Did you get to your low weight without fasting? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Did you get to your low weight without fasting?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 SaintShy

SaintShy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:17 PM

Hi!

I'm curious to see how many people have achieved their low weight/ a low BMI without fasting. I really really really hate fasting.

Honestly i don't mind being hungry, or even being hungry for long periods of time, fasting is just a big mindfuck for me. I hate condensing my eating into a small time period, it makes me feel like I'm out of control, even when I'm not and I follow what I plan to eat and stay within my calories exactly. I think its because it makes me excited towards food? I don't like feeling any emotions about food lol. 

But in the past fasting was a big part of how I got to my low weight. Does anyone have any stories of getting to their low weight without it? I'm hoping enough evidence will let my ED brain give me a pass on this one lol ( probably not but I can dream )  

#2 cloverhoneyy

cloverhoneyy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:21 PM

I think most people fast occasionally in some way or another, but it is not at all neccesary. As long as you're in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

There is no need for it. And by choosing to not fast, you're protecting yourself from some really intense cravings / possible binges
  • cherryblossompearl and SaintShy like this

#3 jackalyvia

jackalyvia

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5999 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:33 PM

YES, I havent fasted since 2010 or 2011 and I didnt reach my low till last year, for me it was exercise that was the main component, when I started running *religiously* I dropped into about a 13ishlb different bracket (from the 120-125 range to 109-112 low 106) and never went back up
  • SaintShy likes this
"Beatus istos ille, circa pes ad terra" (Blessed art thou with thier feet to the ground)<p>-RUNNING IS LIFE-
H - 5'9" goal - 99? Why not hahahahaha
I'm definitely falling in a rabbit hole now....

#4 hunthebun

hunthebun

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:36 PM

...eat in a caloric deficit?? 

• SaintShy and Emziboo like this

an immortal anorexic with a god complex 

175cm (5'9"),

all leg 

hw = 56kg (BMI 18.9, I was shorter)

lw = 31kg (BMI 10.1)

cw= 31.9kg (BMI 10.something)

​*mentally preparing for my arse being forced into treatment soon*

#5 Gnome Chompsky

Gnome Chompsky

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2486 posts
  • LocationOpening the fridge for the thousandth time

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:54 PM

You don’t need to fast to lose weight, calories in, calories out is all that matters.
I didn’t fast at all getting to BMI 14.7 or BMI 16
  • 𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓼𝓲𝓪 and SaintShy like this
This is a horrible contribution to MPA, and I regret it, but not enough to abstain from posting it.
My Boring Stats:
Spoiler

#6 SaintShy

SaintShy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:19 PM

I think most people fast occasionally in some way or another, but it is not at all neccesary. As long as you're in a calorie deficit you will lose weight.

There is no need for it. And by choosing to not fast, you're protecting yourself from some really intense cravings / possible binges

Thank you!! I definitely needed to hear this. 

Yes! that is one thing ive noticed that fasting does to me! When I don't fast, even when my cals are super low I'm completely satisfied by a protein bar, or a can of tuna or something, but when I fast I have cravings for weird stuff or fast food that I don't usually eat, and have never really grown up eating or anything? Its so strange!

#7 SaintShy

SaintShy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:20 PM

YES, I havent fasted since 2010 or 2011 and I didnt reach my low till last year, for me it was exercise that was the main component, when I started running *religiously* I dropped into about a 13ishlb different bracket (from the 120-125 range to 109-112 low 106) and never went back up

Thank you thank you thank you!!  This kind of story is exactly what I was hoping to hear! 

I love this response because I just love exercise period. I find it super therapeutic so if I can trade out fasting which i hate for exercise which I love, I'm all for it lol. 

• jackalyvia likes this

#8 SaintShy

SaintShy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:25 PM

You don’t need to fast to lose weight, calories in, calories out is all that matters.
I didn’t fast at all getting to BMI 14.7 or BMI 16

Yes, more evidence, thank you! 

You're so Right!! Its like deep down i know CICO is the truth, but my ED brain says fasting is the only way for some reason?

• Gnome Chompsky likes this

#9 LittleLexi

LittleLexi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2635 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:33 PM

I never went a day without eating, but I do eat all my calories (1300-1400) in one meal. So that's still some sort of fasting, just not very long
  • SaintShy likes this

~Laura Lexi~

Height: 5'9.5" (176 cm)

HW: 130lbs (BMI 19.1)

LW: 82lbs

CW: 82lbs (BMI 12.1)

#10 SaintShy

SaintShy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:03 PM

I never went a day without eating, but I do eat all my calories (1300-1400) in one meal. So that's still some sort of fasting, just not very long

Ahhhh do you do OMAD then? Would you mind me asking how you like doing this? I feel like I would be scared that eating that much in one sitting would make me feel guilty or something?

#11 jackalyvia

jackalyvia

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5999 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:24 PM

Thank you thank you thank you!! This kind of story is exactly what I was hoping to hear!

I love this response because I just love exercise period. I find it super therapeutic so if I can trade out fasting which i hate for exercise which I love, I'm all for it lol.

got you fam, also would like to add that I still struggle to eat ofc but knowing I have or will be able to exercise (BC i ate I have the energy or at least the drive lol) makes it slightly easier
  • SaintShy likes this
"Beatus istos ille, circa pes ad terra" (Blessed art thou with thier feet to the ground)<p>-RUNNING IS LIFE-
H - 5'9" goal - 99? Why not hahahahaha
I'm definitely falling in a rabbit hole now....

#12 Maladaptive

Maladaptive

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSaturn

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:42 PM

I can't do any sort of intense fasting (I get low blood sugar very easily for some reason). I got down to 14.2.

Honestly, I kind of high-restricted my way down. And I don't really do any strenuous exercise. It took forever, but it also helped me avoid bingeing
  • SaintShy likes this

Current BMI: 14.2

Height: 5'4.5" / 164cm / 1.64m

Highest Weight : 98.8lbs / 44.81kg / 7.1 Stone (2011)

Start Weight: 97lbs / 43.99kg / 6.9 Stone (2009)

Current Weight : 84.2 lbs / 38.2kg / 6 Stone (5/28/2021)

Lowest Weight : 84.2 lbs / 38.2kg / 6 Stone (5/28/2021)

Goal Weight : Whatever weight I start not hating myself at

tenor.gif

#13 pastafreak

pastafreak

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12992 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:44 PM

Yes, I got to my LW through high restriction.

You definitely don't have to fast to lose weight! Some people probably shouldn't fast because it just leads to bingeing for them

• SaintShy likes this

#14 I am the queen of France

I am the queen of France

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:32 PM

When I was at my lowest weight I was regularly eating candy or a pastry for breakfast, and ate dinner every day
  • SaintShy likes this

-Iconic Golden Threads-

My Pro Anal: https://www.myproana...w-to-myproanal/

Expand Arm: https://www.myproana...657077-ana-arm/

Anorexic Bulmaria Zoe: https://www.myproana...er-story-leaked

To Be Expanded...

#15 キラキラ

キラキラ

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3292 posts
  • Location♪ I come from the Land Down Under ♪

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:43 PM

Yep I never fasted.
I felt major anxiety if I ever skipped a meal so I ate three meals a day all the way down to my LW
  • SaintShy likes this

EDNOS | AUSTRALIA | 24

- GIVING RECOVERY A CHANCE -

9ff791f72da0aa5919d9cc07bddee552.gif

#16 cancermoon

cancermoon

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:29 PM

for like a 3 week period in my honeymoon phase i low restricted and didn’t eat for 4 days then i was pretty sure i was abt to drop dead so i stopped. but for like 2 months i’ve been medium restricting and recently started eating 3 meals a day instead of 2. now at my lw and bmi of 17.17 but i only intermittent fast (loosely i’ll have fruit or popcorn sometimes) for like 17-18 hours a day just so i don’t eat snacks at night

#17 Finchie

Finchie

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:38 PM

Yes
5'4 |||| 𝓒𝓦: 96.2 |||| 𝓖𝓦: 90 |||| 𝓗𝓦: 120

(Im mentally disabled and bad at conveying tone. Im often trying to be funny or sarcastic, not a prick.)

#18 nobodyatall

nobodyatall

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:56 AM

Yes, more evidence, thank you! 

You're so Right!! Its like deep down i know CICO is the truth, but my ED brain says fasting is the only way for some reason?

its the exact same thing for me; even though i have a ton of calories before i hit my tdee, i still freak out because it feels like its too late to eat, and i feel like if i eat late, i'll have to start my meal on the next day much later to compensate. once i started fasting, it became a habit thats really difficult to break

• SaintShy likes this

18 enby

any pronouns

------------------------------------------

height: 5'2

hw: 92 lbs (2018) | lw: 76 lbs | cw: 76 lbs | gw:70 lbs 

#19 Dyintothrive

Dyintothrive

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:03 AM

I hardly ever fast bc it gives me acid reflux that leaves me yakking in the toilet for 3-4 days straight
  • SaintShy likes this

#20 Pioumi

Pioumi

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1764 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:08 AM

Yes
I don't remember if in the first years I tried fasting
If so, probably didn't last long 😂