Glowy Skin and Thick Hair - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Glowy Skin and Thick Hair

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PerfectBlueButterfly

PerfectBlueButterfly

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:50 PM

do you guys have any secrets or tips as to how to maintain like such glowy and clear skin both on your face and body as well as such thick and shiny hair while restricting? I really would appreciate some help for either departments?

#2 sleepyfaefae

sleepyfaefae

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationLocked in my own insanity

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:52 PM

For skin, I have a skincare routine and take doxycycline for acne. For hair... I need some tips too bc with alopecia + ed, I keep losing so much hair everyday.

height: 5'4/163cm

hw: 160

lw: 1o3

cw: 104

gw: 100

ugw: 95

My accountability: https://www.myproana...accountability/

db5071d190172bd5ceaa50f810fe425a.gif

#3 ratpunx

ratpunx

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:05 PM

the only tips I have is what everyone else suggests so I may not be much help. biotin, zinc, and basically getting in a multivitamin (don't overdose on vitamins tho cuz that's bad). I recommend also doing an oil cleansing method for skincare, or using gentle basic things like cetaphil. for oil cleansing I rec jojoba oil, and you can look up tutorials on YouTube for how to do it. also sunscreen, sunscreen, SUNSCREEN. I like tamanu oil (can be pricey) for moisturizer as well. honestly just do some research on oils/oil cleaning, and find what oils would work best for your skin type. mine is very sensitive so that's just what I use. 

another thing for hair is olaplex! it is a bit pricey, but it does wonders. you can either invest in the shampoo/conditioner or just the hair treatment/mask. if that's too pricey, doing oil treatments 1-2x a week with olive oil (you can mix oils too for a more beneficial mask) for a few hours or overnight. don't wash your hair everyday, get a dry shampoo for in-between washes. either every other day or as long as possible that you can stand having "dirty" hair. 

hope this helps!

• StarvingLlama*-* and zombiehands like this

SzEBAa.gif

(they/she)

body stats

cw: 158.2

height: 5ft 1in

bmi: 29.8

bf: 34.3%

muscle: 32.5%

sw: 130

lw: 113

gw1: 140

gw2: 120

gw3: 100

ugw: 90

xIDGXU.gif

#4 Rated F for fat

Rated F for fat

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1135 posts
  • LocationTrash Town USA ,Home Of Bullshit

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:07 PM

Sunscreen. The sun RUINED my skin so much and I'm trying hard to get it back.

• MultitudesOfStars likes this

Formally known as Iliveadoublelifesorry

But I don't live a double life anymore. This is my life. This is me.

My safe place https://www.myproana...-its-fall-btch/

Cw 128.6
Hw (that I know of) 155
Lw (that I low of ) 126.3
Gw 115 by HALLOWEEN
Ugw 110 for now
❤️🎈
weight loss rewards:
   A NEW LIFE

164826.gif

#5 aloof!

aloof!

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1398 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:50 PM

glowy skin and thick hair while starving? 
sorry, maybe if you're high restricting and a healthy bmi, but once you get underweight or med/low restricting it's all gonna fall apart no matter what you do. 

• MultitudesOfStars, Oh Happy Day, slimmypretzel and 4 others like this

170 / 5'7" | hw 65+ / 145+ | lw 45 / 100 | cw 50.7 / 111.8 | ugw 45 / 100 | bmi 17.5

tumblr_nxyfqzOVbK1ul5mg5o1_500.png

"just because you know you're colourblind doesn't mean you can see the colours"
accountability

#6 Oh Happy Day

Oh Happy Day

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • Locationsitting in the middle, waiting

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:33 AM

ED behaviours don’t tend to result in thick hair and glowy skin. I don’t mean to be rude, but is this a joke?
  • sleepyfaefae likes this
GW: nothing

#7 SpongebobZeroPants

SpongebobZeroPants

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1589 posts
  • LocationIn a pineapple under the sea?

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:46 AM

Long-term, this is NOT gonna work. ED behaviors are the opposite of nearly everything you should do in order to keep your body/skin/hair looking young and healthy long-term.

All the more so the many here who combine anorexia with drugs/alcohol, smoking, junkorexia, b/ping, no sleep, and many trips to the beach wearing as little as possible. 

• Oh Happy Day, StarvingLlama*-*, honeypearlsandbliss and 1 other like this

I am trying hard to stay medically stable, after having caused permanent multiple organ damage, and losing everything I loved in my life to ED.

Did you know?:

*Female bodies generally require a minimum 1200cal/day; Males, 1800cal/day; just to have basic organ function (can require a lot more if tall and/or athletic).

*800 cal/day or less is considered medical starvation.

*The definition of high restriction is no more than a few hundred cals below TDEE. The definition of low restriction is generally anywhere between your BMR (likely at least 1200 cal/day), and high restriction. So for a person who when healthy has a TDEE of 2000 cal/day, high restriction is about 1600-1950, and low restriction is about 1200-1600. With patience, it is very possible to increase your TDEE so you can eat a lot more without gain.

*Eating less harms metabolism and shuts down systems. Eating more than the bare minimum can make metabolism work faster, and also help you feel way better. Low restriction is not necessary, is counterproductive, often leads to binges, and is super dangerous. It also causes the body to eat muscle and bone faster, which frequently leads to heart failure, osteoporosis, and seizures, among other things.

*The brain requires at least 130g of carbs at minimum, per day, just to function. And that is assuming you're not doing a ton of exercise, or very tall or muscular, or in other ways burning through the stores more quickly. Eating less than that, risks not only your intelligence, but causes more anxiety, BDD, depression, makes it very hard to think clearly and make reasonable decisions (including regarding the ED), and risks your organs failing because the brain is responsible for telling each of them what to do. It can also lead to dizziness, coordination, and speech and language problems. 

*You train your brain how to think, and your body how to act, with repetitive behaviors. Repeating healthy thoughts and behaviors every day makes being healthy get a lot easier. Repeating unhealthy thoughts and behaviors every day, makes getting better a lot harder.

*Malnutrition biologically causes depression, anxiety, and OCD behaviors like ED to get way worse. The brain needs carbs, healthy fats, B vitamins, Vit. D, calcium, and magnesium, among other things, to be able to think straight and feel happy. Getting enough of each, can make ED symptoms lessen in whole lot in time.

*Drinking around 96 oz. water/day, getting in daily balanced electrolytes and a multivitamin, and eating just a little bit of a wide range of foods and types of nutrients, can reduce likelihood for organ failure and seizures.

*The longer you stay in ED, the more severe your behaviors need to be to get the same results. It gets way harder over time, not easier, to hit goals.

*ED damage is cumulative, and each relapse gets increasingly more dangerous.

*Pro-ana content makes people sadder.

*ED makes everything in life worse, and does not solve problems. Building a wide range of stress management skills is a much better option, that also has longer-lasting results.

*Recovery might feel rough for a year, or a year and a half, but will feel awesome then for the rest of your life. Harm reduction is way better than nothing! Each day we get to live, is a new day to start over and try again.

*A majority of people with ED recover fully eventually. You can get there! The sooner you try, and commit fully to it though, the easier it is and the more likely it is to be permanent. It is easier if you don't have brain/organ damage yet. Keep trying! You deserve to be happy and healthy. <3

#8 PlinytheElder

PlinytheElder

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:56 AM

Look, let me put it this way. I have always had luscious hair and an oily skin type. I am high restricting and at a healthy weight.
This is what the palms of my hands are looking like at the moment. They developed wrinkles, dry patches and the skin can be literally peeled off. I have been actively disordered this since June. I am 25, for reference.

Attached Files

Height: 170cm
HW: 67kg
LW: 49kg
CW: 59kg
GW: 55kg (let's hope it stops here... hehe)

#9 Princess_999_emergency

Princess_999_emergency

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:18 AM

These ideas might help slow the deterioration for a little while, but my bmi is 18.3 and even with that, the low restriction has definitely started to impact.

Despite a religious skin care routine my skin is in a constant breakout. Despite top range shampoo and conditioner, my hair is dry compared to a few months ago. It rooms so long to recover my hair when I recovered last time. And I always get some spots, but these aren’t hormonal and aren’t in my usual t zone.

Sorry, but it’s not going to change until your body is healthy - it grows from your body remember! And skin is part of the body.

177cm
HW: 77 kilos

LW: 47.5 kilos

UGW: 44 kilos

CW: 56.2 kilos … BMI: 17.9

GW1: 63

GW2: 58

GW3: 55

GW4: 52

GW5: 49

GW6: 47

UGW: 44

#10 Dying2b3Th!n

Dying2b3Th!n

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:51 AM

glowy skin and thick hair while starving?
sorry, maybe if you're high restricting and a healthy bmi, but once you get underweight or med/low restricting it's all gonna fall apart no matter what you do.

Yes yall i dont think its possible especially the older you get and lower you restrict. For me especially i was able to have color to my skin when i was younger. But for me it doesnt necessarily have that much to do with food unless of course im severely underweight and my vitamins are shit, mines mainly lack of sleep and getting no sun which i havent for a while. Ive been lacking on sleep and isolating myself. Which the isolation has more to do with something else going on and deoression then it does my ed because the ed never affected that part of my life for me. But you get the point. Sorry it this doesnt make sense and for rambling its 3:50am here.
  • aloof! likes this
Hw-165lbs lw-80lbs cw-144.2 lbs gw-105lbs when I was 17 years old hw- was 210 but I was just giving info on hw for this time around.
Thinness equals success, never give up, never give in!

#11 honeylungs

honeylungs

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSouth Beach

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:57 AM

Gotta echo the room here - Once you're in the low BMI's and restricting a ton, it's really unavoidable. In the meantime my suggestions are as others have said, good skincare & vitamins. Avoid sugar binges, drink plenty of water, try to get good rest. I also personally recommend investing in a good boar brush- it brings the oils from your scalp down the strands to keep them shiny and looking healthy. That being said, the fall out from lack of nutrition is from the root. It's very ironic to me how eating disorders get branded as a vanity disease :/

🌞

amanda // 34 // south beach

6'ft 

cw- 179.8 [10/13/21]

hw- 267 [2/2021 - highest ever 😩]

st gw- 160 [20lbs to go!]

gw- 130

🦋 

#12 Emo kid

Emo kid

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1587 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:21 AM

Even though I’m a hairdresser I can’t say much but…
Take vitamins
Shampoo twice then condition
Get a blood test to find out which vitamin you need cause that can help. Trust
Scalp massage can help blood flow for growth
Switch up your shampoo and conditioner , your hair gets used to it

And my skin is so clear right now so I’m going to leave everything I use and what I do but I have really dry skin and some eczema or psoriasis I forgot maybe both
But if my skins really dry I won’t wash it I’ll apply a thick moisturiser (the cerave one in the tub) like a mask or I’ll keep re applying through out the day to soften my skin so when I wash it it doesn’t hurt.

I use the cerave Hydrating Facial Cleanser with a silicone facial brush to help clean my face and Help with blood flow.
Then I use the Revolution Skincare Targeted Blemish Serum 2% Salicylic Acid with a jade roller
I will then use either the revolution moisturiser 30spf
Or the carave facial moisturiser
But if my Face is really dry I use the Cerave cream in the tub

If you wear make up use a cleansing balm
They normally come in a tub and it goes from a solid to an oil then do your skin care.
It’s saved my skin.

#13 the vvitch

the vvitch

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:21 AM

I have thin hair and dull, acne prone, ugly skin when I'm NOT restricting idk I don't think it's possible.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

giphy.gif?w=525&ssl=1

hw:150 lbs

lw: 87 lbs

cw: 136 lbs

gw: 95 lbs

#14 Lovelybonespook

Lovelybonespook

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • LocationKentucky USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:31 AM

Avoid dairy products if you’re acne prone. Dairy causes inflammation which for acne prone people means acne.

Drink LOTS of water. Take a multivitamin. Do not eat below 800 calories a day and make sure the foods you eat are nutritious and not processed junk.
(Lean meat, nuts, beans, grains, eggs, vegetables, healthy fats)

Eat enough protein. Your hair needs protein.

Even if you do all of this if you don’t have naturally thick hair don’t expect to have it just because your diet is healthy. If your hair is naturally thin you can consider clip in extensions there’s no shame in that. Most celebrities wear them for added volume. Be sure to take good care of your hair too. Oil treatments, heat protectants and air drying your hair whenever possible will all help it look it’s best.
BMI: 17.2
CW: 111 lbs
GW: 100 lbs
LW: 95 lbs
HW: 126 lbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users