What do you answer when people ask you " How do you stay so thin ?!" - Age 40+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

What do you answer when people ask you " How do you stay so thin ?!"

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Blackdream

Blackdream

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSomewhere ...

Posted 10 August 2021 - 05:21 AM

Even if I am not a control freak as I was at a time in my life ...

I certainly care about what I eat or don't eat and food is very emotional-related to me.

You probably already had those comment : 

" how do you stay so thin ? "

" you are probably thin naturally !"

" I'm sure you're one of those who remain thin whatever they eat."

What do you say ?

• ekkiana and Purplegrave like this

I wanna STRETCH AND SLUMP on the guy next to me !!!

lovemyself.jpg

#2 ekkiana

ekkiana

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2661 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 06:07 AM

I used to just tell people that I had an eating disorder, because I never wanted anyone to think my body was natural and that anyone should look like I did without serious effort.

Haha RIP to those days!
  • Blackdream and TheDove like this

Height: 170.5cm (5’7”)
HW: 84kg (BMI 29) - Overweight
SW: 73.5kg (BMI 25) - Overweight
CW: 66.7kg (BMI 23.1) - Healthy Weight
GW 1: 63kg (BMI 21.8) - Healthy Weight
GW 2: 60kg (BMI 20.8) - Healthy Weight
GW 3: 55kg (BMI 19) - Healthy Weight
GW 4: 50kg (BMI 17) - Underweight
GW 5: 44kg (BMI 15) - Underweight
LW: 40kg (BMI 14) - Underweight
UGW: 39kg (BMI <14) (I just kind of want to say I got into the 30’s but also I know that’s really dangerous!)
UGW 2: 30kg (BMI 10.4) - Underweight (Will never get here, it's too low, I'd die I think, but hm I wish I could say I'd made it to BMI 10, so fucked up)

#3 Irreverent Parrot

Irreverent Parrot

Omniscient

• Validating
  • 3273 posts
  • Locationsinging in the rain

Posted 10 August 2021 - 11:11 AM

People think I eat really cleanly, because I've been mostly vegan for years, and I rarely drink alcohol.  Also most people know I walk a lot, partly from not having a car, but also just to get out and moving.

So they tend to assume a "clean" diet and no alcohol will do the trick.  It's funny really, because despite being vegan I eat quite a lot of junk food.  And I bake, which when you're on your own is a big lot of food each time.  Folks seem to assume vegan cake is healthier than normal cake.  Uh, no!

Mind you folks I really know tend to know I have an ED, though they may know more or less about it depending on what they've actually asked me.  And male friends never notice anything, which is happily convenient!  I hate to stereotype, but tis the truth. Apart from the one guy who asked me if I had a wasting disease because my fingers were really skinny, apparently.  That was kind of weird, though he's a good man in general.

• Blackdream likes this

#4 perfectly_insane

perfectly_insane

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 12:35 PM

"I'm kinda weird with food" is my favorite
  • Blackdream likes this

#5 Blackdream

Blackdream

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSomewhere ...

Posted 11 August 2021 - 04:09 AM

I used to just tell people that I had an eating disorder, because I never wanted anyone to think my body was natural and that anyone should look like I did without serious effort.

Haha RIP to those days!

I think at the moment I am not super thin but maybe healthy fit ... ? 
I have a hard time telling what I look like. Even though I am not controlling as much as I was at a time I worry a lot about getting fat.
I feel uncomfortable in my body when I am and I also have the 'it's not healthy' voice in my head.
In my family people tend to gain weight easily and I am not strong enough neither confident enough to like myself if I feel unhealthy.

SOrry ... long words.

So yes, somehow I wish I could tell people because I think they should realise sometimes it requires sacrifice and that we can grow thin or fat ...
Actually what I sometimes really want to say is : "I try to stay thin and it's not easy because I am into comfort eating and I know sometimes I might gain a lot of weight ... so it's a sensitive topic I don't want to discuss here."

But that seems like a lot of talk for someone who just wanted to say something nice.

Thanks for awsering to me anyway ! 

• ekkiana and back_to_skinny like this

lovemyself.jpg

#6 Blackdream

Blackdream

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSomewhere ...

Posted 11 August 2021 - 04:12 AM

People think I eat really cleanly, because I've been mostly vegan for years, and I rarely drink alcohol.  Also most people know I walk a lot, partly from not having a car, but also just to get out and moving.

So they tend to assume a "clean" diet and no alcohol will do the trick.  It's funny really, because despite being vegan I eat quite a lot of junk food.  And I bake, which when you're on your own is a big lot of food each time.  Folks seem to assume vegan cake is healthier than normal cake.  Uh, no!

Mind you folks I really know tend to know I have an ED, though they may know more or less about it depending on what they've actually asked me.  And male friends never notice anything, which is happily convenient!  I hate to stereotype, but tis the truth. Apart from the one guy who asked me if I had a wasting disease because my fingers were really skinny, apparently.  That was kind of weird, though he's a good man in general.

Ah ... I can relate.
Some people assume that it's because I am vegetarian (almost vegan)
And also I do some sport.

But just as you say ... vegan and even more maybe vegetarians cake are just as many calories !

And yep ... you can find vegetarian or vegan junkfood too ! (french fries ! )
Weirdly for me nuts .... walnuts, almond, cashew ... even if it's healthy ... the quantity might be a problem though. 
So I don't buy big packs anymore.
More expensive by 100g but definitely less expensive and caloric in the end of the week.

Thanks for sharing with me.

• Irreverent Parrot likes this

lovemyself.jpg

#7 Blackdream

Blackdream

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSomewhere ...

Posted 11 August 2021 - 04:13 AM

"I'm kinda weird with food" is my favorite

I use this one ... when I actually do something weird.
Which might happens sometimes.

• OrangePumpkinCat and NLP like this

lovemyself.jpg

#8 NLP

NLP

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3145 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 04:56 AM

"I don't stop eating"

That usually weirds them out

• Blackdream, rcanina and sweetdaisy like this

Functioning dysfunctionally

#9 Blackdream

Blackdream

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSomewhere ...

Posted 11 August 2021 - 05:47 AM

"I don't stop eating"

That usually weirds them out

Ahah  :lol: 

Sadly I am not stable enough to say that.
I might start eating a bit too much and I will look like a chubby hamster in less that 2 weeks.

XD

• NLP likes this

lovemyself.jpg

#10 ekkiana

ekkiana

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2661 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:33 AM

I think at the moment I am not super thin but maybe healthy fit ... ?
I have a hard time telling what I look like. Even though I am not controlling as much as I was at a time I worry a lot about getting fat.
I feel uncomfortable in my body when I am and I also have the 'it's not healthy' voice in my head.
In my family people tend to gain weight easily and I am not strong enough neither confident enough to like myself if I feel unhealthy.

SOrry ... long words.

So yes, somehow I wish I could tell people because I think they should realise sometimes it requires sacrifice and that we can grow thin or fat ...
Actually what I sometimes really want to say is : "I try to stay thin and it's not easy because I am into comfort eating and I know sometimes I might gain a lot of weight ... so it's a sensitive topic I don't want to discuss here."

But that seems like a lot of talk for someone who just wanted to say something nice.

Thanks for awsering to me anyway !

Honestly that's a good point, some people don't want to hear all that stuff.
I'm sorry you struggle so much xx
  • Blackdream likes this

Height: 170.5cm (5’7”)
HW: 84kg (BMI 29) - Overweight
SW: 73.5kg (BMI 25) - Overweight
CW: 66.7kg (BMI 23.1) - Healthy Weight
GW 1: 63kg (BMI 21.8) - Healthy Weight
GW 2: 60kg (BMI 20.8) - Healthy Weight
GW 3: 55kg (BMI 19) - Healthy Weight
GW 4: 50kg (BMI 17) - Underweight
GW 5: 44kg (BMI 15) - Underweight
LW: 40kg (BMI 14) - Underweight
UGW: 39kg (BMI <14) (I just kind of want to say I got into the 30’s but also I know that’s really dangerous!)
UGW 2: 30kg (BMI 10.4) - Underweight (Will never get here, it's too low, I'd die I think, but hm I wish I could say I'd made it to BMI 10, so fucked up)

#11 sweetdaisy

sweetdaisy

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 07:26 AM

I just say: "it takes a lot of work to stay in shape and I do it through exercise".

But what I really feel like saying is that
(I probably have an exercise addiction) and the only way I can control my weight is to create a large deficit through exercise and it's a constant battle of feeling whether I have done enough exercise each day for the foods I want to eat.
  • Blackdream likes this

#12 Blackdream

Blackdream

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSomewhere ...

Posted 11 August 2021 - 04:51 PM

I just say: "it takes a lot of work to stay in shape and I do it through exercise".

But what I really feel like saying is that
(I probably have an exercise addiction) and the only way I can control my weight is to create a large deficit through exercise and it's a constant battle of feeling whether I have done enough exercise each day for the foods I want to eat.

Sometimes I feel like an addiction isn't one until you labelled it.
you know how you are "very careful about your food" and then one day you realized and you put a label and in a second it changes. I wonder if it's good or if it legitimates more the fact that we are overdoing.

Anyhow ... I kind of wish I was exercising as much as I used to.
It's at least good that you find time for yourself and it's at least healthier than many other ways to stay thin.

I think the way you say things is the right way.

Take care and thank you !

lovemyself.jpg

#13 back_to_skinny

back_to_skinny

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 12 August 2021 - 12:35 AM

I say that I cannot eat certain foods because of food allergies which I truly have. What I do not tell however is that I weigh and keep track of every single one of my allowed foods in order to not exceed a randomly chosen calorie limit in my head.

Naturally, sports is also a reason I usually put forward but it is not a healthy relationship to sports if one works out to purge calories which I do (this is another point which I do not mention).
  • Blackdream likes this

my stats and thinspiration 

Spoiler

FtGE.gif

♥ being a loving partner 

dreaming of my own home

fingers crossed 

#14 thinstrument

thinstrument

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3135 posts
  • LocationUpper Midwest...where it's cold

Posted 12 August 2021 - 10:14 AM

Deadpan: “I don’t eat.”

Blink

Stare

I give zero [email protected]&ks what they think other than I don’t want them to believe that “oh you must be naturally skinny” bull$#!t that basically doesn’t exist

This is work.
  • Blackdream, AjaSlimtone, sweetdaisy and 1 other like this

I ramble online at Carrots In My Carryon

#15 Julzy

Julzy

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted 12 August 2021 - 02:46 PM

"I do Keto and Intermitent fasting", also "I think I just have good genetics".

both not true, but it works.

I don't care if people think I get thin without effort. I don't really want to inspire anyone to have ED habits... so I just try to dismiss the subject as fast as I can.

Also because I hate people commenting on my body

• Blackdream and back_to_skinny like this

1,55 m (5'1")

CW: 41,5 kg (91.6 lbs)

BMI: 17.3

LW: 40,5 (89.2 lbs)

GW1: 46 kg (101.4 lbs)

GW2: 44 kg ( 97 lbs)

UGW: 40 kg (88.1 lbs)

[entry='64bZm3.png '][/entry]

#16 Blackdream

Blackdream

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSomewhere ...

Posted 12 August 2021 - 05:52 PM

Deadpan: “I don’t eat.”

Blink

Stare

I give zero [email protected]&ks what they think other than I don’t want them to believe that “oh you must be naturally skinny” bull$#!t that basically doesn’t exist

This is work.

"I do Keto and Intermitent fasting", also "I think I just have good genetics".

both not true, but it works.

I don't care if people think I get thin without effort. I don't really want to inspire anyone to have ED habits... so I just try to dismiss the subject as fast as I can.

Also because I hate people commenting on my body

Yes for me it's a bit of both which is why I am not always sure.
I don't want for them to think it's natural (it might sound very unfair to some people who are struggling) and also as I know I can gain weight I don't want them to comment when I start to be blumpy ... in a "oh ! what happens ? you are naturally skinny aren't you ?'

But at the same time I don't want to drag anyone into any stupid things.

Yep ... with everyone telling about their ways and experience I think it helps ! 

THanks for all the sharing ! 

lovemyself.jpg

#17 MissGypsyRose

MissGypsyRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 September 2021 - 09:45 PM

Pretty sure I tend to just mumble something to try and get people to change the subject but reading the responses here reminded me of one time:

I literally got CORNERED in the bathroom by a co-worker who was practically ready to get down on her knees begging me "Tell me what I have to do!! Do I starve myself? Cut out everything that tastes good? Exercise until I drop???"

While I know I just brushed it off and moved on there's part of me that always wishes I'd looked her dead in the eye and said "Yeah, that's a good start."

• OrangePumpkinCat and Flaca2021 like this

#18 fistfightinggravity

fistfightinggravity

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCandanavia

Posted 07 September 2021 - 09:03 PM

I used to say because I was vegan, now I'm not anymore so I just say I've always been like this. Which is actually pretty true haha, since I've been dealing with my ED on and off since age 12.

40 . f . Candanavia

sunrise, sunset, then there's the day that i die

all the rest is a prison, or else it's a lie

#19 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 12:14 AM

People think I eat really cleanly, because I've been mostly vegan for years, and I rarely drink alcohol. Also most people know I walk a lot, partly from not having a car, but also just to get out and moving.

So they tend to assume a "clean" diet and no alcohol will do the trick. It's funny really, because despite being vegan I eat quite a lot of junk food. And I bake, which when you're on your own is a big lot of food each time. Folks seem to assume vegan cake is healthier than normal cake. Uh, no!

Mind you folks I really know tend to know I have an ED, though they may know more or less about it depending on what they've actually asked me. And male friends never notice anything, which is happily convenient! I hate to stereotype, but tis the truth. Apart from the one guy who asked me if I had a wasting disease because my fingers were really skinny, apparently. That was kind of weird, though he's a good man in general.

I’m also vegan and I totally understand. People think vegan is healthier all around but it depends because now there are so many processed vegan foods and baking vegan doesn’t make anything healthier or less calories. I bake a lot also, my kids love vegan treats although they aren’t vegan.
Also noting that my friends suspect my ED, my sister knows and knew I relapsed yet again, one friend I confided in… yet my husband didn’t notice a thing.

#20 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 12:21 AM

I think it’s interesting people actually genuinely asked. I’ve received many ill worded assumptions. Some technically correct but still, no one asked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users