Did you get to your low weight without fasting? - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Did you get to your low weight without fasting?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 healingfine

healingfine

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:24 AM

Yes, ive never fasted and im underweight. Doesn't really matter what way you lose weight, you find something that works for you :)

#22 ekkiana

ekkiana

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1057 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:02 AM

I never intentionally fasted, in fact I tried to eat every few hours or so to keep my metabolism going but eventually I ended up going days without food just because of the intense guilt, fear and anxiety.
I do not think fasting is necessary to reach a low weight at all. I got very low eating every few hours (granted it was very low calorie amounts like half a carrot or some celery or oat bran, a few spoons of yoghurt etc) but yeah fasting isn't necessary imo. In fact fasting often ruins your health faster and therefore you are unable to get to a lower weight before being hospitalised. Better off to try and medium/high restrict imo.
  • SaintShy and SkinnyDippingInTheLake like this

Height: 170.5cm (5’7”)
HW: 84kg (BMI 29) - Overweight
SW: 73kg (BMI 25) - Overweight
CW: Was 73kg (BMI 25) - Overweight
GW: 55kg (BMI 19) - Healthy Weight
UGW: 35kg (BMI 12) - Underweight
LW: 40kg (BMI 14) - Very Underweight
“Anorexic” GW: 39kg (BMI <14) (I just kind of want to say I got into the 30’s but also I know that’s really dangerous!)

#23 FluffSkin

FluffSkin

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationSkinny fuckery land

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:40 AM

Yes & no. First I was eating all 3 meals & even snacking.

But now after losing do little bit of everything. Daily 23hrs fast cause I hate thinking about food all day & scared to get bingey OMAD w different amount of restriction (med/high) or even maintenance. Avoid going too low. Could be surplus too (not binge) but weekly calories count more tbh. Longer couple day fasts here & there.

My absolute lowest ever where I was not that long ago (not quite as low rn) did definitely include longer fasting.

#24 Parrot

Parrot

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Locationsinging in the rain

Posted 22 July 2021 - 06:40 AM

I've tended to do some level of IF, though mainly because I get hungriest mid afternoon, so it makes sense to leave eating until then and later.

If you mean full days of fasting, well I've done it both ways different times.  One time I lost over 20 lb doing 5:2, which seems unbelievable now.  I wasn't restricting at all on the 5 eating days each week, but the weight dropped off.

MostlyI find I need to eat every day, which isn't surprising, especially as I'm older and so need to be functional and (reasonably) responsible.

• SaintShy likes this

#25 jennyreborn

jennyreborn

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:27 AM

I got to my lw on 700ish a day. then I got impatient and now fasting is comfort

• SaintShy likes this

#26 LittleLexi

LittleLexi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2635 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:17 AM

Ahhhh do you do OMAD then? Would you mind me asking how you like doing this? I feel like I would be scared that eating that much in one sitting would make me feel guilty or something?

Yes, I do OMAD, have been doing it for years now. I absolutely love it, but I can understand that some people would feel guilty eating all their calories in one sitting.
But like it because if you get used to eating that way you are not hungry all day long. But once you do eat, you can really enjoy a nice big meal and I have something to look out to.
I just dont like eating small snacks/meals throughout te day. All that does is make me hungry.
  • SaintShy likes this

~Laura Lexi~

Height: 5'9.5" (176 cm)

HW: 130lbs (BMI 19.1)

LW: 82lbs

CW: 82lbs (BMI 12.1)

#27 Deez Nuts

Deez Nuts

Pussy Vultures

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25328 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:20 AM

yep

I think when I was at my lowest (15 bmi)

I was in a strange place

at my lw I ate 1400 most day and would b/p all weekend

to get there

I ate around 900-1200

then as i got worse - 750-850

then upped it to 1400 and then the b/ping started

never fasted a day in my life 

• SaintShy likes this

a78ec59389e384bceb175f638dff87c8.gif

source.gif

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Stuff I like in spoiler, click if interested:

Spoiler

Male
AN b/p
HT: 5'6
HW: 131
CW: 107
UGW: 103

#28 prana_ana

prana_ana

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1306 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:21 AM

No

147 140 130 120 110 105 100 97 95 90 84
Height: 5'6
SW: 147
LW: 92
CW: 97
UGW: 84

#29 scorpinelle

scorpinelle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2631 posts
  • Locationengland

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:22 AM

yesss i ate 1200 cals and did 20k steps every day and hit bmi of about 14

• SaintShy likes this

"i have no place in the world."

"exactly."

giphy.gif

#30 SaintShy

SaintShy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:05 PM

I can't do any sort of intense fasting (I get low blood sugar very easily for some reason). I got down to 14.2.

Honestly, I kind of high-restricted my way down. And I don't really do any strenuous exercise. It took forever, but it also helped me avoid bingeing

I think this might be my problem too actually! My blood sugar gets so low, and then my electrolytes get out of wack and like nothing I do helps (supplementing, drinking less) I just overall feel so miserable. 

Hey I'm all for the high restrict slow approach. I don't mind as long as the weight is gone and stays gone + no bingeing! 

#31 cherryblossompearl

cherryblossompearl

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Locationdreamland

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:06 PM

yes. fasting is too intense. too high-risk, high reward -- either you win against impulse or you binge and set your weight loss off by a couple days. slow and steady wins the race.

• SaintShy likes this

diagnosed AN in 2014, self-diagnosed EDNOS since 2016

lowest bmi15.2

current bmi: 15.2

highest bmi: 25.2

ugw: nirvana

#32 Moonchild13

Moonchild13

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:07 PM

I did. Every time, just by restricting.
  • SaintShy likes this

#33 SaintShy

SaintShy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:09 PM

When I was at my lowest weight I was regularly eating candy or a pastry for breakfast, and ate dinner every day

This sounds like my kind of strategy. I absolutely love pastry and when I let myself have what I like, i find it fairly easy to high restrict. 1,000-1,300 cal

But then when I added fasting into the mix, all of the sudden it throws everything off and even though I'm not bingeing, it turns the pastry from just being food into something I'm just dying and so excited to eat because I can't  have it right then and there.

Its almost like the "waiting" and not really the hunger is what messes with my head...

#34 SaintShy

SaintShy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:17 PM

its the exact same thing for me; even though i have a ton of calories before i hit my tdee, i still freak out because it feels like its too late to eat, and i feel like if i eat late, i'll have to start my meal on the next day much later to compensate. once i started fasting, it became a habit thats really difficult to break

Yesss!! it's like this endless cycle of unecessary stress. Weirdly enough, I can usually convince myself to just "suck it up" if I'm eating 3 meals a day and I don't have any calories left, but when fasting is added into the mix, all of the sudden i get so anxious. 

Its exactly like you said, if i eat too late, i am already thinking about the next day and how much it will suck because I have to wait to eat. If I eat too early I'm thinking about how much its going to suck to not eat later on in the evening and how I probably won't be able to sleep.

I also just really hate cramming all of my food down in  such a short period of time. Part of my issue with food is I don't like how it feels in my stomach (as crazy as that sounds) so the feeling of being full or eating so much at once just really freaks me out. I usually end up excersizing straight after for a super long time just to calm myself down? 

But like you said it becomes a habit and then its so hard to stop. But like really I'm just stressing myself out with pretty much every aspect of fasting for no freaking reason lol. 

#35 SaintShy

SaintShy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:22 PM

yes. fasting is too intense. too high-risk, high reward -- either you win against impulse or you binge and set your weight loss off by a couple days. slow and steady wins the race.

Omg you totally 100% just described how I feel about fasting.

Even if I'm not to the binge stage yet, I can feel it coming on. Like i just feel so out of wack when I break my fast now. I'm  so sure that if I don't stop fasting soon, I'm going to loose control and that thought is so freaking terrifying. I honestly just want to stop right now, but I'm trying to figure out a somewhat smooth way to transition out of it. I think i will just try lengthening my window slowly until I stop all together...

#36 vacationtownprincess

vacationtownprincess

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2165 posts
  • Location1959 malibu way

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:30 PM

depends on what you mean by low bmi but I can say for sure I lost 40-something pounds without fasting. i tried and at the beginning i could manage short fasts but now I have hypoglycemia, I can't really function when fasting
  • SaintShy likes this

tumblr_lhrbumCDR41qejraeo1_r1_400.gif

----------------------------------------------------

171cm 45kg

#37 SaintShy

SaintShy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:41 PM

depends on what you mean by low bmi but I can say for sure I lost 40-something pounds without fasting. i tried and at the beginning i could manage short fasts but now I have hypoglycemia, I can't really function when fasting

I'm seriously convinced that this is my problem as well! The longer I continue to do daily fasting (anywhere from 16-22 hours a day) the more off I feel.  Like electrolyte imbalance really easily when I drink or eat, tired, like can't  even think sometimes. I just really can't function at all, like you said...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one! 

• vacationtownprincess likes this

#38 StarvingLlama*-*

StarvingLlama*-*

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12770 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:59 PM

Fasting only lead to me getting into binge fast cycles until I developed bulimia/anorexia nervosa bp. I did fast between b/p sessions but not more than a day. The way I managed to get to a my lowest weight again after I tried to semi recover was restriction alone I haven’t fasted in a year or so. Got down to bmi under 14.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
  • SaintShy likes this

#39 💫👽ℂʜoᴄoʟᴀ🐍

💫👽ℂʜoᴄoʟᴀ🐍

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:07 PM

Sadly no, but I'm slowly working my way back there with medium to high restriction and it's going alright so far. It's definitely possible though, and I'm sure it's much better for maintenance.

#40 SaintShy

SaintShy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:15 PM

Fasting only lead to me getting into binge fast cycles until I developed bulimia/anorexia nervosa bp. I did fast between b/p sessions but not more than a day. The way I managed to get to a my lowest weight again after I tried to semi recover was restriction alone I haven’t fasted in a year or so. Got down to bmi under 14.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I'm so sorry that happened to you, but thank you so much for sharing your story!

I feel like after fasting for a long time, its a very fine line between OMAD and bingeing, and I could easily see myself following down the same path if I keep fasting the way that I am.

Every time I break my fast I feel myself really struggling more and more to hold onto control. Its only getting harder. 

This thread is really giving me the motivation to stop fasting and know that I can still lose, so thank you! 

• StarvingLlama*-* likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users