Anyone over 35? - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Anyone over 35?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:12 AM

I'm about to turn 34, if that counts!

Yes that counts. You count. :)
I just picked a random number. I’m 41. Thank you for commenting.
  • LydiaAgain likes this

#22 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:14 AM

Thank you for all that replies. I wanted to try to reply to everyone but as an old lady I have arthritis due to multiple medical conditions (this probably doesn’t help either) and my fingers are telling me to stop typing. I appreciate you all for replying. It’s nice to know there are people around my age that can understand.
  • LydiaAgain likes this

#23 Laura1982

Laura1982

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:51 AM

I relapsed 3 years ago when I reached my highest ever weight due to 4 pregnancies in 5 years, two traumatic losses for the last two pregnancies, and an emergency total hysterectomy to save my life which threw me into menopause at 39. Then I was hearing things about menopause making you gain weight and I think the combination just set my brain into this mindset again. I’ve struggled with this on and off for 27 years though.

Aww this is heartbreaking, I’m so sorry you’ve had such a rough time my lovely, message me anytime if you want to x

#24 Hermia_3

Hermia_3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:23 PM

Me- 47. I don't know how that could happen. The Ed, not the age. That I know ;).

#25 loanesay

loanesay

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:33 PM

I’m 41 and married with three kids. Hi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 Carabiner_Chic

Carabiner_Chic

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:33 PM

I’m 36…
I find as an adult I am more & more embarrassed of my ED. I want to come across as strong & stable. Although I love my body at a low weight, I feel equally embarrassed by it around other people.

So, I’ve been forcing myself to maintain (BMI 17, but muscular) and eat as normally as possible around others especially. Doing it enough now, I can actually enjoy a dinner out w/ my boyfriend or friends. It was so hard at first, but I’ve actually proven to myself I won’t gain weight eating out/eating/drinking a real meal even a few days per week.

I want so much to be normal. So tired of my ‘problems’. It’s so frustrating that at the same time full recovery feels intolerable :(
  • littlelightweight and violete like this

#27 littlebug91

littlebug91

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:35 PM

I am 30 with 2 boys and a husband. It is very hard to find people in the "older" age bracket. 

• Current Diet: Restrictive to under 900

#28 Yellow Dog

Yellow Dog

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:42 PM

It’s both nice and sad to see we have a group here, 39 btw. Just relapsed again after a GI bug made me fast 24 hours

#29 sparrow99

sparrow99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:00 PM

I’m 39. First relapse after13 years of recovery :(

#30 littlelightweight

littlelightweight

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4641 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:13 PM

Welcome! I am 49……

#31 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:19 PM

I’m 36…
I find as an adult I am more & more embarrassed of my ED. I want to come across as strong & stable. Although I love my body at a low weight, I feel equally embarrassed by it around other people.

So, I’ve been forcing myself to maintain (BMI 17, but muscular) and eat as normally as possible around others especially. Doing it enough now, I can actually enjoy a dinner out w/ my boyfriend or friends. It was so hard at first, but I’ve actually proven to myself I won’t gain weight eating out/eating/drinking a real meal even a few days per week.

I want so much to be normal. So tired of my ‘problems’. It’s so frustrating that at the same time full recovery feels intolerable :(

I can completely relate to this. The desire to be thin but the embarrassment of having an eating disorder. It’s why I don’t tell anyone around me.

#32 MindOverFatter

MindOverFatter

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4105 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:40 PM

Not quite, but I'm 30.

#33 LydiaAgain

LydiaAgain

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:49 AM

Relate!  I had a similar period of recovery too, and honestly thought I was over this for good.  Darn pandemic did it for me. 

#34 SkinnyLizzie

SkinnyLizzie

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 05:08 AM

I'm 43. I live alone with two teenage kids,so things are definitely different for me than for someone still living at home/going to college. At the same time though,the struggle is universal.

"What's the ugliest
Part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's YOUR MIND" - Frank Zappa

#35 dissolve

dissolve

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Locationthe great southland

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:48 AM

Hundred percent embarrassed not to have my shit together at this point in my life.
One kid mentioned awhile ago that he noticed I’d lost weight, then proceeded to hassle me about it. But then he left on a trip and he kept hassling me but I said that’s not helpful and he backed right off. I know he cares but who wants to be telling their 24yo son they’ve got an ED?

#36 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:04 AM

I had a 14 year recovery (I’m 41) and really thought I was good, that I had finally gotten it under control. I was starting my family. But I know what set mine off this time, I kind of said some of it in another reply but won’t keep repeating it. It took me a couple of years to figure it out still and I only recently admitted that I’ve lost control again when my therapist said to me “you think I haven’t noticed you waste away to nothing right in front of me? I know there’s more going on.” I finally broke down. Like it felt like such a relief in a way to tell someone. I don’t talk about my stuff in person to people. And no one I know struggles with an ED or admits to it anyway. I was thankful to find this community for the understanding of peers without the anxiety of them being in person.
I also feel like the older we are the harder this is to beat? Maybe that part is just me.

#37 Duplo

Duplo

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3156 posts
  • LocationGeordieland, UK

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:05 AM

39 with 3 kids and 3 stepkids. Trying to hold down a professional job.

Height: 5ft (short AF)
CW: Denial (fat AF)

heart-arrow-pixel.gifMy Adventures with High Restriction - Daily Fatty Photos - drop by and give me some mojo! cat-pixel.gif

813befeb7661a56e94fa9627fbf5c144.gif

#38 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:07 AM

Hundred percent embarrassed not to have my shit together at this point in my life.
One kid mentioned awhile ago that he noticed I’d lost weight, then proceeded to hassle me about it. But then he left on a trip and he kept handling me but I said that’s not helpful and he backed right off. I know he cares but who wants to be telling their 24yo son they’ve got an ED?

My kids are both under 10. I’m 41 and started my family a bit late. I know they are worried but they don’t technically know. I have numerous health conditions already. I want to watch them grow up so I know I need to get my shit together. I get SO ANGRY at myself that I can’t just flip the switch and turn it off and start eating again. Being “normal”. Then that anger turns to more restricting and punishing my body because I blame it for failing.

#39 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:12 AM

Aww this is heartbreaking, I’m so sorry you’ve had such a rough time my lovely, message me anytime if you want to x

Thank you so much. That’s very sweet. My story isn’t an easy one to hear so I don’t often talk about it. But it is directly connected to this current relapse. Grief is a powerful powerful thing.

#40 LowKeyMonkey

LowKeyMonkey

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:14 AM

39 with 3 kids and 3 stepkids. Trying to hold down a professional job.

2 kids 1 bonus child (my stepkiddo). I can’t work right now. I’m not medically able to due to C-PTSD and my ED. That also angers me because I’ve worked for so long and this is literally taking everything away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users