How to cope with home-cooked meals made by family you live with? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How to cope with home-cooked meals made by family you live with?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jayan

jayan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:21 PM

Hi-

I'm currently living with my grandparents with no way of rejecting my Grandma's suppers (not that they aren't delicious),and what really bothers me is not knowing how many calories are in each meal I eat.

I just feel like there's no point in counting all day only for it to be ruined when suppertime comes. It's stressful, it hurts, and I was wondering if anyone else has experience in this area. 

I'm almost considering purging, but I've tried that a few times before and it's just not my thing. I need this control and I just can't stand how it's ripped away when I eat supper, I can't measure how 'big' or 'small' my portions really are- especially while trying to seem okay around other people- without measuring calories to stay within my deficit..

How do you cope?

Thanks,

Jai

• L <3 likes this

Spoiler

#2 poorqpine

poorqpine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:27 PM

I like to be involved and in the kitchen while they are making the food. You can tell them you want to help out / you want to learn how to cook. That way you can at least have a better idea of what is going into the food, and I’m sure your grandparents will enjoy the time they get to spend with you :) also, if they’re going off or a recipe book you can sometimes google that exact recipe and find the nutritional info on google. Stay safe love 💕
  • L <3 likes this

#3 sleepyfaefae

sleepyfaefae

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLocked in my own insanity

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:51 PM

Can you dish out a portion for yourself? I always have dinner with family, but we portion out our food on our own. If not, then I agree with @poorqpine, try and get involved so you know what is going in the food.

• L <3 likes this

height: 5'4/163cm

hw: 160

lw: 1o3

cw: 107-108

gw: 100

ugw: 95

db5071d190172bd5ceaa50f810fe425a.gif

#4 sweetandstarving

sweetandstarving

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationWonderland

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:58 PM

is there a way you can do omad for dinner ? i’m out of the house now but whenever i’m visiting home i do this and it seems to work well. i don’t worry too much about what’s in my dinner if it’s the only thing i’m eating during the day, as the portion i serve myself can’t be >300
  • L <3 likes this

and there we are again, when nobody had to know.

you kept me like a secret, but i kept you like an oath.

#5 L <3

L <3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:59 PM

try to figure out what's being made for dinner before its made.you can have the dinner as an OMAD, have only 100-200 cals for breakfast/lunch, or ask to make your own plate of food. make the portion small but not noticeably small, and never finish it. that's how i get away w eating less with homecooked meals. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users