromise at this point.

15a-marlene-dietrich.jpg

Spoiler

#58 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1600 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:46 PM

omg i typed out this whole thing that got deleted but maybe that's for the best bc it basically said yes i see your point but i think ppl are mainly only reacting this way because it's TH and she went out of her way to make it sound like AN not AAN, yes they both have nervosa in the name but come on most ppl don't say that part either way. and it was all because there are more clicks and money in "obese chick has skinny disease whaaa??" than "tess holiday brings awareness to rare overweight version of anorexia" like come on, you know that was the headline she wanted to avoid. so ya in general making a huge deal about whether people are including all their specifiers is probably dumb, people don't say they have bipolar and we're like "omg I or II??" but i think this reaction is specifically because tess holiday is such a capitalistic scumbag.
outside of her i generally just think like well if it shouldn't matter then why does it matter to the person with AAN complaining and why can't we all just say ED and give that the respect it deserves. but if this was someone less inflammatory in general or not so extremely morbidly obese i don't think there'd be such a big reaction about the specifier. but being someone constantly trying to instigate and stay in the headlines, whose entire everything is being morbidly obese, no i don't think leaving the specifier off was unintentional, i think it was extremely intentional, and i think that intention should be pointed put and examined

If someone said “I have bipolar 1” when they have bipolar 2, they would be called out. Tess said “ I have been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa”, which is a dx that includes a low weight. She named a diagnosis that she doesn’t fit, by definition.

She wasn’t bringing attention to a different ED, if she did, she would have clarified that she doesn’t have anorexia nervosa, she has osfed. she was shoehorning herself into a category that she isn’t in. Anorexia nervosa, or just anorexia colloquially, refers to the disorder that involves refusal of maintaining a normal weight, denial of severity or current thinness/body dysmorphia, and I think there’s one other criteria. But two of those aren’t something that could apply to Tess, and yet she claimed it.

• skelliebelle and dreamsynopsis like this

#59 ProDancer

ProDancer

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 06:16 AM

Initially I thought this lady was delusional.
But upon reflection, it is very possible she suffers from a sort of short-term anorexia, where she starves herself, then binges. The net result would be weight gain.
My dad has done it his entire life, cycling through severe restricting, losing 100+ pounds, the. Rapidly gaining big back (plus more). I restrict less than him. I’m also been slender my entire life — am not prone to binging, just consistent restriction — I haven’t had sugar or granule of grain in years.)
I think it’s possible she suffers from a sort of ‘variant’ from the typical anorexia. Very sad for her if she’s enduring this especially in that body.

#60 EternalFurtive

EternalFurtive

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 07:03 AM

She doesnt fit the criteria and it's not "gatekeeping" to point that out

She doesnt meet the criteria for atypical AN either because shes gained weight (she stated this multiple times and you can see it) not lost it

Point is, shes either lying about her entire years long online prescence/personality or lying about having anorexia. Which one is more likely?

1620586612389.png

• jpi332 likes this

9c7b7555db6c03d50ab1e1d9501a608e.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users