Trying keto ~ advice/ tips are welcome :) - Low Carb Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Trying keto ~ advice/ tips are welcome :)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Axellle

Axellle

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:25 PM

I didn't know much about keto but after reading some experiences and results, I really want to try this diet.
I've been binging like crazy this week and gained almost 4kg, I need to stop binging :(

I read somewhere that I should eat about 10% carbs, 70% fat and 20% protein.
I don't know how much I'm supposed to eat, I don't wanna eat more than 1000 kcal. Will it still be efficient?
I'll use this as an accountability

Stats:

Sw: 59kg?
Height: 160cm
Gw for 2 weeks: 54kg
Ugw: 42kg

hw: 65

lw: 52

gw 1: 58

gw 2: 54

gw 3: 50

gw 4: 46

ugw: 42

#2 SoManyCucumbers

SoManyCucumbers

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:29 PM

Avocados are going to be your best friend! I eat 2 a day usually, and it helps me stay under 1000 because they're so filling. I cut mine in half, sprinkle garlic salt on and put salsa in the middle. I haven't tracked macros in a while, but I'm generally under 20g of carbs a day.

Height: 5'3"

HW: 196 | LW: 128 | SW: 167.7 | CW: 139.8 | UGW: 95

|159 149 139 129 119 | 109 | 99 95 |

*A C C O U N T A B I L I T Y*

(but make it fun)

*blog*

(in case I leave MPA)

PROUD, UPSTANDING MEMBER OF MAYO NATION

typeo.gif

#3 𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒

𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 965 posts
  • LocationIn your garden.

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:38 PM

My advice would be to not do it. Studies are coming out showing it is extremely unhealthy like, people-are-living-an-average-lifespan-of-4-years-shorter-on-low-carb-diets unhealthy.

Keto diet is high in proteins and fats and low in carbs essentially. People typically eat a lot of meats on keto, which means you're not getting enough fiber that you get from carbs and veggies (which can lead to colon and rectal cancer). You're eating fats (usually high animal fats like saturated fat) that is very bad for your body in high quantities (because it can lead to diabetes, heart disease, and even Alzheimer's or other neurodegenerative disorders). Eating that much fat just isn't healthy no matter how much people try to make it so. People swear by low-carb diets and it's not hard to see why because of this reason: People get to pig out on bacon or eat cheeseburgers and still lose weight. 

I still don't even see how you could do it by eating avocados instead of meats because then you're still restricting your diet heavily. Studies show a varied diet of moderation (biggest portion is carbs and veggies, and some fruits, then animal products and meat in small amounts as a garnishment) is the healthiest diet. So either way, it's very unhealthy in the long-run and I would caution people not to follow a low-carb diet.

INFJ-T ~ "The Advocate"

https://www.16person...nfj-personality

giphy.gif

#4 SoManyCucumbers

SoManyCucumbers

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1055 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:13 PM

I've been doing it for 3 years, and it's fixed my joints, skin, and period. I just did a blood test yesterday; we'll see what the results say. People thrive on a carnivore diet, so I don't see why keto can't be done safely as well. It could also be that different bodies just handle different diets differently- the people I've seen have success with the carnivore diet generally have auto immune disorders. 

• Nill likes this

(but make it fun)

*blog*

(in case I leave MPA)

typeo.gif

#5 Nill

Nill

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2000 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:54 PM

Yea I recommend it, lots of spinach, olives, olive oil, mushrooms, green beans, butter, bacon, ground beef, eggs, sausage. A little goes a long way. My stomach always feels flatter and I don’t feel digestion, as much as when I eat other vegetables and starch.

It’s easier to end a meal and be content that is that. With high carb foods I quickly become manic and want to eat like there’s no tomorrow.
  • SoManyCucumbers likes this

#6 Axellle

Axellle

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:36 AM

Avocados are going to be your best friend! I eat 2 a day usually, and it helps me stay under 1000 because they're so filling. I cut mine in half, sprinkle garlic salt on and put salsa in the middle. I haven't tracked macros in a while, but I'm generally under 20g of carbs a day.

My advice would be to not do it. Studies are coming out showing it is extremely unhealthy like, people-are-living-an-average-lifespan-of-4-years-shorter-on-low-carb-diets unhealthy.

Keto diet is high in proteins and fats and low in carbs essentially. People typically eat a lot of meats on keto, which means you're not getting enough fiber that you get from carbs and veggies (which can lead to colon and rectal cancer). You're eating fats (usually high animal fats like saturated fat) that is very bad for your body in high quantities (because it can lead to diabetes, heart disease, and even Alzheimer's or other neurodegenerative disorders). Eating that much fat just isn't healthy no matter how much people try to make it so. People swear by low-carb diets and it's not hard to see why because of this reason: People get to pig out on bacon or eat cheeseburgers and still lose weight. 

I still don't even see how you could do it by eating avocados instead of meats because then you're still restricting your diet heavily. Studies show a varied diet of moderation (biggest portion is carbs and veggies, and some fruits, then animal products and meat in small amounts as a garnishment) is the healthiest diet. So either way, it's very unhealthy in the long-run and I would caution people not to follow a low-carb diet.

I've been doing it for 3 years, and it's fixed my joints, skin, and period. I just did a blood test yesterday; we'll see what the results say. People thrive on a carnivore diet, so I don't see why keto can't be done safely as well. It could also be that different bodies just handle different diets differently- the people I've seen have success with the carnivore diet generally have auto immune disorders.

Yea I recommend it, lots of spinach, olives, olive oil, mushrooms, green beans, butter, bacon, ground beef, eggs, sausage. A little goes a long way. My stomach always feels flatter and I don’t feel digestion, as much as when I eat other vegetables and starch.
It’s easier to end a meal and be content that is that. With high carb foods I quickly become manic and want to eat like there’s no tomorrow.

Thank you all for your advice! Sadly I have an avocado allergy but I'm allergic to almost all fruits and vegetables and this diet almost contains none of these foods so it seems perfect for me
I'll probably only do it for about 2 weeks and max 2 months :)

#7 𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒

𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 965 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:07 AM

Thank you all for your advice! Sadly I have an avocado allergy but I'm allergic to almost all fruits and vegetables and this diet almost contains none of these foods so it seems perfect for me
I'll probably only do it for about 2 weeks and max 2 months :)

Are you allergic to carbs too tho?

Also, it can take quite a few days to get into ketosis, so two weeks isn't really going to show you much of anything. Do you know what ketosis is? ...At the risk of coming across rude here, I just want to strongly suggest you research more about this diet before you do it because you really seem to be just jumping into it and that's never a good idea for anything regardless of what it is (and I'm not just saying this because I disagree with the diet, I would say this to anyone who was jumping into something without properly researching it).

INFJ-T ~ "The Advocate"

giphy.gif

#8 Axellle

Axellle

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:48 PM

Are you allergic to carbs too tho?

Also, it can take quite a few days to get into ketosis, so two weeks isn't really going to show you much of anything. Do you know what ketosis is? ...At the risk of coming across rude here, I just want to strongly suggest you research more about this diet before you do it because you really seem to be just jumping into it and that's never a good idea for anything regardless of what it is (and I'm not just saying this because I disagree with the diet, I would say this to anyone who was jumping into something without properly researching it).

I'm not allergic to carbs.
You're not coming across rude! I really appreciate your advice, it is really helpfull and I admit that I didn't do that much research. I'll do more research now (:

#9 𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒

𝐴𝑝𝑜𝑐𝑦𝑛𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑒

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 965 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:47 PM

I'm not allergic to carbs.
You're not coming across rude! I really appreciate your advice, it is really helpfull and I admit that I didn't do that much research. I'll do more research now (:

Oh, good! I like being helpful (: Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to try and answer them by the way.

• Axellle likes this

INFJ-T ~ "The Advocate"

giphy.gif

#10 Falling_leaves

Falling_leaves

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2092 posts
  • Location🛌

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:55 PM

DP
HW: 69 kg
LW: 41.1 kg
CW: 46.2 kg :(

Days sugar free: 2
Day(s) b/p free: 2
Food insta: @365sugarfree

https://www.myproana...s#entry72410567

#11 Falling_leaves

Falling_leaves

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2092 posts
  • Location🛌

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:58 PM

-How much you’re supposed to eat: as as much/little as you want. Most important is a calorie deficit for weight loss. The wonderful thing about ketosis is the lack of appetite, so you just eat when you’re hungry and don’t when you’re not
-Macro percentage isn’t so important. Just focus on reducing carbs. Eat vegetables and leafy greens when you’re craving it, choose fattier protein source like salmon, eggs, cheese, chicken and meats with higher fat content. This is because lean protein can spike insulin which may increase appetite after eating (from personal experience). But you can of course eat lean protein as well, just prepare for the appetite increase a few minutes/hour after eating. The feeling of hunger will go away again after a while. If your goal is weight loss you don’t wanna eat a ton of fat. Because if you have body fat to lose you should focus more on protein. It does not matter if you eat 40 grams of fat or 100 grams - you will still be in ketosis because it’s the reduced carbs that determines that. Eat as much fat as your craving.

I guess the takeaway here is- reduce carbs (<30 grams), eat as many calories, protein, fat and leafy veggies as you’re craving/want

More tips:
-make sure you’re adding salt to your food and drink enough water
-For sweet cravings you can have sugar free water enhancer, sugar free jelly, sugar free soda, gum, berries etc. it just makes the cravings more bearable and it won’t hinder weight loss because it’s zero/low calories
  • Nill, boring_insecurities and Axellle like this
HW: 69 kg
LW: 41.1 kg
CW: 46.2 kg :(

Days sugar free: 2
Day(s) b/p free: 2
Food insta: @365sugarfree

https://www.myproana...s#entry72410567

#12 Jadeheart

Jadeheart

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:10 AM

And lots of high protein veggies. Green bean sprout. Alfalfa sprout, Asparagus :) they have like 1-4g of net carb for 100g. 200g a day won't make you go over carb limit at all :)
  • Axellle likes this

#13 Axellle

Axellle

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:17 AM

-How much you’re supposed to eat: as as much/little as you want. Most important is a calorie deficit for weight loss. The wonderful thing about ketosis is the lack of appetite, so you just eat when you’re hungry and don’t when you’re not
-Macro percentage isn’t so important. Just focus on reducing carbs. Eat vegetables and leafy greens when you’re craving it, choose fattier protein source like salmon, eggs, cheese, chicken and meats with higher fat content. This is because lean protein can spike insulin which may increase appetite after eating (from personal experience). But you can of course eat lean protein as well, just prepare for the appetite increase a few minutes/hour after eating. The feeling of hunger will go away again after a while. If your goal is weight loss you don’t wanna eat a ton of fat. Because if you have body fat to lose you should focus more on protein. It does not matter if you eat 40 grams of fat or 100 grams - you will still be in ketosis because it’s the reduced carbs that determines that. Eat as much fat as your craving.
I guess the takeaway here is- reduce carbs (<30 grams), eat as many calories, protein, fat and leafy veggies as you’re craving/want
More tips:
-make sure you’re adding salt to your food and drink enough water
-For sweet cravings you can have sugar free water enhancer, sugar free jelly, sugar free soda, gum, berries etc. it just makes the cravings more bearable and it won’t hinder weight loss because it’s zero/low calories

And lots of high protein veggies. Green bean sprout. Alfalfa sprout, Asparagus :) they have like 1-4g of net carb for 100g. 200g a day won't make you go over carb limit at all :)

Thank you for the advice!! :)

#14 aquietmeow

aquietmeow

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1335 posts
  • LocationUnder my bed

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:45 AM

Things to know:

1. You might get constipated in the first 2 weeks but if you stick to it, it'll go away.
  2. you might get headaches the first few days

Its a great diet tbh since you won't have to count calories once you get the hang of whats low carb and whats not. 

• Axellle likes this
I got a long way to go.
CW:61.5kg | GW:55kg

**Starving for Perfection**
OblongHastyGermanspaniel-small.gif

#15 Axellle

Axellle

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:01 PM

Things to know:

• You might get constipated in the first 2 weeks but if you stick to it, it'll go away.
  • you might get headaches the first few days
Its a great diet tbh since you won't have to count calories once you get the hang of whats low carb and whats not.

Thank you for the advice 😊

#16 boring_insecurities

boring_insecurities

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted Yesterday, 03:31 AM

Keto is great! Really helped me stop one of the worst bulimia streaks of my life a couple of years ago. I'm not keto right now (still low carb), but I will probably return to it soon.

Keto works by putting your body in ketosis, which basically means you're burning fat for energy and run on ketones. This is a little misleading, as keto doesn't make your body any quicker to burn calories, but long story short it can really help keep your energy levels stable.

5% of calories in carbs is usually the percentage recommended, but really just don't go above 20g net carbs (don't count fibre and most sugar alcohols as a part of the limit). From the research I've done (it's been a while though since I've done any deep-diving), protein doesn't seem to affect ketosis that much, but try to get around 50-60g protein for your muscles. I generally don't worry about percentages and just have a max net carb count and a minimum protein count, with the rest of my calories being carbs.

Meats are a great source of protein. Liver has a lot of vitamins in it if you acquire a taste for it. Eggs have plenty of vitamins and fish have your omegas. As for carbs, I personally try to focus on just eating vegetables. Green vegetables tend to be lower in carb and high in volume and are good bases for meals. Fill the rest of your carbs with higher carb vegetables, protein heavy beans, berries, and even those keto treats you can buy at the store if you like. There's plenty of recipes online too. As for fat, just get fattier cuts of meat, eat nuts, or cook with oils (I go for ghee, olive, and coconut oil. Try to avoid vegetable oil). Don't worry about avocados, I personally hate them unless it's in guacamole lol.

I don't buy into the whole saturated fats lead to XYZ health complications personally, and if anyone mentions dietary cholesterol affects your cholesterol levels, that has been thoroughly debunked (the US government has even admitted so). High in fat does not mean unhealthy whatsoever, it is processed foods and sugar that is. That being said, there are many different eating plans and styles that can be perfectly healthy to eat and you just need to find what works for you.

Oh! And supplement with electrolytes for the first few days. It will really help alleviate the "keto fever". And as a general guideline, the longer you eat keto, the better and more efficient your body becomes at getting energy from your diet. It can take anywhere from a month to three months to get fully adapted to keto. 

One last thing, if you exercise, keto generally isn't the best diet for stuff like HIIT or sprinting. Keto is great for long distance and more sustained exercise though. If you have anymore questions hmu lol.

168cm // 66in

they/them

#17 starshapes

starshapes

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 926 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:47 AM

it's not so much about macro % but you for sure want to stay under 25g of carbs. and you'll have to eat enough fat to really feel that energy surge

make a list of foods you will eat and have easy stuff in the fridge ready to go. stay prepared so you won't be tempted to grab some easy carby snack to fill you up

it's easy once you get in the mindset of what is allowed. I don't ever recommend trying to make "normal' meals the keto way because they don't taste the same and just leave you annoyed that you didn't eat the real thing. the fathead recipes and stuff that requires lots of stevia etc. 

stick to the absolute basics, eggs cheese meat fish mostly since you said you can't tolerate veg.

easy snacks are pepperoni, string cheese, cheese cubes, SOME nuts, hard boiled eggs/devilled eggs, rotisserie chickens from the grocery store

you'll have to watch electrolytes. a good go-to is chicken bouillon cubes for broth, add Lo-Salt for potassium, take magnesium/calcium supplements. people make jugs of "keto aid" theres lots of recipes online for that

staying under 1000 cals a day is really easy on keto, protein and fats are extremely satiating once you get past that first week of carb cravings and you won't really even be hungry.

#18 SoManyCucumbers

SoManyCucumbers

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1055 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted Today, 10:58 AM

Just wanted to pop in and share my blood test results- The only number that was slightly out of range was my LDL- 105, out of a range of 100, but the doctor said since there's nothing wrong with me, anything under 129 is fine. Blood pressure was 110/70, cholesterol ratio was an ideal 3.5. 

I'm going to get tested again in another 6 months since I still have lingering liver stuff to keep track of. I stopped eating beef for the most part, so I'm interested to see if the number goes down. 

(but make it fun)

*blog*

(in case I leave MPA)

typeo.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users