Question to people who were once overweight - Starting at a higher BMI - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Question to people who were once overweight

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 korba

korba

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Locationharibo factory

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:45 AM

How did others react?
Was it like in that video „when fat girl goes skinny” (or whatever tf it’s called idk cause I find ED content kinda cringy and dont want to watch it really) and people were „proud” and jealous of weightloss?
Or were they concerned?
Cause I was on a date with my high school crush and he told me how pretty I look, but he considered me cute even when I was fat. He also said I look better now and he’s glad I seem to be liking myself more (LMAO dude I hate myslef always) buuut he’s worried about how rapid I lose and if I still „vomit sometimes” (my peers kinda knew cause I was caught once at a party but I didnt know he had remembered). Yada yada yada he said I need to eat normally or else I will be dead and apparently he wants to help??? He’s in med school and has a hero complex. I told him I’n fine but I know I’m gonna keep losing and when we see each other again I’m gonna be thinner and idk what he’s gonna say. Not his damn businnes I think to myself but on the other hand I’m kinda happy someone is worried? I’m glad he’s not stupid enough to glamorize disordered behaviors?
Idk.
Feel free to share your experiences
  • thereisafuturex and Sweet_Strawberry like this

my prefered pronoun is dumbass

show me pics of your cats and we’ll be friends
but I don’t think you want it cause I’m mean and it’s getting worse every day

#2 Marc Burmholdt

Marc Burmholdt

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7519 posts
  • LocationThe 80's

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:53 AM

my mother and father knew i was starving myself so they just said 'stop starving yourself, you'll turn into a shadow.' now i'm overweight again

and i oop

#3 korba

korba

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Locationharibo factory

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:10 AM

" data-cid="76181121" data-time="1632657218" data-date="Today, 12:53 PM">

my mother and father knew i was starving myself so they just said 'stop starving yourself, you'll turn into a shadow.' now i'm overweight again

Ahh yes. Telling someone to stop is a magic trick that will stop a mental illness.
Gotta love people’s logic.
I’n sorry you gained weight back.
Remember it can be lost again!

my prefered pronoun is dumbass

show me pics of your cats and we’ll be friends
but I don’t think you want it cause I’m mean and it’s getting worse every day

#4 Killandria

Killandria

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:09 AM

I was overweight my whole life until I left high school and lost weight eating healthy and before I knew it I was anorexic and people started to become “concerned” but not really if that makes sense? Older people would tell me to eat more because I’m too skinny but people my age up to 40 didn’t notice or at least never said anything if they did notice. But a while ago when I admitted to my friend that I ditched anorexia for bulimia she told me that when she use to visit me in the summer with our other friend that would also bust me with her would always ask her if I was okay and that they had a feeling I was having trouble with food. so basically No matter what ed phase im in or what my body looks like no one was really concerned or said anything and if they noticed they didn’t express their feelings towards it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 80sfilms

80sfilms

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Locationhanging off a building with the regulars

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:23 AM

Everyone was proud and no one was concerned. Someone who I've met like only 3 times recently came up to me to tell me I was 'weight loss goals', everyone is saying I look so much better and people wanna know how I did it. If someone lost 70 pounds the way I did and they weren't obese to begin with, I'm convinced people would be way more concerned and wouldn't congratulate them. 

But in a way, it makes sense. I don't think anyone really noticed how little I ate and how fast I lost, so they just see someone taking care of themselves and getting objectively 'healthier'; why wouldn't they be happy for me? 

• bonezofbronze, tiredandsad, mashunya and 3 others like this

hw: 245 (1-1-2021)

cw: 170.1 (12-10-2021)

gw: 150 

ugw: 110

#6 tiredandsad

tiredandsad

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:33 AM

i was overweight my whole life until highschool when i lost a bunch of weight and was diagnosed later with anorexia. My family and friends were supposedly worried about me losing so much weight and starving myself. Fast forward to me bingeing myself to a higher BMI, even though they know my past with anorexia they still make rude remarks about me being now double the size i used to be and how i was pretty then but not now. When i temporarily broke up with my bf and starved myself-not eating anything for days- my parents told me ''you should always be sad it's working you're losing weight''. So no i dont believe anyone was particulary truly concerned about me. 

• Sweet_Strawberry likes this

#7 Sweet_Strawberry

Sweet_Strawberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLand of chocolates (belgium)

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:41 AM

Lost 22 kg/48lbs  after a vacation and when i returned to school i got a few surprised looks because of how much weight i lost.

My mother didnt care even though she knew i wasnt eating anything for multiple days. My father was a bit worried but didnt really do anything to help and just switched the topic of the conversation after seeing that i lost weight.

Some people in school even came up to me and asked me how i lost weight and i just told them that i didnt eat (i dont see really a point in lying about plus none of them got worried about it either probably cuz they didnt believe me) and they didnt really say much about it. A few of my classmates opened up to me about their past eating disorders and told me to be careful and one of the teachers even got worried because to her i looked too sick (she called my mom but my mother doesnt really care and still didnt after the phone call). Other than that i got a few compliments on the weight loss and one classmate told me to stop losing weight and that i looked great both at my old and current size and that im just ‘big boned’. Also my mother said when i told her about my ed that i cant have an ed because im not skinny enough. 

Bulimic Orthorexic 

Longest water fast: 10 days 

HW: 80 kg / 176 lbs / 12.6 stones
CW: (?) Scale broke last weighed 68 kg / 149 lbs / 10.7 stones
LW: 58 kg / 127 lbs / 9 stones

GW1: 65 kg / 143 lbs / 10 stones
GW2: 60 kg / 132 lbs / 9.4 stones
GW3: 55 kg / 121 lbs / 8.6 stones
GW4: 50 kg / 110 lbs / 7.8 stones

UGW: Between 38-48 kg / 83-105 lbs / 5.9-7.5 stones 
original.png

My fasts/exercise/calorie blog

#8 tiredandsad

tiredandsad

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:56 AM

Lost 22 kg/48lbs  after a vacation and when i returned to school i got a few surprised looks because of how much weight i lost.

My mother didnt care even though she knew i wasnt eating anything for multiple days. My father was a bit worried but didnt really do anything to help and just switched the topic of the conversation after seeing that i lost weight.

Some people in school even came up to me and asked me how i lost weight and i just told them that i didnt eat (i dont see really a point in lying about plus none of them got worried about it either probably cuz they didnt believe me) and they didnt really say much about it. A few of my classmates opened up to me about their past eating disorders and told me to be careful and one of the teachers even got worried because to her i looked too sick (she called my mom but my mother doesnt really care and still didnt after the phone call). Other than that i got a few compliments on the weight loss and one classmate told me to stop losing weight and that i looked great both at my old and current size and that im just ‘big boned’. Also my mother said when i told her about my ed that i cant have an ed because im not skinny enough

damn that is so cruel! im truly sorry 

• %% ayna and Sweet_Strawberry like this

#9 bonezofbronze

bonezofbronze

Warrior

• Supporter
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 10:27 AM

Everyone liked me more. Which was a positive for work things and volunteering where people having a positive perception from jump was helpful to me. It was a negative anywhere else bc I can't stand unwarranted social interactions. Also, ppl felt more comfortable touching me when I was smaller and that disgusts me.

Everyone I personally know, except my mom, would congratulate me and I'm lucky enough that my friends didn't treat me differently. My mom though, she cried when she saw me back from college and freaked tf out. She knew it wasn't healthy and was really worried.

I gained back hella weight from recovery and "intuitive eating". Funny enough, if you're autistic, you can have a hard time with interoception so I can't really gauge fullness and I'm fairly hyposensitive to taste so I'm constantly searching for harsher tastes and textures. Not great for the whole "trust yourself" thing they push there lol. Anyway, interactions were positive for work and places where there were boundaries. Hated it when there were none.

#10 BakedBarbie

BakedBarbie

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:08 PM

I was overweight for a brief period and I made sure no one saw me like that. Oops. But in general people were so much more disrespectful to me because of it. Like suddenly with my weight gain I had lost points off my iq or something..? Idk now that I’m nearly underweight people open doors for me are super nice and even view me as more competent.
  • mashunya likes this

#11 toBskinny117

toBskinny117

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 06:40 PM

I went from overweight BMI to normal weight pretty fast, in a matter of months. My mom literally groomed me since I was 5 to follow her ED ways so of course she was super proud and wanted to take me to buy clothes and things. My other immediate family and close friends didn’t treat me differently or comment on the weight loss, but I could tell they had a different way of talking to me & looking at me. It’s hard to explain. Like they were concerned but knew I was happier so they didn’t say anything. Random people I went to school with were definitely shocked and treated me way better. This one guy that used to bully me commented on an IG post of mine and said “wow you got hot” -_- it was super triggering to get a sudden surge of interest from guys like that. I moved schools after the weight loss and everyone I met at my new school treated me so much better, it was shocking!! But even then, some people were still mean and I had one random guy point out my stretch marks in front of my whole class :// it really depended, some people are just assholes.

#12 Tree Cookie

Tree Cookie

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 September 2021 - 11:16 PM

I'm not skinny yet, but I did go from a very obese to a normal BMI wicked fast (by non ED people standards) and reactions have been overwhelmingly positive. Only my mother and my sister have expressed any degree of concern, but it's assuaged by the idea that since I'm generally relatively healthy (or at least the same as usual, as far as they can tell), it can't be that bad. Mostly they're just proud and impressed.

More recently the concern has become a little more apparent, though. Probably because an obese person can naturally shed weight more easily and rapidly, while someone in the normal range shedding 20+ lbs in a month is more glaringly dangerous.

🍕 Obese bitch 🍕
He/they
5'8
210 205 200 190 180 170 160 150 140 130 120

tumblr_msvrxymube1rhgf17o1_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users