For those who track calories, how do you log when you eat out? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

For those who track calories, how do you log when you eat out?

MFP calories tracking eating out CICO

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wakeme

wakeme

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSouth America

Posted 12 January 2022 - 06:02 PM

I have a dinner event this Saturday - which I'm looking forward too tbh - but I have no idea what will be served there. I plan to make this my only meal of the day, no problem, I just have no idea what number to put on MFP. Should I put my TDEE? BMR? Not log this day at all?

Thanks

26 || 171 cm/5' 6" || HW/SW : 75.6 kg/167 lbs || CW :  70 kg/154.3 lbs || GW1 : 71.2kg/157 lbs (✔️ July 2nd 2021) || GW2 : 68.3 kg/150.7 lbs || GW3 : 66 kg / 145.5 lbs || GW4 : 64 kg/141.1 lbs || GW5 : 59.8 kg/131.9 lbs

167 166 165 164 163 162 161 160

159 158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150

149 148 147 146 145 144 143 142 141 140

139 138 137 136 135 134 133 132 131 130

#2 douchygabbana

douchygabbana

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationNL

Posted 12 January 2022 - 06:06 PM

If I were you and it were to also be my only meal of the day, I'd just not log it at all. Try to enjoy the dinner as much as you can. You deserve it! Don't worry about the tracking. 

• ☆PaisleySky☆, saturn and danceswithelves like this

ENFP

Taurus

174 cm (5'8.5)

CW: yikes

GW: 55 kg (121 lbs)

UGW: < 45 kg (100 lbs) {bmi 14.9}

#3 Heisenbυrg

Heisenbυrg

Lord Heisenburg

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69548 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 12 January 2022 - 06:09 PM

I’d just log it as my total intake for the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a youtube channel too!

subscribe if ya want

(going to upload videos soon!.. more ed content and random shit)

https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

"Heis,
You are you,
Perfection and goals,
How I long to see you be whole" - S'mores

#4 ☆PaisleySky☆

☆PaisleySky☆

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2773 posts
  • LocationPNW🌲

Posted 12 January 2022 - 06:13 PM

I don’t eat out very often, so when I do I don’t even bother to count cals or log them that day. It feels too uncertain, plus if I’m going to be spending money to eat at a restaurant I at least want to enjoy the experience without letting my ED ruin it.
  • Hanna94, alminxyeva, saturn and 1 other like this

5'2"

CW 92 lbs 🐳

LW 76 lbs

Recovery failure.

✨Watch my relapse here✨

#5 Lia_42.5

Lia_42.5

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 January 2022 - 06:35 PM

I'd say its way better to not log it at all or just log it as your total intake if you dont want a gap in your log.

What i do is i try to figure out all the components in the food, try to estimate how much of it is in there and then double the total calories just to be sure. Of course its uncertain as hell, stresses me out and isnt helpful at all. So, if i could i would just write it off as my total calories for the day and dont worry about it too much.

stats:

Spoiler

#6 #turtles

#turtles

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNorthern U.S.

Posted 12 January 2022 - 06:47 PM

I google the type of food if it's general enough and try to figure it out that way. Since it'll be your only meal though I think logging it as your TDEE is fine cause that'll probably be an over estimate and then whatever you lose despite having that higher number logged is a bonus.

h 5'7/170cm

hw 140 lbs/63.5 kg, 21.9 bmi

lw 104.8 lbs/47.5 kg, 16.4 bmi

cw 105.0 lbs/47.6 kg, 16.4 bmi

ugw 98 lbs/44.5 kg, 15.3 bmi

#7 Simply.olive

Simply.olive

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 04:29 PM

Depends on where. If it’s a chain restaurant I’ll google and round up the cals. If it’s a smaller family restaurant then I google recipes with the calories provided and then round up and use that or I breakdown the ingredients I think are in the dish and eyeball it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 slimandshady

slimandshady

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:27 PM

If the restaurant doesn’t have the nutritional info, I don’t.
There’s been very rare occasions where I have actually had something I didn’t know the calories of but I just made it an omad then. I never do omad but I would in a scenario like that. And i’ll also overestimate the calories like crazy.

LObqZO.png

bmi 14.7 / cw: 82.8 / ugw: 80 / hw: 180

#9 lucilediet

lucilediet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:33 PM

Take a picture of your meal/what you're eating (this is normal in today's society) and try to eat minimal, follow ur habits etc. After the dinner try to log accurately based on the pictures and ur memory

#10 Giraffe4743

Giraffe4743

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:14 AM

#11 StarvingLlama*-*

StarvingLlama*-*

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17881 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2022 - 05:08 PM

I don't lmao. If I would I would just Google the ingredients or the meal and go with the highest guess I'd find and be anxious for the rest of the day and don't eat anything else. But tbh one meal won't ruin anything in the long run just try to enjoy yourself and forget about it just for one day. I know easier said than done though

Gesendet von meinem M2007J17G mit Tapatalk
  • ☆PaisleySky☆ likes this

#12 Seal with a Meal

Seal with a Meal

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2760 posts
  • LocationNYC, USA

Posted 14 January 2022 - 05:17 PM

I like to look at weekly so I slightly overestimate or log it as TDEE if i can't. But if i'm not looking at my weekly deficit i don't log it at all! 

❤️‍🔥 5'1'' & 89 lbs
❤️‍🔥 gw: 85 lbs

Accountability/Journal

Spoiler

#13 it’s fine

it’s fine

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 January 2022 - 04:50 AM

i’ve only eaten out somewhere with no nutritional info once during this relapse, but i always follow the same policy:
- look at the menu ahead of time to decide what i want (i do this even when not restricting…autism)
- google search similar dishes at other restaurants that DO have nutritional info
- make the restaurant meal my OMAD
- estimate the calories as best i can and then round up

i HAVE to log calories, it’s my biggest compulsion in my ED. i have to know roughly what i ate, and i need to be able to look back on it later.
🌱🌸

#14 EDgirl

EDgirl

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 05:03 AM

OMAD and I don't log. I just eat as a little as possible to not be weird among others.

#15 lithesome

lithesome

Certified Diet Coke Addict™

• Accountability access
  • 5516 posts
  • Locationa shitty country in eastern europe

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:05 AM

Restaurants in my country don't have calories displayed on the menu neither on-line nor on-site, but they always have the size. So I look up what I ate on my tracking app and adjust the size accordingly.

But usually I stick to low-cal stuff like soup or veggies anyway to make sure the calories aren't too far off.

tumblr_ll7wgcEB5I1qi6qow.gif bodychecks | accountability40-day fast ✓  tumblr_ll7wgcEB5I1qi6qow.gif

tumblr_o3lnfswVgH1twgsxao1_400.gif

hbmi: 17 tumblr_inline_p7gikbj0Ae1snulow_540.gif lbmi: 12 tumblr_inline_p7gikbj0Ae1snulow_540.gif gbmi: 11

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MFP, calories tracking, eating out, CICO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users