Anyone over 35? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anyone over 35?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:25 PM

I know the struggle is real no matter what your age is but it’s definitely different discussing this struggle with someone married with a family versus someone in school still. Just wondering if there are some closer to my age on here?
  • littlelightweight and loanesay like this

#2 Starduss

Starduss

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3866 posts
  • LocationThe bottom of the Baggie

Posted 14 September 2021 - 10:43 PM

Plenty https://www.myproana...orum/50-age-30/
  • littlelightweight and pickles312 like this
pfazq.png

#3 MadScientist

MadScientist

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1524 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:58 PM

Meeeeeee
I'm 36
  • LowKeyMonkey likes this

#4 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 12:07 AM

Plenty https://www.myproana...orum/50-age-30/

Thank you. I wasn’t seeing those on the mobile version, then again I’m not great with technology.

#5 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 12:08 AM

Meeeeeee
I'm 36

Hello! Appreciate your reply. How are you holding up?

#6 LydiaAgain

LydiaAgain

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:59 AM

I'm about to turn 34, if that counts! 

#7 Loz

Loz

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2795 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 03:07 AM

Yep I’m 37, have a long time partner (16 yrs) and a little baby. I sometimes feel on the outs like I don’t have much in common with many folk here. But I’m sure everyone feels that way some of the time here. And I just pick and choose what I read. Before I found this place I had never heard of terms like UGW or ‘safe food’. I didn’t count calories and would just starve myself. Now I use the term fasting rather than starving lol.

Nice to kno there’s others around my own age <3
  • Provacado likes this

#8 Skinnyminnie1984isback

Skinnyminnie1984isback

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2917 posts
  • LocationNorth U.K.

Posted 15 September 2021 - 03:18 AM

36 here. Feel too old for this shit but here I am back again
  • Provacado and Undiscovered Soul like this
5’7
Relapse sw 182
Cw 171
Lw 106
Gw 106
Ugw 98

#9 Dying2b3Th!n

Dying2b3Th!n

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1910 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:52 AM

I know the struggle is real no matter what your age is but it’s definitely different discussing this struggle with someone married with a family versus someone in school still. Just wondering if there are some closer to my age on here?

Im 34 but not married or kids.
Hw-165lbs lw-80lbs cw-144.2 lbs gw-105lbs when I was 17 years old hw- was 210 but I was just giving info on hw for this time around.
Thinness equals success, never give up, never give in!

#10 Thinner092

Thinner092

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4729 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:54 AM

Yes. I think the struggle stays the same but we have different challenges as adults. I’m divorced and had no kids so part of me never had to emotionally mature.

#11 Laura1982

Laura1982

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:43 AM

Hi, I’m 38 and had my ED for around 6 years now. Started I believe due to extreme weight gain after being prescribed a mood stabiliser medication xx

#12 Laura1982

Laura1982

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:46 AM

Yep I’m 37, have a long time partner (16 yrs) and a little baby. I sometimes feel on the outs like I don’t have much in common with many folk here. But I’m sure everyone feels that way some of the time here. And I just pick and choose what I read. Before I found this place I had never heard of terms like UGW or ‘safe food’. I didn’t count calories and would just starve myself. Now I use the term fasting rather than starving lol.

I’m pretty much the same as you, it’s become for myself more about the feeling of fasting and being addicted to this. I’m wondering if that’s what the ED is all about after all, the feeling more than anything but have had other ED behaviours before. It’s all a very confusing mess, don’t know what it’s all about sometimes  :( x

• Loz likes this

#13 MadScientist

MadScientist

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1524 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:00 AM

Hello! Appreciate your reply. How are you holding up?

I'm doing okay.. I think my wife is really frustrated with my ED, but feels helpless. She basically said that the other day. I hate that it causes tension between us, but it's also not something i feel I can fix right now because I'm "not sick enough" 😑
I keep telling myself that if I get down to a low enough BMI, then I'll deserve to get better because other people will see that something is wrong. Except that's stupid because everyone already knows I am anorexic, I've already done PHP once, and I'm now in an authority position at my lab where I really can't afford to take time off for more treatment. And of course my brain is like Gee that sounds stressful, why don't we restrict about it?
Lol WTF
... How are you??

#14 Bumpkin

Bumpkin

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the midst of the UK

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:06 AM

53….you think I would know better eh?
But I didn’t develop this mindset until I hit my 40’s so it can get you at any age.
I think it was a mixture of empty nest syndrome & pre menopausal etc
I just felt out of control.
I was never overweight to begin with so for me it was the mental side rather than physical looks.

"Everyone kept asking me if I wanted to die.

Well, no.

No I didn't want to die. But no one ever asked me if I wanted to live.”

Always look ahead, but never look back

When you are truly in the depths of this disease there is no UGW

The pit you keep falling further & further down in is bottomless

HW 65kg

LW 32kg

CW 35-36kg

5ft 2

#15 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:56 AM

I'm doing okay.. I think my wife is really frustrated with my ED, but feels helpless. She basically said that the other day. I hate that it causes tension between us, but it's also not something i feel I can fix right now because I'm "not sick enough" 😑
I keep telling myself that if I get down to a low enough BMI, then I'll deserve to get better because other people will see that something is wrong. Except that's stupid because everyone already knows I am anorexic, I've already done PHP once, and I'm now in an authority position at my lab where I really can't afford to take time off for more treatment. And of course my brain is like Gee that sounds stressful, why don't we restrict about it?
Lol WTF
... How are you??

My husband feels pretty helpless he said. He doesn’t understand. I’m actually waiting for an IOP to call me back for my intake. I’m not underweight but at my current BMI I still look like I am according to my medical team. I have numerous health conditions (probably stemming from a 27 year battle with my ED on and off. Because I also have complex PTSD and have trauma from hospitals my doctors agreed inpatient would actually be more detrimental. They aren’t wrong. I will fight that nonsense hard. And yet my goal (because this is how my brain works) is to get to underweight before my intake. I don’t have far too go and I’m a severe restricter.
So right now I’m anxious about this IOP coming up. My MIL is coming to stay with us and I honestly don’t want people around me knowing. Like if I can keep it a secret from the majority of people then I’m still in control? Although I’m not so even that is a twisted thought.
Seriously this battle isn’t easy. Every day I feel at war with my brain and body.

#16 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:00 AM

53….you think I would know better eh?
But I didn’t develop this mindset until I hit my 40’s so it can get you at any age.
I think it was a mixture of empty nest syndrome & pre menopausal etc
I just felt out of control.
I was never overweight to begin with so for me it was the mental side rather than physical looks.

I’m 41 and relapsed almost 3 years ago. I was really heavy from 4 pregnancies. Heaviest I’ve ever been. My last two pregnancies resulted in traumatic losses and I almost didn’t survive the last one. I think that triggered my relapse. I dropped 135 in 6 months. It was bad. Well bad for my body anyway. But it wasn’t until the weight still kept dropping and I’m at where I am now (7 pounds above that underweight mark that doctors freak about) that things got scary. Yet I can’t just turn it off. And the handful of people that know in my life seem to think I can.

#17 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:05 AM

Hi, I’m 38 and had my ED for around 6 years now. Started I believe due to extreme weight gain after being prescribed a mood stabiliser medication xx

I relapsed 3 years ago when I reached my highest ever weight due to 4 pregnancies in 5 years, two traumatic losses for the last two pregnancies, and an emergency total hysterectomy to save my life which threw me into menopause at 39. Then I was hearing things about menopause making you gain weight and I think the combination just set my brain into this mindset again. I’ve struggled with this on and off for 27 years though.

#18 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:08 AM

This is going to sound like a weird question. I don’t know the lingo the younger generations use on here and maybe I’m an old school Ana if that’s a thing. But I was wondering if anyone else goes through this. My one obsession with tracking is weighing every single morning and tracking my weight. It actually affects my day. Gain and it’s a bad day. Lose and it’s a good day. Sick right? But say the scale says 117, I for a flash second will swap the numbers and see 171 and panic. I have to really force myself to realize the actual number. Like my brain is swapping numbers to convince me I’m still too fat to “get better”.
I hope this makes sense.

#19 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:09 AM

36 here. Feel too old for this shit but here I am back again

I’m 41. So I get it. This is my first time on this board but I didn’t know these existed. I’m not a social media person so this took a lot. I was so nervous signing up like someone would find out.
  • Skinnyminnie1984isback likes this

#20 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:11 AM

Fasting sounds better than restricting. Maybe I should do that. I just say my stomach hurts. Lol
But I agree with the other things you mention. A lot of the time I feel out of place which is why I posted this. I’m 41. So a little older but you definitely are not alone and I’m glad to know I’m not either. Thank you for your reply.
  • Loz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users