Eating in social settings - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Eating in social settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Skinnymeeventually

Skinnymeeventually

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:49 PM

I’m 32 and for work we have a monthly lunch out with our employees. Since I started restricting a few weeks ago, I haven’t had a lot of experience eating in public. They all know me as the one who loves to eat. I ate a house salad and two pieces of bread and once my sandwich came and I wasn’t eating they questioned me. How do you get through meals without being questioned?

#2 korba

korba

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Locationharibo factory

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:03 PM

Since I became an adult I became aware of one thing: I can do whatever tf I want as long as I dont harm anyone.
If I dont want to eat that, I dont have to and I dont need to give an excuse.
You dont have to eat if you dont want to. Especially if you actually DID eat something.
Just say „Well I’m full and dont want anything anymore”. Like what, is someone going to open your mouth and push 1000 sandwiches into your throat? Doubt.

Just do nothing.
I go through meals exactly how I said: on my own terms.
No one in the first world should worry about sudden famine so really, you can skip any meal because if you get hungry there’s a supermaket you can buy or steal something from. I dont get WHY people even questioned you. They should mind their own bussiness.

my prefered pronoun is dumbass

show me pics of your cats and we’ll be friends
but I don’t think you want it cause I’m mean and it’s getting worse every day

#3 mpa2021

mpa2021

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 10:13 PM

Since I became an adult I became aware of one thing: I can do whatever tf I want as long as I dont harm anyone.
If I dont want to eat that, I dont have to and I dont need to give an excuse.
You dont have to eat if you dont want to. Especially if you actually DID eat something.
Just say „Well I’m full and dont want anything anymore”. Like what, is someone going to open your mouth and push 1000 sandwiches into your throat? Doubt.

Just do nothing.
I go through meals exactly how I said: on my own terms.
No one in the first world should worry about sudden famine so really, you can skip any meal because if you get hungry there’s a supermaket you can buy or steal something from. I dont get WHY people even questioned you. They should mind their own bussiness.

You said it 👏

#4 starshapes

starshapes

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 10:33 PM

this is something I'm still trying to teach myself, I'm an adult and in social situations I can eat as much or as LITTLE as I want.. just because I want to.

If people ask you can say you aren't that hungry, you filled up on salad, you had a big breakfast, you're saving room for a special dinner, just don't feel like eating much or w/e. people are nosey and will ask, but don't feel forced to eat more than you are comfortable with. 

#5 silenthungerstrike

silenthungerstrike

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1519 posts
  • LocationNeverland

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:58 PM

I remember working as a housekeeper at a hotel in my early 20s. All female staff. We were forced to have lunch breaks together....eating in front of your peers felt like shitting in public. I honestly hated it...what made it worse was that one of the girls who was underweight and ate like a teenage boy always felt the need to comment on how little or how much I was eating (only me).

I have a desk job now and I can literally go the entire day without eating. That being said, my boss likes to form a sense of comradery and we tend to have a staff appreciation day once a month plus a Christmas pot luck. The only good thing about COVID is that home made food is no longer permitted. I tend to get out of any social settings but if I have to eat, I play it safe with a salad and just claim that I had either a big breakfast or a late breakfast.

As long as you talk alot and socialize, its easy to distract others from how little you eat.

DGSQ.gif

>>Watch me build and Empire from the ashes of every single thing that tried to destroy me <<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users