Where are all of these -Rexia disorders coming from? - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Where are all of these -Rexia disorders coming from?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 PillPrincess

PillPrincess

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:38 AM

I’ve also seen threads on here about how tanning makes you look slimmer/more toned. Not sure if I’d consider it an “orexia” though since it doesn’t have anything to do with appetite.

Orthorexia does make sense; however, it’s not in the DSM as it’s own disorder. Idk if it’s even technically diagnosable?

Aaaand I just learned of a new one :( Pregorexia

#22 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:27 AM

I’ve also seen threads on here about how tanning makes you look slimmer/more toned. Not sure if I’d consider it an “orexia” though since it doesn’t have anything to do with appetite.

Orthorexia does make sense; however, it’s not in the DSM as it’s own disorder. Idk if it’s even technically diagnosable?

Aaaand I just learned of a new one :( Pregorexia

Tanorexia has nothing to do with anorexia-it’s basically just when people think they are pale and tan a lot.

Pregorexia….? Is that when people restrict when pregnant? Or when people are addicted to being perpetually pregnant like Michelle Duggar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you,

nice to know somebody loves me"

#23 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1600 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:29 AM

Yeah Junkorexia is mostly ironic, at least in the way I use the term. It’s a way of saying I am an anorexic who eats junk food, but very little overall. Similarly, I actually thought “drunkorexia” was in the same vein as “junkorexia” in the sense that it’s mostly used in ED spaces, by people who have an ED, to describe specifics of their disorder ie anorexia (or another ED) + alcoholism. Meaning the majority or a large chunk of their calories come from alcohol, and they might fast or eat very little actual food to “make room” for alcohol calories/binge drinking while still technically restricting. Their official diagnosis would not be “drunkorexia” since it’s not an officially recognized ED subtype, but it would likely be some kind of ED (AN or OSFED probably) and maybe also a comorbid substance use disorder. I wasn’t aware of the term being used in a different context like saving money to buy alcohol. I think there actually is a “drunkorexics unite” thread on here btw and that’s the only time I’ve ever heard of it. I don’t really think anyone is trying to make new disorders, either - rather these are just unofficial terms for existing disorders or describing specific behaviors within existing disorders. Like, if you have “bigorexia” you will likely be diagnosed with something like BDD or muscle dysmorphia (which is absolutely a real thing) and perhaps OSFED if it is resulting in disordered eating. I have been in treatment with patients who suffer from this, and they DO have a legitimate and serious ED. There are members on this site who fall in this category as well and could probably explain it better than me.
You’re right that words like “tanorexia” really don’t make sense - BDD ≠ Anorexia, although I understand how someone might be able to draw similarities between EDs and tanning addiction given that BDD and compulsiveness is often present in both.

Oh no I’ve definitely seen a tiktok that’s like “do you have this uncommon eating disorder called drunkorexia?”, acting like it’s a diagnoses on its own. I’ve also seen Instagram posts that refer to it similarly. and everyone in the comments self dx’s saying “uh doesn’t everyone restrict some to save money on alcohol”, and they’re all basically being told they have an ED along the lines of anorexia lmao.

#24 kitkat27

kitkat27

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5458 posts
  • LocationLothlórien

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:04 AM

I think it makes sense in certain contexts. When people literally try to pass these things off as actual diagnoses, it sounds ridiculous. But when used in ED spaces to describe behaviors (like, personally I consider myself a “junkorexic” bc I do restrict but all my cals come from “junk food”) then I think it’s okay.

“Tanorexia” has never made sense to me though. At least the other “-rexias” have something to do with eating habits, but this one purely sounds like a BDD-related obsession.
  • Choco_Bitch_612 likes this
Spoiler

#25 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1600 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:05 AM

I think it makes sense in certain contexts. When people literally try to pass these things off as actual diagnoses, it sounds ridiculous. But when used in ED spaces to describe behaviors (like, personally I consider myself a “junkorexic” bc I do restrict but all my cals come from “junk food”) then I think it’s okay.

“Tanorexia” has never made sense to me though. At least the other “-rexias” have something to do with eating habits, but this one purely sounds like a BDD-related obsession.

Yeah, in ed spaces it’s all a joke. Junkorexia refers to someone with anorexia who eats unhealthily. It’s not like a separate disorder

• kitkat27 likes this

#26 ☆PaisleySky☆

☆PaisleySky☆

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1931 posts
  • LocationPNW🌲

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:17 PM

Oh no I’ve definitely seen a tiktok that’s like “do you have this uncommon eating disorder called drunkorexia?”, acting like it’s a diagnoses on its own. I’ve also seen Instagram posts that refer to it similarly. and everyone in the comments self dx’s saying “uh doesn’t everyone restrict some to save money on alcohol”, and they’re all basically being told they have an ED along the lines of anorexia lmao.

Well tiktok is dumb, what else is new lol

Pregorexia….? Is that when people restrict when pregnant? Or when people are addicted to being perpetually pregnant like Michelle Duggar?

My first thought was actually “eats pregnant people” 🤭

Diabulimia is another one, while not an officially recognized diagnosis on its own - it’s used to describe someone with an ED + diabetes, who withholds insulin to lose weight which is VERY dangerous.
  • kitkat27 and LedaFae like this

5'2"

CW 108 lbs 🐳

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

✨Watch my relapse here✨

#27 ☆PaisleySky☆

☆PaisleySky☆

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1931 posts
  • LocationPNW🌲

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:27 PM

5'2"

CW 108 lbs 🐳

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

✨Watch my relapse here✨

#28 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1600 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:39 PM

Well tiktok is dumb, what else is new lol

My first thought was actually “eats pregnant people”

Diabulimia is another one, while not an officially recognized diagnosis on its own - it’s used to describe someone with an ED + diabetes, who withholds insulin to lose weight which is VERY dangerous.

Yeah, I heard of diabulimia , and apparently some people are now saying it’s the deadliest Ed because of some video that was published with that term. It seems like it wouldn’t be a dx of its own though-it’s just a certain type of purging behavior that bulimics and anorexics with diabetes engage in, but purging is already a large category that can include lax, emetics, diuretics, ect, they aren’t all illnesses of their own.

• ☆PaisleySky☆ likes this

#29 ☆PaisleySky☆

☆PaisleySky☆

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1931 posts
  • LocationPNW🌲

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, I heard of diabulimia , and apparently some people are now saying it’s the deadliest Ed because of some video that was published with that term. It seems like it wouldn’t be a dx of its own though-it’s just a certain type of purging behavior that bulimics and anorexics with diabetes engage in, but purging is already a large category that can include lax, emetics, diuretics, ect, they aren’t all illnesses of their own.

Yeah none of these are illnesses of their own. Just unofficial subtypes. Of the few people I know who have diabulimia, both were diagnosed with EDNOS/OSFED on paper, but would often identify their ED as diabulimia simply because it gave more insight into the mechanics of their disorder. I definitely believe it could be one if not THE deadliest ED too. Uncontrolled type 1 diabetes can kill you VERY fast.
  • kitkat27 likes this

5'2"

CW 108 lbs 🐳

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

✨Watch my relapse here✨

#30 Pioumi

Pioumi

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1764 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:10 AM

Isn't it simply an etymology thing?
"rexis" in Greek meaning "appetite", it does make sense in orthorexia for example
  • LedaFae likes this

Stats

Currently fluctuating around BMI 12.5

Height: 5'6 (168 cm)

Lowest BMI: 10.1

UGW: recovered?

[last edited: July 2021]

#31 ekkiana

ekkiana

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1057 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:19 AM

I personally don't care that much, but I've come a LONG way and it's not as important to me as an identity. But I can absolutely agree that it is somewhat insensitive to sufferers of Anorexia.
  • Choco_Bitch_612 likes this

Height: 170.5cm (5’7”)
HW: 84kg (BMI 29) - Overweight
SW: 73kg (BMI 25) - Overweight
CW: Was 73kg (BMI 25) - Overweight
GW: 55kg (BMI 19) - Healthy Weight
UGW: 35kg (BMI 12) - Underweight
LW: 40kg (BMI 14) - Very Underweight
“Anorexic” GW: 39kg (BMI <14) (I just kind of want to say I got into the 30’s but also I know that’s really dangerous!)

#32 PillPrincess

PillPrincess

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:37 AM

Tanorexia has nothing to do with anorexia-it’s basically just when people think they are pale and tan a lot.

yes, I agree, tanorexia is a dumb term for sure; there are people who think it makes them look skinnier/more toned. This thread discusses it a little bit. So there are people out there who don’t do it just because they think they’re too pale.. they just think they look fatter when pale, ig.
https://www.myproana...1#entry75335511

And apparently pregorexia is when someone tries to control weight gain while pregnant :/ it’s obviously NOT diagnosable, tho. Just like all these other terms.

#33 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1600 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:39 AM

Isn't it simply an etymology thing?
"rexis" in Greek meaning "appetite", it does make sense in orthorexia for example

Yeah, I suppose orthorexia makes sense? The others don’t though.

#34 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1600 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:41 AM

Yeah none of these are illnesses of their own. Just unofficial subtypes. Of the few people I know who have diabulimia, both were diagnosed with EDNOS/OSFED on paper, but would often identify their ED as diabulimia simply because it gave more insight into the mechanics of their disorder. I definitely believe it could be one if not THE deadliest ED too. Uncontrolled type 1 diabetes can kill you VERY fast.

Yeah, it probably is super deadly, but would it be an ED or a form of purging present in other EDs that are already in existence? ipecac use is also super deadly, and if it was a specific type of Ed, it would probably be the deadliest. But ipecac isn’t a bulimia subtype, it’s a form of purging present in the bulimia-purging subtype, among others. The dual diagnosis of bulimia/anorexia and diabetes is definitely more dangerous than either alone, but some people are treating them like three separate things, like you can either have bulimia, anorexia, or diabulimia.

#35 ☆PaisleySky☆

☆PaisleySky☆

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1931 posts
  • LocationPNW🌲

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:02 PM

Yeah, it probably is super deadly, but would it be an ED or a form of purging present in other EDs that are already in existence? ipecac use is also super deadly, and if it was a specific type of Ed, it would probably be the deadliest. But ipecac isn’t a bulimia subtype, it’s a form of purging present in the bulimia-purging subtype, among others. The dual diagnosis of bulimia/anorexia and diabetes is definitely more dangerous than either alone, but some people are treating them like three separate things, like you can either have bulimia, anorexia, or diabulimia.

I think you’re assuming that just because there is a specific word to describe something, it means it’s a separate disorder, and that’s not the case. Words are just used for clarity. For someone with diabulimia, the withholding of insulin is a significant factor in their eating disorder and it’s convenient to say “diabulimia” instead of “AN/OSFED/BN complicated by uncontrolled T1 diabetes” even though on paper these two things would be diagnosed independently. Of the people I’ve known with an ED complicated by T1 diabetes, they usually simply say “ED/Eating Disorder” when referring to their ED, but occasionally say “diabulimia” when the context deems it relevant. I don’t believe anyone is claiming these are new or separate disorders. You can have Anorexia/Bulimia/OSFED and also have diabulimia, just like you can have Anorexia/OSFED and identify as Junkorexic or Orthorexic as well (usually jokingly for the former.) They’re not mutually exclusive. I think terms like “diabulimia”, “drunkorexia” etc are just terms people use to indicate that their ED (whatever DSM recognized ED that may be) is complicated by a comorbid disorder/illness such as diabetes or alcoholism - because that information feels relevant to convey sometimes. No one has made up a word for Bulimia with ipicac purging, most likely just because it’s less common of a phenomenon. But feel free to make one, if you want lol.
  • kitkat27, LedaFae and StarvingLlama*-* like this

5'2"

CW 108 lbs 🐳

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

✨Watch my relapse here✨

#36 Choco_Bitch_612

Choco_Bitch_612

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 9396 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:10 PM

Yeah Junkorexia is mostly ironic, at least in the way I use the term. It’s a way of saying I am an anorexic who eats junk food, but very little overall. Similarly, I actually thought “drunkorexia” was in the same vein as “junkorexia” in the sense that it’s mostly used in ED spaces, by people who have an ED, to describe specifics of their disorder ie anorexia (or another ED) + alcoholism. Meaning the majority or a large chunk of their calories come from alcohol, and they might fast or eat very little actual food to “make room” for alcohol calories/binge drinking while still technically restricting. Their official diagnosis would not be “drunkorexia” since it’s not an officially recognized ED subtype, but it would likely be some kind of ED (AN or OSFED probably) and maybe also a comorbid substance use disorder. I wasn’t aware of the term being used in a different context like saving money to buy alcohol. I think there actually is a “drunkorexics unite” thread on here btw and that’s the only time I’ve ever heard of it. I don’t really think anyone is trying to make new disorders, either - rather these are just unofficial terms for existing disorders or describing specific behaviors within existing disorders. Like, if you have “bigorexia” you will likely be diagnosed with something like BDD or muscle dysmorphia (which is absolutely a real thing) and perhaps OSFED if it is resulting in disordered eating. I have been in treatment with patients who suffer from this, and they DO have a legitimate and serious ED. There are members on this site who fall in this category as well and could probably explain it better than me.
You’re right that words like “tanorexia” really don’t make sense - BDD ≠ Anorexia, although I understand how someone might be able to draw similarities between EDs and tanning addiction given that BDD and compulsiveness is often present in both.

all of ur comments on this site are so well said

• kitkat27 and LedaFae like this
                                             tumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.gif                                                                                                        

H: 5'7.5 LW: 150 (2014) SW: 158 (2014)  HW: 216 (Dec. 2019..that's embarrassing) CW: 191.4

tenor.gif

Tumblrhttps://pastxlblues.tumblr.com/

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/ednos.bitch/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ednospoison 

Gw 1: 190 lbs (86 kg) BMI - 29.3

Gw 2: 180 lbs (82 kg) BMI - 27.8

Gw 3: 170 lbs (77 kg) BMI - 26.2

Gw 4: 160 lbs (73 kg) BMI - 24.7

Gw 5: 150 lbs (68 kg) BMI - 23.1

Gw 6: 140 lbs (64 kg) BMI - 21.6

Gw 7: 130 lbs (59 kg) BMI - 20.1

Gw 8: 120 lbs (54 kg) BMI - 18.5

UGW: 114 lbs(51 kg) BMI - 17.6 

MAINTAIN BETWEEN 107-114

tumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.gif 

Effy & Pandora 

Spoiler

Anime stuff

Spoiler

Korra stuff

Spoiler

Weight loss stuff

Spoiler

#37 Choco_Bitch_612

Choco_Bitch_612

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 9396 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:16 PM

i rlly don't think anyone who identifies with these terms is trying to invalidate anorexia or say they're diagnosible illnesses, they're just terms that help describe specific obsessive behaviors

i mean, there's an entire orthorexia subforum. that term has existed for a long time and plenty of people identify with it even if it isn't diagnosable

• ☆PaisleySky☆ and kitkat27 like this

H: 5'7.5 LW: 150 (2014) SW: 158 (2014)  HW: 216 (Dec. 2019..that's embarrassing) CW: 191.4

tenor.gif

Tumblrhttps://pastxlblues.tumblr.com/

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/ednos.bitch/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ednospoison 

Gw 1: 190 lbs (86 kg) BMI - 29.3

Gw 2: 180 lbs (82 kg) BMI - 27.8

Gw 3: 170 lbs (77 kg) BMI - 26.2

Gw 4: 160 lbs (73 kg) BMI - 24.7

Gw 5: 150 lbs (68 kg) BMI - 23.1

Gw 6: 140 lbs (64 kg) BMI - 21.6

Gw 7: 130 lbs (59 kg) BMI - 20.1

Gw 8: 120 lbs (54 kg) BMI - 18.5

UGW: 114 lbs(51 kg) BMI - 17.6 

MAINTAIN BETWEEN 107-114

Effy & Pandora 

Spoiler

Anime stuff

Spoiler

Korra stuff

Spoiler

Weight loss stuff

Spoiler

#38 skelliebelle

skelliebelle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3943 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:34 PM

Apparently there’s also “megarexia” which is when overweight/obese people don’t see themselves as big despite their big bmi and tendency to eat big amounts of food / junk foods lol

tessorexia lol

omg though i looked it up and 🤦‍♀️ "fatorexia" http://www.mediterra...3/14/megarexia/

#39 PillPrincess

PillPrincess

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:06 PM

Just saw another one on here.
Gamerexic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users