Unpopular [s]Opinion[/s] Fact: Psychiatric Medications Don't Cause Weight Gain - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Unpopular [s]Opinion[/s] Fact: Psychiatric Medications Don't Cause Weight Gain

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 I ruined lunch...purposely

I ruined lunch...purposely

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:32 PM

There are no psychiatric medications whatsoever which cause weight gain. However, many such medications are correlated weight gain. In fact, you will notice in more scrupulous scholarly publications that they say certain medications "increase the risk" of weight gain, rather than that they "cause" it. That is because they affect your appetite. They do not affect your metabolism. Some medications directly affect your appetite (particularly anti-psychotics, but also mirtazapine) but the vast majority affect it indirectly. That is, people tend of have a better appetite when they are less depressed or less anxious. So when you start taking a medication which improves you mood, you start to feel more hungry and therefore eat more.

It has been shown that anti-psychotic medications can effect the expression of the gene melanocortin 4 which affects appetite control. Mutations in this gene are linked to childhood obesity due to hyperphagia (extreme hunger).

In layman's terms, taking certain psychiatric medications can increase your appetite, but unless you increase your food intake, you will not gain weight. The only reason you would gain weight from a psychiatric medication is if you eat more than you are currently eating. The metabolic dysfunction associated with anti-psychotic medications is a side effect of weight gain, rather than the cause of it. In fact, it has been shown that weight gain from anti-psychotic medications can be prevented through nutritional counseling, talk therapy, and exercise.

https://www.utsouthw...psychotics.html

• skelliebelle, hentai, skin-of-me and 8 others like this

SW (Jul. 2016): 124.56 lbs (18.4)

LW (Sept. 2016): 92.37 lbs (13.6 at 5'9")

HW (2019): 146.6 lbs (21.0)

SW (11/15/21): 121.2 lbs (17.4)

Pre-Exams: CW (12/19/21): 112.4 lbs (16.1)

Post-Christmas: CW (1/11/21): 113.8 lbs (16.3)

GW1: 111.1 (15.9)

GW2: 104.2 (14.9)

GW3: 97.2 (13.9)

GW4: 95.1 (13.6 at 5'10")

UGW: 93.42 (13.4)

Accountability: https://www.myproana...nt-you-kill-me/

#2 wocsdrawkcab

wocsdrawkcab

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationAlbania

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:41 PM

Thought this was common knowledge. Most meds that cause "weight gain" increase appetite, like prednisone/steroids. 

• Seal with a Meal and beAbody like this

giphy.gif

#3 I ruined lunch...purposely

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:48 PM

Thought this was common knowledge. Most meds that cause "weight gain" increase appetite, like prednisone/steroids. 

I thought it was too. But I keep seeing people complain about or express worry about "uncontrollable" weight gain due to psych meds and it just irks me.

• hentai, penguín and Fragilepotato like this

#4 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3684 posts
  • LocationThe downstairs laboratory in the castle you shouldn't go near.

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:50 PM

One of the biggest reasons I stopped taking anti depressants over 12 years ago was because all of the leaflets that came with them said "increases risk of high blood sugar and type two diabetes mellitus". I understood that to mean that taking those pills increases your blood sugar even if you eat the same types of food and the same quantity as you always do.

In semi recovery, doing my best, harm reduction, reverse dieting, keeping weight stable in the healthy bmi range.

#5 I ruined lunch...purposely

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:01 PM

One of the biggest reasons I stopped taking anti depressants over 12 years ago was because all of the leaflets that came with them said "increases risk of high blood sugar and type two diabetes mellitus". I understood that to mean that taking those pills increases your blood sugar even if you eat the same types of food and the same quantity as you always do.

This applies specifically tricyclic antidepressants which are an antiquated class of drug. They are rarely used unless someone has been resistant to other forms of antidepressants such as SSRIs, SNRIs, and NDRIs. It is unclear how tricyclic antidepressants are related to hyperglycemia, but a correlation between the two has been observed. Newer drugs, SSRIs in particular, have actually been shown to improve glucose metabolism and lower blood sugar in both diabetic and non-diabetic patients.

Edited by I ruined lunch...purposely, 12 January 2022 - 03:34 PM.

• Igorina likes this

#6 Cripple Crow

Cripple Crow

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4042 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:09 PM

I think when people (like me) say it made them gain, we just mean our appetite went out of control and it caused gain as a result of raiding the fridge with passion . At least that’s what I mean!
  • MultitudesOfStars and aluminé like this

#7 Cripple Crow

Cripple Crow

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4042 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:12 PM

This applies specifically tricyclic antidepressants (such a mirtazapine) which are an antiquated class of drug. They are rarely used unless someone has been resistant to other forms of antidepressants such as SSRIs, SNRIs, and NDRIs. It is unclear how tricyclic antidepressants are related to hyperglycemia, but a correlation between the two has been observed. Newer drugs, SSRIs in particular, have actually been shown to improve glucose metabolism and lower blood sugar in both diabetic and non-diabetic patients.

Mirtazepine I believe is a tetracyclic, although closely related to tricyclics there are some differences.
  • with.a.fada likes this

#8 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3684 posts
  • LocationThe downstairs laboratory in the castle you shouldn't go near.

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:13 PM

This applies specifically tricyclic antidepressants (such a mirtazapine) which are an antiquated class of drug. They are rarely used unless someone has been resistant to other forms of antidepressants such as SSRIs, SNRIs, and NDRIs. It is unclear how tricyclic antidepressants are related to hyperglycemia, but a correlation between the two has been observed. Newer drugs, SSRIs in particular, have actually been shown to improve glucose metabolism and lower blood sugar in both diabetic and non-diabetic patients.

Thank you for the information. 

I think the warnings were on the leaflets of more common drugs like prozac/fluoxetine which I did take for a while.

In semi recovery, doing my best, harm reduction, reverse dieting, keeping weight stable in the healthy bmi range.

#9 I ruined lunch...purposely

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:23 PM

Mirtazepine I believe is a tetracyclic, although closely related to tricyclics there are some differences.

You're correct. My mistake.

#10 sillychu

sillychu

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:26 PM

I think when people (like me) say it made them gain, we just mean our appetite went out of control and it caused gain as a result of raiding the fridge with passion . At least that’s what I mean!

Me too. Especially anti-psychotics. I go nuts, and I was never a binger before. Made me gain a lot of weight >.<

Be Happy :) 

#11 Secretary

Secretary

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:33 PM

Well, yes, it is true that the medication in and of itself can't make you gain weight, as your calories would still have to come from somewhere. Even someone addicted to fasting could develop binge eating habits while taking these medications, though. That's what makes them so terrifying. I gained a lot of weight while taking Olanzapine despite having little appetite before bring prescribed it.
  • pumpkin seed likes this
qaemjp.png
Spoiler

#12 Cripple Crow

Cripple Crow

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4042 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:54 PM

Dp

Why is mpa doing this to me all the time!

#13 StarvingLlama*-*

StarvingLlama*-*

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17722 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 January 2022 - 03:00 PM

This makes me want to stop taking my Mirtazapine 🥲 I hate my doctor lmao I'm sure she described me exactly this one so that I gain weight. (My BMI is high 12s rn) That would explain why I'm extremely hungry all the time it hasn't really make me gain though because I refuse to eat more but it sure sucks to be hungry all the time, makes me BP more

Gesendet von meinem M2007J17G mit Tapatalk

#14 I ruined lunch...purposely

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 03:35 PM

This makes me want to stop taking my Mirtazapine I hate my doctor lmao I'm sure she described me exactly this one so that I gain weight. (My BMI is high 12s rn) That would explain why I'm extremely hungry all the time it hasn't really make me gain though because I refuse to eat more but it sure sucks to be hungry all the time, makes me BP more

That was my mistake. As Cripple Crow pointed out, Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic antidepressant, not a tricyclic. I went back and edited my original post to avoid further misinformation.

#15 Lizzie88

Lizzie88

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 03:58 PM

I think most people know this. Just like speed does not cause weight loss. But it is much easier to lose weight on speed due to having no appetite just like it is much easier to gain weight on anti psychotics due to increased appetite. I lost shit loads of weight on speed and gained shitloads on anti psychotics.
  • pumpkin seed, StarvingLlama*-* and bonesandamethysts like this

#16 featherweightdaydream

featherweightdaydream

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 04:35 PM

Exactly this!
Also if you’re someone who eats because you’re sad and trying to fill the void that is depression, going on antidepressants can make you lose weight by returning your appetite to normal (and giving you energy to live your life again rather than lie in bed all day).
  • golden kush likes this

28, NZ

Diagnosed with ED at 8. 20yrs later, I'm still here.

Height: 165cm

HW: 52kg

CW: 47.5kg

GW: 42kg

UGW: 39.9kg

#17 thinstrument

thinstrument

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3129 posts
  • LocationUpper Midwest...where it's cold

Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:33 PM

This makes me want to stop taking my Mirtazapine I hate my doctor lmao I'm sure she described me exactly this one so that I gain weight. (My BMI is high 12s rn) That would explain why I'm extremely hungry all the time it hasn't really make me gain though because I refuse to eat more but it sure sucks to be hungry all the time, makes me BP more

My cat is underweight and he was Rx'd mirtazapine as a transdermal gel specifically to increase appetite....

I ramble online at Carrots In My Carryon

#18 MinusOne

MinusOne

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:50 PM

Yup this is my experience. Lost weight on quetiapine and Lithium. Gained weight on Mirtazapine at one point… because I kept eating as was hungry (though hungry feels an understatement!!). All three drugs known for risk of increased weight. Only gained weight when I ate more. Ate less / the same and lost with the others. Agreeing with the unpopular opinion / fact!

#19 MinusOne

MinusOne

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:50 PM

Double post

#20 eingeschneit

eingeschneit

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Locationplanet earth 🌍💗♻️

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:28 AM

I totally agree with you! Let's take the contraceptive pill for an other example of medication that "causes" weight gain: I started taking it last year at the start of summer and started binging like crazy. Before I was able to liquid fast on 200cal for 10 days straight (difficult but doable for me!) and now I can't make it past day three. Totally fucked my brain. I noticed that I was getting fat and immediately stopped taking it bc fuck my doctor I'm not taking stuff that makes me fatter.
I started it again a few days ago bc I'm seeing my long distance boo soon but I already told them that if my boobs start to hurt like mofos again and I'm eating uncontrollably I'll immediately stop it. Nothing is worth weight gain imo.

The ?hunger? I was experiencing was really difficult to control and ignore, a new und unpleasant experience for me because before I never really felt hunger, obly cravings from time to time.

how long can u resist the choco bar?

eternity

where is the lyrical content?

Spoiler

Argyroneta aquatica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users