Where are all of these -Rexia disorders coming from? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Where are all of these -Rexia disorders coming from?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:36 PM

It seems like they’re trying to make up all of these disorders and make them sound like anorexia by adding a different beginning to it, when it doesn’t even make sense. Anorexia is an eating disorder defined by by low calorie intake, “rexia” isn’t just a suffix you add to any bad eating behavior, but now we have pop psychologists making terms like drunkorexia, orthorexia, ect. I’ve even heard “tanorexia”, for people obsessed with tanning beds. It’s almost insensitive seeming, and linguistically it’s just stupid because anorexia is a full word that means lack of appetite. Imagine if they did the same with bipolar disorder-everything that involves mood swings ends with “olar”. It would sound really fucking stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • aSelfdestroyer, 2BeThinEnough, Rawar and 3 others like this

"Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you,

nice to know somebody loves me"

#2 Sugar_Witch

Sugar_Witch

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1480 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:41 PM

I do think drunkorexia makes sense, because if you replace food with alcohol thats clearly an eating disorder behavior. "Tanorexia" and other "rexias" have nothing to do with eating behaviors, body image, weight, or body dysmorphia so that shouldnt be a thing in my opinion.
  • blue.bays, Choco_Bitch_612, ekkiana and 5 others like this

#3 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:57 PM

I do think drunkorexia makes sense, because if you replace food with alcohol thats clearly an eating disorder behavior. "Tanorexia" and other "rexias" have nothing to do with eating behaviors, body image, weight, or body dysmorphia so that shouldnt be a thing in my opinion.

The drunk one seems like more of a substance abuse thing though? Like from what I read it was eating less so you could get drunk quick

• aSelfdestroyer and ravens_wing like this

#4 moonstones

moonstones

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Location🪴

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:16 PM

“Drunkorexia” does sound insensitive, like magazine cover dumb, and it is not a recognized disorder. More like a term for a behavior an eating disordered person is using to lose weight. It should be recognized, but differently.

“Orthorexia” has not struck me as insensitive, although now that I looked up some of the roots of these words... it does not make total sense. Again, more of an unhealthy obsession that crosses over into an existing eating disorder. I am glad doctors at least take that seriously these days, though.
  • jpi332 likes this

#5 Sugar_Witch

Sugar_Witch

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1480 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:16 PM

The drunk one seems like more of a substance abuse thing though? Like from what I read it was eating less so you could get drunk quick

It honestly blurs the lines between eating disorder behaviors and substance abuse. I dont drunkorexia is a diagnosis/subtype, but I think orthorexic is? I could be wrong.
  • ravens_wing and crunchyy like this

#6 TinyCray

TinyCray

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13414 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:30 PM

Apparently there’s also “megarexia” which is when overweight/obese people don’t see themselves as big despite their big bmi and tendency to eat big amounts of food / junk foods lol
  • Detective L likes this

d1fmf3u-91a3d385-ff96-4194-affd-2db45b47

F / 24 / INFP / European
Undiagnosed but possibly: 
AN-r and C-PTSD

Stats in the spoiler

d64rsq8-bd8557f3-bead-483c-9430-dcc52db5

Spoiler

#7 mn23

mn23

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1910 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:31 PM

9 months ago psych 2 go made a video of lesser known eating disorders, 50% were accurate and like 50% is them just adding -rexia to the end of words
  • jpi332 likes this

#8 SassyKitten27

SassyKitten27

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:37 PM

It seems like they’re trying to make up all of these disorders and make them sound like anorexia by adding a different beginning to it, when it doesn’t even make sense. Anorexia is an eating disorder defined by by low calorie intake, “rexia” isn’t just a suffix you add to any bad eating behavior, but now we have pop psychologists making terms like drunkorexia, orthorexia, ect. I’ve even heard “tanorexia”, for people obsessed with tanning beds. It’s almost insensitive seeming, and linguistically it’s just stupid because anorexia is a full word that means lack of appetite. Imagine if they did the same with bipolar disorder-everything that involves mood swings ends with “olar”. It would sound really fucking stupid.

I get your point but they already do that with bipolar. Like when people say omg this weather is so bipolar.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

#9 ☆PaisleySky☆

☆PaisleySky☆

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2163 posts
  • LocationPNW🌲

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:20 PM

If you break it down, the word “anorexia” just means “no appetite” (with the prefix an- meaning without, and orexis meaning appetite.) The word orthorexia makes perfect sense to me, with “ortho” meaning straight or correct (as in orthodox, for example) and “orthorexia” being a fixation with eating how they perceive to be the “correct” way. Other words, like bigorexia, make less sense from an etymology standpoint - but bigorexia IS a real disorder, more accurately known as muscle dysmorphia, and can fall under the ED umbrella. I think “tanorexia” is a weird one because it doesn’t pertain to eating or appetite at all and therefore the “orexis” root word doesn’t serve any purpose. But from what I understand, people use it to indicate a compulsive or addictive behavior, coupled with a skewed perception of their appearance, similar to what is common in EDs. I don’t really find it offensive personally, it just indicates a lack of understanding of etymology.
I also use “junkorexia” to describe my eating habits because my appetite consists of food that isn’t particularly healthy - but in quantities that are restrictive, and I have also been diagnosed with Anorexia. It’s mostly a joke. I think most people realize “junkorexia” isn’t an official diagnosis lol let alone something like “tanorexia”. I would however argue that some “tanorexics” may be suffering from some kind of BDD.
  • existentialplastic, Choco_Bitch_612, kitkat27 and 13 others like this

5'2"

CW 101 lbs 🐳

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

✨Watch my relapse here✨

#10 voidsugar

voidsugar

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:25 PM

If you break it down, the word “anorexia” just means “no appetite” (with the prefix an- meaning without, and orexis meaning appetite.) The word orthorexia makes perfect sense to me, with “ortho” meaning straight or correct (as in orthodox, for example) and “orthorexia” being a fixation with eating how they perceive to be the “correct” way. Other words, like bigorexia, make less sense from an etymology standpoint - but bigorexia IS a real disorder, more accurately known as muscle dysmorphia, and can fall under the ED umbrella. I think “tanorexia” is a weird one because it doesn’t pertain to eating or appetite at all and therefore the “orexis” root word doesn’t serve any purpose. But from what I understand, people use it to indicate a compulsive or addictive behavior, coupled with a skewed perception of their appearance, similar to what is common in EDs. I don’t really find it offensive personally, it just indicates a lack of understanding of etymology.
I also use “junkorexia” to describe my eating habits because my appetite consists of food that isn’t particularly healthy - but in quantities that are restrictive, and I have also been diagnosed with Anorexia. It’s mostly a joke. I think most people realize “junkorexia” isn’t an official diagnosis lol let alone something like “tanorexia”. I would however argue that some “tanorexics” may be suffering from some kind of BDD.

This is very well put, thank you! I feel like words get easily lost in this everchanging internet culture where serious things lose their meaning. For example describing people really enjoying something unconventional as ”autistic”. It’s offensive by nature to the sufferers but it’s the internet so who cares kind of thing :/
  • Detective L likes this

1a31148655285f1ed7bafaf647e0c2bd.gif

𝔖𝔲𝔪𝔪𝔢𝔯'𝔰 𝔥𝔬𝔱 𝔟𝔲𝔱 ℑ'𝔳𝔢 𝔟𝔢𝔢𝔫 𝔠𝔬𝔩𝔡 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥𝔬𝔲𝔱 𝔶𝔬𝔲
ℑ 𝔴𝔞𝔰 𝔰𝔬 𝔴𝔯𝔬𝔫𝔤 𝔫𝔬𝔱 𝔱𝔬 𝔱𝔢𝔩𝔩, ℑ'𝔪 𝔦𝔫 𝔯𝔢𝔤𝔦𝔫𝔢, 𝔱𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔫𝔢 𝔡𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔪𝔰

#11 ☆PaisleySky☆

☆PaisleySky☆

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2163 posts
  • LocationPNW🌲

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:33 PM

This is very well put, thank you! I feel like words get easily lost in this everchanging internet culture where serious things lose their meaning. For example describing people really enjoying something unconventional as ”autistic”. It’s offensive by nature to the sufferers but it’s the internet so who cares kind of thing :/

Oof yes, the whole calling someone “autistic” or an “autist” as an insult is so horrible and insensitive. You see that kind of thing a lot in spaces like 4chan and it makes me cringe so hard.
  • Choco_Bitch_612, Detective L and voidsugar like this

5'2"

CW 101 lbs 🐳

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

✨Watch my relapse here✨

#12 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:36 PM

It honestly blurs the lines between eating disorder behaviors and substance abuse. I dont drunkorexia is a diagnosis/subtype, but I think orthorexic is? I could be wrong.

Yeah it seems more like a behavior than a disorder

#13 givemewingsplease

givemewingsplease

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:39 PM

orthorexia has been a thing for at least 10 years, the other ones are newer 

• Choco_Bitch_612 and Sasha_Ascendant like this

CW-143

GW-120

UGW-115

SW-164

LW-89

Height-5'5

He/Him

*Skinny, not dead*

Accountability

#14 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:40 PM

Apparently there’s also “megarexia” which is when overweight/obese people don’t see themselves as big despite their big bmi and tendency to eat big amounts of food / junk foods lol

Lol, I’ve also heard of reverse dysmorphia.

Another one is “bigorexia”, a dumb name for what is actually known as body dysmorphia or muscular dysmorphia. It’s weird again, because that’s a form of body image issue, not an appetite disorder. Its just people see boil down anorexia as “skinny chick who think she’s fat” so they see a big person who thinks they are slim and think it’s just “opposite anorexia”.

#15 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:41 PM

I get your point but they already do that with bipolar. Like when people say omg this weather is so bipolar.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Yeah but they don’t make extra mental disorders or new words that sound like bipolar.

#16 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:49 PM

It’s weird though because just because something has to do with body dysmorphia it doesn’t mean it’s the same as anorexia, it almost seems like it’s just trying to do a ~quirky~ play on words when they do “tanorexia” or whatever.

“Junkorexia” is kinda sarcastic from what I understand-it’s used by anorexics who only eat junk food and people aren’t trying to make it a new disorder. It’s also kinda a niche thing in anorexia groups, google tanorexia though and a dictionary definition comes up….it has nothing to do with anorexia and is kinda an outside-world term..

With “drunkorexia”, people are trying to make it a disorder, which seems a bit weird. For one, it seems like restricting a bit to save money on alcohol is pretty common, in like college students. It probably isn’t an ideal behavior, but I don’t think that it’s automatically full blown disorder, maybe just disordered. Otherwise, a huge percentage of people would have an ED which seems a bit like normalizing it, they aren’t really that common and not every bad individual behavior= mental disorder that takes over your life. In some cases it can probably be a symptom of alcoholism, but idk about it being a disorder of its own.

Also, imagine your doctor telling you “after careful analysis of your test results, we diagnose you with drunkorexia”. I’d crack up, it’s such a pop psychology term.

#17 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:53 PM

9 months ago psych 2 go made a video of lesser known eating disorders, 50% were accurate and like 50% is them just adding -rexia to the end of words

I fucking hate psych2go. All my homies hate psych2go.

Literally, one video was titled “signs someone with depression likes you”. What, people with depression are a monolith now? A different species with a distinct language? And ofc the thumbnail was of a dude in a black hoodie, because black hoodie=depression.

• with.a.fada likes this

#18 ☆PaisleySky☆

☆PaisleySky☆

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2163 posts
  • LocationPNW🌲

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:21 PM

It’s weird though because just because something has to do with body dysmorphia it doesn’t mean it’s the same as anorexia, it almost seems like it’s just trying to do a ~quirky~ play on words when they do “tanorexia” or whatever.
“Junkorexia” is kinda sarcastic from what I understand-it’s used by anorexics who only eat junk food and people aren’t trying to make it a new disorder. It’s also kinda a niche thing in anorexia groups, google tanorexia though and a dictionary definition comes up….it has nothing to do with anorexia and is kinda an outside-world term..
With “drunkorexia”, people are trying to make it a disorder, which seems a bit weird. For one, it seems like restricting a bit to save money on alcohol is pretty common, in like college students. It probably isn’t an ideal behavior, but I don’t think that it’s automatically full blown disorder, maybe just disordered. Otherwise, a huge percentage of people would have an ED which seems a bit like normalizing it, they aren’t really that common and not every bad individual behavior= mental disorder that takes over your life. In some cases it can probably be a symptom of alcoholism, but idk about it being a disorder of its own.
Also, imagine your doctor telling you “after careful analysis of your test results, we diagnose you with drunkorexia”. I’d crack up, it’s such a pop psychology term.

Yeah Junkorexia is mostly ironic, at least in the way I use the term. It’s a way of saying I am an anorexic who eats junk food, but very little overall. Similarly, I actually thought “drunkorexia” was in the same vein as “junkorexia” in the sense that it’s mostly used in ED spaces, by people who have an ED, to describe specifics of their disorder ie anorexia (or another ED) + alcoholism. Meaning the majority or a large chunk of their calories come from alcohol, and they might fast or eat very little actual food to “make room” for alcohol calories/binge drinking while still technically restricting. Their official diagnosis would not be “drunkorexia” since it’s not an officially recognized ED subtype, but it would likely be some kind of ED (AN or OSFED probably) and maybe also a comorbid substance use disorder. I wasn’t aware of the term being used in a different context like saving money to buy alcohol. I think there actually is a “drunkorexics unite” thread on here btw and that’s the only time I’ve ever heard of it. I don’t really think anyone is trying to make new disorders, either - rather these are just unofficial terms for existing disorders or describing specific behaviors within existing disorders. Like, if you have “bigorexia” you will likely be diagnosed with something like BDD or muscle dysmorphia (which is absolutely a real thing) and perhaps OSFED if it is resulting in disordered eating. I have been in treatment with patients who suffer from this, and they DO have a legitimate and serious ED. There are members on this site who fall in this category as well and could probably explain it better than me.
You’re right that words like “tanorexia” really don’t make sense - BDD ≠ Anorexia, although I understand how someone might be able to draw similarities between EDs and tanning addiction given that BDD and compulsiveness is often present in both.
  • Choco_Bitch_612, kitkat27, TinyCray and 1 other like this

5'2"

CW 101 lbs 🐳

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

✨Watch my relapse here✨

#19 Midorirose

Midorirose

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4135 posts
  • LocationYour local pond

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:48 PM

If you’re talking about randomly pinning rexia on the back of words to address am addiction to something lightheartedly then yeah I think it’s the same thing when everyone capitalized and called every day behavior adhd or ocd Bc it was trendy vernacular lol
  • jpi332 likes this

#20 PillPrincess

PillPrincess

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:28 AM

Like from what I read it was eating less so you could get drunk quick

not always. Like in my case, I use alcohol as an appetite suppressant. It’s just a bonus that I can get tipsy on a small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users