Meal replacement products? - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Meal replacement products?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Claudia_*

Guest_Claudia_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:55 AM

Hi, I have ARFID and am undiagnosed currently. I have a had two periods over the course of the past 4 years where I was nutritionally "well" and it was amazing. I want to get back there but I'm spiraling and looking for an immediate solution for my health. I'm hoping to find something which has all the vitamins and minerals needed plus protein and carbs. My behavior of late is missing mutiple meals due to indecision and I'm starting to feel dizzy and faint. I just need a back up option if I can't choose actual food. Anything you could recommend? Thanks in advance!

#2 Tardigrades and Tea

Tardigrades and Tea

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1662 posts
  • Locationmy own personal prison of meat and bones

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:24 AM

I don't do meal replacements myself, but my roommate always gets Ensure or Boost if they're having trouble eating meals regularly. They just grab a bottle and go and they're good for a while, and I guess the taste is fine because they keep buying them. Obviously you still don't want to do that for every meal if you don't have to, but it's great when you're going through a rough patch

• Scaletale likes this

back on my bs

they/them

#3 NLP

NLP

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3145 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 11:30 AM

Nourish by Jane Clarke  ?

Nourishing drinks aimed at the elderly

Not sure if avail outside UK tho

Functioning dysfunctionally

#4 TraumatisedUnicorn

TraumatisedUnicorn

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1465 posts
  • LocationMy bed

Posted 17 October 2021 - 04:09 PM

I get fortisips pescribed but before I had them on pescription I used to buy them in bulk off ebay and amazon. Each bottle has 25% of your daily vitamins/minerals in so if you can manage 4 bottles a day then you're sorted (though it is low in potassium and sodium in order to be suitable for people with kidney failure so you will probably need to drink some electrolyte drinks to keep those levels topped up too.)
They come in either 200ml bottles or 125ml bottles if you get the compact version (the conpact version contains lactose though, just a heads up in case you're intolerant to it. They're both vegetarian and gluten free and the 200ml is lactose free too.) They come in lots of different flavours, the texture takes a little getting used to but drinking it through a straw and drinking it chilled can help with that. If the texture is still an issue then they have a low fat fortijuice version too that I like a lot better but I don't have that type anymore coz I recognize that I need some fat in my diet and 80% of my nutrition comes from fortisips so ideally I need the ones with fat in
>.<
♡ She/her ♡

#5 Scaletale

Scaletale

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:37 PM

I’ve personally found the vanilla ensure pluses to be the most tolerable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 Lloyd

Lloyd

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10852 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:55 PM

I drink 4 ensure a day, I find them way better then food.
Hw 249
LW 134
Cw 205 fucking hell
Gw1 160
Gw2 150
Ugw 130....for now lol

Highest step count is 60,157.

#7 KillingMeSlowly

KillingMeSlowly

Guru

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 01:24 PM

Ensure or boost is literally disgusting

Go for carnation instant breakfast, way yummier and high in vitamins :)

#8 justtrainedtogetalong

justtrainedtogetalong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 09:54 PM

nutrament has a lot of different flavors, so if you get nauseous from strawberry/chocolate/vanilla because you've had too many other meal replacement drinks in those flavors, there are other options like banana or coffee! it's also a lot less thick than boost or ensure, so a lot easier to just chug if that's easier for you, and since it comes in cans it's less intimidating for me to start drinking because i can't see how much is really inside.

#9 justtrainedtogetalong

justtrainedtogetalong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 December 2021 - 10:27 PM

nutrament has a lot of different flavors, so if you get nauseous from strawberry/chocolate/vanilla because you've had too many other meal replacement drinks in those flavors, there are other options like banana or coffee! it's also a lot less thick than boost or ensure, so a lot easier to just chug if that's easier for you, and since it comes in cans it's less intimidating for me to start drinking because i can't see how much is really inside.

also this has less vitamins and nutrients but it does have fat and a lot of carbs and some protein, so if you are sick of nutritional drinks it works wonders: when i'm really hungry but just don't have the energy to eat but my stomach does want stuff, my fav thing ever is to let a carton of phish food ice cream melt until it's completely just soup, and then i can put it in a bowl and drink it all in a few minutes!!! it tastes a lot better and has a better texture than meal replacement drinks and sometimes since the content is more interesting, it's easier to motivate myself to have it than to drink a meal replacement drink

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users