High cal but low volume binge? Will I gain? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

High cal but low volume binge? Will I gain?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Katie13smith

Katie13smith

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:20 PM

So I know the question sounds stupid. But like, I binged on biscoff spread today (I knew I shouldn't have bought it). I had like 1/4 of the jar in a binge (I didn't eat except for that binge), and I purged down to near my morning weight...But then I just ended up eating like another 1/2 the jar because I'm fckng stupid. It's so hard to purge so I really don't want to but I'm so scared of seeing the scale go up because I was finally at a weight that's my lowest in months. I'm thinking, 1/2 the jar is like over 1000 cals but under 200grams. So in terms of scale weight...do you think it will really make a huge difference if I don't purge it??? But at the same time my brain is SCREAMING that that was way too many calories and if I don't purge I'll gain like 8lbs overnight...helpppp

Age: 21 - Height: 5'3 - CW: 103.5lbs - Next GW: 100 lbs - UGW: 84 lbs - LW: 92lbs

#2 1-800-monimoni

1-800-monimoni

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:25 PM

That shits cocaine to me dude lol for realsies tho, i used to binge on that and pb once in a while and i never went up on the scale too much. You might be a bit constipated the next day but otherwise it might only be a lb or even less since its just that. I promise it wont be anything near 8 lbs c:
  • Katie13smith likes this

#3 Katie13smith

Katie13smith

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:26 PM

That shits cocaine to me dude lol for realsies tho, i used to binge on that and pb once in a while and i never went up on the scale too much. You might be a bit constipated the next day but otherwise it might only be a lb or even less since its just that. I promise it wont be anything near 8 lbs c:

Ahh hopefully! And ikr!! Anyone who can eat that stuff in moderation is not human I swear

• 1-800-monimoni and helenaviya like this

Age: 21 - Height: 5'3 - CW: 103.5lbs - Next GW: 100 lbs - UGW: 84 lbs - LW: 92lbs

#4 1-800-monimoni

1-800-monimoni

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:28 PM

Ahh hopefully! And ikr!! Anyone who can eat that stuff in moderation is not human I swear

Fucking agree 😂
  • Katie13smith likes this

#5 e.mnam.e

e.mnam.e

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:37 PM

So I know the question sounds stupid. But like, I binged on biscoff spread today (I knew I shouldn't have bought it). I had like 1/4 of the jar in a binge (I didn't eat except for that binge), and I purged down to near my morning weight...But then I just ended up eating like another 1/2 the jar because I'm fckng stupid. It's so hard to purge so I really don't want to but I'm so scared of seeing the scale go up because I was finally at a weight that's my lowest in months. I'm thinking, 1/2 the jar is like over 1000 cals but under 200grams. So in terms of scale weight...do you think it will really make a huge difference if I don't purge it??? But at the same time my brain is SCREAMING that that was way too many calories and if I don't purge I'll gain like 8lbs overnight...helpppp

Fluid weight aside, no, it shouldn't make a large difference at all. Let's math (or science) it out. ;)

I'll use 200g as the weight of the Biscoff here, just because that's what you used. Okay:

-1) Worst case scenario (which it's not, because Biscoff has some carbs and protein, not just fat), 200g of Biscoff (or any food) could have a maximum of 1800kcal (200g x 9kcal/g). 

-2) A pound of fat is made up of 4086kcal (454g x 9kcal/g). 

-3) 1800kcal(amount eaten)/4086kcal(pound of fat worth) = 0.4405286343(...)

-4) 0.4405286343(...) x 454g = 200g

-5) So, the most that you can logically gain from 200g of Biscoff (or any food) is 200g of fat. 

If you want to use 3500kcal = 1lb of fat, then the maximum would be 233.49g, but that's probably less accurate, and sort of assumes that matter is being created out of nowhere. There's a fair amount out there written about how the 3500kcal=1lb thing is not scientifically accurate and is probably too low, even based on the assumptions used to create it. 

• Katie13smith and poisonedminds like this

#6 kitkat27

kitkat27

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5458 posts
  • LocationLothlórien

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:35 PM

Fluid weight aside, no, it shouldn't make a large difference at all. Let's math (or science) it out. ;)

I'll use 200g as the weight of the Biscoff here, just because that's what you used. Okay:
-1) Worst case scenario (which it's not, because Biscoff has some carbs and protein, not just fat), 200g of Biscoff (or any food) could have a maximum of 1800kcal (200g x 9kcal/g).
-2) A pound of fat is made up of 4086kcal (454g x 9kcal/g).
-3) 1800kcal(amount eaten)/4086kcal(pound of fat worth) = 0.4405286343(...)
-4) 0.4405286343(...) x 454g = 200g
-5) So, the most that you can logically gain from 200g of Biscoff (or any food) is 200g of fat.

If you want to use 3500kcal = 1lb of fat, then the maximum would be 233.49g, but that's probably less accurate, and sort of assumes that matter is being created out of nowhere. There's a fair amount out there written about how the 3500kcal=1lb thing is not scientifically accurate and is probably too low, even based on the assumptions used to create it.

This doesn’t take TDEE into account though. It’s highly likely that OP’s TDEE is at least 1500, meaning that it’s less than 300 calories over maintenance, so 300/4086 = 0.07lbs, or 30g
Spoiler

#7 kitkat27

kitkat27

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5458 posts
  • LocationLothlórien

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:41 PM

In terms of actual weight gain, I highly doubt you’ll gain anything. The calculations above are overestimating the total cals you consumed, so if the worse case scenario of the overestimation is 30g, that means you’re more than likely at maintenance or in a deficit.
In terms of food weight, it’s hard to say. It really depends on how quickly your body is able to process the biscoff spread, so you might be back to baseline tomorrow but it might take another day. If seeing the temporary food weight gain will be distressing for you, I’d highly recommend taking a break from weighing just for a day or two to make sure your weight has time to stabilize.
Spoiler

#8 e.mnam.e

e.mnam.e

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 04:55 AM

This doesn’t take TDEE into account though. It’s highly likely that OP’s TDEE is at least 1500, meaning that it’s less than 300 calories over maintenance, so 300/4086 = 0.07lbs, or 30g

Yeah, sorry - I wasn't trying to actually estimate how much OP could gain, just what the maximum gain would be from that quantity of food if it was all in excess of someone's calorie expenditure (i.e. worst case scenario). I should have stated that. 

• kitkat27 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users