I'm honestly scared I'm dying slowly - Illness or Injury - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

I'm honestly scared I'm dying slowly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lyyyric__

Lyyyric__

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:24 AM

I'm probably just a hypochondriac, but I have felt this way for months when my anxiety gets really bad my heart palpitations get worse and my breathing fucks up, and I can't stop my panic attack from getting worse and my hands go numb. I've been on meds for almost a year (Lexapro for 7 months, Zoloft since) and nothing is helping and I'm scared to even try anything else. What if it isn't even anxiety what if it's something worse. And I know I sound crazy so I don't even want to tell my doctor.

#2 amitoughenough

amitoughenough

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:43 PM

:(  my therapist told me that meds don't work unless you eat enough, but i'm not sure if that was just said to encourage me to eat more tbh.  that's the shitty thing about EDs though -- it could just be anxiety or something could be wrong.  I don't know what ED you have and what behaviors you use but I know when i restrict too low I get panic attacks and my anxiety skyrockets.  Getting checked out from a doctor and getting labs and stuff done probably wouldn't be the worst idea... at the very least you could calm your anxiety a bit

she/her | vague on purpose | mid-20s | short

- - - - - - 

tw for stats

Spoiler

#3 chasingcalm

chasingcalm

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1333 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:52 PM

Have you had vitals/bloodwork/EKG done recently? It's not a bad idea to do those things routinely with an ED. If you have and your doctor says you are okay, I would try not to worry. Anxiety can do crazy things to our bodies. Have you tried a beta blocker? They are good especially for the physical symptoms of anxiety.

:(  my therapist told me that meds don't work unless you eat enough, but i'm not sure if that was just said to encourage me to eat more tbh.  that's the shitty thing about EDs though -- it could just be anxiety or something could be wrong.  I don't know what ED you have and what behaviors you use but I know when i restrict too low I get panic attacks and my anxiety skyrockets.  Getting checked out from a doctor and getting labs and stuff done probably wouldn't be the worst idea... at the very least you could calm your anxiety a bit

Your therapist was right. SSRIs (which this is usually in reference to) work by increasing the amount of serotonin in the synapse, the space between neurons, by blocking reuptake into the presynaptic neuron. In order for all of this to work, you have to have serotonin available and it is synthesized by the essential amino acid, meaning you have to get it from your diet, tryptophan. 

just a twenty-something trying to get her shit together

#4 Lyyyric__

Lyyyric__

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:25 PM

Have you had vitals/bloodwork/EKG done recently? It's not a bad idea to do those things routinely with an ED. If you have and your doctor says you are okay, I would try not to worry. Anxiety can do crazy things to our bodies. Have you tried a beta blocker? They are good especially for the physical symptoms of anxiety.

Your therapist was right. SSRIs (which this is usually in reference to) work by increasing the amount of serotonin in the synapse, the space between neurons, by blocking reuptake into the presynaptic neuron. In order for all of this to work, you have to have serotonin available and it is synthesized by the essential amino acid, meaning you have to get it from your diet, tryptophan.

I haven't had blood work done in years, I need to go but I don't have a primary doctor I could go to and ask, I'll ask my psych about it next time I see her, and I've never heard of beta blockers but I'll research

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users