embarrassment from neighbours hearing purging - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

embarrassment from neighbours hearing purging

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 helpstresshelp

helpstresshelp

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:06 AM

my building has really thin walls and i can hear everything my neighbours do and say, so there is no way they can't hear me purging. it's really embarrassing. anyone else in the same situation? i can't bear the idea of facing them, so i have to be really careful to time leaving my apartment not to run into them, because like, what would that elevator conversation look like???

cw 65kg / 143lb / 22.2

gw 58kg / 128lb / 19.8

gw2 54kg / 118lb /18.5

ugw 51kg / 112lb / 17.4

#2 大喰い

大喰い

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Location11th Ward

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:19 AM

My old apartment was like this. I'm sure my old neighbours have heard me throwing up but I was able to cover it with my chronic migraines, it was also an older christian couple and pretty removed from the world. When they moved out their part of the building was empty for a while and I thought yay I can finally take lax in peace... and I was wrong. Took too much, shat my soul out while the new neighbours (dudes in their early 20s) could hear everything and due to the thin walls I could hear their comments. It was awful as hell and I avoided them like the plague lol.

#3 FragileDolly

FragileDolly

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:25 AM

please my anxiety would make me move away asap D:

My old apartment was like this. I'm sure my old neighbours have heard me throwing up but I was able to cover it with my chronic migraines, it was also an older christian couple and pretty removed from the world. When they moved out their part of the building was empty for a while and I thought yay I can finally take lax in peace... and I was wrong. Took too much, shat my soul out while the new neighbours (dudes in their early 20s) could hear everything and due to the thin walls I could hear their comments. It was awful as hell and I avoided them like the plague lol.

• sewerside and 大喰い like this

tumblr_mq1q1r4EHV1rmpi8mo1_500.gif

#4 大喰い

大喰い

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Location11th Ward

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:30 AM

please my anxiety would make me move away asap D:

Yeah I tried finding a new place but the housing situation in my area is pretty bad especially small single households. The main issue is the university so most small afforable apartments are taken by uni students and the landlords crank up the prices to queeze every last cent out of the situation and this happened right before the start of a new semester... I was as fucked as it gets lol

#5 helpstresshelp

helpstresshelp

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:44 AM

ahhhh yeah, my neighbours are dudes in their early 20s. they're really hot, too. and like, before this b/p cycle got bad we spoke lots, including when i was in restriction phase, so they saw me losing heaps of weight, and get injured from overexercise, and joked with me that I exercise too much, I should cool it. and then b/p cycle hit and now they hear me puking for like an hour every couple of days. it's just so humiliating. 

• 大喰い likes this

cw 65kg / 143lb / 22.2

gw 58kg / 128lb / 19.8

gw2 54kg / 118lb /18.5

ugw 51kg / 112lb / 17.4

#6 noturprincess

noturprincess

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:46 AM

not now but I've definitely been worried about it in the past. Just remember that they don't know your life at all (unless you're friendly with your neighbors, and even then they can't assume to know everything), you could be chronically ill or something. eating disorders are way less apparent to those who don't have them. and on the off chance they do have one, then they are probably very sympathetic to it. 

• glitter♡ likes this

EDNOSOS 

GW1: 135 7-19-21

GW2: 128

#7 大喰い

大喰い

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Location11th Ward

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:16 AM

ahhhh yeah, my neighbours are dudes in their early 20s. they're really hot, too. and like, before this b/p cycle got bad we spoke lots, including when i was in restriction phase, so they saw me losing heaps of weight, and get injured from overexercise, and joked with me that I exercise too much, I should cool it. and then b/p cycle hit and now they hear me puking for like an hour every couple of days. it's just so humiliating. 

I'm so sorry that you are stuck in a situation like that, I remember when I had to live like that it legit kept me up at night for a loooong time :(

I don't know how your ED behaves but if you have cycles where you don't purge you this is an acute thing now you can pass it off as health issues of any other kind should they ask. Sport is known to eliviate many problems, I have been suggested to have a regular workout schedule as it could help with my migraine to some extend. You overworking yourself could be explained as you trying your hardest to avoid these phases where you end up throwing up. Many people overcompensate, that's nothing weird. Losing weight comes with not being able to keep food down and working out, might that be caused my an ED or not.

I wish I had better suggestions, it's awful to have other people involved in something that is such a complex and private struggle.

• wishiwasskinny999 likes this

#8 MadForGarlic

MadForGarlic

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20390 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:40 AM

I live in an old apartment, I can hear water sound and talking voice and singing from downstairs while purging.

honestly I don't care. I don't know their faces even. I live on the second floor so don't use elevator tho

stats below

Spoiler

#9 kitn

kitn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:46 AM

they probably won't say anything but that's not the point is it.. I worry about my neighbour too especially as we're friends. 

the only thing you can do is just try to cover up the noise and if they ask just say you're not well or something. 

I try not to think about it too much because I'm not going to stop purging so kind of have to just accept it.

• glitter♡ likes this

#10 Emptyspirits

Emptyspirits

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2265 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:57 PM

I always purge in my apartment and my walls are thin. I’m sure my neighbors hear me but I don’t really give af. I pay to live here they don’t pay for my apartment so whatever happens in my apartment stays in my apartment. I’m a little more respectful when it comes to other bathrooms but I haven’t been going out in public as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 GingerRoo

GingerRoo

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:57 PM

I'm lucky to live in an apartment with pretty thick walls right now, but I'm moving somewhere soon with thinner ones and I'm dreading it. I don't care what my neighbors think, but I'll have to hide it from the friend I'll be living with, which will be super stressful.

#12 gilgi

gilgi

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:16 PM

my neighbours can't hear me purge, but I'm pretty sure my roommate can. I've stopped caring enough honestly. Bping multiple times a day with a busy schedule is difficult enough as is, I don't have the energy to go out of my way to hide it. She hasn't mentioned it though, which I'm very grateful for.

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk
  • glitter♡ likes this

#13 Lillifee

Lillifee

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1314 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 July 2021 - 06:48 PM

I’m sorry to ask such a weird question, but are your walls made out of wood or something? Because I can’t imagine anyone hearing another person purging from a different flat/apartment, but if you say you hear what they do and say, it’s probably true they can hear it. Even when I used to live with my parents, nobody would hear me purging when I was in the room next to them, because we had (stone) walls. Idk, I guess some houses are weird or something. If you feel embarrassed about it maybe try putting toilet paper in to avoid the “splash sound” or if it’s about the gagging, play music or something to cover it. But honestly, like others said, if you’re not close with your neighbours I wouldn’t care too much. I know for a fact that my neighbours can hear me vacuum cleaning or having sex since these things are loud (way louder than purging I guess) and I don’t give a fuck because it’s my apartment and they make noise too. But then again, I never hear them talking or anything, so I’m really wondering what material your walls are made of.

You can’t change the past, but you can create the future. :wub:

#14 Szikkia

Szikkia

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:03 PM

I can hear my neighbor in the bathroom sometimes so I always wonder if he hears me when I purge.

#15 GingerRoo

GingerRoo

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:27 PM

I’m sorry to ask such a weird question, but are your walls made out of wood or something? Because I can’t imagine anyone hearing another person purging from a different flat/apartment, but if you say you hear what they do and say, it’s probably true they can hear it. Even when I used to live with my parents, nobody would hear me purging when I was in the room next to them, because we had (stone) walls. Idk, I guess some houses are weird or something. If you feel embarrassed about it maybe try putting toilet paper in to avoid the “splash sound” or if it’s about the gagging, play music or something to cover it. But honestly, like others said, if you’re not close with your neighbours I wouldn’t care too much. I know for a fact that my neighbours can hear me vacuum cleaning or having sex since these things are loud (way louder than purging I guess) and I don’t give a fuck because it’s my apartment and they make noise too. But then again, I never hear them talking or anything, so I’m really wondering what material your walls are made of.

I’m not sure if OP lives in the US (can’t see location if they’ve added it since I’m on mobile) but most apartment buildings here have walls made of wood and thin sheets of drywall.

#16 wishiwasskinny999

wishiwasskinny999

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1658 posts
  • LocationNorth California

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:43 PM

stone walls??? hahah im not op but ive never heard of that. all the walls are wood where i live

She/her

~Currently in fuckin forced recovery~

Height: 5’5’
Hw: 170
Lw: 137
Cw: 140
BMI: 23.4

Gw1: 130
Gw2: 120

Gw3: 115
Gw while living with my parents: 105 (BMI: 17.5)

Ugw: 84 (BMI: 14.0)

#17 Lillifee

Lillifee

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1314 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:14 AM

I’m not sure if OP lives in the US (can’t see location if they’ve added it since I’m on mobile) but most apartment buildings here have walls made of wood and thin sheets of drywall.

It would make sense. I think the US is the only country I can think of where people have thin walls made out of wood.

stone walls??? hahah im not op but ive never heard of that. all the walls are wood where i live

Haha, alright. Maybe it's not that uncommon. Where I live, all the walls are thick stone walls and I love it because you don't hear a lot of noise from other apartments.

• wishiwasskinny999 likes this

You can’t change the past, but you can create the future. :wub:

#18 Skarf

Skarf

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:31 PM

My neighbour used to say coo coo when I cried and made fake gagging and laughter when I used the bathroom....... I hated them both.
Ingredients : none.

#19 sewerside

sewerside

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9533 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:40 PM

My neighbour used to say coo coo when I cried and made fake gagging and laughter when I used the bathroom....... I hated them both.

thats horrible im so so sorry 

tellonym ✩ thinspo dump ✩ carrd ✩

5vMosFz.gif

#20 Skarf

Skarf

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:51 PM

thats horrible im so so sorry