Your favorite fat source/ easiest way to increase fat intake? - Low Carb Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Your favorite fat source/ easiest way to increase fat intake?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3554 posts
  • LocationThe downstairs laboratory in the castle you shouldn't go near.

Posted 08 October 2021 - 05:22 PM

I've been really into olive oil lately and discovered that, at least for myself, I find it much easier and far more palatable to get more fat in by putting olive oil on raw vegetables (salad for example) than by sautéing vegetables in butter.

I hypothesized that since butter is 82% fat by weight (not calories), whilst olive oil is 91+% of fat by weight, and sautéing vegetables nearly always makes them shrink in volume so the butter to vegetable ratio goes up. So it's been easier for me to reach the "ugh, this is too much butter for this sautéed vegetable dish" level compared to the "ugh, this is too much olive oil for this amount of salad" level. So I was able to get in more dietary fat (in grams) before it got gross, by eating salad with olive oil compared to eating vegetables sautéed in butter.

So what is your preferred way of getting in your dietary fat?

Temporary lapse.

#2 Iseline

Iseline

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:47 AM

Cheese. Always cheese. God, it's so good.

I do coleslaws and make my own ice cream too, and that adds a lot of fat.

• Igorina likes this

If this stuff is too nice for you, I've got some crap.

#3 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3554 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:47 AM

Cheese. Always cheese. God, it's so good.

I do coleslaws and make my own ice cream too, and that adds a lot of fat.

Cheese and coleslaw are sadly not on the menu for me. But do you have a favorite ice cream recipe?

Temporary lapse.

#4 Iseline

Iseline

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:01 AM

Cheese and coleslaw are sadly not on the menu for me. But do you have a favorite ice cream recipe?

My base recipe is (2 servings, so I save half in the freezer):

300 ml whipping cream (not sure how to translate it). I haven't tried vegan alternatives, but it might work?

2 eggs

2-3 tablespoons sweetner (I use erythritol)

a little vanilla powder (half a teaspoon or so, vanilla extract works too of course)

Whip the cream and eggs+sweetener fluffy separately, mix them together and run it in the ice cream maker for 20 mins (I have a really small and cheap one, but it works great).

I found super-concentrated essences (made for baking and candy-making) to flavour it, so I usually do licorice, toffee, mint, cinnamon, mocca or cherry (not together!). I'm allergic to berries after covid (*sigh*), but I would add a little blueberries if I could.

• Igorina likes this

If this stuff is too nice for you, I've got some crap.

#5 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3554 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:45 AM

My base recipe is (2 servings, so I save half in the freezer):

300 ml whipping cream (not sure how to translate it). I haven't tried vegan alternatives, but it might work?

2 eggs

2-3 tablespoons sweetner (I use erythritol)

a little vanilla powder (half a teaspoon or so, vanilla extract works too of course)

Whip the cream and eggs+sweetener fluffy separately, mix them together and run it in the ice cream maker for 20 mins (I have a really small and cheap one, but it works great).

I found super-concentrated essences (made for baking and candy-making) to flavour it, so I usually do licorice, toffee, mint, cinnamon, mocca or cherry (not together!). I'm allergic to berries after covid (*sigh*), but I would add a little blueberries if I could.

Thank you so much for the recipe and the method.

Sad to hear that you have become allergic to berries.

Temporary lapse.

#6 loony26

loony26

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:33 AM

Mine's hummus and peanut butter. Not sure how healthy the latter is, but it's high in fat. Hummus has some fat too, and it's delicious and you can eat it with almost zero kcal things, like crudites. xx

• Igorina likes this

0274cf873304389f0f7c10ebe134ee8b.gif

my accountability -- make yourself at home 

my personal blog website? internet display area?

Height: 163.5 cm (5'4")

CW: 55 kg (121 lbs) 

GW: 52 kg (114 lbs)

HW: 70 kg (154 lbs)

LW: 39 kg (86 lbs)

Spoiler

#7 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3554 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 02:46 PM

Mine's hummus and peanut butter. Not sure how healthy the latter is, but it's high in fat. Hummus has some fat too, and it's delicious and you can eat it with almost zero kcal things, like crudites. xx

Who doesn't love peanut butter? :) It's one of my favorite things, despite the idea that it may not be the healthiest nut butter to have. But I'm trying to be less orthorexic, so I think peanut butter can be part of a healthy lifestyle.

Hummus is awesome. I had bought it a few times ready made from the supermarket and eventually wanted to try making it myself so I could tweak the amount of garlic in it.

I bumped into a hummus recipe from a youtube channel called "Refika's kitchen" (turkish and mediterranean food) and had a look at the chick peas available from my local supermarket.

And then I found out, to my great shock and disappointment, that canned chickpeas (drained) have 14 to 20 grams of net carbs per 100gr depending on the brand of canned chickpeas.

The potatoes I can buy here are 18gr to 19gr of net carbs and are considered a starchy staple food. So that makes chickpeas (and hummus made from chickpeas) a high carb food in my book.

I'm not completely banning it from the menu but I'm reserving chickpea hummus for special occasions.

Then I found another authentic hummus recipe from the same channel and it uses broad beans instead of chick peas. Refika said "this would be even tastier if you can get fresh broad beans". As it turns out I can only get fresh broad beans and not the dried ones. My local supermarket sells fresh broad beans in their freezer section.

They're only 4gr net carbs per 100gr, so significantly less than chickpeas. I already tried the recipe out and it's pretty great. There is a noticeable flavor and texture difference between chick pea hummus and hummus made with fresh broad beans, they're both great in their own ways imo. I boiled the fresh broad beans according to the instructions on the package, then proceeded according to the broad bean hummus recipe.

I recommend trying the recipe even if you're not concerned about carb intake;

https://youtu.be/ywp...NCQM25sIrWLHQ3F

Temporary lapse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users