Thoughts on Tess Holliday as a Atypical AN - Page 5 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Thoughts on Tess Holliday as a Atypical AN

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 ProDancer

ProDancer

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 08:53 PM

I’ve never heard of these disorders thank you for sharing.

That wouldn’t be anorexia, that would be Ednos or bulimia or BED. A restrictive eating disorder = losing weight, and restricting. Tess never lost weight.

Anorexia would include the following criteria

-restriction of energy intake, leading to a significantly low body weight.
-intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat even when already thin
-disturbance around body weight/shape, undue influence of weight/shape on self esteem, or denial of seriousness of low body weight

Bulimia, Non purging subtype would be closer to what you are describing if she restricted as a compensation for binging. Or OSFED/USFED. Idk if that would apply to anorexia nervosa, a disorder characterized by continual caloric deprivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#82 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 10:47 PM

I've never said everything is equally severe - I don't think you understand what I mean, I think I might have phrased it wrong. English is not my mother-language.

She is in the obese-category and you don't get there if you don't eat a lot more than what you need. She has even posted pictures in her instagram-profile telling her followers that she has gained weight - I think that could be used as some proof.

But you are right that we have no telling what she has or doesn't have :)

You can eat more than you need without having BED, just like you can eat less than you need without having anorexia nervosa. She definitely eats more than she needs though.

"Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you,

nice to know somebody loves me"

#83 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1600 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 10:49 PM

Yeah, I actually dk whether you could be dx’d with atypical if you were restricting then balancing it by binging, but I’m pretty sure you can’t be dx’d with atypical/anorexia/bulimia and BED at the same time, I’d assume Tess would fall under BED or bulimia or osfed if anything.

#84 Cunterfly

Cunterfly

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10991 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 26 June 2021 - 10:58 PM

I don't think people should gatekeep the anorexia diagnosis, but it's hard not to gatekeep Tess Holiday, since she's an attention crazed grifter

Current accountability: https://www.myproana...lys-junky-july/

Current meme thread: https://www.myproana...you-snowflakes/

#85 catgomeow

catgomeow

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5740 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 26 June 2021 - 11:04 PM

OFSED is the newer name for EDNOS- I think it has more subtypes.
ngl I still use ednos bc I like it's shape better but that's a me thing
  • jpi332 likes this

Visit my food folder! giphy.gif

Stats:

Spoiler
Social medias:
Spoiler

#86 yellow_sun

yellow_sun

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1975 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 12:45 AM

You can eat more than you need without having BED, just like you can eat less than you need without having anorexia nervosa. She definitely eats more than she needs though.

Yes, but that’s not really my point or the case here - she openly went out to the public and said “I’m anorexic“ - so we do know she suffers from an eating disorder

I don’t understand why you continue this discussion like whatever I write is wrong. You keep twisting my words and come up with some conclusion that’s far from what I mean. I genuinely never said anything mean or judgy about Tess Holiday. I only said if she’s not honest about her eating-behaviors and struggles, she will never be able to heal and to me it seems like she would be ashamed to admit any other eating disorder than anorexia, but I have no idea because I don’t know her.

Diagnosed with anorexia b/p subtype and on the autism spectrum

Height: 5'6 ft

#87 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1600 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 05:30 PM

Yes, but that’s not really my point or the case here - she openly went out to the public and said “I’m anorexic“ - so we do know she suffers from an eating disorder.

How do we know she suffers from an eating disorder because of that? Falsely claiming anorexia doesn’t = having some other Ed.

I never said you were judging her or that you had any bad intentions, I know you don’t.

I don’t think I’m twisting your words by saying that no, I don’t think we really have any proof of her having an ED, in response to you saying that you hopes she admits she has BED, which implies that you are assume she has it.

#88 GingerRoo

GingerRoo

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:27 PM

I read a lot of celebrity gossip rags, and fashion is an interest of mine- including models. TH is the ultimate attention whore. She'll say and do some ridiculous things to get an article in The Sun, or to trend on Twitter. I've NEVER seen her show any interest in dieting. She likes to stuff her face, and disregards the consequences with HAAS bullshit. I think some of the AN criteria is wrong and the criteria should be relaxed to maybe a BMI of 18 or so with special considerations for previously obese people who lost a lot of weight unhealthily in a short amount of time, but TH is NO WHERE near that. She's obese. Maybe morbidly obese. That's incompatible with AN.

Also, she's an awful mother, and I'm shocked of all these people want to champion and defend her.

What’s the tea around her being a bad mother? I haven’t heard that yet and TH gossip used to be my guilty pleasure.

Also, I adore your username and profile pic. The Book Thief is my favorite book.

#89 gosling

gosling

tranorexic trainwreck

• Accountability access
  • 1468 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:40 PM

anorwreck.

Is that what Good Anas wear in the rain?
  • saraaaaaa and igevhy like this

your local strange and unwelcome presence

they/them

CW: 50kg - GW: 45kg

Going through and deleting some of my posts because of this VS bullshit, please excuse any blanks

#90 tea-and-owls

tea-and-owls

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationEarth (Unfortunately)

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:17 PM

I'm honestly beyond pissed off with people complaining about the anorexia nervosa criteria. It's a medical diagnosis just like all others. Anorexia is not "better", it doesn't make you special, it just helps doctors pinpoint what kind of treatment you need. When you're very underweight, it has physical and cognitive effects that are different from if you're not. Nobody is "gatekeeping", people are just putting the AN diagnosis on a freaky pedestal.
  • catgomeow likes this
Diagnoses: Anorexia Nervosa, Bipolar Disorder
released from treatment: 24 February 2015
lw: 92 lbs (bmi 13.59)
height: 5'10" weight: 149.8 lb (bmi 21.49) hahaha i am disgusting
goal weight: 115 lb (bmi 16.98) i can't go back to treatment

#91 sophieshungry

sophieshungry

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Locationmaryland

Posted 08 July 2021 - 10:21 PM

for atyp. AN you need to lose a “significant amount of weight” while remaining at a normal/overweight BMI. she hasn’t lost a visible amount of weight, like, at all. if anything she’s gained. so she could definitely have some sort of restrictive ED (even if i doubt it, because surely you’d lose some weight if you’re that heavy and consistently restricting?) but there’s no possible way it’s anorexia

• littlelightweight likes this

WARNING: Don't feed the EDs!

#92 internetwh0re

internetwh0re

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1905 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 04:34 PM

I mean I think objectively not everything is equally severe. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t deserve help though.

I think if Tess has BED, yes she should get help, but I don’t think there’s much proof behind that besides the fact that she’s fat. We don’t know if she eats large amounts uncontrollably or not. We don’t know if she purges (which would mean bulimia, not BED). There’s no telling what she has or doesn’t have, besides not having anorexia nervosa.

It depends on how you define severe. Anorexia has a higher death rate. BED and AN-bp probably have more behaviour-based functional impairment while AN probably has more physical health related functional impairment. That’s generalizing a ton obviously. Everyone is different

#93 dreamsynopsis

dreamsynopsis

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2083 posts
  • Locationthe heights

Posted 15 July 2021 - 05:39 PM

I read a lot of celebrity gossip rags, and fashion is an interest of mine- including models. TH is the ultimate attention whore. She'll say and do some ridiculous things to get an article in The Sun, or to trend on Twitter. I've NEVER seen her show any interest in dieting. She likes to stuff her face, and disregards the consequences with HAAS bullshit. I think some of the AN criteria is wrong and the criteria should be relaxed to maybe a BMI of 18 or so with special considerations for previously obese people who lost a lot of weight unhealthily in a short amount of time, but TH is NO WHERE near that. She's obese. Maybe morbidly obese. That's incompatible with AN.

Also, she's an awful mother, and I'm shocked of all these people want to champion and defend her.

curious what the tea is about her parenting. she has let her oldest son become pretty overweight (no surprise there) and i consider that child abuse. childhood obesity is so sad, it’s setting him up for health problems and bad habits he’ll carry for life or just struggle to break. it’s just as bad as narcissistic moms keeping their daughters skinny. i don’t care what tess does with herself, but parents need to keep their kids healthy.

i want to commit, restricting is a compromise at this point.

15a-marlene-dietrich.jpg

Spoiler

#94 sophieshungry

sophieshungry

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Locationmaryland

Posted 17 July 2021 - 08:55 AM

to have AN, you need to be underweight. to have atyp-AN, you need to lose a significant amount of weight in a short time. if that had happened to her, we would know, seeing as she posts her entire body on instagram every couple of days. i followed her for the longest time. i never noticed anything of the sort. it's quite possible she's struggled with restriction. i don't doubt it. but i think it's more likely she had mild disordered eating OR struggled with a binge-fast/binge-restrict cycle. 

WARNING: Don't feed the EDs!

#95 Fatt Unnicornn 87

Fatt Unnicornn 87

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:39 PM

It’s bullshit! Behaviour that doesn’t align with the claim makes it a flimsy claim. In the past she has said that she wanted to gain weight more than anything and always eats on camera. Besides, she has a past of lying about what she does for attention once she begins to fade into irrelevancy. I really fucking hate Tess Holiday. She makes a mockery of every single one of us who are actually struggling, especially the ones who are overweight or obese.

#96 ShyButStillHere

ShyButStillHere

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:12 PM

She's lost no weight, feels no shame or guilt about being fat, regularly posts photos and videos of herself eating cakes and pizza. Atypical anorexia is serious, but you do have to eat less to have it. Or at least feel a sense of shame or guilt about being fat. There's no such thing as fat-positive anorexia.

_________ :wub:_________

SW/HW: 110 lbs / 49 kg

CW: 83 lbs / 38 kg

UGW: 75 lbs / 34 kg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users