Any good anorexia movies besides To the Bone and For the Love of Nancey? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Any good anorexia movies besides To the Bone and For the Love of Nancey?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 doing_for_thin

doing_for_thin

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:17 PM

Title says it all. I'm wanting to watch some more movies about anorexia, seen any good ones you'd like to share?
  • hiimlen likes this

#2 imminentoinker

imminentoinker

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:25 PM

Staving in Suburbia is a good classic cringe one, lol. I also really enjoy Feed and the documentary Thin on YouTube. Those are all pretty "classic" ED ones in my opinion.  :)

• Choco_Bitch_612 and Krook like this

tumblr_mre66mu5YR1r5pl3ao1_500.gif

#3 Choco_Bitch_612

Choco_Bitch_612

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9981 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:42 PM

best ed film so far in my opinion is still the brief life of catherine,  tho it's from the 80s so it's low quality but it's based off of the diary of an actual anorexic woman. other good ones are my skinny sister, & taste of emptiness, which is a japanese film. 

• not_my_body and the_secretsociety like this
                                             tumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.gif                                                                                                        

H: 5'7.5 LW: 150 (2014) SW: 158 (2014)  HW: 216 (Dec. 2019..that's embarrassing) CW: x

tenor.gif

Gw 1: 190 lbs (86 kg) BMI - 29.3

Gw 2: 180 lbs (82 kg) BMI - 27.8

Gw 3: 170 lbs (77 kg) BMI - 26.2

Gw 4: 160 lbs (73 kg) BMI - 24.7

Gw 5: 150 lbs (68 kg) BMI - 23.1

Gw 6: 140 lbs (64 kg) BMI - 21.6

Gw 7: 130 lbs (59 kg) BMI - 20.1

Gw 8: 120 lbs (54 kg) BMI - 18.5

UGW: 114 lbs(51 kg) BMI - 17.6 

MAINTAIN BETWEEN 107-114

tumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.giftumblr_lm6rmpkYSc1qfoi4t.gif 

3C55B25B-83ED-40AC-BBAE-181F87468304.jpe

Effy & Pandora 

Spoiler

Anime stuff

Spoiler

Korra stuff

Spoiler

Weight loss stuff

Spoiler

#4 doing_for_thin

doing_for_thin

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1076 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:59 PM

Staving in Suburbia is a good classic cringe one, lol. I also really enjoy Feed and the documentary Thin on YouTube. Those are all pretty "classic" ED ones in my opinion. :)

Thanks so much!

#5 doing_for_thin

doing_for_thin

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1076 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:59 PM

best ed film so far in my opinion is still the brief life of catherine, tho it's from the 80s so it's low quality but it's based off of the diary of an actual anorexic woman. other good ones are my skinny sister, & taste of emptiness, which is a japanese film.

Appreciate you, thank-you!!
  • Choco_Bitch_612 likes this

#6 ariair

ariair

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationSouthern New England

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:25 PM

Personal Favorites (can be found on youtube):

Dying to Dance (ballet theme)

Perfect Body (gymnast theme) 

Thin (documentary) 

When Friendship Kills (teen drama theme)

• not_my_body likes this

Alchemy_air_symbol.pngIt's my party and I'll cry if I want toAlchemy_air_symbol.png

#7 river song.

river song.

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1157 posts
  • Locationtime and relative dimension in space

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:39 PM

The Best Little Girl In The World is pretty classic 

• not_my_body likes this

We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

giphy.gif

she/her
💜💖💙

accountability

#8 Thinchance

Thinchance

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:43 PM

They all suck imo. Short films on YouTube capture EDs better / more accurately without the after school special feel as much.
  • korba, PetiteBaker and NovemberChrysanthemum like this

#9 Joella

Joella

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:46 PM

I thought “feed” was pretty good.
  • Sugarcoated likes this

FXoMNpi.gif?1

#10 not_my_body

not_my_body

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10007 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:56 PM

best ed film so far in my opinion is still the brief life of catherine,  tho it's from the 80s so it's low quality but it's based off of the diary of an actual anorexic woman. other good ones are my skinny sister, & taste of emptiness, which is a japanese film.

Agree. I'm lucky enough to own it on DVD. It's really relatable.
"Now you see, the world is full of temptations. They are wrong things that seem right at the time" - Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.

Height: 5 foot 7 / 170.5cms
Highest Weight: 180 pounds / 82 kgs, (BMI 28)
Lowest Weight: 85 pounds / 39 kgs, (BMI 13)

ULTIMATE GOAL WEIGHT (again): 85 pounds / 39 kgs OR LOWER!!!

#11 not_my_body

not_my_body

• Accountability access
  • 10007 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 November 2021 - 11:57 PM

My absolute favourite other than For the Love of Nancy is 'The Karen Carpenter Story' (TW Death, True Story) I was OBSESSED with this movie. I knew every single line said.

Yeah it's old but dam. It had a big impact on me.

I also agree with Sharing The Secret, The Life of Catherine/Catherine: the death of an Anorexic (TW death, true story), When Friendship Kills (bulimia and anorexia TW death), Perfect Body, Dying to Dance, Kate's Secret (bulimia TW death) and Dying to be Perfect: The Ellen Hart Pena Story (bulimia, true story)

If you want Documentaries, Dying to be Thin, Bronte's Story, Catwalk, Thin and Dana The 8 year old Anorexic (this last one I don't own)

I'm so lucky to have them all on DVD.
"Now you see, the world is full of temptations. They are wrong things that seem right at the time" - Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.

#12 not_my_body

not_my_body

• Accountability access
  • 10007 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:11 AM

The Best Little Girl In The World is pretty classic

This was the first one I saw that showed just how emaciated the actress got to play the role. I remember that shocking me so badly back in like 2000.
  • river song. likes this

#13 fαye

fαye

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1176 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:19 AM

I loved "Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story." I just cried. We watched it in my film class and my heart hurt.

good for nothing

5'1 // 154 cm recluse

ᴀᴄᴄᴏᴜɴᴛᴀʙɪʟɪᴛʏ

#14 not_my_body

not_my_body

• Accountability access
  • 10007 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:24 AM

I loved "Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story." I just cried. We watched it in my film class and my heart hurt.

This is the Barbie doll one isn't it. It's different to the one I recommend.

This is superstar https://youtu.be/FmY5mTmrsVI

And this is the actual movie that I mentioned https://youtu.be/ITNCM1RAq-M
  • fαye likes this

#15 fαye

fαye

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1176 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 12:52 AM

This is the Barbie doll one isn't it. It's different to the one I recommend.

This is superstar

And this is the actual movie that I mentioned

I love the Barbie doll one. I haven't seen the other movie!

• not_my_body likes this

good for nothing

5'1 // 154 cm recluse

ᴀᴄᴄᴏᴜɴᴛᴀʙɪʟɪᴛʏ

#16 Choco_Bitch_612

Choco_Bitch_612

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 9981 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 02:47 AM

They all suck imo. Short films on YouTube capture EDs better / more accurately without the after school special feel as much.

really? i feel like the majority of ed short films on youtube are mad corny lmao. can you recommend some good ones?

• Thinchance, not_my_body, gilgi and 1 other like this

H: 5'7.5 LW: 150 (2014) SW: 158 (2014)  HW: 216 (Dec. 2019..that's embarrassing) CW: x

tenor.gif

Gw 1: 190 lbs (86 kg) BMI - 29.3

Gw 2: 180 lbs (82 kg) BMI - 27.8

Gw 3: 170 lbs (77 kg) BMI - 26.2

Gw 4: 160 lbs (73 kg) BMI - 24.7

Gw 5: 150 lbs (68 kg) BMI - 23.1

Gw 6: 140 lbs (64 kg) BMI - 21.6

Gw 7: 130 lbs (59 kg) BMI - 20.1

Gw 8: 120 lbs (54 kg) BMI - 18.5

UGW: 114 lbs(51 kg) BMI - 17.6 

MAINTAIN BETWEEN 107-114

3C55B25B-83ED-40AC-BBAE-181F87468304.jpe

Effy & Pandora 

Spoiler

Anime stuff

Spoiler

Korra stuff

Spoiler

Weight loss stuff

Spoiler

#17 poiuytr

poiuytr

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3428 posts
  • LocationState of Denial

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:20 AM

Not an anorexia movie but I saw a good documentary on Karen Carpenter.  Also not an ana movie but The Devil Wears Prada is always thinspiration for me.

• not_my_body likes this

mdJZlzb.gif

cute-anorexic-chicks-thrurscays-o-kdlt-f

My blog:

https://thinandhealt....wordpress.com/

#18 not_my_body

not_my_body

• Accountability access
  • 10007 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:35 AM

Here is the Catherine Movie.

#19 doing_for_thin

doing_for_thin

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1076 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:55 AM

My absolute favourite other than For the Love of Nancy is 'The Karen Carpenter Story' (TW Death, True Story) I was OBSESSED with this movie. I knew every single line said.

Yeah it's old but dam. It had a big impact on me.

I also agree with Sharing The Secret, The Life of Catherine/Catherine: the death of an Anorexic (TW death, true story), When Friendship Kills (bulimia and anorexia TW death), Perfect Body, Dying to Dance, Kate's Secret (bulimia TW death) and Dying to be Perfect: The Ellen Hart Pena Story (bulimia, true story)

If you want Documentaries, Dying to be Thin, Bronte's Story, Catwalk, Thin and Dana The 8 year old Anorexic (this last one I don't own)

I'm so lucky to have them all on DVD.

You're awesome! Thanks soooo much :) BTW I learned about Karen Carpenter and it truly is devastating. Poor thing. Apparently her mom was a bitch during her childhood and I feel bad for her brother whose had a lot of alcohol and drug problems too :/ Anyway, thanks so much again for sharing this ❤
  • not_my_body likes this

#20 doing_for_thin

doing_for_thin

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1076 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:57 AM

https://youtu.be/7k46hyj7vKk

Here is the Catherine Movie.

I've been watching it the last 30 mins, I really like it a lot. Not overly sensationalized or glorifying anorexia. It's obviously deeply tragic though and I do feel horrible for her.
  • Choco_Bitch_612 and not_my_body like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users