Unpopular [s]Opinion[/s] Fact: Psychiatric Medications Don't Cause Weight Gain - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Unpopular [s]Opinion[/s] Fact: Psychiatric Medications Don't Cause Weight Gain

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2470 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:26 AM

Yeah, my dad always says the reason he gained weight on the same meds as me was because we just had “different bodies”.

I never gained a lb due to them, but the idea of gaining weight from it always terrified me because my dad basically said meds can make you obese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you,

nice to know somebody loves me"

#22 coynine

coynine

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:43 AM

this thread is so reassuring. I knew this already, but it's nice to hear it again while on abilify and terrified of accidentally gaining weight :) thank you

• jpi332 likes this

cw: 95lbs/43kgs

gw: 85lbs/38kgs

-

:) ashley || they/she/he || ohio :) 

#23 Facilis Descensus Averni

Facilis Descensus Averni

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1754 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 01:54 PM

This has always irked me too, especially when people ask about the meds least likely to cause weight gain. Don’t get me wrong, I had that in my factors when considering which meds to accept but, ultimately, I haven’t gained any weight (and have actually lost weight) on three meds that have increased appetite and weight gain as common side effects. I’m also on a fairly high dose of all three - 600mg quetiapine, 45mg mirtazipine, and 150mg lamotrigine.

I’ve lost around 10kg over the course of the year, because I have gained and then lost again. But the times I’ve gained weight have simply been because I was eating more and weight training as well. Meds alone do not cause weight gain.

Fighting this as much as I'm feeding it...or not, as the case may be. 

Spoiler

Point of Order: I am highly likely to routinely forget to actually update this. 

#24 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3684 posts
  • LocationThe downstairs laboratory in the castle you shouldn't go near.

Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:15 PM

So just out of curiosity, are there medications that cause fat gain without you eating more?

I'm kind of suspecting some (if not all) anti histamines to do this. I've taken them in the past for full body rashes (allergic to the flu of all things) and took them for 2 weeks or 3 weeks each time.

I was restricting and not eating more (kept a food log as well) but noticed my weight loss stalled every time I took those meds.

iirc I've taken desloratadine a few times and another one (once) that didn't work. Desloratatine is part of the group of anti histamines that have no to very little sedative effect so I doubt that's the mechanism (you move less so you gain/don't lose).

In semi recovery, doing my best, harm reduction, reverse dieting, keeping weight stable in the healthy bmi range.

#25 I ruined lunch...purposely

I ruined lunch...purposely

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:25 PM

So just out of curiosity, are there medications that cause fat gain without you eating more?

I'm kind of suspecting some (if not all) anti histamines to do this. I've taken them in the past for full body rashes (allergic to the flu of all things) and took them for 2 weeks or 3 weeks each time.

I was restricting and not eating more (kept a food log as well) but noticed my weight loss stalled every time I took those meds.

iirc I've taken desloratadine a few times and another one (once) that didn't work. Desloratatine is part of the group of anti histamines that have no to very little sedative effect so I doubt that's the mechanism (you move less so you gain/don't lose).

The only thing that comes to mind is hormones. Like if you begin to take testosterone, your weight can remain stable, but you lose fat and gain muscle. The opposite goes for testosterone suppression/estrogen, you lose muscle and gain fat, but your weight can remain the same. Outside of that, I'm not aware of any medications that can alter your body composition. That's not to say they don't exist, I just haven't heard of them.

• Igorina and it’s fine like this

SW (Jul. 2016): 124.56 lbs (18.4)

LW (Sept. 2016): 92.37 lbs (13.6 at 5'9")

HW (2019): 146.6 lbs (21.0)

SW (11/15/21): 121.2 lbs (17.4)

Pre-Exams: CW (12/19/21): 112.4 lbs (16.1)

Post-Christmas: CW (1/11/21): 113.8 lbs (16.3)

GW1: 111.1 (15.9)

GW2: 104.2 (14.9)

GW3: 97.2 (13.9)

GW4: 95.1 (13.6 at 5'10")

UGW: 93.42 (13.4)

Accountability: https://www.myproana...nt-you-kill-me/

#26 Igorina

Igorina

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3684 posts
  • LocationThe downstairs laboratory in the castle you shouldn't go near.

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:38 PM

The only thing that comes to mind is hormones. Like if you begin to take testosterone, your weight can remain stable, but you lose fat and gain muscle. The opposite goes for testosterone suppression/estrogen, you lose muscle and gain fat, but your weight can remain the same. Outside of that, I'm not aware of any medications that can alter your body composition. That's not to say they don't exist, I just haven't heard of them.

Oh yeah, that's a great point.

I have an ex that went on HRT (mtf transition) and gained a lot of weight. Went from tall lanky underweight to being chubby and carrying way too much fat around the midsection.

I never asked if my ex started eating more though.

In semi recovery, doing my best, harm reduction, reverse dieting, keeping weight stable in the healthy bmi range.

#27 JustHold

JustHold

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:56 PM

Mirtazipine in addition to causing increased appetite ALSO has an unknown mechanism of action (perhaps slowed metabolism) that causes weight gain in some people. This was seen in studies.

For instance, I do not eat anything by mouth or feeding tube. I get all nutrition via IV. It is a set number of calories. It doesn’t change. My weight increased when I was using it for sleep. It wasn’t due to any increased calories. It wasn’t tons of weight or fast rapid gain but it was enough that I did stop taking it.
  • MultitudesOfStars, it’s fine, StarvingLlama*-* and 1 other like this

Pocrescophobic

Anorexia Nervosa-Restrictive Type

Continuing to work on recovery

#28 Emptyspirits

Emptyspirits

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2907 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:01 PM

Mirtazipine in addition to causing increased appetite ALSO has an unknown mechanism of action (perhaps slowed metabolism) that causes weight gain in some people. This was seen in studies.

For instance, I do not eat anything by mouth or feeding tube. I get all nutrition via IV. It is a set number of calories. It doesn’t change. My weight increased when I was using it for sleep. It wasn’t due to any increased calories. It wasn’t tons of weight or fast rapid gain but it was enough that I did stop taking it.

I’m on Mirtazapine I refuse to take it but when I was taking it I felt like a drunk zombie I felt awful. I slept all the time

#29 JustHold

JustHold

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:12 PM

I’m on Mirtazapine I refuse to take it but when I was taking it I felt like a drunk zombie I felt awful. I slept all the time

It was lovely when I was in the hospital made the days pass quickly because all I did was sleep but terrible for everything else.
  • Emptyspirits likes this

Pocrescophobic

Anorexia Nervosa-Restrictive Type

Continuing to work on recovery

#30 tove lo

tove lo

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2197 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:23 PM

Well, yes, it is true that the medication in and of itself can't make you gain weight, as your calories would still have to come from somewhere. Even someone addicted to fasting could develop binge eating habits while taking these medications, though. That's what makes them so terrifying. I gained a lot of weight while taking Olanzapine despite having little appetite before bring prescribed it.

I think I agree with what you're saying, but I think these meds are only potentially speeding up the inevitable. If you (anyone) are addicted to fasting, especially for days straight, and even more so if you're underweight, binges are going to come up no matter what. There's a limit to mental and physical discipline with fasting, and eventually if it gets too far, you (and me, any anyone else in this situation) will binge. I think introducing a new med that has an effect on appetite could cause the binge sooner, but it's not like it's the only reason someone ends up binging.. If that makes sense,lol idk.

Another thing I wonder about is how effective meds like these are when we are already in a deficit. Like the reason a lot of antidepressants tend to not work very well for people with EDs is because we lack the vitamins and fat in our bodies to actually absorb the medication right? I don't know for sure, but its something I'd like to read up on for sure. Sorry if this is confusing or didn't make sense I'm pretty out of it

#31 jackalyvia

jackalyvia

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 8023 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 15 January 2022 - 05:08 AM

It's true, meds dont cause weight gain or lack of self control
"Beatus istos ille, circa pes ad terra" (Blessed art thou with thier feet to the ground)<p>-RUNNING IS LIFE-
H - 5'9" goal - 99? Why not hahahahaha
I'm definitely falling in a rabbit hole now....

#32 StarvingLlama*-*

StarvingLlama*-*

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17722 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:02 PM

My cat is underweight and he was Rx'd mirtazapine as a transdermal gel specifically to increase appetite....

Okay then maybe it's just me and not the Mirtazapine idk but I'm extremely hungry recently probably only me being a fuck probably sry

Gesendet von meinem M2007J17G mit Tapatalk

#33 StarvingLlama*-*

StarvingLlama*-*

• Accountability access
  • 17722 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:06 PM

All those comments make me want to quit Mirtazapine for real lmao thanks I'm definitely stop taking it now!

#34 Emptyspirits

Emptyspirits

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2907 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:26 PM

It was lovely when I was in the hospital made the days pass quickly because all I did was sleep but terrible for everything else.

Same for me in residential.

#35 Facilis Descensus Averni

Facilis Descensus Averni

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1754 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 05:22 PM

All those comments make me want to quit Mirtazapine for real lmao thanks I'm definitely stop taking it now!

I’m on the highest therapeutic dose of mirtazipine (45mg) and have never noticed a significant change in my appetite. I’ve lost around 4kg in the last ~6 weeks as well, and take two other anti-psychotics, so it’s definitely possible.

• thinstrument and StarvingLlama*-* like this

Fighting this as much as I'm feeding it...or not, as the case may be. 

Spoiler

Point of Order: I am highly likely to routinely forget to actually update this. 

#36 Holiday

Holiday

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2091 posts
  • Locationin bed

Posted 16 January 2022 - 05:49 PM

Someone finally said it, thank u lol

I've seen a lot of posts on here recently from ppl asking if getting put on xyz med is gonna make them gain weight and getting a bunch of replies saying yes u will or how they gained like 30lbs on them. Personally tho I was on seroquel for years and a high dose too and never gained from it. I can't comment on appetite tho since I b/p anyway and appetite isn't really a factor in that for me.

It is true tho that it can increase appetite in some ppl, a lot of ED treatment center will put underweight patients on antipsychotics (Olanzapine/Zyprexa in paticular) since they can make u hungrier so that the person will want to eat more which could help speed up the weight restoration process

I'm sure it's different for everyone tho just like some ppl get the munchies from smoking weed and some ppl dont

I do think the weight gain side effect is sometimes hyped up too much on here and tbh it kinda worries me that someone who legit needs that type of med might get scared off from taking it or stop taking it if they're already on it
  • Facilis Descensus Averni likes this

Height: 5'6

Weight: 81.6lbslbs (12-28-21)

BMI: 13.2

AN b/p

Spoiler

dc1b0b6926bce8d027dae9d28dcbbd9d.jpg

#37 Emptyspirits

Emptyspirits

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2907 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 11:40 PM

I’m on the highest therapeutic dose of mirtazipine (45mg) and have never noticed a significant change in my appetite. I’ve lost around 4kg in the last ~6 weeks as well, and take two other anti-psychotics, so it’s definitely possible.

I’m on 45mg too. No weight gain, just feel dead asf when I do take it.

#38 StarvingLlama*-*

StarvingLlama*-*

• Accountability access
  • 17722 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2022 - 03:11 PM

Thank you! Oh 4kg is amazing congratz on the loss! And You're probably right I mean I did lose weight while on it got to my Lowest BMI 12 but the hunger really sucks so much. I'd rather be not feeling like starving all the time since it makes me BP more often

#39 Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1178 posts
  • LocationA kingdom far, far away

Posted 17 January 2022 - 03:17 PM

I've heard some people say that they changed nothing, kept their calories the same, kept their activity level the same, but still gained significant weight on medication. Part of that could be attributed to water because some medications promote water retention, but that would only account for a couple of pounds. These people had gained 10, 20, 30+ pounds.

Just like our understanding of nutrition and the effects of macronutrients changes, I think it is possible we do not know everything about what medication can be capable of in the body. 

• Facilis Descensus Averni likes this

CW: 93 lbsGW1: 115 GW2: 108 UGW: 98 New UGW: Dead

"imma soft bitch sad kid"

#40 skelliebelle

skelliebelle

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4550 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 03:30 PM

totally agree. i think non ed people are the worst about putting all the blame on the medication

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users