How Do You Stop - BED Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How Do You Stop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Viclikesmi

Viclikesmi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 10:34 PM

I know there isn’t a magical cure to solve binge eating issues, but I need to control myself and I find myself struggling so badly. Any tips on stopping binges???

#2 anniebunnie

anniebunnie

Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 10:43 PM

stop restricting!!! recover!!

• coldthin likes this

she/they/them

5'2.5

sw, hw, pre-ed: 125 ~ bmi 21.4

cw: boob haha ~ bmi boob

lw: 65 ~ bmi 11.5

ugw: 58 ~ bmi 10.3

6dc5bff3b2b6b20acf1ad01ff6840e63.jpg

goals:

collarbones <3

thigh gap

bony wrists <3

ribs when relaxed

sharp jawline <3

fingers around middle of arm <3

fingers around upper arm

cheekbones <3

bony knees

chest bones

hip bones

sunken eyes <3

#3 delfindeplastic0

delfindeplastic0

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Location-

Posted 09 October 2021 - 02:10 AM

Maintenance, lots of water, healthy foods, exercirse, having a busy productive life and THERAPY!!!! I know it sounds cliche but it's the only thing you can do :/ if binging was easy to control there wouldn't be so many obese people in the world. 

• Rated F for fat, gennevieve, Viclikesmi and 1 other like this

╔═══°∴,*⋅✲══〖✰〗══✲⋅*,∴°═══╗

gfhfghfgh

Your eating disorder is valid

regardless of your age and size.

You deserve to get help.

gfhfghfgh

╚═══°∴,*⋅✲══〖✰〗══✲⋅*,∴°═══╝

#4 branlew

branlew

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 09:06 AM

I've had BED for 3/4 of my life. I can get it into remission but it's always there lurking in my brain. Things that help me are PLANNING and PREPARATION.

For example, I will not go to the store without a physical planned out list in my damn hand and I always drink a 100 cal protein drink before I go.

When I come home I prepare all my stuff. So what I do is I open packages and use plastic baggies to portion everything. Open the cheerios cereal and 20g in each baggie then I put all the portioned baggies back in the box. Sugar free chocolate chips are 14g in a bag and I store them in the freezer. I seperate each 80cal hamburger bun into a bag and freeze them too. I open the protein bars and cut them into halves or thirds depending on size and baggie them and store them in the fridge. I put many things in the freezer because it's less appealing to binge on frozen food and the portions slow me down and allow me a second to think if I'm starting to binge.

Finally plan in your tracking app (I use LOSEIT) in the morning what the plan is for your day. I make bad choices if I have to come up with a meal on the spot. If I take the 6 minutes to thoughtfully plan out my meals and snacks in the morning I'm more likely to eat to plan after dark even though that's "binge o'clock".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • TraumatisedUnicorn and Shug like this
Spoiler

#5 Shug

Shug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:40 PM

I have my kitchen fully stocked with safe food to prepare for Dad and me... and I threw away binge food or anything that I can use to make binge food.  I have a mouthful of sweet teeth, so no grains (pasta, flour, cereal, cake mixes) and no sweets (sugar, syrup, jelly, artificial sweeteners, jello/pudding, canned fruit/filling).  Nope, no granola/protein bars for me!  Too much like cookies!  No choc chips, baking chocolate.... 

My brother was shocked, SHOCKED when he saw the cupboards the day after I moved in!

It really simplifies meal prep when there are loads of veggies, fruits, unprocessed meats, full fat dairy (which doesn't bother me), fish, eggs, nuts, and seeds around.  I can make meals on the fly.

Also helps if I use my *Power* of choice whenever possible.  Neaten things up!  Do stuff!  Do laundry (very therapeutic)! File bills!  Play the piano!  Talk to friends (human and furry ones... also the Divine One)!  Move!  Exercise!  Listen to music!  Learn a foreign language!

Know that YOU have the power! 

Good on you for coming here!  You've already started your recovery!  You're not binging right this moment, are you?  Even if you are, it's not to late to STOP. 

Pray.

Breathe.

Write down your thoughts:  Before, During, and After your binge.  Your brain is lying to you.  Talk back to the lies.

Someone mentioned a couple of books about being Free of Binging Forever.  (can't remember title or author).  Look for the > 140 Days Without Binging thread.

Be inspired!  Feel better soon, my sister!

Love 'n Hugs,

Shug

• Rated F for fat, St.CatherineofSienna and TraumatisedUnicorn like this

#6 Shug

Shug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:03 PM

As long as you have a pulse, it's NEVER too late to stop binging!

B  R   E   A    T   H   E.

One of the books is Brain Over Binge.  You don't have to obey The URGE.  Just ride it out, and be curious about it; record all your thoughts and evaluate them.  Let The URGE pass.  It will eventually.  I promise! 

Eventually it goes away completely for the day.

Go to bed early.  Get up early and get stuff done. 

Deal with whatever makes you feel powerless, incapable, anxious, etc. -- the root cause of The URGE.  Gradually The URGE comes less and less often... until you are totally free of it!

You'll free up LOTS of head space and time to do things you'd much rather be doing than wasting time, money and all the progress you've made by binging.

Wishing all of us peace tonight.

Hugs,

Shug

• ekkiana and Rated F for fat like this

#7 ekkiana

ekkiana

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2621 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:46 PM

HIgHLY recommend reading Brain Over Binge, as mentioned by Shug. Also the accompanying book Brain Over Binge Recovery Guide even more so!
  • Shug likes this

Height: 170.5cm (5’7”)
HW: 84kg (BMI 29) - Overweight
SW: 73.5kg (BMI 25) - Overweight
CW: 67kg (BMI 23.2) - Healthy Weight
GW 1: 63kg (BMI 21.8) - Healthy Weight
GW 2: 60kg (BMI 20.8) - Healthy Weight
GW 3: 55kg (BMI 19) - Healthy Weight
GW 4: 50kg (BMI 17) - Underweight
GW 5: 44kg (BMI 15) - Underweight
LW: 40kg (BMI 14) - Underweight
UGW: 39kg (BMI <14) (I just kind of want to say I got into the 30’s but also I know that’s really dangerous!)
UGW 2: 30kg (BMI 10.4) - Underweight (Will never get here, it's too low, I'd die I think, but hm I wish I could say I'd made it to BMI 10, so fucked up)

#8 Crazylikebananas

Crazylikebananas

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:41 AM

I literally just had this question in mind. Actually, I always have this question in mind, but I haven’t figured out the answer yet :/

#9 FireoftheLily

FireoftheLily

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:25 AM

I've had BED for 3/4 of my life. I can get it into remission but it's always there lurking in my brain. Things that help me are PLANNING and PREPARATION.

For example, I will not go to the store without a physical planned out list in my damn hand and I always drink a 100 cal protein drink before I go.

When I come home I prepare all my stuff. So what I do is I open packages and use plastic baggies to portion everything. Open the cheerios cereal and 20g in each baggie then I put all the portioned baggies back in the box. Sugar free chocolate chips are 14g in a bag and I store them in the freezer. I seperate each 80cal hamburger bun into a bag and freeze them too. I open the protein bars and cut them into halves or thirds depending on size and baggie them and store them in the fridge. I put many things in the freezer because it's less appealing to binge on frozen food and the portions slow me down and allow me a second to think if I'm starting to binge.

Finally plan in your tracking app (I use LOSEIT) in the morning what the plan is for your day. I make bad choices if I have to come up with a meal on the spot. If I take the 6 minutes to thoughtfully plan out my meals and snacks in the morning I'm more likely to eat to plan after dark even though that's "binge o'clock".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I prep my stuff too after I come home from the store. My problem is that I binge while prepping, which is what I did last night. What are your methods to combat this, if you don't mind me asking?

#10 coldthin

coldthin

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3257 posts
  • LocationNunya

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:21 PM

This may not be the type of advice you're looking for but one of the best things you can do in recovering from any addiction or addiction-like behavior,  is to try to forgive yourself and be easy on yourself as much as  possible.

The more you punish yourself, tell yourself how dissapointed you are, how much you messed up, how you failed, etc,  the worse you're going to feel, and the worse you're going to feel, the more likely you are to repeat the rewarding behavior (in this case binging).

I have a myriad of different addictions that I use and rotate between for this very reason,  and therapy has helped me a LOT with these issues. I find it strange that people commonly view binging as this "physical"  issue and don't see therapy as an option  (I don't know about you ofc, maybe you're already going to therapy)  but my point is that even if your binging didn't start from some kind of psychological issue,  the addiction itself tends to work in a cycle of punishment and reward. Something to think about.

gallery_603345_69913_311266.gif

they / them  he / him

I think I'm pretty smart but then again I'm also an absolute fool so you'll never know which version you get to see

my thread  ^u^

Spoiler

stats under spoiler

gallery_603345_69913_2247.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users