Bone pain - Illness or Injury - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Bone pain

health effects physical symptoms

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 suchatiredbody

suchatiredbody

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 03:28 AM

When it gets colder, I get really strong bone and joint aches to the point where I need painkillers to sleep. I don't really want to go to the GP, because he doesn't know about my ED and I don't want him to mention it or maybe even do something about it. Also I just don't wanna know what's up with my body. I know it's probably Vitamin D deficiency and calcium deficiency, from restricting.
But it sucks. Does anyone else experience this? How do you deal with the pains?

#2 TraumatisedUnicorn

TraumatisedUnicorn

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1465 posts
  • LocationMy bed

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:20 PM

I get this a lot too, sadly. I have osteoarthritis but I think it's a common side effect of being at a low weight in low temperatures. Thinning bones definitely doesn't help, I'd urge you to take a calcium and vitamin D supplement if you're able to, but if you have less insulation (body fat) surrounding your bones they're gonna ache, there isn't really a way round it. Just try and stay as warm as you can, wear thermals and several layers and keep your house as warm as possible. I find that it doesn't really matter how many blankets I'm underneath, I need the heating on at a certain level otherwise I'm in too much pain to function. Hot water bottles and heat pads can be good for if you have to go out anywhere or for really bad pain days but obviously you're limited on where you can place them and it'a hurt to choose when your whole skeleton hurts. Going outside in winter is gonna be difficult, I'd recommend spending as much time indoors as possible, trying to avoid going out when there's a cold wind especially, and just wrapping up as warm as you can. I recommend getting some silver lined socks and gloves too to keep the heat trapped in your hands and feet to prevent those small bones aching. I tend to find finger bone pain the worst to deal with. Hand warmers are good to!
♡ She/her ♡

#3 Mitsy

Mitsy

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 December 2021 - 12:30 AM

Hot baths with Epsom salts are great. Eating protein throughout the day helps keep you warm because its thermogenic.  Warming lotion for heat. Lidocaine cream for pain. Arnica helps with pain and can be topical or oral, I prefer ingesting it. i haven't tried it, but CBD is another option for pain. Also don't forget ibuprophen. Compression gloves/sleeves help circulation.  Gentle stretching and mobility work. Meditation and breathwork. Distractions, anything that brings you comfort and joy. 

5'3"

cw 99

hw 155

lw 75

sw117

gw 100

ugw maintain above 100 below 115

F*** you ED!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: health effects, physical symptoms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users