The SubSpäceFae/ AudibleWinterBøy Movie (& Book) Hangout Room - Movies and TV Shows - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

The SubSpäceFae/ AudibleWinterBøy Movie (& Book) Hangout Room

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19301 posts
  • LocationDreaming The Crow Black Dream ................................................................................................ Pronouns: She/her/they/them

Posted 05 November 2021 - 07:38 PM

Welcome to the movie room!

Screenshot 20211106 002519

This is a zero obligation hangout thread for all or any of us, plus anyone else who wants to join in.

Rules are vague.

Post whatever you're watching to see if anyone else wants to join in, or post your thoughts and musings about a film you've seen, either recently or ages ago that no one else really got. Feel free to add recommendations or just fangirl/fanboy about your favourite film. Enthusiastic fans of any movie very much welcome! Also welcome are constructive and thoughtful critique of movies you didn't like, interesting debate, no arguments though. Can rate out of 10 if you like. Trailers from YT welcome but please spoiler warning for any film clips or talk of major plot points. Thanks!

Probably this will end up just me talking to myself again but since I'm not doing drunk movie reviews in my Acct anymore (day 5 clean) I figure maybe a separate sober movie reviews thread would keep my brain compartmentalised.
  • dekadentka likes this

~ People linked by Destiny will always find each other ~

The Fasting Club ~

Challenges: B/P Free 2022    ~    Ravenous Readers 2022

Official Insomnia Thread ~ B/P Free Support Thread ~ Movie Hangout Room

Boring vanity projects:

#2 Späcebøy

Späcebøy

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts
  • LocationEast coast industrial stinktown, USA

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:11 PM

Oo count me in! What's everybody watching tonight?

Accountability & random rambles

Späcebøy's Descent into the Meal-ström

Days without barfing in 2022........11

The 2022 Mia Recovery Challenge

willy-wonka-suspense.gif

#3 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts
  • LocationDreaming The Crow Black Dream ................................................................................................ Pronouns: She/her/they/them

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:22 PM

Oo count me in! What's everybody watching tonight?

You're in!

If I finish the Chloe Ting workouts (starting number 4/6 now so gimme half an hour) I get rewarded with an epsom salt bath while watching something from the top of the pile. Blood The Last Vampire (anime version), Willow, and ofc The Sequel That Shall Not Be Acknowledged are high on the list dunno what else was in my latest haul lets see:

8 Mile

Battlestar Galactica (dubious about this and dunno if you have to have seen the series')

Restless Natives

Zodiac

Hunger Games

The Edge Of Love 

Romeo Musty Die

Maleficent

Peter Pan

Hook

High Road To China 

Going Postal

Shakespeare's As You Like It 

aaand a video of contact staff beginner moves lol

And the original Crow if I really can't sleep ofc. 

What's on your list? I have tonnes more but these are what I have on the shortlist. If any match yours feel free to watch along. I think I'm gonna invite the fasting and insomnia threads in here. I have such a bad time between about 9pm-4am and without b/p I need a good strategy that doesn't involve snuggling up with my favourite men (Jack & Morgan). 

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#4 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 10:18 PM

The Plan. This bit is just for me but for anyone else wanting to join in too, I'm going to use this as a sort of daily-ish movie accountability, because I struggle so hard with self-care, and decision making.

"It's the hours Mrs Daloway, and the hours after that"

My trigger times are night time, so to stop me from wandering dangerous back alleys at night, drinking, or b/p I need to be occupied in the hours from around 9pm. It should also help me sensory regulate and give me a sense of reward for eating cause I really hate just being alone with me and the food on my meal plan. If I haven't worked out that day, I'll set up the laptop on the exercise bike and do a few km to keep my joints and my autistic sensory system happy, but if I have worked out, I'll chill in my rocking chair for dinner, or in bed, turn out all the daylight spectrum lights, get my cosy pjs, all the little barriers to getting back up and going out to ruin my night with food or drink. 

I'm gonna try posting in advance a random choice, or just shuffle my DVD pile or something because one thing that I really struggle badly with it making choices. But, since I no longer assume it will be the last movie I ever watch because I have important shit to do the next few months, I can afford to waste time on films I like and have seen before, or that might be crap, that's still of value to me. If anyone has a suggestion based on things I like (supernatural, vampires, anime, period drama, historical, documentaries, animation (dreamworks as well as Disney), foreign films, 80s movies... pretty much anything but war films unless I'm in a very particular state of mind) feel free to drop suggestions and if I can get it on my borrowed netflix or I have the DVD I'll give it a shot. 

This maybe all seems stupid but I've realised I need some basic structure back in my life and something as simple as getting back in the habit of watching a film before bed can make all the difference. And I just really like sharing my thoughts and processing my own thoughts in type. I used to have IMDB but I never ended up using it much because of the word limit lol. 

Tonight's fare is Blood The Last Vampire. 

I don't know what regions this works in but for stuff I don't have the DVD of I watch a lot here: https://www.wcostream.com/ 

I'm also following daily, and getting updates for this and my other threads to my email, dunno how common that is for folk but the whole notifications only having 2 pages thing really annoys me and I hate when I miss replies so at least if I have it set to daily email I can check that if I'm not logged in. 

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#5 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 11:29 PM

Blood The Last Vampire
5/10

For context, I'm having a self-care bath and a hot cup of cocoa, and have the laptop set up to play the DVD.

It started in English so I just left it, but it switched back to Japanese so put on the English subs. I'd forgotten it switches back and forth, I thought I'd watched it all in Japanese with subs before.

TW: 5 mins in there's a graphic image of a woman in a bathtub with slit wrists. As suicidal self-harmer in a bath I'm so glad I've not been so bad with triggers lately. I expected the gore, it's a vampire movie after all, I just forgot there would be a suicide shown so graphically.

While I've definitely seen this before, it's not the one I thought it was. I think I was remembering Blood+ and this possibility also explains why I thought the live action made no sense, it would have been based on this rather than the movie I thought was Blood.

This is a pretty linear story, limited characters, short duration. Entertaining enough, but nothing too deep or complex, predictable tropes etc. A good one to ease back into anime and movies generally, like a single comic brought to screen. I wouldn't recommend it to someone as their first anime because I don't think it does the genre justice, but if you're familiar with horror anime, definitely one to add to your watch list because it's pretty well known. The animation style is slightly weird from my pov, being used to different stylisation, especially mouths and eyes. It's much less gorey than Straight Jacket, or Akira for example. Tonally I like the colour pallete and visually it's pretty good, just not spectacular.

It kept me occuped and I needed that, so I'm happy with it but even though it's one of the more well known of the vampire animes I'd probably put it about a 5/10. To me that means it was good enough that I'm glad I watched it, but I don't think I'd re-watch when I have plenty more I haven't seen. It's like a paperback or graphic novel you pick up because it's not going to challenge you. It feels like an episode in a much more complex story, told through the eyes of someone who is a side character to the main arc.

It's the kind of thing you'd put on a projector in the back of a goth club night or Hallowe'en party—appropriately because it takes place on Hallowe'en.

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#6 Späcebøy

Späcebøy

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1629 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 09:04 AM

TW: 5 mins in there's a graphic image of a woman in a bathtub with slit wrists. As suicidal self-harmer in a bath I'm so glad I've not been so bad with triggers lately. I expected the gore, it's a vampire movie after all, I just forgot there would be a suicide shown so graphically.

I haven't seen it so I can't discuss the actual film, but you just brought up my latest obsessive thought. Does art encourage harmful behaviour?

The answer, I think, is: not always, but even 1 time is too many.

For context: the other day in Japan (a country where violent crime is comparatively rare), a guy dressed up as the Joker and went on a stabbing spree on the train, directly inspired by a scene in the movie. That made me sick to my stomach. And don't get me started on the whole "13 Reasons" thing, the modern day Werther Effect.

I submit for discussion and possible thread watching if anyone can get their hands on a copy "The End of Violence" (1997) directed by Wim Wenders. It's about a sleazy movie producer who got rich by making schlocky action/gore flicks, and one day he gets kidnapped by a couple of thugs who intend to blow his head off. Meanwhile there's a mysterious experimental weapon that makes people's heads explode at the push of a button.

Wim Wenders himself is one of my favourite directors because he has always been against violence in film and in reality. He manages to pull off this supercharged thriller without showing a drop of blood, without a hint of violence in the presentation. In a weird way, it re-sensitizes the viewer to the horror of violence. We're now forced to imagine people's heads blowing up without being shown (encouraged with) images of violence on screen.

The movie of course died a quick death at the box office and disappeared into obscurity, probably for that reason. Heaven help the director who wants the audience to think.

idk dude. Am I overreacting about the whole violence trigger thing? I just got really worked up when I read about the Japan train incident. And with suicide being such a sensitive subject I feel like graphic suicide images like the one you described serve no good purpose for society or even art.

*mic drop*

(oh wait... *gently places mic on fluffy pillow for those with misophonia*)

• Winterfae and TraumatisedUnicorn like this

willy-wonka-suspense.gif

#7 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 09:35 AM

*mic drop*

(oh wait... *gently places mic on fluffy pillow for those with misophonia*)

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I haven't seen it so I can't discuss the actual film, but you just brought up my latest obsessive thought. Does art encourage harmful behaviour?

The answer, I think, is: not always, but even 1 time is too many.

For context: the other day in Japan (a country where violent crime is comparatively rare), a guy dressed up as the Joker and went on a stabbing spree on the train, directly inspired by a scene in the movie. That made me sick to my stomach. And don't get me started on the whole "13 Reasons" thing, the modern day Werther Effect.

I submit for discussion and possible thread watching if anyone can get their hands on a copy "The End of Violence" (1997) directed by Wim Wenders. It's about a sleazy movie producer who got rich by making schlocky action/gore flicks, and one day he gets kidnapped by a couple of thugs who intend to blow his head off. Meanwhile there's a mysterious experimental weapon that makes people's heads explode at the push of a button.

Wim Wenders himself is one of my favourite directors because he has always been against violence in film and in reality. He manages to pull off this supercharged thriller without showing a drop of blood, without a hint of violence in the presentation. In a weird way, it re-sensitizes the viewer to the horror of violence. We're now forced to imagine people's heads blowing up without being shown (encouraged with) images of violence on screen.

The movie of course died a quick death at the box office and disappeared into obscurity, probably for that reason. Heaven help the director who wants the audience to think.

idk dude. Am I overreacting about the whole violence trigger thing? I just got really worked up when I read about the Japan train incident. And with suicide being such a sensitive subject I feel like graphic suicide images like the one you described serve no good purpose for society or even art.

I absolutely don't think you're overreacting, in fact I think you've managed to hold onto what so many of us have lost, and are reacting appropriately. I've read a lot about the subject in terms of whether gaming violence leads to actual violence, and the jury is out on that. I personally think it does, but it seems like the stats show otherwise. 

I happened to read a paper for the first time in years, and saw that one. I got confused because there was also a train accident here, reported on the same page, but separate incidents. I think the films that have a lot of violence tend to appeal to people who have already got some fascination with it, people who were predisposed to violence anyway, and who emulate it because they fixate on some imagined excuse for it. 

2 case studies:

1: The two of us. How many times have we watched The Crow? And it still appeals in spite of the fact he works his way through a kill list. The actual violence shown on film isn't very graphic compared to most things, and it could be argued that there's some moral if not rational reasoning, but we'll leave that for now. It's inspired both of us to dress up as the main character, but hasn't inspired us to kill anyone. 

2: I have a friend who already suffers psychosis, and with his meds he's perfectly stable but has in the past planned and almost executed a murder and an act of terrorism. He couldn't go through with it, and got safely to hospital and meds and everything. Fast forward a few years and he's watching The Joker. Gets a bit obsessed, comes off his meds, paints the walls in his own blood in the Joker's trademark HA HA HA. If he hadn't noticed that was problematic, and got back on the meds, he'd have progressed to much worse self-harm, and possibly outward harm, but it's entirely against his character as a person. I think the problem with movies and books with a violent antihero, is the appeal to people who are already unstable, but while it might give them a specific fixation on dress code or personification for their fantasy, I think they might always have been going to get there anyway. 

War films are another example, ex was obsessed with German war films, now, that's worrying, but in the context of liking German Industrial music and the styles inherent you start to let things slide. But then you realise he's a racist piece of shit you've been excusing for years because he played to your hangups about not being blonde and blue eyed which is a trait apparently all men prefer so you don't... you know what nevermind, I can go to the rant room with this one. 

Back to the safer territory of movie suicides, in this case I think it's actually easier for me to draw a hard line. Lords of Chaos (terrible American adaptation btw, watch Until The Light Takes Us if you want to explore the subject) had a VERY graphic cutting scene, one I was really triggered by. Again, this is because the images are already in my head, and I see those intrusive thoughts, but actually watching it on screen only gives me more mental imagery and I think that's definitely a bad thing. By comparison, the scene might not have had the shock value but would have still been impactful (for audiences who actually care about people dying) without showing it directly. 

I never saw 13 reasons because I read about it, and I just know I don't need more of that in my brain, like I don't need to keep seeing things that affect my BDD or trigger me to keep those synaptic pathways active. 

I think film has a responsibility to its viewers not to desensitise them. One gripe I have about Marvel movies, which I otherwise enjoy for plain old entertainment and exercise motivation, it that there will be huge accidents usually caused by the heroes, and absolutely no consequences. Car pileups, property damage etc... they're supposed to be heroes though? They only seem to care about some people dying, not innocent civilians in the background. 

I personally have a really difficult time with it because I want to write certain things, like, I really would love to write an accurate ED book... but you never really can without it triggering someone to try something they haven't or keep doing it. Same with cutting. I feel like images are very dangerous. When the takeover of MPA happened I supported keeping the s/h forum even though I very, very rarely use it, because I know seeing such severe s/h will only make me feel like mine was fake. I don't think any good can come from sharing those kinds of images online, but as a teen I used to look them up, back when the rest of the internet was rife with thinspo and self harm pictures. I think it's a lot more censored everywhere else now, but they exist and like, I for one would never put a picture of a wound unless I needed help with knowing what level of wound care to use, or if I should get stitches. I guess that's the problem... you can always talk yourself into a scenario where maybe it's not that bad but it is, and I think we need a departure from it in film, particularly the actual act of suicide. 

I probably have loads more to say on this subject but gonna do a workout to settle the s/h impulse. It wasn't anything you said that got to me btw, just... I thought I was impervious to that anime, but what it did was unlock my memory vault of a completely different image I saw about 15 years ago and still triggers me. So, there's another thing; once these images are in your head, you always compare. This is my big problem with the porn industry as well but I'm gonna leave that subject to the S & R subforum where it gets discussed every so often. It's the standards thing, the acceptance of something fictional as attainable or reasonable, and that goes for thinspo in movies, violence, harm, and everything else. 

As a viewer, I am very discerning over what I let into my mind, because I don't need that. But others feel the need to saturate themselves with it, as either a point of pride, or of some masochistic tendency... like snuff films. Some people seek to desensitise themselves, and from my pov, all I can do is choose not to, and choose to be careful what I publish publicly. 

Will def look out for that one, I think it would be right up my street in terms of thinking about the responsibilities of an artist (of any art form). 

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#8 Späcebøy

Späcebøy

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1629 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 02:22 PM

Back to the safer territory of movie suicides, in this case I think it's actually easier for me to draw a hard line. Lords of Chaos (terrible American adaptation btw, watch Until The Light Takes Us if you want to explore the subject) had a VERY graphic cutting scene, one I was really triggered by. Again, this is because the images are already in my head, and I see those intrusive thoughts, but actually watching it on screen only gives me more mental imagery and I think that's definitely a bad thing.

You're right, I think the topic of movie suicides is more applicable here than general disorder, chaos & anarchy, simply because (I would hope) everyone reading this is morally developed enough to quash any serial killer impulses. But suicide & self harm are more morally ambiguous, meaning we're more at risk to those triggers.

So yeah, downshifting to suicides & self harm portrayed in movies, I think these scenes can be very triggering and can subconsciously lead us to make some really bad decisions. There's a certain film (which I won't name because I'm about to spoil the ending) where one of the characters decides to take a flying leap from a very high place, and dammit, the scene is so well done that I instantly picture myself doing the exact same thing the exact same way.

Point being, my suicidal impulses are all my own, vague wisps of an idea, but suddenly "The poet's pen turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing a local habitation and a name."

To put it in mpa context, it's like stumbling on an instruction manual on how to purge hands free. You're screwed dude. Even though 97% of the population wouldn't bother reading it, the 3% of us who are at risk will definitely use it to ruin ourselves and the plumbing.

willy-wonka-suspense.gif

#9 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 02:55 PM

You're right, I think the topic of movie suicides is more applicable here than general disorder, chaos & anarchy, simply because (I would hope) everyone reading this is morally developed enough to quash any serial killer impulses. But suicide & self harm are more morally ambiguous, meaning we're more at risk to those triggers.

So yeah, downshifting to suicides & self harm portrayed in movies, I think these scenes can be very triggering and can subconsciously lead us to make some really bad decisions. There's a certain film (which I won't name because I'm about to spoil the ending) where one of the characters decides to take a flying leap from a very high place, and dammit, the scene is so well done that I instantly picture myself doing the exact same thing the exact same way.

Point being, my suicidal impulses are all my own, vague wisps of an idea, but suddenly "The poet's pen turns them to shapes and gives to airy nothing a local habitation and a name."

To put it in mpa context, it's like stumbling on an instruction manual on how to purge hands free. You're screwed dude. Even though 97% of the population wouldn't bother reading it, the 3% of us who are at risk will definitely use it to ruin ourselves and the plumbing.

Interesting point there again about personal responsibility, because I see those threads, and if you remember, eventually after like 3 years of resisting the impulse I kinda almost sorta asked you in a roundabout way if the route I was going towards hf was in fact how it works, but I knew better than to try to find out for real or try it myself very often, just stick with my archaic but familiar method purely because I keep hearing about how it makes stopping a million time harder. So maybe sometimes discussions, possibly films and other content, open the way for the conversation with those who have been there irl, and get some tips of safety, avoidance, and self care. Although, obviously it would be good if we could have those without all the vomit and bloodshed first I suppose. 

I try not to expose myself to that content on MPA, sometimes there's TW's I just pass on by, so in a way if we know our triggers AND they are trigger warning-ed clearly, we have a chance, on a resilient day, to pass them by. But that's a lot of factors coming together in one place, given we all tend to seek triggers, and often our triggers are either very personalised, or someone making content just wouldn't realise it would be triggering. I remember a time when looking at fan art of various heroes or even Disney characters in gritty realistic styles, where they had wounds, would have me itching to pick up a blade. But now I think I can see those as separate to me, and not crave emulation as much, or as often. 

The trouble with film is how to watch anything without the unexpected triggers (as I proved, you can't really, unless someone does spoil it for you, like I'm grateful you never do). 

OH SPEAKING OF!!! Did I tell you I watched Betty Blue finally? I might have emailed you or I might have rambled about it in my acct to spare you, but either way, I totally did not see the ending coming and that was entirely thanks to you not telling me, which most people are TERRIBLE at doing when they talk about films. Seriously, it's one of the things I respect most about your reviews and why I enjoyed reading them so much when I was in a really dire place, because even though I couldn't so much as pick up a book, or put on a film, and I figured I didn't have long enough left anyway, I still got to read those little insights and feel that if I did, against all odds, live to get back in a movie watching phase, then there would not only still be a point because you hadn't ruined it, but also that I'd been enthused me to see certain ones I had been ambivalent about. 

That seemed like a really long run on sentence, I hope it made sense. What's on your list today? I'm still trying to get at least another 10 mins exercise segment in for the day but I'm going to have to eat AGAIN soon (even though I did it yesterday, sheesh, what a hassle) and I'm trying to think of one that will be distracting to not stress me, and also not nauseate me so I have no excuse to b/p.  

Can I just say that was the PERFECT quote for the parallel discussion we're having re: music. The shape of it... I'm always dead impressed at your collection of quotes. Mine are all from teen fantasy novels. Well, those and Hamlet. I have records of The Living Shakespeare company to listen to in the hope somehow I start to rekindle some of those stored text files in my head, but they're so overly dramatic and loud at certain points I end up getting a fright lol. Like a startled cat. 

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#10 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 03:57 PM

Tonight's pick, by unanimous descision of the guy I'm netflix-but-not-chilling with is Ocean Waves (Studio Ghibli, 1993) if anyone wants to watch along this evening.

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#11 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 08:34 PM

Ocean Waves (I Can Hear The Sea) (Japanese with English subs) 

6/10 

For a Ghibli anime this is a really low rating from me. It's a good film, I'm glad I watched it, but it was a highschool drama and in that category I prefer some of the others like From Up On Poppy Hill, Whisper of The Heart, or non Ghibli masterpieces A Silent Voice, Garden of Words, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. For me, the 6/10 is like saying, it was good, but not a watch-again kind of film.

It had some pretty amusing lines to me, given how much my life is playing out like a Japanese Highschool drama. 

"Girls only care about looks! I thought she would never see his value.

Rikako was a bit of sensation with us simple country boys." 

I learned something at least; men never really do mature beyond the level of a Japanese highschool boy (certainly none I've ever met).

Interesting point, I watched this with an Autistic male, and he found it easier to relate to the girl than I did, and overall we both struggled to make sense of some of the neurotypical reactions, although definitely agreed they were incomprehensible (and therefore accurate).

TWs: I don't feel it needs any trigger warnings at all, but he found it a bit overwhelming due to past experiences of bullying. I wouldn't particularly say I noticed anything more distressing than average, and unless adolescence and human relationships as a whole are incredibly triggering, I really wouldn't have thought to warn anyone.

The one thing that did shock me, especially for a Ghibli film, was a very short scene of an argument that came to physical blows. I'm not sure if this was an instance of culture shock, but I've not seen a boy hit a girl in a regular, non-fantasy/supernatural drama setting. I noted my reaction purely because she slapped him first for insulting her, something we're used to seeing once in a while whether it is morally right or wrong, but when he slapped her back it was a bit of a shock. Internalised sexism? I'm not sure. I grew up in the age of "boys shouldn't hit girls," but when parents were still welcome to smack children, and girls could hit girls, and boys could hit boys, but a boy hitting a girl was somehow much worse. 

Not much more I can say about it without spoiling it, but it was a pretty simple story, kinda bromancy at times, about a new girl at the school who all the boys like, but no one talks to her so she thinks they all hate her. I found her difficult to like, but empathised with some of her situations.

Honestly, if anyone is thinking about watching it, then I would HIGHLY recommend watching the whole Studio Ghibli collection first, and as for anime, I could give you a list of at least 50 I would suggest as priority over this, both with far more engaging plots and more breathtakingly beautiful animation. Life is too short for average anime. 

This one is a decent film to pass an evening with, but nothing to write home about. Also... I really didn't see enough of the ocean to warrant the title, but my friend said it was because their emotions were like the waves. I guess I wasn't in a very analytical mood, and it suited me perfectly this evening. I wanted something uninvested, with no gore or stress, to try eat and then either watch a 2nd movie alone or do whatever it is insomniac poets do at 1am. 

A parting note, I wasn't blown away by the soundtrack either, where usually I would be finding the whole of it to listen to again. Ah, just checked, it wasn't the inimitable Joe Hisaishi, that's why. 

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#12 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 10:13 PM

Further to the above I just realised I have list I was talking about. Although incomplete it's a good place to start: https://m.imdb.com/l...?ref_=m_urls_ls

These are my would-definitely-watch again (and again and again) animes.

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#13 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 12:00 AM

Tonight Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop

Netflix original anime about a poet who doesn't like to speak. He says he can express better without speaking. He wears headphones with no music too. Reading him as autistic.

Had a mega panic attack so decided on a new film to distract me, and this is the right ratio of cute:poignant I can handle rn. 32 mins in, will rste and review later. But definitely going on my list of ones that might help me communicate myself to other people. He posts things online but not many people read them.

This is so lovely. I'm so glad someone made a film about it. She has thousands of likes and followers and he doesn't understand social media, but they also have parallels, which is something I really like to see in films, stylistically (because it lets me off the hook for finishing the script of my own).

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#14 Späcebøy

Späcebøy

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1629 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 11:00 AM

I watched Betty Blue finally? ... I totally did not see the ending coming

ikr??

Spoiler mode to discuss this further...

(To anyone who hasn't seen Betty Blue, DO NOT ENTER! I'm seriously gonna ruin the whole thing)

Spoiler

willy-wonka-suspense.gif

#15 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 06:42 PM

ikr??

Spoiler mode to discuss this further...

(To anyone who hasn't seen Betty Blue, DO NOT ENTER! I'm seriously gonna ruin the whole thing)

Spoiler

I'm just gonna paste my findings (as they happened in real time) from my acct, because some of it might be relevant. I will spoiler all of it, but then (cause you can't spoiler in a spoiler) I'll spoiler my response to you so you can optionally skip the time travel to my drunken ramblings. This will be as long as one of my emails so feel free to leave it for when you're really bored, or better yet need a distraction from anything. 

My thoughts in real time from when I watched it:

Spoiler

My thoughts on your reply, probably no more coherent because I'm having a bad day, full disclaimer I am using this to cling to the present tense so PTW for me being a depressing pos:

Spoiler

I have no idea if any of that makes sense, but thank you, because it's a really good topic, a really interesting film, and even if we never figure out the answer to the question, it's something worth thinking about, and THAT is the purpose of art. Not to answer the question, but to be brave enough to ask it, and to make life without near answers bearable. 

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#16 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 07:43 PM

Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop (English with English subs)

8/10 

I love the way the clouds are drawn.

I love the colours in the sky. 

I love the way that the writer is affected and influenced by the things he sees, and how the girl tries to bring beautiful things to all of her followers--because she doesn't feel beautiful.

I love the Haiku.

I love the way that he shuts out the world better to hear the words inside of him, and that overcoming his inability to speak isn't about being famous, but about expressing his emotions to one person.

I love that speech is his last resort, while it is her first resort.  

I love the way music is the gateway to memory.

I love the way he chooses words that mean more than one thing; that mean both, and either. 

It's a beautiful story, the animation style is a little simpler and visually it's less stunning than some, because it doesn't focus on the scenery or the minutia, but it is well coloured and bright, it's engaging, and fun, and has the perfect balance of deeply poignant themes of aging, memory, lost love, within the bildungsroman. 

The only issue I have with it, as I did with Straight Jacket, is that the subs are significantly different to the dialogue, and this matters a lot in this case because it's about poetry. 

Highly recommended, on par with the Girl Who Leapt Through Time, though not fantasy, just drama. The only reason it's not a 10/10 is the subs, and because my standard for animation is set high so because of Garden of Words. It's a little bit more simple, I would say "mainstream" than that, I expect it is aimed at the age-group it depicts, but I've been moved by it. 

Anything that makes me cry is automatically a high ranking from me. Emotionally turbulent day aside, there were lines so powerful I had to pause to shed a couple of tears. It's been about 2 years since I cried at anything other than a man shouting at me so, there's the real rating. 

Those thunderclap words

Exist for expressing

The evening rainbow

I have to tell you

A piece of my passion is in your hand

IMG 20211108 003658

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#17 subaudible

subaudible

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 03:32 PM

i swear i will be here more...this is fucking awesome! 

• Winterfae likes this

fear is the only opportunity we have to be brave 

tracks

#18 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 03:33 PM

On TV tonight The Secret World of Chocolate about the Cadbury vs Rowntree chocolate wars. Thank gods I'm a heathen/elitist and I only like European chocolate lol or this would be really triggering. 

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#19 Winterfae

Winterfae

Twilight's Dawn

• Accountability access
  • 19301 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 03:33 PM

i swear i will be here more...this is fucking awesome! 

JINX 

HELLLLLOOOOOO!!! ((tacklehugs))

• subaudible likes this

The Fasting Club ~

Boring vanity projects:

#20 subaudible

subaudible

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access