Anyone else work professionally with EDs? - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anyone else work professionally with EDs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bully.me.ugh

Bully.me.ugh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:41 PM

I know, I know. I’m a hypocrite. I work as a nurse for a well known eating disorder program. When I started, I swear I had good intentions. I was a few years behaviour free, and really thought I had put this eating disorder past me. But now I’m in the midst of a relapse. I just spent all shift advocating against disordered eating, but now I’m currently bingeing and purging in a parkade near work. I love my job, I really do. But I can’t help but wonder if I’m in it for the wrong reasons. I secretly pick up on new tricks and tips through my patients. I use my low weight admissions to purposely trigger me. But at the same time, I feel like my lives experience let’s me bond with my patients in a way no other nurse could. I just feel so alone. Is anyone else here a major hypocrite and work with eating disorders?
  • enchante likes this

#2 enchante

enchante

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:02 PM

i have always wanted to work with eating disorders as well. i don't think you're a hypocrite. you have a deep personal connection to it, and besides you said you started working there when you were at the time behavior free. the way i see it, you had struggled with something you'd overcome and wanted to help others do the same. you can't help the fact that you relapsed. don't feel guilty. i don't think you're in it for the wrong reasons at all.

just a shy girl with a tragic case of girl, interrupted syndrome

Accountability

instagram: courtney.lovehandles

tumblr: shyhoeshiloh

sc: tavroasted

SN74.gif

#3 a good sniff

a good sniff

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1226 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:10 PM

no, you're not a hypocrite at all. i think it's great that medical professionals who actually know what it is like (like you) to help those who are struggling with EDs. it's beyond admirable, and it is exactly what the sector needs more of. i applaud you for doing it, as i can see how it can be deeply triggering on your end, though, and i really hope you find peace and get better soon.

#4 Sketch#3202

Sketch#3202

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:25 PM

I work with survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault, which often results in eating disorders. I feel very hypocritical talking about "ED" issues and the importance of keeping your body nourished. BUT, I actually believe that being kind to, and nourishing your body IS critical to healing from trauma. I know others can do it, I am just not able to...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users