what are ed books missing? - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

what are ed books missing?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yeepi

yeepi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5604 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 10:14 PM

does anyone think most ed stories are missing some vital component to make it seem... i dunno, tangible? are there any books that get it right? 

I feel like something's missing but can't put my finger on what.

• BigFatDreamer likes this

Webp-net-resizeimage.gif

saddest writer in the history of procrastination 

#2 bunniipaws

bunniipaws

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 August 2021 - 10:36 PM

in my experience, the person with the eating disorder (in movies and books) are always portrayed the same. usually angry, obsessed with literally every tiny detail, motivated to the max to work out or not eat or whatever, usually female, never binges

i know this can be some ppls experience obv but its so unrealistic compared to my own. i often feel unmotivated to fast or restrict for whatever reasons, i binge, i often go without counting calories in certain things, i HATE exercising

+ gross side effects like teeth and hair falling out, excess body hair, bad breath, etc is almost never touched on. all ive ever watched or read is usually 'pretty, skinny teen girl does sports and is highly successful and loved by everyone but she has a secret... she doesnt eat  :o'

[ + i dont think ive seen any ED media that doesnt include the person with the ED being popular or well-loved in some way ]

• AndThen, MorbidFixation, yeepi and 5 others like this

˗ˏˋ [ he / they, tone tags much appreciated ] ´ˎ˗

https://tellonym.me/bunniipaws

- ͙۪۪̥˚┊❛ fasting , restricting , binging ❜┊˚ ͙۪۪̥◌

height | 5'5

age | 16

HW | 220

CW | 220

LW | 160

GW | 200 ✧ 190 ✧ 180 ✧ 170 ✧ 160 ✧ 150 ✧ 140 ✧ 130 ✧ 120

UGW | from 120 to 90 , wherever i look best 

Web_Photo_Editor_2.jpg

#3 Ethereal.bby

Ethereal.bby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationIn Bed

Posted 31 August 2021 - 03:41 AM

in my experience, the person with the eating disorder (in movies and books) are always portrayed the same. usually angry, obsessed with literally every tiny detail, motivated to the max to work out or not eat or whatever, usually female, never binges

i know this can be some ppls experience obv but its so unrealistic compared to my own. i often feel unmotivated to fast or restrict for whatever reasons, i binge, i often go without counting calories in certain things, i HATE exercising

+ gross side effects like teeth and hair falling out, excess body hair, bad breath, etc is almost never touched on. all ive ever watched or read is usually 'pretty, skinny teen girl does sports and is highly successful and loved by everyone but she has a secret... she doesnt eat  :o'

[ + i dont think ive seen any ED media that doesnt include the person with the ED being popular or well-loved in some way ]

really though. The only thing i can think of that represented a small bit of ed varieties visually  is that newer movie on netflix "to the bones" but even there its the classic situation and all the other house mates barely got a rundown of their diagnosis unless they were the classic skinny anorexic or bulimic. then they received a scene or two.

• yeepi and bunniipaws like this

tumblr_lrfblmCtSL1r22bu5o1_400.png

C8gRlXi.pngC8gRlXi.pngC8gRlXi.pngC8gRlXi.pngC8gRlXi.pngC8gRlXi.png

23 ~ 5'5 ~ F

Sw:212

Cw:196

Ugw:125

C8gRlXi.pngC8gRlXi.pngC8gRlXi.pngC8gRlXi.pngC8gRlXi.pngC8gRlXi.png

tumblr_lrfblmCtSL1r22bu5o1_400.png

#4 preskool ♡

preskool ♡

tiny fairy

• Validating
  • 3841 posts
  • Location︻╦╤─ ҉ -¨ * ‧₊˚*♡ * *” ♡. ♡

Posted 31 August 2021 - 06:30 PM

diversity, not every girl with an ed (specifically ana) is white and not every black woman ever is obese (if you don't get it, basically all ed rep is an obese black woman with BED, which yknow, is fine.....expect it's weird that's the only rep for EDs that we and by we i mean black girls/women, and the skinny pretty popular ana girl trope is reversed for white women!) + the gross side effects as the person above mentioned.

• yeepi likes this

cenario+%252827%2529.gif

729422d0fv5c88wv.gif

sewerside is my partner in crime 

y'all misunderstand her FREE HER FROM MPA JAIL !!!! #freesewerside

but no srsly sewerside is so sweet i love her y'all should love her she has a funny accent and her face is cute SHES ADORABLE y'all just don't get her FREE HER !!!

🧃🌈🖍🎨🩹

#5 yeepi

yeepi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5604 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 03:43 PM

Oh thanks everyone. I really want to write a story where it really grasps the truth. As a bulimic I want it to touch upon the actual disorder and ugly side. I too am tired of the ana trope. Also I notice it's never older people. Which is sad because a lot of people are stuck with their disorder for what seems like forever.

Webp-net-resizeimage.gif

saddest writer in the history of procrastination 

#6 shiju333

shiju333

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 September 2021 - 03:47 PM

Longevity

"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain." ~ Karl Marx

#7 kroliks

kroliks

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 03:53 PM

always teens, often upper middle class, has a loving family. focuses on the early ed when it's all about appearance instead of the later development where you realize it's more than that. much of the ed media i've encountered will just focus on the behaviors more than its root

#8 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16512 posts
  • LocationWorrying about Crow in The Twisted Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:31 PM

So few cover racial diversity, males with EDs, trans and nb folk, lgbtqia2+, and older people. Also people who genuinely can't afford all the food you need to recover, or IP treatment. I would say those are all groups way more likely to get EDs but underdiagnosed, and the media image of a high school girl makes it even harder for these groups to speak up about it. Also it tends to always be anorexia or bulimia where the bulimic is thin, not average size bulimics. In the end this kind of media always glamourises the thin. Have you ever heard of an ED movie or book that none of us use as thinspo? 

• irin ଘ(*. .) likes this

~ A Witch comes out of lockdown stronger than before ~

The Abyss: Through-the-Twisted-Kingdom
Fae's Fantastic Guide To Flirting: Fabulous Fuck-ups & How To Avoid Them
Fae Tales & Spoken Word Poetry: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheVioletRaven/

B/P Free Counter:

zero

Stats & Challenges:

Spoiler

#9 kitn

kitn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 8296 posts
  • Locationur bathroom

Posted 27 September 2021 - 08:16 AM

the book wasted gets it right.. not from the "representation" aspect. but it's a memoir so based on reality.. unlike a lot of fictional ed books. 

ask me things

msgs broken sorry!

#10 wasting

wasting

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:49 PM

For fiction ed books: A character who is not rich, white, thin female, straight or young, EDs that are Not bulimia or Anorexia, someone who doesn't want to recover (for a fresh perspective), based in reality. ......

Since the 00s it feels like fictional ED books want to sensationalize EDs. ED characters have become tropes almost
Been tryna die since 09
24.F. 5’7.Cw:117lbs, UGW: 100lbs

#11 rabbitdaydreams

rabbitdaydreams

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:59 PM

failure to recover and unhappy endings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users