exercising when obese? - Exercise - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

exercising when obese?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 aether egg

aether egg

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 November 2021 - 03:35 PM

i know most of yall are way below obese, but i was just wondering if any of yall who ARENT below obese (or have been over in the past) knew what exercises were good, but didnt destroy your body? most exercises hurt my knees and back way too much at my current weight  :mellow:

hJbEm5.png

(they/it)
HW: 270+
SW: 269 (5/10/21)

CW: 242
GW1: 200
GW2: 180
GW3: 150
GW4: 120

GW5: 100

UGW: 90 

arcane-jinx.gif

l-ol-league-of-legends.gif

#2 GOKU

GOKU

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2020 posts
  • LocationTraining to achieve Ultra Instinct in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber

Posted 21 November 2021 - 03:42 PM

i know most of yall are way below obese, but i was just wondering if any of yall who ARENT below obese (or have been over in the past) knew what exercises were good, but didnt destroy your body? most exercises hurt my knees and back way too much at my current weight  :mellow:

I'm not nor have I ever been obese, but I watched TLC and I remember exercising in chairs/sitting down is still great for you if your obese/disabled. So waving your arms about and "running" while sitting is great for exercise until you build strength in your joints either through weight loss and/or exercise. Walking is a number one priority too, helps build strength and cardio health.

Keep at it, it'll be worth it!

(Eating is 90% the battle though, you won't lose if you eat more than you burn, eating healthy helps too. Don't forget that.)

• obsidianblood likes this

7daffe436e8369ba56b9917e7f262d48.gif5a28327eecee5ed3d5254b3b952cdc34.gif

EDNOS

50 DAY FAST (COMPLETED!!!): https://www.myproana...idk/?p=76214585

55 DAY FAST (ONGOING)

GOKU's Accountability: https://www.myproana...accountability/

HW: 230 lbs

SW: 168 lbs

CW: ???

GW: 120 lbs

"And this- Is to go, EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!!!"

STAY SAFE <3

#3 annwyl

annwyl

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 03:44 PM

crunches and arm exercises (chloe ting arm exercises maybe)?, not the most effective but theyre better than nothing. if u have the ability to, russian twists are kind of fun (imo). if your knees will have it u can also aim for walking or pacing around your house every so often. i didnt really take my joint and back pain seriously at my highest so im not sure if these will rlly help

#4 Silens

Silens

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 09:12 PM

Basically anything that is not on your feet is best. Biking is the best thing that you can do as the weight will primarily be on the rear end rather than crushing down on your ankles. 

#5 obsidianblood

obsidianblood

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 23 November 2021 - 09:16 PM

im sorry im not and have never been obese (i cant learn to shut my mouth) but swimming/exercise in water/water walking is basically optimal exercise for obese ppl. high calorie burning and low risk for injury.

#6 Skinny_sweet_pea

Skinny_sweet_pea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:26 AM

Swimming, biking, elliptical, walking

• Daniel4754 likes this
ezgif-com-optimize.gif

#7 Visible.bones

Visible.bones

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 24 November 2021 - 10:05 AM

Hey! Idk if you're interested but I'm looking for an exercise buddy. BMI is around 39-40. I have facebook and my phone number. Also I go on youtube amd look up "obese friendly workout" and theres actually some bigger women doing them which makes me feel better lol. I've started just writing down my favorite exercises and doing them and increasing the reps

#8 darkxmind

darkxmind

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 November 2021 - 06:23 PM

I went from bmi 44 to 35. I started going to the gym about halfway my weightloss. At the gym i bike about 45 minutes. I started at a low resistance and low speed, slowly increased the speed as my endurance got better. Then i increase the resistance and lower the speed until i feel like i can go faster again. Hope I explained it well haha.
I also do the weight machines, I started doing some random things that i feel comfortable doing, mostly for my arms, and added some things as i lost weight. After a few weeks i noticed I could do higher weights and after 2 months my knees and back hurt less. I honestly don’t really know if I’m doing everything right but i mean it’s working!
Also just walking is amazing, just start at a comfortable speed and for how long you feel like even if its just 5 of 10 minutes.
Feel free to ask questions id love to help!!

#9 Zinniah

Zinniah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 07:27 AM

i'd also like to add, if you can afford to make the purchase, some dumbells and resistance bands for strength training would help. when i was in physical therapy for my knees for a while they instructed me to do stretches by using resistance bands and slowly build up the strength to do higher impact exercises.

with dumbells you can sit and do some upper body workouts. hope this helps. c:

~☆stats☆~

Spoiler

~♧tracker♧~

Spoiler

#10 Soiree

Soiree

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMidwest United States

Posted 28 November 2021 - 09:06 AM

Grow with Jo youtube videos! I am averse to exercise but I actually will do hers start to finish. They are fat friendly, and entertaining enough to finish, and burn a decent amount of calories.

#11 fαye

fαye

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:00 AM

stationary bike is pretty good

good for nothing

5'1 // 154 cm recluse

ᴀᴄᴄᴏᴜɴᴛᴀʙɪʟɪᴛʏ

#12 lambgrl18

lambgrl18

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Locationtwin sized mattress in somebodys attic or basement

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:08 AM

push up progressions (starting with standing in front of a wall and pushing away, once you get stronger add more incline)

arm circles, around the worlds, halos, any standing arm exercise. add weight with water bottles or dumbbells

swimming

walking

5'4 | ♎︎

cw: 171.2

ugw: 95

#13 Mitsy

Mitsy

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:43 AM

I'm not obese but I majored in sports science and have worked with obese people. I highly recommend swimming since its low impact, offers resistance and is therapeutic for muscles and joints

5'3"

cw 109

hw 155

lw 75

sw117

gw 105

ugw maintain above 100 below 115

F*** you ED!

#14 crossings

crossings

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:03 AM

Swimming is really good. It's actually the only exercise with my arms I can do right now with my injury.

Marching in place is good as well. My physical therapist recommend this because my waist is too small and weak to support the upper half of my body. Just draw your abs tight and draw your knees up as far as you can. It will tighten your abs and raise your heart rate.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users